PDA

View Full Version : True Hoop Video on Kevin Love to the Spurs (Hypothetical/Fantasy)

BillMc
05-26-2014, 08:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10975944

Didn't see this elsewhere.

In short:

In this (very) hypothetical situation the Spurs might trade Splitter or Leonard for Love.

Love's presence might extend Pop's interest in coaching the team past Duncan's retirement.

All speculation. But, hey, it's a message board.

Not sure I'd want Love for Leonard or even Splitter. That said, he could do some amazing things with the open looks Love would get in our offense.

Mal
05-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Love will be a great fit for Spurs, but I cant see any trade happening, unless Love just go there and say - "I wont sign with any other team than Spurs. Minnesota trade me there now, or I will leave to SA in 2015"

But that wont happen, since Love wants to play in LA or NY.

BillMc
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Love will be a great fit for Spurs, but I cant see any trade happening, unless Love just go there and say - "I wont sign with any other team than Spurs. Minnesota trade me there now, or I will leave to SA in 2015"

But that wont happen, since Love wants to play in LA or NY.

All true. But he's said he wants to go to a winner. So based on the LA/NY thing you mention, that would be the Clippers? Griffin for Love?

dg7md
05-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Love for Splitter, do it... Kawhi, not a chance. Not worth it. Either way he's probably going to a bigger market tbh.

Spursfanfromafar
05-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Don't do either. See if Love is willing to sign for the Spurs in 2015 in Free Agency.

PÒÓCH
05-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Love can stay in Minnesota, The Guy doesn't play defense. He's known to be a self absorbed pre-madonna. It is well documented he wants to go to L.A. and that's where he belongs with all the Kobe's of the world. He was never able to take his team to the playoffs and made the all-star team once,albeit controversially. He is overrated and it is obvious that his agent is working the rumor mill to bring his client some leverage.

Mal
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Love can stay in Minnesota, The Guy doesn't play defense. He's known to be a self absorbed pre-madonna. It is well documented he wants to go to L.A. and that's where he belongs with all the Kobe's of the world. He was never able to take his team to the playoffs and made the all-star team once,albeit controversially. He is overrated and it is obvious that his agent is working the rumor mill to bring his client some leverage.

All true, but Spurs are in diffrent situation. When you have great coach, great defenders, all Love would have to do is to hustle and catch up with rest of guys on defense. Shouldnt be an issue, easily to manage it with whole 82 games season.

On offense, he still could easily go for 22ppg, 12 rpg. No one will have a problem with that.

Floor spreading PF, with great rebound and scoring abilities is perfect fit for Spurs.

Jdspur20
05-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Not going to happen but what about:
Splitter, Leonard, Bonner for Love, Brewer?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

like I said, not going to happen but if a trade were to be made that's the only way salaries would work.

sexinthatsx
05-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Pop will retire when Duncan retires. There's no reason for him to stay anymore, he is so loyal to Duncan to keep coaching after Duncan retires would be a disservice.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
It'll never happen. I'll believe it when I see it. Who's the biggest free agent acquisition the spurs have gotten in the Tim Duncan era?

Clipper Nation
05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
All true. But he's said he wants to go to a winner. So based on the LA/NY thing you mention, that would be the Clippers? Griffin for Love?

Why on Earth would we trade the face of the franchise for a worse player? :huh

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Yeah Griffin for Love makes absolutely no sense.

BillMc
05-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Yeah, my bad. That wouldn't be a good idea.

Prime Time
05-26-2014, 09:18 PM
All true. But he's said he wants to go to a winner.
New York it is :lol #FALogic

Prime Time
05-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Tiago and picks for Love seems interesting. I don't know, the thought of a Leonard-Love future with hopefully a decent Bertans/LJV doesn't seem so scary. Of course this is wishful thinking in the highest level lol.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Tiago and picks for Love seems interesting. I don't know, the thought of a Leonard-Love future with hopefully a decent Bertans/LJV doesn't seem so scary. Of course this is wishful thinking in the highest level lol.

Timerwolves would never do that, though. Tiago and picks for Love is a laughable trade in their eyes.

Prime Time
05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Timerwolves would never do that, though. Tiago and picks for Love is a laughable trade in their eyes.

Of course this is wishful thinking in the highest level lol.

spurraider21
05-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Griffin-Love would have made sense before, but Blake seriously upped his game

therealtruth
05-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Leonard and Splitter are keepers too me. It's hard to get good defenders.

pad300
05-26-2014, 10:34 PM

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=128&player_ids%5B%5D=185&season=2013

Worse Player?

More points/48 on a higher TS% (without CP3 making the assists), better O and D rebounding, more assists/48, less turnovers/48, less fouls/48... You'd still have Jordan to be the bouncy lob target type... You wouldn't miss griffin that much defensively, and Love would give much more variety to the Clippers attack.

Mikeanaro
05-26-2014, 10:46 PM
http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=128&player_ids%5B%5D=185&season=2013

Worse Player?

More points/48 on a higher TS% (without CP3 making the assists), better O and D rebounding, more assists/48, less turnovers/48, less fouls/48... You'd still have Jordan to be the bouncy lob target type... You wouldn't miss griffin that much defensively, and Love would give much more variety to the Clippers attack.
Griffin is just a monkeyballer, I laughed so hard when dudes here were telling me he developed shots jumpers and shit.

Chinook
05-26-2014, 11:23 PM
There is an advantage to trading for Love as opposed to signing him in free agency. It would allow the Spurs to use their MLE in 2015 instead of the room exception and to re-sign their guys without worrying. However, now that Jackson and Bonner can no longer be used as salary ballast, it's not worth it to trade for Love. Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter is a potential contending core, but taking any of those guys out without finding adequate replacements pushes it down a tier.

The team wasted it's chance to trade for its 2015 starting PF early. They have to hope that FA period is kind to them now.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Wolves have Pekovic locked up for another 4 years. No way they trade for Tiago. It would be for a wing player and Kawhi isn't going anywhere, especially not for Kevin Love.

xmas1997
05-28-2014, 06:03 PM
There is an advantage to trading for Love as opposed to signing him in free agency. It would allow the Spurs to use their MLE in 2015 instead of the room exception and to re-sign their guys without worrying. However, now that Jackson and Bonner can no longer be used as salary ballast, it's not worth it to trade for Love. Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter is a potential contending core, but taking any of those guys out without finding adequate replacements pushes it down a tier.

The team wasted it's chance to trade for its 2015 starting PF early. They have to hope that FA period is kind to them now.

I agree. But why can't they use Bonner's salary? Is there no way to get them to trade so the Spurs would have Love/Splitter/Leonard/Parker with Diaw coming off the bench? Would like to keep Mills too. And Manu and Tim are going nowhere. Green would have to be used I think and replaced.
What do you think it would take to get him here that the Spurs have to offer that Minn. would take?

Chinook
05-28-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree. But why can't they use Bonner's salary? Is there no way to get them to trade so the Spurs would have Love/Splitter/Leonard/Parker with Diaw coming off the bench? Would like to keep Mills too. And Manu and Tim are going nowhere. Green would have to be used I think and replaced.
What do you think it would take to get him here that the Spurs have to offer that Minn. would take?

Bonner can't be used because his deal expires this year, and Green isn't enough ballast.

xmas1997
05-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Bonner can't be used because his deal expires this year, and Green isn't enough ballast.

Can't Bonner be resigned to make the deal work?

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 07:06 AM

What's a pre-madonna? Is that what Madonna was before she was a big star? :lol

The correct term is prima donna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_donna

Chinook
05-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Can't Bonner be resigned to make the deal work?

Yeah, but only in a sign-and-trade scenario, which means a three-year deal with a guaranteed year. We're talking a $21M/3 deal to create enough ballast (since you're talking about including Green). That's too much to give him, even to facilitate a trade, and it drives up Love's price.

xmas1997
06-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Love has visited Boston now.
Actually I would like to keep Green.

xmas1997
06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but only in a sign-and-trade scenario, which means a three-year deal with a guaranteed year. We're talking a $21M/3 deal to create enough ballast (since you're talking about including Green). That's too much to give him, even to facilitate a trade, and it drives up Love's price.

I like your scenario of Tiago/Leonard/Green/Parker/Love going into the future with Diaw on the second team if a trade could be arranged. TD and Manu would still be here too, but don't know that we have anything that Minn would want other than this years draft picks, Cojo, Ayers, and a resigned Bonner to trade for him.

Chinook
06-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I like your scenario of Tiago/Leonard/Green/Parker/Love going into the future with Diaw on the second team if a trade could be arranged. TD and Manu would still be here too, but don't know that we have anything that Minn would want other than this years draft picks, Cojo, Ayers, and a resigned Bonner to trade for him.

I think you're missing what I am saying. The Spurs no longer have the available contracts to trade for Love. Any scenario in which they get him and keep their core is the product of a hypothetical direct signing using cap space. The team burned all their useful expirings already.

#2!
06-02-2014, 10:35 PM
The Spurs cannot trade for him. They don't have the talent, contracts, or picks to offer the T'wolves. The only way he comes here is if Flip Saunders decides to hold onto Love for another season, and the Spurs pick him up as a Free Agent. And that scenario only exists because Tim and Manu would be retired, giving the Spurs the kind of cap room they'd need to sign him.

The biggest draw for the Spurs is Popovich. Not Tony, Tim, or Leonard. So in order to draw a FA on the level of Kevin Love, Pop would have to go against his word and continue coaching after Duncan's retirement. Add in the fact that "all I want to do is win" is the same bullshit every FA of note says (except James and Bosh who actually meant it), and there are alot of if's.