PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mark Cuban Ready for Tim Duncan to Win 5th Ring, Then Retire

Chris
05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2074662-mark-cuban-ready-for-tim-duncan-to-win-5th-ring-then-retire?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/907/991/hi-res-6080f141374d23f3eb9d46d9f036c2d6_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

Mark Cuban has had enough of Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs, and he happens to be rooting for them.

His logic?

If San Antonio wins it all this time, Duncan just might decide to retire and go out on top. On Friday, Cuban explained his thinking on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin Show (per ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon):

I want San Antonio to win. I want Tim Duncan to hit a game-winning shot to win Game 7, then go to the Finals, do the exact same thing, hit a game-winning shot in Game 7, run down the tunnel, never to be seen from again. I want him to retire on the spot. I hope he gets that last ring and it’s all the incentive he needs to retire.

Duncan's retirement would theoretically make it a little easier for Cuban's Dallas Mavericks to contend for their own title. The Spurs knocked the Mavs out of the postseason in a classic, seven-game first-round series.

Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is looking for one more ring, himself. At 35, Nowitzki's days are numbered, and so too are his chances to bring home another title.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/555/146/hi-res-a60a3ec80272fb09639e6ba1e4f87f0c_crop_exact.jpg?w= 650&h=433&q=85
John Shearer/Associated Press

Now 38, Duncan's days would appear to be even more numbered. But the Big Fundamental is aging gracefully, averaging 16.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 33.1 minutes through 14 playoff games. He scored 27 in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

His feelings on retirement remain somewhat of a mystery at the moment. Back in February, George Karl told ESPN's Sportscenter (via Project Spurs' Paul Garcia), "I got a couple of phone calls, one from San Antonio that said that Tim Duncan's thinking this is going to be his last year."

Duncan subsequently denied that he was leaning one way or the other, according to Spurs Nation's Mike Monroe: "I’d like to know who he talked to. I don’t know what I’m going to do so I don’t know how he knows what I’m going to do."

He echoed that sentiment later in March, saying he was taking the decision "game-by-game."

After Game 1 against the Mavericks, Duncan suggested that he might not be ready to hang it up.

Having the ability to make another couple of runs doesn't necessarily translate into having the interest, however. It remains to be seen whether Duncan is truly committed to returning or just speculating that he's entirely capable of doing so.

Duncan has a player-option worth over $10.3 million to return for the 2014-15 campaign.

Whatever Duncan decides to do, we may not have much forewarning. As CBSSports.com's Matt Moore notes, he's not the type to solicit attention:

Duncan's not going to give anyone the opportunity to honor him. There will probably not be a farewell tour. He'll simply be playing in the NBA one day, and not be playing in the NBA the next. And we'll likely never hear from him again, outside of a short speech at his Hall of Fame induction.

When the day finally comes, the post-Duncan era will be a strange one for San Antonio. Tony Parker could stick around for the foreseeable future and 22-year-old Kawhi Leonard appears ready to shoulder increased responsibility. But it won't be easy even for this team to recover from the loss of one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Strange Love
05-24-2014, 06:33 PM
I agree with Cuban. He's been speaking alot of truths lately.

Perfect way to go out in my opinion. Although a game seven against OKC is definitely not preferable because you know the refs won't allow for meth to lose out.

HemisfairArena
05-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Ring or no ring,,,,Duncan is the best player of his generation and best PF of All Time,,,,he'll retire when he wants.

Jacob1983
05-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Give up 10 million after ringing again? I'm gonna say no. Money talks. Besides, Duncan's man lover might need some cash.

jimbo
05-25-2014, 01:59 AM
If Tim were in it for the money, he'd have gotten much more in his last deal than he did. He could practically state out his terms and the Spurs would jump to do it tbh. (See: the franchise killer in LA)

But maybe things have changed since the divorce? Who knows. (tbh i still think if he wanted to he could tell the Spurs to decline the option and resign him for the max and they'd do it)

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2014, 06:22 AM
if spurs do ring

duncan will opt out of his player option for less to repeat, or leave the spurs in a position where they can bring someone in when his still here to build around the younger players

dg7md
05-25-2014, 06:44 AM
It'd be unfortunate to have him retire when he's still producing at a capable level, but I'd be satisfied to have the last visions of Duncan in the NBA be him lifting the trophy as Finals MVP. It'd be amazing and a lot like D-Rob's, which I still remember fondly to this day.

That being said, if he feels like he can still play, he totally should, but it wouldn't be as graceful of an exit if he can't retire winning the title.

FkLA
05-25-2014, 07:07 AM
It'd be cool for him to retire on top but it'll be cooler when he retires after successfuly defending his title tbh.

illusioNtEk
05-25-2014, 08:39 PM
duncan will retire in 2016. book it

BlackSwordsMan
05-25-2014, 08:41 PM
He just wants one less black person in the league. Fuck this racist cracka