PDA

View Full Version : Is there another coach in the league

SnakeBoy
05-28-2014, 03:34 AM
who could not even try to compete in the 2nd half for 2 WCF's games and...
a)not be at risk of being fired
b)and more importantly not cause an all out mutiny by the star players?

slick'81
05-28-2014, 03:36 AM
The nose knows

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 05:05 AM

Pop's untouchable. All that power's gotten to his head. If they lose he's just going to blame the players for not showing up.

travis2
05-28-2014, 05:38 AM
They didn't show up. WTF are you people wanting...for Pop to put on a uniform?

The starters sucked. Period. It's on them.

TampaDude
05-28-2014, 07:25 AM

^ this

Miami would sweep this Spurs team the way they played in Games 3 and 4. Pathetic.

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
There is no accountability

doldrums
05-28-2014, 09:05 AM
I would have made the same substitutions. Those guys played with more passion and performed infinitely better. Cory Joseph might have worked himself into the back up role based on his play. The starters werent complaining and admitted they played like crap. What do you want?

weebo
05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
I would have made the same substitutions. Those guys played with more passion and performed infinitely better. Cory Joseph might have worked himself into the back up role based on his play. The starters werent complaining and admitted they played like crap. What do you want?

I would have inserted at the very least Manu, after the 2/3 unit cut the lead. He played well enough in those two Okc games to get a shot of trying to bring the team back. I understand the starters (and most of the team) played like crap. However, this is the WCF and every game is important.

dg7md
05-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I agreed with Pop on this choice. No sense in wasting our precious minutes we have with Tim/Manu/Parker on a loss. Pop sent a good message I think and I hope the plane ride back to SA was a somber affair. They had no guts tonight, especially insulting after game 3's no-showing. At least CoJo and Diaw were great, though. We need Diaw to be offensively and defensively minded in this series to survive, he's perfect versus OKC.

No ref complaints can be the scapegoat of that beatdown. Horrible game, one of the worst I've ever seen watching the Spurs in my lifetime... such a crucial game and all of our starters played awful.

Russ
05-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Pop accomplished two things:

1. He rested his key players for Game 5.

2. He saved their psyches from a longer, more humiliating beat down.

Point #2 never gets mentioned but I think it's out there.

Ultimately, however, it's futile.

baseline bum
05-28-2014, 09:45 AM

The Spurs were fucking down 27 and are old. Why would he not pull his players?

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Pop's untouchable. All that power's gotten to his head. If they lose he's just going to blame the players for not showing up.

It was still the right call. Starters were completely worthless. Public humiliation time.

SnakeBoy
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
The Spurs were fucking down 27 and are old. Why would he not pull his players?

That's not what I asked. So forget about question a) what about question b) is there any other coach who could do that?Lebron, KD/Westchuck, Kobe, Griffin/Paul etc. would any of them accept being benched the 2nd half twice in a row and just say ah gee I trust my coach?

baseline bum
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
That's not what I asked. So forget about question a) what about question b) is there any other coach who could do that?Lebron, KD/Westchuck, Kobe, Griffin/Paul etc. would any of them accept being benched the 2nd half twice in a row and just say ah gee I trust my coach?

Spurs don't have any star players other than maybe Parker, and he deserved to be pulled. If he wants to whine about only getting 5 second half minutes he shouldn't have let the Thunder balloon the lead to 27 in his time on the floor.

05-28-2014, 10:35 AM
I think Pop was just rolling with who got him there. He messed up by putting in Mills but Cory had 5 fouls (in how many minutes? :lol)

heyheymymy
05-28-2014, 11:30 AM
pop don't care it's a deal with presti and the nba for money and interest. spurs in 7 with a hot story along with it. cant just have the final 4 be lackluster in the playoffs.

Budkin
05-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Putting it all on the line in Game 5.

Cry Havoc
05-28-2014, 11:40 AM
The average IQ in this forum HAS to be below 80. JR Smith isn't this ignorant.

SpurSwag
05-28-2014, 11:45 AM

baseline bum
05-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Pop accomplished two things:

1. He rested his key players for Game 5.

2. He saved their psyches from a longer, more humiliating beat down.

Point #2 never gets mentioned but I think it's out there.

Ultimately, however, it's futile.

Is that Game 5, Russ? :lol

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Subbing your guys out in a blowout is a no-brainer, tbh, easy decision..

Pop's lack of adjustments and the fact that he continues to play Belinelli(even having him guard Kevin Durant:lmao) is the more egregious issue that the media will ignore..

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I think history has shown that No matter what kind of rest they have it doesn't make them elite. Spurs had 3 days between game 2 and 3 and came out flat. Spurs had 5 minutes of Spurs basketball and then reverted back to shitty ball movement and fear. There is no amount of coaching at this point that Pop can do to get his players to execute but at the same time there is no spurs game film that shows them the secret to beating OKC at full strength. It's going to take some kind of mental mindfuck to get the Spurs to play with urgency and with effort.

This is what happens when you get complacent with legacy and living in the past. You know your team is screwed when your vets give up and quit and your coach doesn't demand anything out of them.

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
His decision to switch to Parker as the Westbrook defender was puzzling, too, as Westbrook was shooting just 37% from the field prior to game 4 and was horrible against Green..

silverblk mystix
05-28-2014, 12:35 PM
It is called a losing mentality.

A) The players quit because they are coddled pampered pussies who cannot have a scratch before they have to rest for 3-4 weeks and they learned this from the paranoid pussy coach.

B) The coach quit because instead of trying to show that warriors fight til the end - he pussy-coached and taught them to have an attitude of "we don't have it tonight - we will try again thursday - why tire ourselves?"

C) The pussy fans side with this pussy losing mentality because the franchise already has 4 rings..."why not just be grateful....we are lucky to have this coach...there are other teams that wish they had one ring...who would you replace Pop with?....sniff sniff...whimper...whimper....you are stupid....blah-blah"

2nd place is for losers and pussies...

Pussies.

hitmantb
05-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Spurs is a much much older team than Thunder, no other coach in the history of this league would be able to get the current GDP core 2-0 into the western conference finals and 28 seconds away from a title last year.

Think about what Hakeem/Shaq/Jordan were doing at age 38, they sure as hell weren't competing in the final rounds of playoffs.

Spurs fans are so incredibly spoiled. Only reason the team was/is a contender is because of Popovich's minute management of GDP. There is only so much you can do when Duncan is no longer capable of soloing Perkins/Adams of the world.

Anything GDP gives at this point is a gift, just enjoy the final moments of this core before this team sinks to the bottom half of the league for the next decade when Popovich retires.

silverblk mystix
05-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Spurs is a much much older team than Thunder, no other coach in the history of this league would be able to get the current GDP core 2-0 into the western conference finals and 28 seconds away from a title last year.

Think about what Hakeem/Shaq/Jordan were doing at age 38, they sure as hell weren't competing in the final rounds of playoffs.

Spurs fans are so incredibly spoiled. Only reason the team was/is a contender is because of Popovich's minute management of GDP. There is only so much you can do when Duncan is no longer capable of soloing Perkins/Adams of the world.

Anything GDP gives at this point is a gift, just enjoy the final moments of this core before this team sinks to the bottom half of the league for the next decade when Popovich retires.

Pussy Exhibit A ^^^^

smh

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
The problem I have is the Spurs are too mentally soft. All that coddling doesn't build championship character. Championship teams battle back from adversity to win. The other side of the coin is that Pop helped OKC's confidence by surrendering. When you do stupid stuff like that, that's how 10-10 shooting happens. There confidence is at an all-time high. Meanwhile your team probably doesn't even think they can win.

Skull-1
05-28-2014, 11:56 PM
The problem I have is the Spurs are too mentally soft. All that coddling doesn't build championship character. Championship teams battle back from adversity to win. The other side of the coin is that Pop helped OKC's confidence by surrendering. When you do stupid stuff like that, that's how 10-10 shooting happens. There confidence is at an all-time high. Meanwhile your team probably doesn't even think they can win.

Spurs teams have a long history of sulking when things get bad. We have never been good at clawing back when down.

siraulo23
05-29-2014, 12:34 AM
It is called a losing mentality.

A) The players quit because they are coddled pampered pussies who cannot have a scratch before they have to rest for 3-4 weeks and they learned this from the paranoid pussy coach.

B) The coach quit because instead of trying to show that warriors fight til the end - he pussy-coached and taught them to have an attitude of "we don't have it tonight - we will try again thursday - why tire ourselves?"

C) The pussy fans side with this pussy losing mentality because the franchise already has 4 rings..."why not just be grateful....we are lucky to have this coach...there are other teams that wish they had one ring...who would you replace Pop with?....sniff sniff...whimper...whimper....you are stupid....blah-blah"

2nd place is for losers and pussies...

Pussies.

other than ur choice of words, i agree with everything u said

this team is soft when things arent going their way

tim_duncan_fan
05-29-2014, 01:50 AM
There is no accountability

This is one of the bigger problems.

This team definitely has no leader on the court. May not have one on the bench either. So when most of the team pusses out and is ready to go home and play with the kids/try a new expensive wine/play some videogames/fuck an extramarital bitch (Tony)/get some dick&asshole from the roommate while Vanessa goes out to party/etc there is no one to inspire and rally everyone else to continue playing the game.

therealtruth
05-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Spurs teams have a long history of sulking when things get bad. We have never been good at clawing back when down.

What about Finals game 5 in 2005 or game 5 against the Suns in 2007? We're missing Horry and Bowen. I think two guys who were crucial in battling back when things go bad.

Skull-1
05-29-2014, 07:11 AM
What about Finals game 5 in 2005 or game 5 against the Suns in 2007? We're missing Horry and Bowen. I think two guys who were crucial in battling back when things go bad.

Outliers. Our overall history is pouting on the bench as SOP.

therealtruth
05-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Outliers. Our overall history is pouting on the bench as SOP.

My point is those guys made sure we didn't quit.