PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Pop pulling the plug midway throught the 4th quarter?

myhc
05-26-2014, 11:43 AM
?

dg7md
05-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Yeah. It was out of control at that point, no sense in letting possible injuries happen to our starters. Let the team feel like shit and realize what they had done by not rebounding or making their open looks, might be valuable in game 4.

cjw
05-26-2014, 11:45 AM
The top Thunder guys ran in the high 30s, while our guys were all around 30 or less. Not sure keeping the main guys in would have made much of a difference as the bench did admirably against the Thunder's total scrubs. He may have also used it to send a message to TP and others to wake up.

ducks
05-26-2014, 11:46 AM
yes since it is now every other day

but that patty three counts spurs could have made it close then go back with duncan

hyhy
05-26-2014, 11:50 AM
No, Ibaka is injured. We need to make him play major minutes as much as possible. Not give him a break by resting our guys too.

ElNono
05-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Never been a fan, especially when it was a 14pt game with a lot of time left when he pulled the plug... Pop has done this many times before.

I mean this is what he's been resting guys all season for... I get Tim and Manu, who are older, but Danny, Tiago, Kawhi, Boris, I thought they deserved to try to make a comeback.

Shastafarian
05-26-2014, 11:52 AM
I remember the lead being at least 17 when he finally took everyone out.

james evans
05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Never been a fan, especially when it was a 14pt game with a lot of time left when he pulled the plug... Pop has done this many times before.

I mean this is what he's been resting guys all season for... I get Tim and Manu, who are older, but Danny, Tiago, Kawhi, Boris, I thought they deserved to try to make a comeback.
way too many times.

Malik Hairston
05-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Parker/Duncan/Ginobili absolutely should have sat, but I would have been fine with Pop leaving Kawhi/Green/Diaw/Splitter/Mills on the floor..especially Patty, he needs to get in some kind of rhythm, badly..

smaka
05-26-2014, 11:55 AM
I think we weren't winning this game if we played another 10 quarters. Basically everything and everyone was off, except for Manu. We weren't hitting open looks, couldn't get a stop on D, couldn't get a call on O... I know many things can happen with 6 mins left, but I feel we couldn't come back this time anyways.

Old School 44
05-26-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't disagree with him pulling the starters but I don't agree with how the subs played. I don't think they should play to make it close, they should play to try to win, even if it means atempting to do something miraculous. The spurs have the shooters to do it, but instead of running plays to get Marco, patty, green or bonner threes they have Cory dribbling late into the shot clock with Baynes and Ayres shooting jumpers. I'm not saying they were going to win, but their job should be to try to keep Okcs starters out there as long as possible.

DMC
05-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Pop injects himself into the games these days more than he should. He's too in-situ involved in the game, ordering intentional fouls, calling every play down the floor and I think some of that causes the team to run to sluggish as they try to adjust to what Pop wants instead of playing the game.

ElNono
05-26-2014, 11:57 AM
I mean, it's not like this OKC team didn't choke a 20pt lead multiple times before these playoffs, even at home...

RD2191
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't understand why they didn't shoot 3s every possession when they were down 14.

SnakeBoy
05-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I was pretty pissed about it. I don't have a problem with him pulling the big 3 but with such a deep bench he could have put in a line up that still had at least a slight chance to make something happen. Going with Joseph, Baynes, Bonner, Ayres on the floor at the same time it's like he wanted to make sure there was aboslutely no possibility of making a comeback.

DPG21920
05-26-2014, 12:28 PM
I do think some of it is pop sending a message. If you come out lackluster & put yourself in that situation he will make you regret it. They all seemed pretty pissed after the game tbh.

Captivus
05-26-2014, 12:29 PM
yes since it is now every other day

but that patty three counts spurs could have made it close then go back with duncan

spurraider21
05-26-2014, 12:29 PM
after that golden state game, and seeing how okc has coughed up leads late, i don't agree with it. what are you saving yourself for? the playoffs?

InRareForm
05-26-2014, 12:31 PM
If you think about all the times Pop has pulled the plug, ~3% of the time a miracle happens. If Pop did it 30 times, we were bound to win a game in miracle fashion

DPG21920
05-26-2014, 12:31 PM
I think Pop knows they can beat OKC & feels he has the luxury of resting players on top of sending a message. I think if he really feared OKC he would have chased the game a little more.

4down
05-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Playoffs is not the time to concede games especially seeing what happened late in games in rd 2 but Pop has made this part of the MO. Let's hope the strategy pays off

ElNono
05-26-2014, 12:35 PM
I do think some of it is pop sending a message. If you come out lackluster & put yourself in that situation he will make you regret it. They all seemed pretty pissed after the game tbh.

I think there is some of this, and also the part of being cautious about injuries. But never been a fan, not in the WCFs...

DarrinS
05-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Brooks left Ibaka out there when the game was already over. Durbeta had to tell him to take him out.

Which coach would you rather have?

Jenks
05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
It was clear who the powers that be had picked to win the game after the erased Patty 3, why bother.

mingus
05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
More than that I thought Pop sitting out the big 3 to start the fourth was a big mistake. He did the same thing in the Finals in game 6 last year. Both times we basically lost the game during that stretch.

DarrinS
05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Spurs just didn't have it in this game.

It wasn't Ibaka and it wasn't free throws.

DarrinS
05-26-2014, 12:48 PM
If not for Manu, the Spurs are getting blown out at halftime.

Skull-1
05-26-2014, 12:56 PM
after that golden state game, and seeing how okc has coughed up leads late, i don't agree with it. what are you saving yourself for? the playoffs?

"Playoffs?! Playoffs?!!"

Skull-1
05-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Spurs just didn't have it in this game.

It wasn't Ibaka and it wasn't free throws.

Yep. Manu the only Spur who made the charter flight.

therealtruth
05-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I think Pop knows they can beat OKC & feels he has the luxury of resting players on top of sending a message. I think if he really feared OKC he would have chased the game a little more.

Pop did that in '12 and it ended up being costly. You can't take any games for granted. Even forcing their starters to play more minutes prevents them from being confident and rested for the next game.

I don't think we can beat them easily. It's going to take us playing our best ball to beat them. Not turning the ball over and continuing to attack the paint.

tmtcsc
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Absolutely. It was more about ineffectiveness than anything else.

silverblk mystix
05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Pussy move.
Pussy coach.
Pussy team.

EVAY
05-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Brooks left Ibaka out there when the game was already over. Durbeta had to tell him to take him out.

Which coach would you rather have?

This is what blew me away and made me question OKC's veracity all the more. Brooks left Ibaka out there along with many of his starterslong after our starters were pulled, and after they finally got Ibaka out, he just sat down on the bench…no going back to the training room or getting ice or anything, he just sat there like he was healthy as a horse, which I think he is.

I think anyone expecting a dropoff in Ibaka's production from game 3 is gonna be surprised. He looks completely fine to me.

silverblk mystix
05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
This is what blew me away and made me question OKC's veracity all the more. Brooks left Ibaka out there along with many of his starterslong after our starters were pulled, and after they finally got Ibaka out, he just sat down on the bench…no going back to the training room or getting ice or anything, he just sat there like he was healthy as a horse, which I think he is.

I think anyone expecting a dropoff in Ibaka's production from game 3 is gonna be surprised. He looks completely fine to me.

It means that the okc coach will not coddle his players and will have them suck it up and play - this is the playoffs.

If one of the spurs players had this SAME injury -

they would not return until next season.

Also - Pop coddling players and managing minutes is just a pussy mentality -

yet all the sheep in here praise Pop for doing that.

Multi-millionaires whose ONLY job it is - is to play a game -

and they train their entire lives for this -

and Pop feels a need to "protect" them and not let them suffer any discomfort so that they can be "healthy" come playoff time...

then at playoff time - he sits them for most of the game.

Hall of Fame coach lol.

TheGreatYacht
05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Ibaka is on HGH. There's no denying that fact now... Why doesn't our medical staff lend our guys some of that magic stuff

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah. Given the way the refs called the 3rd quarter, there was no possibility of a comeback. Maybe if we shot 90% from the field and 100% from 3 throughout the 4th, we could've sneaked out with a win.

EVAY
05-26-2014, 04:00 PM
^^^^Well, he played Tony last Finals with a Grade 2 strain in his hammy.

I understand the frustration with not playing people more minutes in the playoffs - and I agree that if we have been saving them all season for this - now is the time to use them.

I even agree that Pop pulls the plug too early occasionally.

But the 'coddling' that you are describing is one of the reasons that Duncan has been able to play so effectively for so many years. He is still going strong (ish) at 38 because Pop has saved some wear and tear on him.

silverblk mystix
05-26-2014, 05:55 PM
^^^^Well, he played Tony last Finals with a Grade 2 strain in his hammy.

I understand the frustration with not playing people more minutes in the playoffs - and I agree that if we have been saving them all season for this - now is the time to use them.

I even agree that Pop pulls the plug too early occasionally.

But the 'coddling' that you are describing is one of the reasons that Duncan has been able to play so effectively for so many years. He is still going strong (ish) at 38 because Pop has saved some wear and tear on him.

Disagree with this part.

Timmy is who he is at 38 - Pop - didn't change anything - except steal a title or three from Timmy and possibly enabled Timmy to have puss tendencies instead of the being the warrior that Timmy used to be.

38 is not 75 or 80

38 is still young enough where a man can kick some ass if he takes care of himself.

HemisfairArena
05-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Pop pulled the plug in the 4th in Game 6 and cost us a title,,,,he's not about to change now.

DarrinS
05-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Pop pulled the plug in the 4th in Game 6 and cost us a title,,,,he's not about to change now.

Lol "us"

HemisfairArena
05-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Lol "us"

Lol "Lol"

Jimmy Early
05-26-2014, 07:40 PM
I mean, it's not like this OKC team didn't choke a 20pt lead multiple times before these playoffs, even at home...

^^THIS^^

I was at the game, and I was SHOCKED when Popovich pulled his starters so early in the fourth quarter. I have seen too many double digit fourth quarter leads lost in this postseason to have had ANY feeling that game was over when Butler hit the trey to put the Thunder up by 14 with about 6 minutes to go.

I guess I should never be surprised by anything Popovich does, though.

poeticism707
05-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Pop knew,

the same same as we knew,

that this game was fixed.

One way or the other,

the refs were handing

RefKC the game.

Smart move by Pop,

no point in tiring our guys out,

risking injury,

when the deck is stacked.

The only game that makes

any sense, is in a Game 7.

Knoxxx
05-26-2014, 09:17 PM
After the theft of the Mills 3 there was a stretch where okc was allowed to foul every play. Took them forever to notice too dumbasses. Why risk injury when you are getting railroaded like that.

Jimmy Early
05-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Pop knew,

the same same as we knew,

that this game was fixed.

One way or the other,

the refs were handing

RefKC the game.

Smart move by Pop,

no point in tiring our guys out,

risking injury,

when the deck is stacked.

The only game that makes

any sense, is in a Game 7.

OOOOOOKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY......

So, in your world, is Game 4 fixed? For the Thunder or Spurs?

Take off your aluminum hat before answering, please.

Cane
05-26-2014, 09:50 PM
I would have pulled Duncan after the refs let OKC leap-frog over his back

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:51 PM
OOOOOOKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY......

So, in your world, is Game 4 fixed? For the Thunder or Spurs?

Take off your aluminum hat before answering, please.

How the hell should he know? :lmao

Nobody is claiming to be psychic here, dumbass. People just call the games as they occur.

Game 1 of the ECF was fixed in favor of the Pacers, and they probably stole one that Miami deserved. Game 4 of the ECF was fixed in favor of Miami; however, they thoroughly outplayed the Pacers anyway so the ref help did not end up making a difference.

Game 2 of the WCF was fixed in favor of the Spurs; however, we thoroughly outplayed OKC so it's not clear whether or not that ref advantage changed the outcome of the game. Game 3 of the WCF was fixed in favor of OKC; however, OKC outplayed the spurs so it's not clear if that ref advantaged changed the outcome of the game.

Just call games honestly and unbiasedly. This ":cry :cry I'm too cool to whine about the refs :cry :cry" bullshit is contrived and disingenuous.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Seriously it's not hard. I'll break it down step by step:

1) Count the number of ticky tack fouls called in favor of both teams
2) Count the number of ticky tack fouls that occur in the game
3) Count the lack of obvious fouls called against both teams

Compare the results of 1, 2, and 3 to determine which team received a net reffing benefit for the game.

It's not fucking rocket science.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Look at the basket they just waived off for Stephenson after Wade blatantly flopped. That would've cut the lead to 9 with 3 minutes to go. That's a potential game changer, actually, although the Heat still probably played well enough to win the game anyway even with neutral reffing.

Seriously just call the games honestly and no one will give you shit for it.

Jimmy Early
05-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Seriously it's not hard. I'll break it down step by step:

1) Count the number of ticky tack fouls called in favor of both teams
2) Count the number of ticky tack fouls that occur in the game
3) Count the lack of obvious fouls called against both teams

Compare the results of 1, 2, and 3 to determine which team received a net reffing benefit for the game.

It's not fucking rocket science.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. But FIXED? I don't think so.

Refs are human, and I think they tend to shade close calls in favor of the home team - they are influenced by the crowd to some extent. I think there are some games (or even some stretches within games) where the refs call fouls more closely than others. That can have an effect on teams, depending on their style of play (I don't think it's much of an advantage either way in this series, because both teams play similar styles; but when the refs "let them play" ball CONSISTENTLY calling "loose" fouls, it defintately helps a team like the Grizzlies and hurts a team like the Warriors). But FIXED? I don't think so.

I also think the refs favor certain players with calls. I DO think Durant gets the benefit of calls because the refs look on him as a "good guy" and he's a penetrator, but I think the refs are incredibly hard on Westbrook because they tire of his constant complaining about every call that goes against him. Duncan is known as a whiner, but he's a "good guy" and elder statesman. Parker and Ginobilli are known as floppers, and they don't get some close calls because of their rep. But FIXED? No.

I don't think there is any "FIX" in this series. There is no motive for the league to fix this series (I DO think the NBA would want the Miami Heat to advance to the finals, because they don't want two "small market" teams in the finals, and they are getting a small market team out of the west either way). Even IF you think the refs are favoring the home team tomorrow, let's get off the "FIX" stuff, shall we?

By the way, I think the "Thunderefs" thing is kind of cute. Petty and sophomoric, but cute.

apalisoc_9
05-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Didn't mind it tbh..

Would have been good if pop allowed Patty, Danny and Kawhi to get in a rythem

Knoxxx
05-26-2014, 10:15 PM
I would have pulled Duncan after the refs let OKC leap-frog over his backYes another head scratcher and one of the few actually caught on replay.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-26-2014, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. But FIXED? I don't think so.

Refs are human, and I think they tend to shade close calls in favor of the home team - they are influenced by the crowd to some extent. I think there are some games (or even some stretches within games) where the refs call fouls more closely than others. That can have an effect on teams, depending on their style of play (I don't think it's much of an advantage either way in this series, because both teams play similar styles; but when the refs "let them play" ball CONSISTENTLY calling "loose" fouls, it defintately helps a team like the Grizzlies and hurts a team like the Warriors). But FIXED? I don't think so.

I also think the refs favor certain players with calls. I DO think Durant gets the benefit of calls because the refs look on him as a "good guy" and he's a penetrator, but I think the refs are incredibly hard on Westbrook because they tire of his constant complaining about every call that goes against him. Duncan is known as a whiner, but he's a "good guy" and elder statesman. Parker and Ginobilli are known as floppers, and they don't get some close calls because of their rep. But FIXED? No.

I don't think there is any "FIX" in this series. There is no motive for the league to fix this series (I DO think the NBA would want the Miami Heat to advance to the finals, because they don't want two "small market" teams in the finals, and they are getting a small market team out of the west either way). Even IF you think the refs are favoring the home team tomorrow, let's get off the "FIX" stuff, shall we?

By the way, I think the "Thunderefs" thing is kind of cute. Petty and sophomoric, but cute.

Good, we finally agree on something.

Look back to game 3 and pay close attention to the last 8 FTA the spurs were given. I don't think any of those are fouls worthy of trips to the line. That's ticky tack contact that literally occurs throughout the game. The fact that the refs are allowed to selectively call those types of fouls whenever they see fit is very disconcerting.

Skull-1
05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Lol "us"

Asshole.

dg7md
05-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Duncan couldn't make a single layup, Parker was being bullied around the rim, and Manu was the only guy who really brought Spurs basketball in that game. Sitting them was the only real solution because we need them to play how they normally do in a brand new game atmosphere.

Budkin
05-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Pussy move.
Pussy coach.
Pussy team.

Ok then.

benstanfield
05-27-2014, 02:52 PM
With the way Tony was playing, pulling him was the opposite of pulling the plug.

Kidd K
05-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Considering how the refs were ensuring OKC would not lose the game with that horrendous 3rd quarter officiating, there was no point in playing it out.

Ibleedslvrnblk
05-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Hell fycking no! Seven minutes left down 16?!?! Two threes change that in an instant! What if it was down ten with four minutes left? Is the game over? You telling me that no chance anyone gets hot and momentum cannot of changed? Way too early! Oh risk injuries blah blah blah shit then they should not play period or practice. Give me a break. I bitched about this while it happened...

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Good, we finally agree on something.

Look back to game 3 and pay close attention to the last 8 FTA the spurs were given. I don't think any of those are fouls worthy of trips to the line. That's ticky tack contact that literally occurs throughout the game. The fact that the refs are allowed to selectively call those types of fouls whenever they see fit is very disconcerting.

The refs usually reward the more aggressive team when it comes to those ticky tacky fouls. So if you want to fix the disparity you've got to be more aggressive yourself. You've got to be the hunter no the hunted.

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Hell fycking no! Seven minutes left down 16?!?! Two threes change that in an instant! What if it was down ten with four minutes left? Is the game over? You telling me that no chance anyone gets hot and momentum cannot of changed? Way too early! Oh risk injuries blah blah blah shit then they should not play period or practice. Give me a break. I bitched about this while it happened...

Not just that it builds up OKC's confidence. Now they think they can win the series and that's half the battle.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-27-2014, 07:33 PM
The refs usually reward the more aggressive team when it comes to those ticky tacky fouls. So if you want to fix the disparity you've got to be more aggressive yourself. You've got to be the hunter no the hunted.

I'm not sure that's true. I mean, Russell Westbrick gets ticky tack fouled 90% of the time he drives to the basket. There's almost always some form of contact there. I think the same is true for Tim Duncan when he posts up. Tim is "ticky tack fouled" probably most of the time, but the refs pick and choose their spots to make those calls. That gives them way, way too much fucking power over the games IMO.

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 07:52 PM
It's hard to get lucky for things like 0.4 to work in your favor when you don't put yourself in that position. I remember a situation like that back in '11 where the Mavs were down big against the Thunder and fought back to take the game. It killed the Thunder's confidence. That kind of win can shake the other team's confidence and can even give you the series. Think about it. Our fighting back to win game 3 in Memphis last year probably prevented that series from dragging on to 6 or 7.
There's a reason Pop only gets the unlucky breaks. He doesn't put himself in the position to take advantage of the good ones. Coaching scared/playing scared doesn't work.

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 09:03 PM
It might be time to pull the plug on this game. They're not going to win by playing scared.

SnakeBoy
05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
I've changed my mind. If your not going to show up to play in the WCF then you should'nt get to play. Give those minutes to the scrubs who actually want to play. Good job Pop!

siraulo23
05-28-2014, 07:07 AM
It's tough to say, I agree with waving the white flag when it's pretty much over

Not when it's 17 with 8 mins left

The same thing happened in game 4, they pulled within 12, that is still a ball game, with 3-4 mins left

Has pop softened this team? Giving up early, when the game isnt over, no wonder the spurs rarely have any comeback wins or dont win very close games against the elites, because when the going gets tough, pop just accepts defeat so quickly