PDA

View Full Version : Manu is the ultimate competitor... but is he?

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
This dude is so logical with his approach to life, being a father, understanding what sport means and odds of winning etc. Does this contradict with him being labeled the "fearless, ultimate competitor"? Tell me. What other NBA player would be ok with playing 11 minutes in a crucial game?

Yet this dude doesn't complain. Where is his fire? Why doesn't he sub himself in? He talks about playing with intensity, but what happened here?

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Pop neutered him.

slick'81
05-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Pop neutered him.

This tbh

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Same with Parker. "No I played great! I shot over 50% from the field today. It's just I only played 5 minutes in the 2nd half" ... no dude, you got killed out there in the minutes you did get.

Seems like the Spurs are a bunch of defeatists now. Act like champions seriously.

Biernutz
05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Manu would play on one leg......Pop is the coach. He puts players in and out of the game.
Pop knows Manu always wants to play...........

TheGreatYacht
05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Same with Parker. "No I played great! I shot over 50% from the field today. It's just I only played 5 minutes in the 2nd half" ... no dude, you got killed out there in the minutes you did get.

Seems like the Spurs are a bunch of defeatists now. Act like champions seriously.
He did lead the team in points and assists. But yeah Pop brainwashed them

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Pop has this idea that he's saving his players for something more... not sure what that is since its the WCF, now is not the time to manage minutes but he's a "genius". Parker is french so that makes him passive but then Old man Pop just takes whatever balls he has left and completely removes them. Manu was the ultimate competitor in his prime and it was hard to reign in that kind of ability but Pop managed to Neuter him over the years he will accept his place in defeat.. Duncan got his nuts clipped a long time ago. Pop can do no wrong. They could be down 1 and if Pop benched all 3 of them they'd love it and eat it up, "thanks Pop, it was the best decision ever"

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Manu's not that guy anymore. Get over it. He hit his first mid range jump shot and then bricked 6 of his next 7 shots.

Even Nono knows that relying on Manu is fool's gold in this day and age.

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm not saying Manu playing only 11 minutes won't turn out to be a great thing. This guy plays so much better off of 3-4 days rest and hopefully this will be that for him and he'll play like he did in Game 3. But me understanding that logic means Manu himself understands that too. And that understanding is overriding the competitor in him. And that's why this is going nowhere. Cause you aint winning the championship if you've convinced yourself that you aren't going to get it done on a game to game basis.

ElNono
05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Manu's not that guy anymore. Get over it. He hit his first mid range jump shot and then bricked 6 of his next 7 shots.

Even Nono knows that relying on Manu is fool's gold in this day and age.

Yeah, the bigger story though is if COTY is getting tuned out at this point. You saw Timmy pretty pissed with Pop, some rift with Danny, Tony half-hardheartedly calling him out on throwing the towel.

They're all pros, but they all want to give it all to be out there and win, even if they're fully aware they're not what they used to.

I still think they're going to give it all at home next game, and that might or might not be enough. You would think Pop is done throwing games away.

DMC
05-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Manu is old. Tim is old. Tony is a short Frenchman. What do you expect from these guys? You have the MVP and probably the best inside defender in the league and nothing but raw speed and athleticism in OKC, and you have the best player the game has seen since Michael along with a good 2nd best in Wade, and a solid franchise level player in Bosh along with the best 3pt shooter the league has seen (clutch) in Ray Allen, then the rest of the Heat. You have to get through both of these armies with a bad knee'd 38 year old on his final contract year, an Argie who's turnover prone and his good days are now few and far in between, and a rapping French point guard who played all summer in France. The rest of the team is comprised of people who couldn't make it on other squads, aside from Leonard who is still confused as to where he needs to be on the floor, whether attacking is the right thing or if Pop will get mad.... and yet here they are in the WCF tied 2 - 2. I mean, if they lose they lose, but at some point in your day to day life does it ever dawn on you that you expect too much for basically nothing?

DMC
05-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Yeah, the bigger story though is if COTY is getting tuned out at this point. You saw Timmy pretty pissed with Pop, some rift with Danny, Tony half-hardheartedly calling him out on throwing the towel.

They're all pros, but they all want to give it all to be out there and win, even if they're fully aware they're not what they used to.

I still think they're going to give it all at home next game, and that might or might not be enough. You would think Pop is done throwing games away.

Tim was telling Pop that it wasn't his fault for not being where he was supposed to be, that he didn't cause Danny to throw the fucking ball away. Tim told Danny "if I'm not open, don't throw the fucking ball". Tim told Pop that regardless where he was, it's Danny's choice to throw the ball to the play instead of to the player. Danny is an idiot though.

Yeah but I think all coaches get tuned out at some point. Pop's mantra of "play harder, play smarter" doesn't do much for you if his subs make no sense, and if he's throwing the towel in with 18 minutes left in regulation.

SnakeBoy
05-28-2014, 12:48 AM

I can't imagine we'll see Pop do that again. Despite all the cliff jumping, the series isn't in jeopardy yet.

DMC
05-28-2014, 12:50 AM
I can't imagine we'll see Pop do that again. Despite all the cliff jumping, the series isn't in jeopardy yet.

Oh it is. Trust me.

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 01:22 AM

I guess game 6 would be the next logical game to throw.

Manudona
05-28-2014, 01:37 AM

He also did co-lead the team in turnovers...

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 01:42 AM

He certainly led the team in bricks.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-28-2014, 01:47 AM

Where were you last game faggot?

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Where were you last game faggot?

I was at home thinking about the bricks Manu would inevitably put up in game 4 after his 20 point first half in game 3 meant zilch, zero, nada in terms of leading our team to victory :lmao :rollin :rollin

Phenomanul
05-28-2014, 07:33 AM
And how was that Manu's fault...?

Blue-Lightning
05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Most of Manu's shots after his first two were forced after receiving the ball with seconds left on the shot clock. It's all about context. Rather than running some plays through Manu, all the action was going through Green and Leonard during Ginobili's time on the court.

You'd have to not understand the game at all (or only look at the stats) to think Manu played poorly. He played excellent offense and defense, but the coaching was horrific. Also, if you'll watch replays of the latter part of the third quarter, you'll see that Ginobili is seething on the bench. It's obvious he's disgusted. I think all of the players recognize, however, that if you show mental weakness now and pull any mutiny cards, season's over.

spurspokesman
05-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Spurs turn to mini sweep and win two straight

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Actually he got killed by Westbrick on both ends - that's why he was ultimately pulled out by Pop. He was slow and predictable and Westbrick OWNED him. It was pitiful to watch a great player like TP getting owned by WB.

weebo
05-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Manu is old. Tim is old. Tony is a short Frenchman. What do you expect from these guys? You have the MVP and probably the best inside defender in the league and nothing but raw speed and athleticism in OKC, and you have the best player the game has seen since Michael along with a good 2nd best in Wade, and a solid franchise level player in Bosh along with the best 3pt shooter the league has seen (clutch) in Ray Allen, then the rest of the Heat. You have to get through both of these armies with a bad knee'd 38 year old on his final contract year, an Argie who's turnover prone and his good days are now few and far in between, and a rapping French point guard who played all summer in France. The rest of the team is comprised of people who couldn't make it on other squads, aside from Leonard who is still confused as to where he needs to be on the floor, whether attacking is the right thing or if Pop will get mad.... and yet here they are in the WCF tied 2 - 2. I mean, if they lose they lose, but at some point in your day to day life does it ever dawn on you that you expect too much for basically nothing?

Well, with that attitude why bother watching/rooting/posting/following...etc...

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Wow.... Not much here I can disagree with....

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 02:18 PM

:lol

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
I was at home thinking about the bricks Manu would inevitably put up in game 4 after his 20 point first half in game 3 meant zilch, zero, nada in terms of leading our team to victory :lmao :rollin :rollin

:lmao

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd actually say that Manu and Danny Green are the only Spurs that have consistently played hard/with energy all series, tbh..

Shastafarian
05-28-2014, 02:25 PM

You're a shitty fan... I think the Spurs will win... I BELIEVE in them...

silverblk mystix
05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Didn't I post the truth already in the last Manu "article" thread?

He was pussying out before the series started talking about spending 80 degree days in the sun with his kids - while the Thunder were preparing to go to war -

Manu and TP, Timmy & Pop were stroking each others vaginas with vagisil.

This is the Pop loser mentality that he has successfully infected the entire team, its fans, broadcasters & sportswriters with.

"we aren't really concerned with titles - we want to be known as nice guys who had a great system and never offended anyone and/or injured anyone, questioned any refs or even displayed a tiny bit of an edge....ever! Long live 2nd place!"

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-28-2014, 02:57 PM

He was pussying out before the series started talking about spending 80 degree days in the sun with his kids - while the Thunder were preparing to go to war -

This is the Pop loser mentality that he has successfully infected the entire team, its fans, broadcasters & sportswriters with.

"we aren't really concerned with titles - we want to be known as nice guys who had a great system and never offended anyone and/or injured anyone, questioned any refs or even displayed a tiny bit of an edge....ever! Long live 2nd place!"

Wow is it possible that you serious takes are even worse than your trolling? :wow

cjw
05-28-2014, 03:25 PM
What if theoretically the series were still 2-2 and we won 2&3 with Ibaka out and lost 1&4 with him playing (remember this is theoretical). Or had lost 1&2 and won 3&4. We'd be in the same position as we are now. Win tomorrow and this place is completely different. Lose tomorrow and the odds are awful though not impossible.

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Because he told it like it is? You're a sh-thead homer.

DMC
05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Well, with that attitude why bother watching/rooting/posting/following...etc...

Because I admire how they conduct themselves and how they work together as a team. If they were a team of superfriends I'd probably not be interested, however I've been watching them since before David came aboard and except a couple times, I've always admired how they go about their business. That makes me a fan of that team, however basketball is the only sport I watch, so I am first and foremost a fan of the game itself. I study coaches more than I study players.

I like the rings too, but it's not why I watch the games.

DMC
05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
lol :toast

DMC
05-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Go to war? lol fucking fat pendejo puto wannabe cop talking about going to war and never served a day.

Any other coach with these players and they probably don't make the playoffs. How did Houston do with the best center in the league? Oh that's right, they were beaten by the team SA beat in 5 games.

Teams do what they can, and when they can't do they don't. There are teams in the league that can do more than the Spurs can do, but they don't because they don't have the right mix of players or the right leadership or both. Spurs just suffer from being long in the tooth. All else is fine.

Spurs da champs
05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Man honestly the spurs just don't have that craving win a title that other teams do. They've had so many games with little or no effort in the playoffs the last couple of years. I'm a spur fan for life, but that consistent lack of effort makes it hard to cheer for them.

EVAY
05-28-2014, 05:01 PM

He and Green each had three apiece, and one of Tony's was when Westbrook got away with stripping the ball while having both feet firmly planted outside the court boundaries.

So, actually two turnovers, 60% shooting, 4 assists in 24 minutes and this loss is on him? Seriously?? This while Ginobili was shooting 25% with three fouls in 11 minutes, Splitter having two points and 1 rebound in 24 minutes, and Danny Green shooting 30 % with three turnovers, and Bellinelli shooting 22%? Seriously?

And Duncan shooting 40% with6 rebounds in 24 minutes, and Leonard shooting 30% with 5 rebounds in about the same time? Really?

Just because Tony is not shitting on his coach in public doesn't mean he likes what happened or that he was wrong to not like it.

TDfan2007
05-28-2014, 05:33 PM

This x 1000000000p

slick'81
05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
So first we're unbeatable and now we're old save the we're finished talk for after game5

silverblk mystix
05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Go to war? lol fucking fat pendejo puto wannabe cop talking about going to war and never served a day.

Any other coach with these players and they probably don't make the playoffs. How did Houston do with the best center in the league? Oh that's right, they were beaten by the team SA beat in 5 games.

Teams do what they can, and when they can't do they don't. There are teams in the league that can do more than the Spurs can do, but they don't because they don't have the right mix of players or the right leadership or both. Spurs just suffer from being long in the tooth. All else is fine.

Pussy fan exhibit B ^^^^

"...sniff sniff ...any other coach....not make the playoffs..."

DMC
05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Pussy fan exhibit B ^^^^

"...sniff sniff ...any other coach....not make the playoffs..."

Going to war as a nacho eating night watchman at a fag resort means using the same glove twice. It has nothing to do with the Spurs and they have nothing to do with you, Tino.

UZER
05-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Tim was yelling at pop that Danny didn't pass the ball, he just threw it to an area when Duncan wasn't even open. Then he started yelling at Danny about that.

Shastafarian
05-28-2014, 07:05 PM
lol :toast

:toast

Manudona
05-28-2014, 09:42 PM
He and Green each had three apiece, and one of Tony's was when Westbrook got away with stripping the ball while having both feet firmly planted outside the court boundaries.

So, actually two turnovers, 60% shooting, 4 assists in 24 minutes and this loss is on him? Seriously?? This while Ginobili was shooting 25% with three fouls in 11 minutes, Splitter having two points and 1 rebound in 24 minutes, and Danny Green shooting 30 % with three turnovers, and Bellinelli shooting 22%? Seriously?

And Duncan shooting 40% with6 rebounds in 24 minutes, and Leonard shooting 30% with 5 rebounds in about the same time? Really?

Just because Tony is not shitting on his coach in public doesn't mean he likes what happened or that he was wrong to not like it.

I never said the defeat was Tony's fault, I just did that comment for the original poster is an idiot who only see the good things on Parker and all the negative things on Manu, omitting anything negative from one and anything positive from the other, kind of you ignoring that Manu did not commit any turnover, at least one of his fouls was bullshit call that would have not been called on Durant or WB, some of his shots were misses after getting the ball with a expiring clock (and were not terrible shots either) ... but you did remember that Parker's TO was bs... you get the drift....

EVAY
05-28-2014, 10:27 PM
I never said the defeat was Tony's fault, I just did that comment for the original poster is an idiot who only see the good things on Parker and all the negative things on Manu, omitting anything negative from one and anything positive from the other, kind of you ignoring that Manu did not commit any turnover, at least one of his fouls was bullshit call that would have not been called on Durant or WB, some of his shots were misses after getting the ball with a expiring clock (and were not terrible shots either) ... but you did remember that Parker's TO was bs... you get the drift....

If you had been around here longer you would know that my favorite player is Manu and that I take on anyone who disses our guys who play regularly and well…after game 3 I agreed that TP was terrible and deserved the blame he put on himself. But not in game 4. In game 3 Manu was the only guy to show up for game 3, and I said so afterwards. After last night's game, Tony was the one who showed up and Manu did not, frankly.

I am fairly objective about the players' abilities in each game, but I don't like watching people look for one to lay it all off on. If you notice, I gave the stats for almost ALL the players - not just Tony and Manu.

ElNono
05-28-2014, 11:04 PM
If you had been around here longer you would know that my favorite player is Manu and that I take on anyone who disses our guys who play regularly and well…after game 3 I agreed that TP was terrible and deserved the blame he put on himself. But not in game 4. In game 3 Manu was the only guy to show up for game 3, and I said so afterwards. After last night's game, Tony was the one who showed up and Manu did not, frankly.

I am fairly objective about the players' abilities in each game, but I don't like watching people look for one to lay it all off on. If you notice, I gave the stats for almost ALL the players - not just Tony and Manu.

He actually has been here longer than you...

Knoxxx
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Well one thing is clear, no point holding back anymore it's do or die time. Manu came back last year off injury dunking the living daylights out of the ball. Then he realized he increased the chances of getting hurt when he dunked and went to layups exclusively.

That mentality must change if we are to turn the tide in this series. There is no tomorrow when your core is 38-36-32. There is no tomorrow, tonight we have to play that way or it will be time to go fishing.

Our big 3 still has it in them. As stated the deck is stacked against them. It's hero ball against team ball. Youth against beauty. It's found money for us, one of the greatest coups in the history of sports should we win.

Let's do this!

ElNono
05-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Game 5 isn't going to come down to any one individual player... as Game 7 against Dallas has shown, you need a complete team effort. Let's hope there's one more of those in 'em tomorrow.

EVAY
05-29-2014, 08:13 AM
you're so brave EVAY

gfy.

EVAY
05-29-2014, 08:16 AM

so I stand corrected oh, omniscient one! I was simply going on the basis of the number of posts. I forget sometimes that people have multiple accounts under different names or that they just read without posting.

emanueldavidginobili
05-29-2014, 09:04 AM
He's Turning 37 he's doing great for a 37 year old whose been playing professional since his teens. Prime Manu was one of the best players to ever walk this earth

EVAY
05-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Then he should know my position regarding both Manu and Tony.

ElNono
05-29-2014, 11:19 PM
:lol

ElNono
05-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Then he should know my position regarding both Manu and Tony.

:lol just going by join date, tbh... you're a good guy EVAY, keep fighting the good fight

Cherry
05-29-2014, 11:22 PM
:rollin