PDA

View Full Version : Kings, Abdur-Rahim moving closer to a deal

Kori Ellis
08-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Kings, Abdur-Rahim moving closer to a deal
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 3:14 pm PDT Thursday, August 11, 2005

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/13392930p-14234323c.html

Barring a disaster like the one that made Shareef Abdur-Rahim available to begin with, the All-Star forward is about to become a King.
While his agent, Aaron Goodwin, said there are three teams still in the running, it's clear the Kings remain in front and a deal could be made soon.

"We're moving forward to get a deal done with Sacramento," Goodwin said. "We're looking at hopefully getting something done tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday."

Goodwin, however, would not call his client King Abdur-Rahim just yet, not surprising since the player was headed to New Jersey until a sign-and-trade with Portland collapsed on Tuesday.

"I've been at this 19 years, and a done deal is not a done deal until it's signed," he said.

Adding the nine-year veteran to their roster would instantly up the Kings' position in the Western Conference, with the starting five likely consisting of Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Peja Stojakovic, Abdur-Rahim, and Brad Miller. It would also give them a marquee name at the power forward position, which has been manned by Kenny Thomas and Darius Songaila since the Kings traded Chris Webber to Philadelphia in February.

Abdur-Rahim has averaged 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds in his career, higher numbers than any current Kings player. But part of his production was the byproduct of playing on woeful teams, a trend Abdur-Rahim is looking to end. Abdur-Rahim has said since becoming a free agent that joining a winner was his top priority. He has never played in the playoffs, not in his five seasons in Vancouver or his time in Atlanta or Portland. The Kings, meanwhile, are seeking their eighth straight playoff berth. Asked if Abdur-Rahim was more attracted to Sacramento for financial or basketball reasons, Goodwin answered quickly.

"It's absolutely for basketball reasons," Goodwin said. "He now walks into a position where he continues to play, and there are no questions about his ability to play. He can play with Mike Bibby, and he gives them a low-post presence."

Abdur-Rahim and Bibby played together for four years in Vancouver.

The terms of the potential contract have yet to be settled. The Kings, who are over the salary cap, could use their $5 million mid-level exception for the signing. They could also convince Portland General Manager John Nash to do a sign-and-trade, though Nash has been against the idea in the past. Abdur-Rahim's deal with New Jersey was nixed when he failed a team physical that revealed scar tissue in his right knee. But Abdur-Rahim and Goodwin have insisted that it is the aftereffects of the arthroscopic surgery he had in high school, and that the scar tissue has never hindered his NBA career. Abdur-Rahim has averaged 74 games in his nine seasons. He did, however, miss 22 games in Portland last season after undergoing surgery in mid-January to address loose particles in his right elbow.

Knoxville Spur
08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Darn, I was hoping we could make a run at SAR, since he claimed to want to play for a winner. Sac might be better if Miller is healthy, but I don't see any championships in their future.

I guess Portland does not need a center, because for a team in need Rasho's contract would not be that bad. Remember when he put up all those 20-10 games when Duncan was out? His production just takes a nosedive when playing with Duncan. Maybe Portland is just being stubborn, but no sign and trade for Rasho = no Rahim and maybe waiting on Scola (cheaper) and keeping Beno (potential trade throw-in) is a better strategy.

Bruno
08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Great news for spurs : Kings give all the MLE to rahim and have no more money to match an offer from Spurs on Maurice Evans (if i have well understood the new CBA)

Manu20
08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I guess SAR's does not want a ring.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I guess SAR's does not want a ring.

I guess the Spurs don't want SAR.

Horry For 3!
08-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I guess the Spurs don't want SAR.
True.

Nikos
08-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Lot of offense for the Kings. But where is the defense, where are the role players who will rebound and make the hustle plays?

Spurminator
08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Either way, my surprise Lottery pick for 2006 is Ramento.

mavsfan1000
08-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Sacramento looks like the Dallas team of 2003-04. They got no one who can play defense with a lineup of Bibby, Wells, Stojakovic, Abdur Rahim, and Brad Miller. That will be an entertaining team but will lose in the first round. I say they are the 6th seed.

Mr. Body
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
I think as long as the Kings make the playoffs, SAR will be happy. A starving man doesn't need lobster and steak.

Supergirl
08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Apparently the Kings are giving up on defense. A line up that consists of Peja, Bonzi, SAR, and Bibby? That's worse than the Mavs lineups under Nelson.

yavozerb
08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Its funny how many teams are going to try to copy the Phoneix Suns run-n-gun offense!!Didnt they watch the Western Conference Finals and what happened to this system??

CaptainLate
08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Reply: I guess SAR's does not want a ring.
Reply: I guess the Spurs don't want SAR.
Reply: Correct. They want Maurice Evans instead of Devin Brown.

Lot of offense for the Kings. But where is the defense, where are the role players who will rebound and make the hustle plays?

Colin Cowert interviewed Joe Maloof this morning in The Herd on ESPN Radio. Maloof said they expected to sign SAR and that he liked their starting five to compete for a title. Well, I wondered, too, where's the defense.