PDA

View Full Version : Pop will need a mighty big wheelbarrow...

spurs10
05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
to get his mighty big balls into the AT&T Center on Thursday. Tony was saying he 'trusted' Pop for saving them for these playoffs. 'I felt fine. I was shooting over 50%, but I only played 5 minutes in the second half.' He sounded very sincere in his trust for Pop.

I don't feel like Pop was trying to be coy or motivational. I think he was putting all his chips on games 5, 6, and 7. An intentional big balls move. :hat
:flag:

Mugen
05-27-2014, 11:34 PM
:lol this is silly tbh

TheGoldStandard
05-27-2014, 11:35 PM
to get his mighty big balls into the AT&T Center on Thursday. Tony was saying he 'trusted' Pop for saving them for these playoffs. 'I felt fine. I was shooting over 50%, but I only played 5 minutes in the second half.' He sounded very sincere in his trust for Pop.

I don't feel like Pop was trying to be coy or motivational. I think he was putting all his chips on games 5, 6, and 7. An intentional big balls move. :hat

Nah, Spurs are just brainwashed thinking that the rest will help them.

RD2191
Do unicorns exist in your world?

DMC
When you're the president of basketball operations and a HOF coach, and your job isn't on the line, you can do stupid shit and get away with it.

slick'81
Pop playing mind games never, he just has big balls

Dingle Barry
05-27-2014, 11:42 PM
When you're the president of basketball operations and a HOF coach, and your job isn't on the line, you can do stupid shit and get away with it.

Exactly. Doesn't take balls when you're untouchable.

spurs10
05-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Pop playing mind games never, he just has big balls I don't think they are mutually exclusive. It's definitely a mind game. I'm not sure on who though. He intentional benched his Hall of Fame players for half the game for a reason. Was it to avoid injury? They were losing?

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2014, 12:07 AM
I don't think they are mutually exclusive. It's definitely a mind game. I'm not sure on who though. He intentional benched his Hall of Fame players for half the game for a reason. Was it to avoid injury? They were losing?

Pop's shtick is old, does the same thing, can't expect different results.

TheGreatYacht
05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Pop's shtick is old, does the same thing, can't expect different results.

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Did the same thing in game 5. A risky move when you still don't know you can beat this team. Now the margin for error is much lower. If they lose game 5, they're not winning game 6. They're only chance of winning this series is winning game 5.

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Exactly. Doesn't take balls when you're untouchable.

Yep. He'll just blame it on the players for not showing up.

benstanfield
05-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Pulling the starters was nothing other than saving them from facing the fact that they can neither score consistently against a healthy Thunder team nor stop them in transition after Ibaka stuffs. Pop was retreating from an uphill battle to make sure his soldiers didn't desert him for the next.

spurs10
05-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Did the same thing in game 5. A risky move when you still don't know you can beat this team. Now the margin for error is much lower. If they lose game 5, they're not winning game 6. They're only chance of winning this series is winning game 5. I have to agree. I avoid second guessing Pop because he is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time. Just trying to understand the strategy of keep the fresh starters on the bench. I expect game 5 to be one for the ages. Win or lose it will be a battle. :ihit

Pulling the starters was nothing other than saving them from facing the fact that they can neither score consistently against a healthy Thunder team nor stop them in transition after Ibaka stuffs. Pop was retreating from an uphill battle to make sure his soldiers didn't desert him for the next. Very interesting take. Don't think this team will be quitting on us on Thursday. :toast

silverblk mystix
05-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I have to agree. I avoid second guessing Pop because he is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time. Just trying to understand the strategy of keep the fresh starters on the bench. I expect game 5 to be one for the ages. Win or lose it will be a battle. :ihit

Very interesting take. Don't think this team will be quitting on us on Thursday. :toast

They already quit a long time ago.

Do you think Lord Pop would have let Ibaka return?

Nope.

He would have said," it is only basketball - there are more important things - he can return next season"

Oh, Gee!!
05-28-2014, 01:51 PM
you don't give up two games in the WCF as part of a strategy. The players can rest in the offseason not in the conf. finals

UZER
05-28-2014, 02:01 PM
you don't give up two games in the WCF as part of a strategy. The players can rest in the offseason not in the conf. finals

I understand white flagging 3 or 4 by sitting the starters, but not both. It's a great opportunity to try different lineups or tactics to see if something starts working, especially if you already know you're not winning that game.

But trying different things is not something pop does. His excuse is "you can't change who you are at this point." That's such bull shit and an excuse to cover his not knowing how to adjust.

xmas1997
05-28-2014, 02:21 PM
It's not looking good.

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 05:18 PM
I understand white flagging 3 or 4 by sitting the starters, but not both. It's a great opportunity to try different lineups or tactics to see if something starts working, especially if you already know you're not winning that game.

But trying different things is not something pop does. His excuse is "you can't change who you are at this point." That's such bull shit and an excuse to cover his not knowing how to adjust.

Pop's putting it all on the players. He won't do anything from a strategic standpoint to get them going. Yeah they can play harder but you can also tweak stuff. That combination usually helps.