PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 Adjustments

deibero
05-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Game 4 was a forgettable game, but overall I think its the best it has ever felt watching the Spurs get blown out.

This is because the bench unit came in and showed us a lot of heart, cut into the lead, and play with so much fearlessness, aggressiveness and energy that I feel theres something to take from there.

It also showed that with better ball movement, confidence and patience we can execute our offense.

With that said this what many of us think and almost certainly will be Pop's adjustments for Game 5:

1. Start Diaw or even Bonner, get floor spacing out there by pulling Ibaka off the paint. Perkins wont do damage offensively so there could be good advantages of playing Bonner in this series because you can hide him on defense, and he has always rebounded better than given credit for. Diaw is also a great option and the only player crafty enough to take Ibaka one and one and be able to spread the floor at the same time. Diaw could also stay in when the Thunder go small by guarding Durant and switching Kawhi into RW.

2. Splitter could use minutes together with Manu. He's better cut to play against Adams and the Thunder second unit.

3. No more Belinelli. If he's not taking or hitting shots, and cant create for others while being a liability on defense there's really no point of having him out there. I think you give his minutes to CoJo who showed us he's not afraid to go at RW and has the capability to disrupt him somewhat on defense. You can even play CoJo with Mills when they play RW and Jackson.

I think Spurs take game 5, theres too much heart to let history repeat itself and get backdoor swept, just cant see it happening. Then they steal 6 on the road. Remember all streaks have to end sometime and 9 consecutive L's on OKC is due to end.

Jimcs50
05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Start Joseph instead of Green. Put him on Westbrook. If he collects fouls, no big deal.

ducks
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
green plays much better at home but joseph has to play

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
05-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Solid post Tbh. All your points are absolutely true.
Many of our brethren have jumped off a cliff already Tbh, but like you, i believe they learned something those 2 games in OKC.
its 2-2 my friends you all knew this wouldn't be easy.
Game 5 we will see the true Spurs we know and love and that will carry on to game 6.

cd98
05-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Pass the ball and make open shots that they have made all year.

deibero
05-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Start Joseph instead of Green. Put him on Westbrook. If he collects fouls, no big deal.

No, off the bench playing Beli's minutes and even some of Mills, depending if Mills is making shots or not...

Pako
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
I need the pick and roll. I don't know why the spurs went away from it.. Since they are hacking all our players, they should start with the good pick and roll. That will pull away ibaka or adam away from the paint and creates mismatches... gees!!! they need to post up too.. diaw, leanard, Duncan should post up. That will slow down the pace of the game...

sananspursfan21
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
All of the spurs can be more crafty with Ibaka. Ibaka is a human being that is great at blocking shots. He's not a machine. Pump fakes, hesitations, and keeping him out on the perimeter are all ways of limiting his defensive ability. I don't get why they're just haplessly chucking the ball up there

sananspursfan21
05-28-2014, 10:39 AM
And what about Aron Baynes? Didn't he do pretty well in game 1?

Spurs4#5
05-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Solid post bro. I don't understand most of the people here on spurstalk which is why I don't post much. Before the series started most people though 7 game series with ibaka in and a 5 game series with him out. So why people are jumping off the cliff is beyone me. I could care less if we lose in okc. This series becomes a problem when they beat us in San Antonio. I believe in pop and the spurs and my confidence isn't as easily shaken as most on here

UZER
05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Stop running the damn pick n rolls right into 3 defenders. The Biggs don't even have to work on D. The spurs are always within 3 feet of reach other in the paint.

Clear one side and run more two man inside out game with a shooter, not Parker. Old school nba with Diaw posting. Guys need room to work. Ibaka is not a great one on one post defender. He's decent but not great.

Drew2354
05-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Agreed...Splitter should stay on the bench for the rest of the series, Replace him with Diaw in the starting lineup. Spread the rest of the mins. with Bonner (who can spread the floor) and Baynes ( that plays with toughness and has strength). Give CoJo Marcos Mins. And we should be good to go.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't know how much the starters took note of the bench and their come back. They looked too dejected.

The scariest thing is it feels like the Spurs are splitting apart internally. With such a short turnaround that's awfully dangerous.

I disagree with Pop that the Spurs tried to attack the rim too much. Parker showed up.

I just want to see the Spurs force OKC to shoot from outside as much as possible.

Boomersgold
05-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Stop with the excessive passes. The Spurs need to get out of that 'if I've got an open shot, but you've got a better one, I'll pass it to you' mentality. It's frustrating to see Splitter attempt to pass off a wide open shot to Diaw only to have it knocked away by Serge or Adams.

Vash StampedE
05-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Hope we see this on play next game.

peacemaker885
05-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Pass the ball and make open shots that they have made all year.

This. Just make your shots. Don't turnover the ball. Basic basketball I guess which we couldn't do in the last game.

Spurs4#5
05-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't think we should bench splitter for the rest of the series. But him coming off the bench is what I would suspect happening in favor of diaw.

xtremesteven33
05-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Damn this is when we need a guy like Stephen Jackson. Not afraid of moments and likes the pressure.

Old School 44
05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Anybody else the Spurs can play fast. Slow the game down. Make it a half court game. Protect the ball. Play like Memphis plays OKC.

bklynspursfan
05-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Diaw has to start. Plain and simple...

Him being out there draws Ibaka away from the basket. Yes they lose Splitter's defense, but the fact is, the Starters need to get in a groove offensively. They are a unit where their offense can fuel their defense. And if OKC counters by putting Perk on Diaw, then that's a P&R all day with he & TP. Either gets Perkins to come out and guard Parker or gives Diaw a big advantage in the post.

He has to start, and I hope Pop makes the move. This starting unit needs a mixup and they need more fluidity to their offense.

Spurs4#5
Damn this is when we need a guy like Stephen Jackson. Not afraid of moments and likes the pressure.
From what we saw yesterday I think cojo is that guy. He didn't back down at all and took it right to the thunder. Fun fact is our 3rd string out played their first string and we actually won the second half

deibero
I don't know how much the starters took note of the bench and their come back. They looked too dejected.

The scariest thing is it feels like the Spurs are splitting apart internally. With such a short turnaround that's awfully dangerous.

I disagree with Pop that the Spurs tried to attack the rim too much. Parker showed up.

I just want to see the Spurs force OKC to shoot from outside as much as possible.

Duncan himself said postgame that the bench showed them how to attack and it was good to be on the bench and analyze how they were doing it

Jimcs50
05-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Start Manu and Diaw. Those two play well together.

Bring Green and Joseph off bench with Splitter.

Diaw needs to hit his outside shots, if he can do that, Ibaka would have to go further away from rim.

deibero
05-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Start Manu and Diaw. Those two play well together.

Bring Green and Joseph off bench with Splitter.

Diaw needs to hit his outside shots, if he can do that, Ibaka would have to go further away from rim.

Green has to start for defense and because hes worthless off the bench, for me thats not an option.

If diaw isnt hitting his shots i wouldnt mind turning to Bonner at that point, even if hes missing you cant give him that shot so it will spread everything automatically.

Jimcs50
05-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Green has to start for defense and because hes worthless off the bench, for me thats not an option.

If diaw isnt hitting his shots i wouldnt mind turning to Bonner at that point, even if hes missing you cant give him that shot so it will spread everything automatically.

Never thought I'd hear a fan want Bonner to play much anymore.

:p:

kaji157
05-28-2014, 11:02 AM

I disagree, Danny has been very good feeding of Mills playmaking, and Mills has gotten Danny going many times.
The problem is that as long as Parker countinues to play awfull on both ends you cannot put him on Westbrook.
This is a move i would like but for game 6 in case we win game 5.

Spurs4#5
05-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Never thought I'd hear a fan want Bonner to play much anymore.

:p:

Even though Bonner isn't the best he does exactly what we need which is make their bigs guard him out of the paint. They were giving diaw the 3 to keep the bugs in the paint. I highly doubt they'd do that with bonner

xtremesteven33
05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
From what we saw yesterday I think cojo is that guy. He didn't back down at all and took it right to the thunder. Fun fact is our 3rd string out played their first string and we actually won the second half

I liked what I saw from Cojo last night, but Im not convinced hes the savior just yet. Parker needs to not shrivel up in a ball and piss all over himself anymore.

weebo
05-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Start Diaw instead of Splitter. Split minutes between Cojo and Mills. No more Marco.

weebo
05-28-2014, 11:20 AM

True that. We need some guys that aren't afraid to make love to pressure.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Good post. Belinelli is not a good matchup against OKC. For once I agree with going small and being as aggressive and explosive as possible. Mills and Joseph should be assigned to Westbrook, along with Leonard for certain stretches. I'd rotate fresh legs to guard Westbrook throughout the game and make it the players mission to hound the sh!t of him up and down the floor.

Parker needs to follow the ball movement philosophy and not hold onto the ball too long. It's not working against Ibaka and company.

Pop is going to have to pull a couple of rabbits out of his hat. Last night, rather than throw in the towel I'd of mixed up some lineups in the 3rd quarter to find some combos that worked. Rolling the bench out and turning it into extended garbage time was not productive in my mind. A moral victory doesn't show us how to actually win the game.

I don't know about Bonner. He's so slow-footed on defense that I think we'll give back on the defensive end everything that we gained on offensive side with him.

That being said, the Spurs will still win the series.

itzsoweezee
05-28-2014, 11:33 AM
The obvious move would be to move Tiago to the bench. Is Popovich too stubborn to do it?

Spurs' offensive/defensive ratings with/without Splitter:

On the court (80 minutes): Offensive Rating: 101.1 per 100 possessions | Defensive Rating: 103.5 per 100 possessions | Net Rating: -2.4
Off the court (112 minutes): Offensive Rating: 115.2 per 100 possessions | Defensive Rating: 102.0 per 100 possessions | Net Rating: +13.2

EVAY
05-28-2014, 11:43 AM

I had the same reaction to Pop's comment about going to the rim….I mean he was bemoaning our lack of aggression in the previous game and saying that was why we didn't get to the line as much, and then he says that!?

Parker did show up and was fearless going in among the trees.

As someone else mentioned, out bigs have wretched spacing of late. Notice when the third string was in there how Diaw was able to take Ibaka on the post because the spacing was so good. That has to happen.

Splitter has to sit.

Jimcs50
05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
This series reminds me of our 05 team's series against Detroit. Blowouts every game by home team. I'm hoping that we get great close win in game 5, just as we did then, then win again in game 7.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT HI POINTS HI REBOUNDS HI ASSISTS
Thu, Jun 9 vsDetroit W84-69 M. Ginobili 26 T. Duncan 17 C. Billups 6
Sun, Jun 12 vsDetroit W97-76 M. Ginobili 27 T. Duncan 11 M. Ginobili 7
Tue, Jun 14 DET[/MENTION]roit L96-79 R. Hamilton 24 B. Wallace 11 C. Billups 7
Thu, Jun 16 DET[/MENTION]roit L102-71 C. Billups 17 T. Duncan 16 C. Billups 7
Sun, Jun 19 DET[/MENTION]roit W96-95 OT C. Billups 34 T. Duncan 19 M. Ginobili 9
Tue, Jun 21 vsDetroit L95-86 R. Hamilton 23 T. Duncan 15 C. Billups 6
Thu, Jun 23 vsDetroit W81-74 T. Duncan 25 T. Duncan 11 C. Billups 8

BillMc
05-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Run the loop. Westbrook is a strong on the ball defender, but not a strong off the ball defender (he is notorious for losing his man). Running the loop for Tony has a good chance of freeing him up.

UZER
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Run the loop. Westbrook is a strong on the ball defender, but not a strong off the ball defender (he is notorious for losing his man). Running the loop for Tony has a good chance of freeing him up.

If the big men remember how to set screens. Right now they're just letting Russell run through everyone without any resistance.

TheRemix
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Good points but why kawhi on westbrook? I don't see the advantage of that. I think WB will burn him every time

look_at_g_shred
05-28-2014, 12:10 PM
This series reminds me of our 05 team's series against Detroit. Blowouts every game by home team. I'm hoping that we get great close win in game 5, just as we did then, then win again in game 7.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT HI POINTS HI REBOUNDS HI ASSISTS
Thu, Jun 9 vsDetroit W84-69 M. Ginobili 26 T. Duncan 17 C. Billups 6
Sun, Jun 12 vsDetroit W97-76 M. Ginobili 27 T. Duncan 11 M. Ginobili 7
Tue, Jun 14 DETroit L96-79 R. Hamilton 24 B. Wallace 11 C. Billups 7
Thu, Jun 16 DETroit L102-71 C. Billups 17 T. Duncan 16 C. Billups 7
Sun, Jun 19 DETroit W96-95 OT C. Billups 34 T. Duncan 19 M. Ginobili 9
Tue, Jun 21 vsDetroit L95-86 R. Hamilton 23 T. Duncan 15 C. Billups 6
Thu, Jun 23 vsDetroit W81-74 T. Duncan 25 T. Duncan 11 C. Billups 8
This series reminds me of 2012.

ElNono
05-28-2014, 12:13 PM
:pop: "Make some shots"

Jimcs50
05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
This series reminds me of 2012.

not even close. Only 1 blowout in that series.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-28-2014, 12:21 PM
I say keep both Marco and Mills on the bench, their defense is not meant for this series. They might be better suited against Miami, but they do no damage against OKC. Also, let the starters know that if Cory Joseph isn't afraid to drive at Ibaka, then they shouldn't be either.

From an execution standpoint, we need to see the bigs pass much better, that's how you make Ibaka and Adams pay for cheating on defense. If the passing improves, then Ibaka and Adams will stay more disciplined and this will allow Duncan and Diaw more post 1 on 1 play.

heyheymymy
05-28-2014, 12:22 PM
i want to see baynes go in to spell a big in the 2nd q when ibaka is in and play really physical on him

Seventyniner
05-28-2014, 12:23 PM
The Spurs can probably get away with playing Bonner if Perkins is on the floor (and Duncan isn't). Pretty risky though.

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Diaw hasn't been able to guard a scrub like Caron Butler, how the fuck is he going to guard Durant, tbh?:lol..

And Westbrook was shooting 37% in the series prior to game 4, where he did most of his damage against Spurs' PGs and in transition..he has been horrible against Danny Green, I don't know why Pop decided to change that matchup..I'd much rather have Parker guarding Lamb and hoping OKC tries to exploit it..

The biggest issue with the Spurs' defense has been their own offense, tbh..too many transition opportunities off turnovers and bad shots..

crc21209
05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Good post. Belinelli is not a good matchup against OKC. For once I agree with going small and being as aggressive and explosive as possible. Mills and Joseph should be assigned to Westbrook, along with Leonard for certain stretches. I'd rotate fresh legs to guard Westbrook throughout the game and make it the players mission to hound the sh!t of him up and down the floor.

Parker needs to follow the ball movement philosophy and not hold onto the ball too long. It's not working against Ibaka and company.

Pop is going to have to pull a couple of rabbits out of his hat. Last night, rather than throw in the towel I'd of mixed up some lineups in the 3rd quarter to find some combos that worked. Rolling the bench out and turning it into extended garbage time was not productive in my mind. A moral victory doesn't show us how to actually win the game.

I don't know about Bonner. He's so slow-footed on defense that I think we'll give back on the defensive end everything that we gained on offensive side with him.

That being said, the Spurs will still win the series.

:tu. Belinelli's time in this series should probably be over. Green, Manu, and even Joseph should take the minutes Belinelli was getting. If Brooks continues to run the Westbrook-Jackson lineup Pop should counter with Parker-Joseph or Mills-Joseph. Last night Pop went away from Green on Westbrook? Why? He used Parker on Westbrook more and look what happened. Use Green on Westbrook and put Parker on a hobbled Jackson.

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 12:29 PM
The adjustments I would make:

- Go back to Green on Westbrook, stupid decision to have Parker guarding him..have Tony check Lamb

- More off-ball action from Parker against Westbrook's poor off-ball defense

- Make Ibaka's man move off the ball, either Diaw or Leonard, as it can't be Duncan or Splitter

- Less Duncan and Splitter together

- Interior touches for Leonard with Splitter/Duncan off the floor..Kawhi is settling for bad shots because there's no spacing..opening it up and allowing him to work inside takes pressure off Parker and Ginobili

- Stop being indecisive..way too many passed up shots, way too many extra passes, it's leading to transition opportunities, which is where OKC is doing a ton of damage

- Play with more energy, obviously

- Belinelli shouldn't see another second of playing time, he's one of the worst big-game players I have ever seen, tbh

crc21209
Diaw hasn't been able to guard a scrub like Caron Butler, how the fuck is he going to guard Durant, tbh?:lol..

And Westbrook was shooting 37% in the series prior to game 4, where he did most of his damage against Spurs' PGs and in transition..he has been horrible against Danny Green, I don't know why Pop decided to change that matchup..I'd much rather have Parker guarding Lamb and hoping OKC tries to exploit it..

The biggest issue with the Spurs' defense has been their own offense, tbh..too many transition opportunities off turnovers and bad shots..

I just posted that as well. Why the hell did he change the matchup and primarily use Parker on Westbrook last night? Green had done a great job so far and then Pop went away from it last night and Westbrook went off ..:td

BillMc
Hipcheck Westbrook into the scorer's table, hope every Thunder player but Perkins runs off the bench.

chrhawk
1. Start Diaw
2. Actually take some hard fouls on Westbrook
3. Hope that the refs start calling reaching fouls on Thursday.

BillMc
05-28-2014, 12:32 PM
If the big men remember how to set screens. Right now they're just letting Russell run through everyone without any resistance.

Yeah, the screen setting's been awful.

cd021
05-28-2014, 01:08 PM
:tu agreed. plus Green would be paired with Diaw, Mills, Manu and Splitter. That should be better defensively.

EVAY
05-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Screen setting and rebounding. The absence of the first is killing us offensively; the absence of the second is killing us defensively because they get back in transition so fast.

cd021
05-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Green has held WB to 39% in the 8 regular season meetings over the past two years. Green is definitely a 'Brook stopper. Hide Parker of Jackson and hope his ankle is gimpy.

RD2191
05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Pop really is overrated, why the fuck would you put a scrawny frenchman on an American athletic monster? We could all see it coming. Fucking Westbrook drops 40. SMH. Pull your head out of your ass, Pop. :pctoss

Strategic
05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Hipcheck Westbrook into the scorer's tableand make sure his mouth is open wide.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Don't know how to embed tweets but here are some from today:

Dan McCarney ‏@danmccarneysaen 1h

Popovich said he cited Joseph at film session today at the approach he's looking for: "Everybody has to take the attitude of Cory Joseph..."

"...kind of a take-no-prisoners, bunker mentality. He was fantastic, and he did that better than anybody on our team.”

Popovich's message was the same as last night: More than any tactical tweaks, Spurs mainly have to match OKC's intensity and desperation.

Pop on possible lineup changes: "We’re considering a couple of tweaks, just in the game plan. I don’t know exactly where that will be...."

"...but we saw some things that might warrant a little tweak here and there."

bklynspursfan
05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Don't know how to embed tweets but here are some from today:

Dan McCarney ‏@danmccarneysaen 1h

Popovich said he cited Joseph at film session today at the approach he's looking for: "Everybody has to take the attitude of Cory Joseph..."

"...kind of a take-no-prisoners, bunker mentality. He was fantastic, and he did that better than anybody on our team.”

Popovich's message was the same as last night: More than any tactical tweaks, Spurs mainly have to match OKC's intensity and desperation.

Pop on possible lineup changes: "We’re considering a couple of tweaks, just in the game plan. I don’t know exactly where that will be...."

"...but we saw some things that might warrant a little tweak here and there."

I hope it's just CIA Pop , but it almost sounds like he might stick with the same starting 5. Which I hope isn't the case. I hope they strongly consider the possible tweaks. I would think it's Manu/Diaw or something. I think it was game 5 in 2012 he started Manu and Manu put up like 30 points in a loss.

bklynspursfan
05-28-2014, 03:38 PM

Nathan89
05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Diaw was able to take Ibaka on the post because the spacing was so good.

Diaw was able to take Ibaka because he decided to be aggressive.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-28-2014, 04:10 PM

I think Splitter eats a lot of leather trying to post up Ibaka. Duncan on the other hand could certainly make Ibaka work.

And I agree that Green needs more run on Westbrook as well. I hate to say it but Parker was a liability last game.

bklynspursfan
05-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I think Splitter eats a lot of leather trying to post up Ibaka. Duncan on the other hand could certainly make Ibaka work.

And I agree that Green needs more run on Westbrook as well. I hate to say it but Parker was a liability last game.

Yup. And with a hobbled Jackson, there is no reason not to have Green on WB. Like none at all. I see it as, the last 2 games were the first 2 real games of the series. So now it's on Pop to adjust. Like GS last year, switch Green on Curry I think was game 2 or 3. It takes a game or 2 to see what your opponent wants to do, but now is where Pop must make adjustments.

Spur|n|Austin
05-28-2014, 04:24 PM
“We’re considering a couple of tweaks here and there, just in the game plan,” he said. “I don’t know exactly where that will be. But we saw some things that might warrant a little tweak here and there.” - Popovich

Read More: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/05/28/citing-josephs-example-popovich-calls-for-more-heart-in-game-5/

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 04:28 PM
make Boris Diaw shoot every 3 he gets a look at. I don't care if the guy can't buy a bucket, but if OKC is giving him that open of looks on the 3's, you take it.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Even so, Popovich said film study revealed opportunities that can be exploited — which, of course, he declined to reveal the media. (Hey, we had to ask.)

jARS mEsH sEt
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
make Boris Diaw shoot every 3 he gets a look at. I don't care if the guy can't buy a bucket, but if OKC is giving him that open of looks on the 3's, you take it.

If we're going to go this route, I'd rather Bonner take Boris' spot. Seriously.

ceperez
05-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Start Diaw instead of Splitter. Split minutes between Cojo and Mills. No more Marco.

Agree no more Marco. Marco should only be on the court if he's willing to take the 3 point shot, 3 feet away from the 3 point line.

Splitter is being exposed, nobody is guarding him when he's at the perimeter.

Ayres is no use at all. Sit Daye instead for situations when we need to spread the floor more.

Play Bonner instead of Splitter. At least he can spread the floor. Maybe even play Bonner to occassionally defend against Durant.

cd021
05-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Anybody else the Spurs can play fast. Slow the game down. Make it a half court game. Protect the ball. Play like Memphis plays OKC.
Not that kind of team. They were middle of the pack in pace but Memphis thrived playing down tempo with ZBo and Gasol being suited for that style.

Duncan can't score on Perk like that. Splitter is an ok post scorer but not against Ibaka. Spurs guards like to score in transition

-Mills and Green pull up 3's
-Manu's using transition screens to get to the rack
-Leonard playing the passing lane
-Parker's 1 man fast breaks.

I think that plays right into the Thunders hands.

cd021
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
If we're going to go this route, I'd rather Bonner take Boris' spot. Seriously.

its a shame Diaw didn't shoot 3's in the regular season, teams are more willing to leave him open (like Bosh on Miami) but that can be a good thing. Bonner has the reputation and teams refuse to leave him open if they can absolutely help it. He still stretches the defense by keeping his man from sagging off. Diaw's man still helps off of him and on to the ball handler.

Bonner isn't the defender nor is he a post threat that Diaw is (not to mention the passing). He almost always has positive effects on the offense (+8 in game 4). I'd like to see Pop start Diaw with Duncan and play Splitter and Bonner together at the 4. They can't trap/ show and recover off Mills or Manu without leaving him open briefly.

Then again Diaws ability to drive may change the way defenders close out on him. They are more willing to fly at Bonner and let him drive as opposed to Diaw who has been pretty good on drives passing and scoring.

UZER
05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
its a shame Diaw didn't shoot 3's in the regular season, teams are more willing to leave him open (like Bosh on Miami) but that can be a good thing. Bonner has the reputation and teams refuse to leave him open if they can absolutely help it. He still stretches the defense by keeping his man from sagging off. Diaw's man still helps off of him and on to the ball handler.

Bonner isn't the defender nor is he a post threat that Diaw is (not to mention the passing). He almost always has positive effects on the offense (+8 in game 4). I'd like to see Pop start Diaw with Duncan and play Splitter and Bonner together at the 4. They can't trap/ show and recover off Mills or Manu without leaving him open briefly.

Then again Diaws ability to drive may change the way defenders close out on him. They are more willing to fly at Bonner and let him drive as opposed to Diaw who has been pretty good on drives passing and scoring.

I think Diaw will he better from the 3 going forward. With all the minutes and focus he got last game, he was able to find some timing and feel for the okc defenders. He'll be more comfortable.

Knoxxx
05-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I liked what I saw from Cojo last night, but Im not convinced hes the savior just yet. Parker needs to not shrivel up in a ball and piss all over himself anymore.

I don't think anyone on our team is the savior, the key is it is a TEAM. We saw what a fresh Cojo could do against a tiring Westbrook, who played 45 minutes. Bottom line, the Thunder don't have a backup point guard. I'd run Cojo, Parker, and a bigger player (Leonard?) at WB all game long. Parker CANNOT play big minutes against WB at this stage in his career, that's folly.

The same is true of Durant and Ibaka. Run lots of players at them. Give them weird matchups. Small guys. Big guys. 3 point shooting guys. All of the above fresh guys. Get them off balance and tired, it will work.

ezau
05-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Game 4 was a forgettable game, but overall I think its the best it has ever felt watching the Spurs get blown out.

This is because the bench unit came in and showed us a lot of heart, cut into the lead, and play with so much fearlessness, aggressiveness and energy that I feel theres something to take from there.

It also showed that with better ball movement, confidence and patience we can execute our offense.

With that said this what many of us think and almost certainly will be Pop's adjustments for Game 5:

1. Start Diaw or even Bonner, get floor spacing out there by pulling Ibaka off the paint. Perkins wont do damage offensively so there could be good advantages of playing Bonner in this series because you can hide him on defense, and he has always rebounded better than given credit for. Diaw is also a great option and the only player crafty enough to take Ibaka one and one and be able to spread the floor at the same time. Diaw could also stay in when the Thunder go small by guarding Durant and switching Kawhi into RW.

2. Splitter could use minutes together with Manu. He's better cut to play against Adams and the Thunder second unit.

3. No more Belinelli. If he's not taking or hitting shots, and cant create for others while being a liability on defense there's really no point of having him out there. I think you give his minutes to CoJo who showed us he's not afraid to go at RW and has the capability to disrupt him somewhat on defense. You can even play CoJo with Mills when they play RW and Jackson.

I think Spurs take game 5, theres too much heart to let history repeat itself and get backdoor swept, just cant see it happening. Then they steal 6 on the road. Remember all streaks have to end sometime and 9 consecutive L's on OKC is due to end.

Number 1 is imperative. I think the Spurs should start Diaw then Bonner would replace him. The Spurs need to make the Thunder pay for clogging the paint so much.

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 09:55 PM

He doesn't have to take the 3. But he can use the space to create a shot or make a play.

Pop can't blow the defensive matchups. The only guys who can guard Westbrook should be TP, DG, and Cory. For Durant, DG or Kawhi. Don't screw up the defensive matchups!

Chinook
05-28-2014, 10:18 PM
:tu agreed. plus Green would be paired with Diaw, Mills, Manu and Splitter. That should be better defensively.

Hell no. There really shouldn't be a second unit anymore. Pop needs to go eight deep with Joseph ninth man/sixth perimeter player getting spot minutes. Pop needs to wake up and realize the Spurs aren't in the WCF because of their bench. It's one thing for the media to have that misconception, but it's his job to know the truth.

Proxy
05-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Agree with moving Tiago to the bench to space Ibaka. Keep Green in the starting 5.

Judge Belli and Mills in the first quarter for a few minutes... if they still don't do shit then Pop cust his losses the way Brooks took Thabo and Collison out of his rotation.

Switch big men, give best players heavier minutes. If things don't change, put Cojo in as a desperation move.

Trifecta
05-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Stop with the excessive passes. The Spurs need to get out of that 'if I've got an open shot, but you've got a better one, I'll pass it to you' mentality. It's frustrating to see Splitter attempt to pass off a wide open shot to Diaw only to have it knocked away by Serge or Adams.

Agreed - the overpassing is driving me crazy!

deibero
05-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Thinking about it more Bonner doesnt spread the floor that much because okc can go small and put kd or even butler on him, something they cant do with diaw because he takes them to the post

therealtruth
05-29-2014, 05:57 PM
I think the Spurs can keep Splitter in the lineup but they've got to involve him more so Ibaka actually has to work. Starting Diaw to shoot 3's isn't good enough. Last time Pop decided to start Ginobili and it took away from TP's aggressiveness. We need our best defenders for WB, KD to play as many minutes as possible. I think even a lineup with CJ, Green, and Leonard might be necessary at times. They and TP sometimes are the only guys who have a chance of staying in front of anyone on the perimeter.

Chinook
05-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Thinking about it more Bonner doesnt spread the floor that much because okc can go small and put kd or even butler on him, something they cant do with diaw because he takes them to the post

At this point, the Spurs want OKC to play small. If Bonner can force them to do so, the Spurs should try it.

Seventyniner
05-29-2014, 06:48 PM
At this point, the Spurs want OKC to play small. If Bonner can force them to do so, the Spurs should try it.

Unless you're recommending Bonner as the only big, or a Bonner/Diaw pairing, you'll have a big mismatch on D.

ducks
05-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Chinook
05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Unless you're recommending Bonner as the only big, or a Bonner/Diaw pairing, you'll have a big mismatch on D.

You have a two-way mismatch between Duncan and Ibaka. That works in the Spurs' favor.

downunder
05-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Play the same team - the big 3 and rotate bench. Joseph played in garbage time last game and OKC did not contest. His driving into the paint wont work when OKC serious. The bench is for 3s. The team must not stop spreading the ball and Baynes must help on rebounds and not shoot unless under the ring. Duncan must not bring the ball up the Court but must be concentrating on his post and shooting chances. Finally move Ibaka ; Baynes elbow would help.