PDA

View Full Version : elephant in the room

Darius McCrary
05-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Duncan is not scoring or defending how he did last year. Period.

Not that this is the only thing bad going wrong, but wow Duncan is really getting exposed against elite athletes.
Sucks.

end rant

dg7md
05-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Yeah. Duncan is practically useless at this point but a distraction and possible rebounder (if he's not against better athletes). It's sad, but it's not that surprising, we've moved away from Duncan as the main option for a long time now — he's more complimentary than D-Rob in his last year tbh.

Pretty much all Duncan is good for is a midrange J and a screen setter.

KaiRMD1
05-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Sadly, last year was really it I guess

slick'81
05-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Sadly, last year was really it I guess

game 5 my friend lets c what r guys are made of

crc21209
05-28-2014, 03:52 AM
game 5 my friend lets c what r guys are made of

This. All the Spurs are gonna hear for the next day and a half will be about 2012. They've put themselves in this position, now it's gonna be up to them to show just how bad they truly want to get back to the Finals.

99 Problems
05-28-2014, 04:06 AM
Game 5 is everything. Simple as that.

Tex Murphy
05-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Oh damn, you said it. But I felt it too, especially today. A step late on all counts. Getting read by the D. Our beloved Timmy is in the "some nights he got it, some nights he don't" zone.

It sucks to see, but it was gonna happen eventually. Hope he can dig deep for 6 more wins...

Robz4000
05-28-2014, 04:11 AM
This. All the Spurs are gonna hear for the next day and a half will be about 2012. They've put themselves in this position, now it's gonna be up to them to show just how bad they truly want to get back to the Finals.

Tbf, since they were up 2-0 2012 has been brought up and so far it's been a repeat.

Raven
05-28-2014, 04:57 AM
he is a center, it's pointless to ask him to be a pf anymore.

objective
05-28-2014, 05:22 AM
He's been disappointing all playoffs. His defense in particular ... So slow to react, so stiff, so late compared to years past ... Here's to hoping he can deliver still

james evans
05-28-2014, 07:09 AM
well the last time i checked, duncan is 38. haha. do u think durant or ibaka will be in the league at 38 starting while being one of the top players on their team?

KaiRMD1
05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Game 5 it is, we shall see what our guys are made of. I do believe the Spurs can pull off the win and shut everyone up about 2012 and the warrior spirit of Serge Ibaka

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Why are we playing this dude 35 minutes?

Do we only want to win a championship if Duncan is in a featured role or do we just want to win a championship?

For all the talk about a selfless team, this team is fucking selfish. If Duncan was a true leader, he'd tell Pop to play the other guys more.

Reason we have more success in regular season is cause Duncan plays 28. That extra 10 minutes he plays in the playoffs KILLS us. Fuck this shit. Duncan should be playing Perkins minutes. No more, no less. It's a total joke.

Calling out Pop, and all these Spurs fans "I want Duncan to get 5" no fuck off. I want the Spurs to win the chip. I don't give a damn who plays or starts.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:27 AM
It's not just Duncan. It's the entire freaking team. They're playing soft on both ends, physically and mentally.

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:31 AM
It's not about playing soft. It's a 38 year old who can't move. How the fuck is he supposed to play "strong"?

This bench showed starters how to be next game theory is stupid. You think Duncan isn't trying his hardest? This is all he has and it's not good enough ok. Just stop playing him. He slows down the Spurs offense so much.

Diaw
Leonard
Green
Ginobili
Parker

You tell me if these 5 guys wouldn't be better at running the Spurs offense at a speed fast enough to overcome OKC's length and athleticsm.

Too bad we're all hitched to this 38 year old. What so if he comes back next year he's automatically a starter again? And he automatically gets to play 10 more minutes a night in the playoffs? What a joke.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Why are we playing this dude 35 minutes?

Do we only want to win a championship if Duncan is in a featured role or do we just want to win a championship?

For all the talk about a selfless team, this team is fucking selfish. If Duncan was a true leader, he'd tell Pop to play the other guys more.

Reason we have more success in regular season is cause Duncan plays 28. That extra 10 minutes he plays in the playoffs KILLS us. Fuck this shit. Duncan should be playing Perkins minutes. No more, no less. It's a total joke.

Calling out Pop, and all these Spurs fans "I want Duncan to get 5" no fuck off. I want the Spurs to win the chip. I don't give a damn who plays or starts.

And who do you propose plays center? Splitter, so he can serve up volleyballs for Ibaka to spike in his face? Maybe Baynes, you know the foul machine... Oh wait, Bonner! :lmao

If you want to insert Diaw for Splitter fine. At this point, Tim is the anchor on defense and is just another piece of the offense, not the featured player he once was.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:37 AM
It's not about playing soft. It's a 38 year old who can't move. How the fuck is he supposed to play "strong"?

This bench showed starters how to be next game theory is stupid. You think Duncan isn't trying his hardest? This is all he has and it's not good enough ok. Just stop playing him. He slows down the Spurs offense so much.

Diaw
Leonard
Green
Ginobili
Parker

You tell me if these 5 guys wouldn't be better at running the Spurs offense at a speed fast enough to overcome OKC's length and athleticsm.

Too bad we're all hitched to this 38 year old. What so if he comes back next year he's automatically a starter again? And he automatically gets to play 10 more minutes a night in the playoffs? What a joke.

Durant would kill that line up in a second. What's the point of running a better offense if you can't get any stops? Just stop.

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Splitter is a better defender than Tim Duncan.

Look up any advanced stats. Wtf is Tim Duncan anchoring on defense?

If Splitter matched up with Perkins instead of Ibaka, he wouldn't be getting blocked. It would force Perkins to play PnR defense.

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Durant would kill that line up in a second. What's the point of running a better offense if you can't get any stops? Just stop.

The reason we can't get stops right now is cause Durant and Westbrook can do some slow ass Euro-step right around Tim Duncan who has 0 lateral quickness.

Having Diaw or Leonard as your "rim protector" would actually fare much better than Duncan when we're talking about shots at the rim coming from a drive not a post up.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Splitter is a better defender than Tim Duncan.

Look up any advanced stats. Wtf is Tim Duncan anchoring on defense?

If Splitter matched up with Perkins instead of Ibaka, he wouldn't be getting blocked. It would force Perkins to play PnR defense.

So, let me get this straight. Now you want Splitter instead of Diaw? Or is it you just don't want Tim Duncan playing at all?

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Duncan can play Collison / Perkins minutes if you want to include him on this championship ride.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:47 AM
The reason we can't get stops right now is cause Durant and Westbrook can do some slow ass Euro-step right around Tim Duncan who has 0 lateral quickness.

Having Diaw or Leonard as your "rim protector" would actually fare much better than Duncan when we're talking about shots at the rim coming from a drive not a post up.

Diaw or Leonard are no rim protectors and Okc would have a field day with that line up you proposed. I get what you want. You want the Spurs to go small, but compromising defense for offense for the majority of game is playing into the thunder's hands.

I agree with starting Diaw, but in place of Splitter. Splitter would match up better with guy like Adams coming off the bench, who isn't a great shot blocker like Ibaka and doesn't have an outside game.

The Reckoning
05-28-2014, 08:47 AM
congrats thunder on your backdoor sweep (again). you deserve it! and grats on retiring duncan, four chips is something to be proud of.

Gino-Step
05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Diaw or Leonard are no rim protectors and Okc would have a field day with that line up you proposed. I get what you want. You want the Spurs to go small, but compromising defense for offense for the majority of game is playing into the thunder's hands.

I agree with starting Diaw, but in place of Splitter. Splitter would match up better with guy like Adams coming off the bench, who isn't a great shot blocker like Ibaka and doesn't have an outside game.

I do think they can win with what you suggested as more moderate adjustments. I just don't see how Tim Duncan protects the rim any better against these athletes.

weebo
05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Tim knows how to play help defense within the Spurs system. He has length to affect shots even if doesn't actually block them. Also, he's our best rebounding big.

It's unfortunate his prime years are well past him, but he is still the best big we have on this team. It's obvious that if he doesn't play well the rest of the team doesn't play well. However, that could be said about Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Green, Diaw...etc. All parts of the Spurs have to be playing together and well to look great, but it only takes one guy to have an awful game for the Spurs to struggle.

UZER
05-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Nobody can play defense when the thunder drive in the lay. They aren't allowed. Stand with hands in the air = foul, jump straight with hands in the air = foul, move backwards with hands not reaching = foul.

Every one of those is what pop preaches on D. That doesn't work against this freakishly athletic team. Until he lets them really start fouling with a purpose, the thunder will continue to prance to the lane and get foul calls.

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Duncan has been bad, but the Spurs have been getting killed even when Duncan goes to the bench, tbh..

There have been far worse Spurs in the series than Duncan, in all honesty..

Mikesatx
05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Fair Weather dip shit fans. Parker didn't show for game 3 and Westbrook went off in game 4. Both to be expected in a 7 game series. Expect Westbrook to play hero ball in game 5 and kill his team. Ibaka will get into foul trouble and everyone else on the team will play like games 1 and 2. After the Spurs win everyone will expect an easy Thunder game 6 win and the Spurs will end it.

the only thing I am looking forward to after the big three call it a career is all the trash on this site leaving.

UZER
05-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Fair Weather dip shit fans. Parker didn't show for game 3 and Westbrook went off in game 4. Both to be expected in a 7 game series. Expect Westbrook to play hero ball in game 5 and kill his team. Ibaka will get into foul trouble and everyone else on the team will play like games 1 and 2. After the Spurs win everyone will expect an easy Thunder game 6 win and the Spurs will end it.

the only thing I am looking forward to after the big three call it a career is all the trash on this site leaving.

:cry I'm such a better fan than you guys

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-28-2014, 02:23 PM
OKC bigs will be trash when they're 38, along with Westbrook. Pisses me of when those immature punks talk trash to a legend.

myhc
05-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Duncan is our best rebounder and you guys want him playing 10-15 minutes a game? We would get destroyed on the boards.

Juggity
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
he's more complimentary than D-Rob in his last year tbh.

:lmao Duncan scored 27 points a week ago

Mikesatx
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Agreed

spurtech09
05-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Game 5 it is, we shall see what our guys are made of. I do believe the Spurs can pull off the win and shut everyone up about 2012 and the warrior spirit of Serge Ibakaamen brother

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah. Duncan is practically useless at this point but a distraction and possible rebounder (if he's not against better athletes). It's sad, but it's not that surprising, we've moved away from Duncan as the main option for a long time now — he's more complimentary than D-Rob in his last year tbh.

Pretty much all Duncan is good for is a midrange J and a screen setter.

Except Duncan's midrange J has been atrocious all season long.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Duncan is our best rebounder and you guys want him playing 10-15 minutes a game? We would get destroyed on the boards.

Tiago is a better rebounder than Duncan.