PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this trade?

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-12-2005, 01:41 AM
If what was reported was correct that Steven Hunter has signed for the Sixers, would the Suns be interested in talking trade with us?

Heres what I was thinking. Suns send Shawn Marion to the Spurs.

Spurs send Nazr, Beno, Devin Brown and maybe rights to Scola or a 2nd round pick to the Suns.

Why Im thinking this. Suns have tried to shop Marion before. And they probably didnt like it when he self destructed against the Spurs last year. Suns need a back up PG especially if JJ is leaving and Beno may be a good fit for them. Devin could play SF for them and get more playing time. Devin can run with the Suns and fit into their game. Nazr will give them a center cause Kurt Thomas aint a true center and they can rotate those 2 positions with Nazr, Thomas and Amare and add addtional cover since Steven Hunter left town. The pick or rights to Scola is to make the deal sweeter.

The Spurs can then solve the headache and keep Rasho as their starting center with Oberto backing up. Dont have to worry about resigning Nazr. They seem to have given up on Beno so that rids them of another headache. Brent Barry can then play back up PG and Manu can also spot some time there and handle the ball. Marion would then give us options or going TD at center and Marion at PF or Marion at SF. Good rebounding presence for us.

Im not sure if the numbers add up and stuff. But I just thought about it so flame me if you will.

Mr. Body
08-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Heres what I was thinking. Suns send Shawn Marion to the Spurs.

Spurs send Nazr, Beno, Devin Brown and maybe rights to Scola or a 2nd round pick to the Suns.

No offense, but the Suns would be utterly insane to make that trade. It's like the Barkley trade in reverse - what was it, Antonio Lang and Jeff Hornacek?

The Spurs would be nutso to let it slip by if it was there, though.

batman2883
08-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Hell no are you stupid trying to send our best Center to another team to help them get better at point, and the center position not to mention giving them Scola, so they could have a freaking beast on both sides of the boards next season???? Man send them Rasho make them suck more....

YamaSama
08-12-2005, 08:13 AM
At first glance, I would say that the Spurs would be idiots not to do this trade. But check out Marion's contract sometime - it's HUGE. My guess is the Spurs wouldn't touch this with a 20-ft. stick. (And Phoenix wouldn't consider giving up one of their Big 3 for so little in return).

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Do y'all even watch the NBA playoffs? Marion is a zero when it matters (in the playoffs when teams play defense), and you want to send Phoenix, a team with no bench, a starter and two solid bench players for a guy who disappears when anyone plays any semblance of defense on him?

Some of you need to step away from your fantasy league hoops dreams once in a while and come join the rest of us in reality.

mcdunk
08-12-2005, 09:20 AM
No way to Marion the Suns can keep that overinflated contract.

MiNuS
08-12-2005, 09:45 AM
what?!! heck no!

benjirh
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Once again I am amazed at the logic of some of these posters. Aggie do you watch the nba? Marion is a beast! The guy was the 3RD leading rebounder in the NBA. He is 6-7. He had a horrible series. End of story. He is not an overated player. If this trade worked out it would be fine with me. But unless we would resign Brown to a deal starting around 4.5 mil, the numbers won't work.

ALVAREZ6
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
WTF??????
:wtf
:wtf:wtf
:wtf:wtf:wtf
:wtf:wtf
:wtf

HELL NO!!!

spurschick
08-12-2005, 04:13 PM

For one guy?! Daaaaammmmmmn!

Extra Stout
08-12-2005, 04:22 PM
The trade is unacceptable to either side.

For the Spurs: they can't afford Marion.

For the Suns: they'd be trading an All-Star for Nazr and a bunch of spare parts.

In any event, contenders within a conference never make significant trades with one another.

BillsCarnage
08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
The amount of players included would be needed to come close to the salary of Marion. The only player the Suns would be interested in is Nazr.

But since we're smokin the pipe on this proposal and as the lone Suns rep, i'll do it..

HAHAHA.. Thanks for the players and i hope Marion does great for ya.. SUCKERS!!!!

Rescueone
08-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Nope, I'd do it if you swap Nazi for Rasho, and leave Scola out of the equation. Scola should not be added incentive to ANY trade debates. The Spurs are going to need him next year! It will not happen anyway because of the inter conf rival.

cecil collins
08-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Nope, I'd do it if you swap Nazi for Rasho, and leave Scola out of the equation. Scola should not be added incentive to ANY trade debates. The Spurs are going to need him next year! It will not happen anyway because of the inter conf rival.

What he said.

On that note, when we traded Barbosa to the Suns for a first round pick, what happened? The suns ended up blowing nuts that year, and were in the lottery, so is that why the spurs didn't get anything, or am I wrong and they were compensated? Anyone knows, it would be appreciated, as it has many-a-time been nagging at my brain.

Reggie Miller
08-14-2005, 12:37 PM
It doesn't seem sensible to use Scola's rights as ballast in any trade. You aren't dumping salary. Scola may be unsignable, at least in the near future, so you won't get much for the rights either.

I would also argue that Scola will be more valuable to the Spurs than any other team. With Manu and Oberto in place, the "learning curve" isn't going to be steep at all. Can you imagine opponents reaction when the the Spurs' check in 60% of the Gold Medal Argentine team late in the first quarter?

marcus
08-14-2005, 12:39 PM
lol, that would only be good for the spurs if Nesterovic is traded instead of Marion.

thispego
08-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Do y'all even watch the NBA playoffs? Marion is a zero when it matters (in the playoffs when teams play defense), and you want to send Phoenix, a team with no bench, a starter and two solid bench players for a guy who disappears when anyone plays any semblance of defense on him?

Some of you need to step away from your fantasy league hoops dreams once in a while and come join the rest of us in reality.
bowen was the one and only reason marion was a nonfactor in our series.

Isiah Thomas
08-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Hell yes I would

Dre_7
08-14-2005, 12:57 PM

It's NAZR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dre_7
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
And no, I wouldnt do this trade.

TexasAggie2005
08-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Are you kidding? Marion makes around $12 million a year, last time I checked. We'd be crippled for years to come and have no way to fill out the roster. I like him as a player, but we couldn't afford the pricetag.

wildbill2u
08-14-2005, 06:03 PM
We've got a damn good team the way it stands. Tinkering around the edges is OK but no 'genius moves' are needed.

Besides, we'd have to replace a hell of a lot of players in just a couple of months. Who would you pick up? Trash and ovr-priced old vets? No thank you.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
For all you Scola lovers out there. I really think you guys should get back and realise something. If Scola is really that good, I believe the Spurs office will pay to get him outta his club. I believe that the Spurs office are uncertain what to make of Scola. Hes good no doubt but is he going to be worth buying out?

I really have this niggling feeling that hes going to become another Malik Rose type player. No way is he going to own the 4 in this league. And he aint that good on defense.

I would say the salaries can be worked to match up. Get Devin to do a sign and trade. If Marion is willing to play for the Spurs and win, get him to restructure his contract or something.

I also see that you guys are somewhat split on the players I proposed sending to the Suns. Some think that we are helping them while others think that the Suns wont do it cause the players are a bunch of spare parts. But I was thinking maybe the Suns would do it cause it would help upgrade their defense and although they will be giving up points, their man child would then be the main focus of their offense.

Well some times trades are not always an obvious win win for both sides. Teams wanna take risks sometimes. And there are always lop sided trades. Isiah could vouch for that.

Dex
08-14-2005, 09:05 PM
I think you are still missing the two key problems with this proposal.

1) The Spurs wouldn't financially handcuff themselves with Marion's heavy contract, which would make him the second highest paid player on the team. There is no way San Antonio is going to pay him 13 million, only 2 million less than Duncan is getting per season, to be the fourth option on our team. Especially if they have to ship off three or four guys to do it. For a single guy, he's not worth the dough.

2) The guy is a perrenial playoff headcase. He got locked down by Bruce Bowen last year to the point of non-distinction, and pretty much seemed to put himself out of things in 2003. The Spurs, even IF they could afford him, probably wouldn't take it.

This team's identity revolves around Tim, Manu, and Tony, and I don't think they plan on changing that any time soon.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-14-2005, 09:51 PM
I think you are still missing the two key problems with this proposal.

1) The Spurs wouldn't financially handcuff themselves with Marion's heavy contract, which would make him the second highest paid player on the team. There is no way San Antonio is going to pay him 13 million, only 2 million less than Duncan is getting per season, to be the fourth option on our team. Especially if they have to ship off three or four guys to do it. For a single guy, he's not worth the dough.

2) The guy is a perrenial playoff headcase. He got locked down by Bruce Bowen last year to the point of non-distinction, and pretty much seemed to put himself out of things in 2003. The Spurs, even IF they could afford him, probably wouldn't take it.

This team's identity revolves around Tim, Manu, and Tony, and I don't think they plan on changing that any time soon.

He wont be the fourth option. Spurs dont really care whos the next option after TD.

And is you complain that hes a PERRENIAL playoff headcase u really got to be joking. Just cause he got locked down be Bowen means hes a headcase? So Ray Allen is another headcase? How about all the others who claimed that Bowen was a thug?

Anyway all you guys have been complaining about how Parker is a PERENNIAL playoff headcase.

I would think anytime u can afford an all-star calibre player who can help your team get better without disrupting chemistry, I think the Spurs will ALWAYS take it.

Kori Ellis
08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
This trade would never happen. The Suns would never trade someone of Marion's caliber to the Spurs and Marion's contract is too big for the Spurs to take on. But Spurs fans who say that Marion wouldn't improve the Spurs are nuts. He's averages nearly 18 and 10 for his career.

Extra Stout
08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
What he said.

On that note, when we traded Barbosa to the Suns for a first round pick, what happened? The suns ended up blowing nuts that year, and were in the lottery, so is that why the spurs didn't get anything, or am I wrong and they were compensated? Anyone knows, it would be appreciated, as it has many-a-time been nagging at my brain.The Spurs didn't lose the pick. Since the Suns were good this past year, the Spurs had the rights to their 2005 pick, and traded it to New York as part of the Rose-Mohammed trade.

Isiah Thomas threw away the pick on a bad player, as usual.

Rynospursfan
08-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Marion is a zero when it matters

He, like almost anyone, is much better when not having to go against Bruce Bowen.

marcus
08-15-2005, 02:04 AM
For all you Scola lovers out there. I really think you guys should get back and realise something. If Scola is really that good, I believe the Spurs office will pay to get him outta his club. I believe that the Spurs office are uncertain what to make of Scola. Hes good no doubt but is he going to be worth buying out?

I really have this niggling feeling that hes going to become another Malik Rose type player. No way is he going to own the 4 in this league. And he aint that good on defense.

I would say the salaries can be worked to match up. Get Devin to do a sign and trade. If Marion is willing to play for the Spurs and win, get him to restructure his contract or something.

I also see that you guys are somewhat split on the players I proposed sending to the Suns. Some think that we are helping them while others think that the Suns wont do it cause the players are a bunch of spare parts. But I was thinking maybe the Suns would do it cause it would help upgrade their defense and although they will be giving up points, their man child would then be the main focus of their offense.

Well some times trades are not always an obvious win win for both sides. Teams wanna take risks sometimes. And there are always lop sided trades. Isiah could vouch for that.

The Spurs needed to pay him more than 3 millons to bring him to San Antonio.

They know he is good but he might not adjust well to the nba game and if that happens then they have to carry the millons contract for nothing.

Meanwhile Oberto has a similar level to Scola, he is more experienced and will cost less.

Besides we still have the rights for Luis Scola for next year.

cecil collins
08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
The Spurs didn't lose the pick. Since the Suns were good this past year, the Spurs had the rights to their 2005 pick, and traded it to New York as part of the Rose-Mohammed trade.

Isiah Thomas threw away the pick on a bad player, as usual.

Thank you very much. I looked at the draft scroll, and never saw any "from San Antonio" picks, but perhaps they forgot it...or I just missed it. That was a bad trade for New York, considering they might cut Malik soon. I like Malik, but Nazr is a ton better for this team.

Rescueone
08-15-2005, 08:31 AM
It's NAZR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, my bad, DON"T BLOW A GASKET! It's an honest typo mistake! I guess we all should emphasize the "R" a little better or give him a nick-name.

Rescueone
08-15-2005, 08:50 AM

The Spurs could only "contribute" per NBA rules, $300,000 towards Scola's buyout with Tau. The Spurs can't buyout anyones contract! It was Scola's responsibility to come up with the rest of his buyout! With the Spurs re-signing Horry and Rasho not traded, this left Scola out of the loop as far as money and positions on the team is concerned. If Scola would have accepted the LLE, and payed his own buyout, he wouldn't have made that much money this year. That's why he's not a Spur this year. Next year his buyout will be much less, and he will be a Spur!

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Marion's contract is too damn big for anyone in the league to touch and that's too steep an asking price in your scenario. Besides, the trade would give the Suns a true center and some badly needed depth. Meanwhile the Spurs would get their long three but at the price of handcuffing themselves financially for years to come. Let's learn from the Suns mistakes, not join them.

angel_luv
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
what?!! heck no!

Well said! :lol My sentiments exactly!

Supergirl
08-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Marion is the best player on the Suns, and the most consistant. The reason why he sucked against the Spurs is easy: Bruce Bowen.

BTW, no way would I do this trade. And the Suns shouldn't either. And they won't. And we won't.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
The Spurs would do that deal in a heartbeat.

1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Marion
4 Duncan
5 Oberto

benjirh
08-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Are you kidding? Marion makes around $12 million a year, last time I checked. We'd be crippled for years to come and have no way to fill out the roster. I like him as a player, but we couldn't afford the pricetag.

I don't think people really understand the cap. First off, we are already over the cap. All we can offer is the MLE. And it doesn't matter how much salary you add, once you are over the cap you have the MLE. Second, draft picks and MIN level players can always be added. So we will always be able to fill out a roster. The question is whether we hit the luxury tax. I am not supporting having a 90 mil roster, but going over the lux tax by 2, 3, even 5 or 6 million is not going to kill us. If it guaruntees that we stay competitive than do it.

remingtonbo2001
08-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Put Raho in, take Nazi and Brown out.....Scola's worth at least....what....14 million..Haha!

Extra Stout
08-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Marion is the best player on the Suns, and the most consistant. The reason why he sucked against the Spurs is easy: Bruce Bowen. Best player? On a team with Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash? Hardly. Marion can't even create his own offense.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-16-2005, 01:36 AM
Marion's contract is too damn big for anyone in the league to touch.

please I can name at least one team who will swallow up any contract of any size.

Dre_7
08-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Oops, my bad, DON"T BLOW A GASKET! It's an honest typo mistake!

No its cool, it just bugs me a lil bit. It has been typed "Nazi" several times here. :lol

I guess we all should emphasize the "R" a little better or give him a nick-name.

Tim called him Nas a few times (or is it spelled Naz?? Wateva).