PDA

View Full Version : Posting up against Ibaka?

John_C
05-26-2014, 10:29 AM
I am just wondering if Splitter or Kawhi would be effective in posting up Ibaka? If our bigs could find success on isolation against Ibaka, would it be possible to put Ibaka on early foul trouble or just disrupt the Thunder's defensive scheme?

TheGreatYacht
05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Nope. Splitter has never had a good game against OKC in his overrated career... He's soft, leaves Ibaka open, gets blocked and gets the crowd going...

Kawhi's post game isn't that developed but it will get Ibaka tired

james evans
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
ibaka goes for every shot. he's a sucker for a pump fake. took popovich 4 games to figure it out in 2012 and he's forgotten. pump fake him, get him in the air and go to the line. it's not rocket science. dude leaves his feet for damn near everything.

UZER
05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
ibaka goes for every shot. he's a sucker for a pump fake. took popovich 4 games to figure it out in 2012 and he's forgotten. pump fake him, get him in the air and go to the line. it's not rocket science. dude leaves his feet for damn near everything.

I've been screaming this from the roof tops. Dude tries to block everything. On the play he blocked Parker on the layup, if Parker just pump fakes one time Ibaka flies right past him.

They respect this dude way too much. They need to be attacking him over and over, not running the other direction when they see him. I'm talking about on the pnr, not posting him up.

BillMc
05-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Also, if you're posting him up, obviously you know where he is. It's the fear of his shot blocking from the help defense - where players are looking for him - that is the trouble. Go right at him.

Malik Hairston
05-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Splitter backed him down successfully a few times during the regular season IIRC..he missed the shots, but he got deep position..

It's definitely worth a try IMO..Splitter should get 1-2 post touches early in the 1st, as ugly as it may look..

Shastafarian
05-26-2014, 12:24 PM
This might be crazy but I think the only effective post-up would come from Diaw. Tim is too slow both on his feet and with his shot. Tiago would be a disaster. Leonard is too short and not quite fast enough to get around him (barring a spin move on every play). Diaw is quick enough to make Ibaka at least work to defend him. Diaw is an excellent passer in the post so Ibaka and the thunder help defense would need to be on point.

4down
05-26-2014, 12:38 PM
I think posting him up is a great idea not that anyone would have much success scoring directly over him but it would reduce weakside help from Ibaka pn kickouts and those backboard pins/goal tends imo. A little physicalit, nothing dirty needed. Just wear on him.

Trifecta
05-26-2014, 12:50 PM
This might be crazy but I think the only effective post-up would come from Diaw. Tim is too slow both on his feet and with his shot. Tiago would be a disaster. Leonard is too short and not quite fast enough to get around him (barring a spin move on every play). Diaw is quick enough to make Ibaka at least work to defend him. Diaw is an excellent passer in the post so Ibaka and the thunder help defense would need to be on point.

Besides, Diaw is always pump faking on the jump shot at the top of the key - he should be able to pump fake Ibaka down low.

said7
05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Go small with Bonner. Make him guard the 3pt line.

therealtruth
05-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Nope. Splitter has never had a good game against OKC in his overrated career... He's soft, leaves Ibaka open, gets blocked and gets the crowd going...

He had the 20 and 10 game last year against Ibaka.

TheGreatYacht
05-26-2014, 03:44 PM
IMO Pop should start Diaw, he has no problem going out to guard Ibaka & Diaw would take advantage of Ibaka's WEAK post defense. Baynes was horrible to watch yesterday. Splitter has always been better with Manu anyway...

Please no one say "Play Matt Bonner" :lmao that clown couldn't even rebound Westbrook's missed dunk! And are you really going to trust him in the WCF, on the road, after Spurs got out rebounded by nearly 20? LOL

EVAY
05-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Whether it is Splitter, Diaw, Duncan, Parker or Leonard, whoever is driving the lane HAS to get more box-out help from our bigs. Whoever would get in the paint last night had not only Ibaka but two other help defenders in the paint. The problem is that there are more of them in the paint there are offensive guys for us, because our perimeter guys are told to stay on the arc.

Some of Ibaka's usefulness is that if he gets pump-faked, it allows OKC's help defense to get in position for a block or altering the shot. It is just not as simple as posting the guy up and pump faking him.

slick'81
05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Well if we're at the point where play bonner and post up tiago is the solution then yes we are screwed

Seventyniner
05-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Ibaka is definitely worse as a post defender than a help defender. Tim, Tiago, and Diaw should definitely take turns trying to back him down.

james evans
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
i would start diaw and duncan instead of splitter. i'm not at this particular time saying splitter is trash, but leave diaw at the 3 point line and post time up or leave tim at the freethrow line and post diaw up. either way, we are at a great advantage on the offensive end with diaw and timmy on the floor vs timmy/splitter. timmy, diaw, green, parker, leonard, running a 4-1 offense spacing the floor. if they double in the paint, tim has 4 shooters around him.

DarrinS
05-26-2014, 07:30 PM
i would start diaw and duncan instead of splitter. i'm not at this particular time saying splitter is trash, but leave diaw at the 3 point line and post time up or leave tim at the freethrow line and post diaw up. either way, we are at a great advantage on the offensive end with diaw and timmy on the floor vs timmy/splitter. timmy, diaw, green, parker, leonard, running a 4-1 offense spacing the floor. if they double in the paint, tim has 4 shooters around him.

No

John_C
05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Also, if you're posting him up, obviously you know where he is. It's the fear of his shot blocking from the help defense - where players are looking for him - that is the trouble. Go right at him.

This is exactly why we need to be doing this. We dominated 2 games already and we suddenly fall off because of Ibaka. Knowing where he is or taking him out early via foul trouble could lessen that fear factor.

cd021
05-26-2014, 09:25 PM

Just to be clear you wan't Kawhi to post someone who is 4 inches taller and every bit as athletic?

Diaw is the answer to Ibaka. Have him set screens and spot up at the 3pt line. If OKC traps then they leave a good 3pt shooter open and he can drive and kick. If they switch screens then he can go into the post and back down WB or who ever is defending the guard. Have Diaw spot up for corner 3's on the left side (Bowen corner) and it keeps Ibaka from sliding over and cutting Parker off at the rim because he has to be at-least 15 feet out to "zone" Diaw.

cd021
05-26-2014, 09:28 PM

I agree. Its not that Splitter is playing poorly but Diaw's spacing makes Ibaka stretch out further. Splitter is basically Perkins (no insult intended) in terms of range. What Duncan is doing on defense by helping off Perk is the same as what Ibaka is doing with Splitter. Spurs can't afford the lack of spacing with their athleticism and length.

rude1_79
05-26-2014, 09:52 PM
thing is diaw needs to hit his 3s. he was 0-3 from 3 point land last game. he was pretty open on those too.

therealtruth
05-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree. Its not that Splitter is playing poorly but Diaw's spacing makes Ibaka stretch out further. Splitter is basically Perkins (no insult intended) in terms of range. What Duncan is doing on defense by helping off Perk is the same as what Ibaka is doing with Splitter. Spurs can't afford the lack of spacing with their athleticism and length.

It's only going to work if Diaw can make the Thunder respect his shot. I am sure the Thunder are willing to give that up as long as they can keep the lane clogged.

testies
05-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Splitter has the body mass to cause his calves problems while backing him down

do it!

DMC
05-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Pop seems to think it's ok to intentionally foul them but he doesn't go out looking to be fouled. Spurs seem to shy away from contact, but they were all over the paint when there was no defense.

will_spurs
05-27-2014, 01:56 AM
I was wondering the same but for another reason: post him up aggressively 10 times in a row for 24 seconds and see how that calf is doing.

MI21
05-27-2014, 03:22 AM
I have never understood why the Spurs don't post Splitter against the athletic type defenders. His craftiness, pumpfakes and touch is pretty good in the post. It might look ungainly and awkward, but I think he is quite effective.

PingPong
05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Just make that nigga work. Make him jump, run and he will be limping in the first five minutes of the game.

MR-Clutch
05-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I have never understood why the Spurs don't post Splitter against the athletic type defenders. His craftiness, pumpfakes and touch is pretty good in the post. It might look ungainly and awkward, but I think he is quite effective.

Me neither. The one time we did it I think splitter had like 20 points with double digit rebounds and we won. I haven't seen us do it since.

EVAY
05-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Me neither. The one time we did it I think splitter had like 20 points with double digit rebounds and we won. I haven't seen us do it since.

My concern with us trying that is that I would expect that while Splitter was trying to back Ibaka down in the post, someone else would be stripping him of the ball. We can't even back down Perkins, why do you imagine that we could back down Ibaka?

05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
I was wondering the same but for another reason: post him up aggressively 10 times in a row for 24 seconds and see how that calf is doing.

Beaverfuzz
05-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I've been screaming this from the roof tops. Dude tries to block everything. On the play he blocked Parker on the layup, if Parker just pump fakes one time Ibaka flies right past him.

They respect this dude way too much. They need to be attacking him over and over, not running the other direction when they see him. I'm talking about on the pnr, not posting him up.

If Parker lays it up with his left hand (which would be fundamentally correct), Ibaka would have fouled him or missed the block entirely. It takes two to tango on that play.

Seventyniner
05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
My concern with us trying that is that I would expect that while Splitter was trying to back Ibaka down in the post, someone else would be stripping him of the ball. We can't even back down Perkins, why do you imagine that we could back down Ibaka?

Perkins is a much better post defender than Ibaka. It's really the only thing he does well.

wildchild
05-27-2014, 01:01 PM
The Spurs need to attack Ibaka and Durant from every position.
Maybe I'm wrong but Splitter had a great post game overseas, he could attack Ibaka in the post and take advantage of his poor one-on-one post defense.
I don't expect Diaw post against Ibaka, I want he can force Ibaka to defend him at the 3's line point creating more space for us in the paint.

look_at_g_shred
05-27-2014, 01:01 PM
No. Duncan just needs to establish better post position on Perkins. Perkins is doing a great job of taking Timmy of his spots. He needs to get position early. The good thing about this is that help comes to help on TD which leaves room for our cutters or 3 balls.

Old School 44
05-27-2014, 02:41 PM

I couldn't agree more, it's hard to help if you are the primary defender and knowing where he is half the battle. I know they have different personnel, but what does Memphis do against him, they seem to have good success against Ibaka and the Thunder.

james evans
05-29-2014, 11:11 PM

see? we knew

said7
05-30-2014, 03:31 AM
Go small with Bonner. Make him guard the 3pt line.

tbh