PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Discrepancy over officiating

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Not sure about the statistics in the past, but we've noticed two instances this post-season where a coach and a player blamed the refs for poor officiating. If any of the Spurs players could muster up and infer that the refs are making a couple bad calls, do you think the NBA would be under closer scrutiny for such poor officiating throughout the playoffs?

Chris
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
The NBA actually got busted already with the Tim Donaghe or however u spell it. They pretty much put all of the blame on him. None of the other officials were implicated, and most of them still officiate today with the exception of Steve Javie. The NBA isnt going to do shit, but hand out fines.

Thebesteva
05-28-2014, 02:40 PM
The NBA actually got busted already with the Tim Donaghe or however u spell it. They pretty much put all of the blame on him. None of the other officials were implicated, and most of them still officiate today with the exception of Steve Javie. The NBA isnt going to do shit, but hand out fines.

Its amazing when you think about it. The fact, for years I and many many others believed the NBA was RIGGED and then a ref gets busted gambling on games. He then goes on to say all the refs rig games and he was the only one foolish enough to bet on it and get caught.

Yet, the NBA sold it as a rogue referee that was pathetic and disgraced the game. It's truly amazing that most people bought that crap.

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I doubt they give a rat fuck when you already have them turning a blind eye on that well as the obvious PED usage

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Its amazing when you think about it. The fact, for years I and many many others believed the NBA was RIGGED and then a ref gets busted gambling on games. He then goes on to say all the refs rig games and he was the only one foolish enough to bet on it and get caught.

Yet, the NBA sold it as a rogue referee that was pathetic and disgraced the game. It's truly amazing that most people bought that crap.

Pretty sad Tim Donaghy was the ultimate scapegoat for all of that. I didn't buy it

Dex
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
I doubt they give a rat fuck when you already have them turning a blind eye on that well as the obvious PED usage

Truth kabooms.

Thebesteva
05-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Pretty sad Tim Donaghy was the ultimate scapegoat for all of that. I didn't buy it

Remember listening to Jim Rome during that time and a former mob boss in jail was the special guest, and he said its hilarious the NBA is pretending hes a rogue referee and that David Stern and the powers to be would OBVIOUSLY know something was up if a ref was making suspect calls over and over again. Its obvious when you think about it, the NBA knew what was up because theyre a part of it. It wasnt until the feds busted Donaghy that the NBA played the rogue card and that they had no idea

KaiRMD1
05-28-2014, 03:21 PM
It's the same with the Sterling situation. When it first happened, the NBA just swept it under the rug until this latest tif happened. I think the biggest thing that happened with the refs was in 2002 when I think a congressman got involved after the Kings-Lakers series. Either way, NBA doesn't give a shit because the refs are instructed to do what's best for business

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 03:23 PM
I mean, you would think that through rational thinking, if a coach and a player, along with many fans out there claiming that the officiating is egregious, the NBA would have due diligence to investigate or look into the actual call instead of fining players and coaches left and right. But, when the NBA screws up a call that can decide the game, all they do is apologize... an apology isn't going to do jack shit.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Remember listening to Jim Rome during that time and a former mob boss in jail was the special guest, and he said its hilarious the NBA is pretending hes a rogue referee and that David Stern and the powers to be would OBVIOUSLY know something was up if a ref was making suspect calls over and over again. Its obvious when you think about it, the NBA knew what was up because theyre a part of it. It wasnt until the feds busted Donaghy that the NBA played the rogue card and that they had no idea

If I remember correctly, David Stern rebutted that both those guys were jailbirds and not credible. But the fact remains, they didn't indicate any other evidence of screening all the other referees after the Tim Donaghy incident. Just tried to sweep it under the rug

Thebesteva
05-28-2014, 03:32 PM
If I remember correctly, David Stern rebutted that both those guys were jailbirds and not credible. But the fact remains, they didn't indicate any other evidence of screening all the other referees after the Tim Donaghy incident. Just tried to sweep it under the rug

The amazing thing is that it worked. I watched the NFL for the same amount of time as the NBA, Ive never felt the NFL was rigged. I've seen poorly officiated games, but I never felt there was an agenda. I equally love the Broncos in the NFL as much as the Lakers and I have never once considered an agenda for or against them, how come the NBA feels so blatantly obvious? Because it is

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
The amazing thing is that it worked. I watched the NFL for the same amount of time as the NBA, Ive never felt the NFL was rigged. I've seen poorly officiated games, but I never felt there was an agenda. I equally love the Broncos in the NFL as much as the Lakers and I have never once considered an agenda for or against them, how come the NBA feels so blatantly obvious? Because it is

No ability to challenge reviews tbh

Edit: otherwise, you get fined :lmao

Thebesteva
05-28-2014, 03:49 PM
No ability to challenge reviews tbh

Edit: otherwise, you get fined :lmao

The lame excuse is that the NBA is much more fast paced than the NFL and its much harder to officiate a non stop game as compared to a 1 play at a time style

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
The lame excuse is that the NBA is much more fast paced than the NFL and its much harder to officiate a non stop game as compared to a 1 play at a time style

I agree with that to a certain extent, but I believe they should hold reviews where the refs have conflicting calls. Many times, one ref just points to the other and ask if they're sure they saw the foul. Even if Tim Donaghy was the sole actor in fixing games in the past, this behavior only sets up refs to do the same shit in the future.

DMC
05-28-2014, 05:18 PM

He didn't say they rig games. Quite the opposite actually. He said they have tendencies and he knew those tendencies so he knew how to bet. He knew Bavetta likes to keep the game close, while other refs will defer foul calls to a role player if a star is in foul trouble already. I saw Joey do that last night with Durant who wasn't even in foul trouble. You can dismiss that by saying anyone can make a mistake and that it was corrected, but if I short change you every time you come to my store, and you only catch a few of them, I'm making a decent profit off of cheating you. Also, if I never accidentally short change myself, you know it's an intentional thing. You don't see Durant accidentally pick up a foul that should go to someone else. Hell, Lamb wasn't even in the play except catching the ball after Patty fell.

DMC
05-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I mean, you would think that through rational thinking, if a coach and a player, along with many fans out there claiming that the officiating is egregious, the NBA would have due diligence to investigate or look into the actual call instead of fining players and coaches left and right. But, when the NBA screws up a call that can decide the game, all they do is apologize... an apology isn't going to do jack shit.

That's like telling the HR lady that the CEO is harrassing you. She's hired by him, she'll approach him and tell him you're complaining and he'll find a way to move or fire you and the complaint will magically vanish. It's a conflict of interest to have the officials hired by the league.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 05:53 PM
That's like telling the HR lady that the CEO is harrassing you. She's hired by him, she'll approach him and tell him you're complaining and he'll find a way to move or fire you and the complaint will magically vanish. It's a conflict of interest to have the officials hired by the league.

Agreed. But there has to be something that triggers NBA to be on their toes about this. If the media were smart they should've scrutinized the NBA even more. I'm just saying that there needs to be something to happen again in order to keep the league on their toes so the media can question the integrity of today's NBA.

Franklin
05-28-2014, 06:18 PM
We're just getting the same ref treatment monkeyball received in game 5 of the Clippers-thunder series imho.

DMC
05-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Agreed. But there has to be something that triggers NBA to be on their toes about this. If the media were smart they should've scrutinized the NBA even more. I'm just saying that there needs to be something to happen again in order to keep the league on their toes so the media can question the integrity of today's NBA.

The NBA's tried and true response is to ignore it and brush it off as nonsense. The players and coaches are whores for the system so they'll initially call out the the refs and then you'll see them change their tune just like how JVG did back when he was fined 100K for calling out the officiating. He later rescinded his remarks. Whores eventually just swallow the load, despite the taste, though they might complain a bit at first. That roll of money sitting on the dresser is the truth for them.

UZER
05-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Why question integrity when they all want Durant vs Lebron?

Chris
05-28-2014, 07:06 PM
The NBA's tried and true response is to ignore it and brush it off as nonsense. The players and coaches are whores for the system so they'll initially call out the the refs and then you'll see them change their tune just like how JVG did back when he was fined 100K for calling out the officiating. He later rescinded his remarks. Whores eventually just swallow the load, despite the taste, though they might complain a bit at first. That roll of money sitting on the dresser is the truth for them.

I think to an extent JVG was completely destroyed by bad officiating. You can hear it sometimes in his commentary, much more seldom now than when he first grabbed a mic. He knows the deal now, and like you said - happily accepts a paycheck.

DMC
05-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I think to an extent JVG was completely destroyed by bad officiating. You can hear it sometimes in his commentary, much more seldom now than when he first grabbed a mic. He knows the deal now, and like you said - happily accepts a paycheck.

That's because beneath the facade of competition it's a business where people make hundreds of millions to dribble a basketball. The outcomes of the games in college mean everything to players, but in the pros it's all about making a paycheck. Sacrificing money to win a ring is so rare we know almost everyone who's ever done it. If not for endorsement revenue, there'd probably not be 5 players in the league who gave a shit about being on a competitive team if they are making the max either way. It's just an earlier weekend for them. We as fans care only about the competition, but they play all the time and know it's a business of entertainment, not of competition. Does anyone care who wins the And1 games? No.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Just a shame how nobody calls out the NBA on their BS really

Baseline
05-28-2014, 10:59 PM
The only way the NBA gets nailed for their completely obvious officiating manipulation is through a Congressional investigation. If Stern were still the Commish, I'd be all about it. And the guy would fall hard. He's the one at fault for building the broken system, and manipulating it all those years. It's shameful.

HI-FI
05-28-2014, 11:07 PM

same with politics. people buy into whatever the media tells them,for the most part. those who don't are probably monitored :lol

what's amazing is Donaghy and 3 other refs went to the same high school. so you're telling me with all the refs in this country, they're going to choose from that small of a pool? something don't smell right. most likely all of them were affiliated with gambling to some degree, and the league knew they'd be company men imo.

also, iirc, the Feds lessened Donaghy's sentence because nothing he said proved to be bullshit, at least in their judgment. Gotta hand it to Stern, a master scumbag, he was able to spin a potentially devastating situation into an isolated incident.

Clipper Nation
05-28-2014, 11:21 PM
The lesson, as always, is that crying to the media about the officiating damn near guarantees you get all the calls the next game, tbh.... Klay Thompson did it and got Game 1 of LAC/GSW handed to the Warriors.... Westbrook did it and got Game 5 of LAC/OKC handed to OKC.... Brooks did it and got Game 3 of SAS/OKC handed to OKC, and now Paul George did it and got Game 5 of MIA/IND handed to the Pacers.... Phil used to do that shit all the time, too....

UZER
05-28-2014, 11:27 PM
The funny thing is complaining about officiating is complaining officiating no matter which way you slice it. But, the name on the front of the Jersey determines if it's whining or a smart tactic.

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2014, 12:00 AM
The lesson, as always, is that crying to the media about the officiating damn near guarantees you get all the calls the next game, tbh.... Klay Thompson did it and got Game 1 of LAC/GSW handed to the Warriors.... Westbrook did it and got Game 5 of LAC/OKC handed to OKC.... Brooks did it and got Game 3 of SAS/OKC handed to OKC, and now Paul George did it and got Game 5 of MIA/IND handed to the Pacers.... Phil used to do that shit all the time, too....

Didn't work for doc

Aztecfan03
05-29-2014, 12:04 AM

Except Hochuli. The Charger-Denver game several years back was beyond terrible.

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2014, 12:16 AM

Didn't he admit that he fucked up though?

Thebesteva
05-29-2014, 12:17 AM

I know, I was thinking of that game but didnt expect anyone to remember. It was just a mistake from the ref tbh

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Just more evidence that Kang wins in spite of the refs :worthy:

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Fucking shit, Spurs get Tony ######s to deliver the death blow tonight like he did to the Clippers in their Game 5 after he was hugging up on Durant's monkey ass mother.

Kidd K
05-29-2014, 09:24 AM
It's the same with the Sterling situation. When it first happened, the NBA just swept it under the rug until this latest tif happened. I think the biggest thing that happened with the refs was in 2002 when I think a congressman got involved after the Kings-Lakers series. Either way, NBA doesn't give a shit because the refs are instructed to do what's best for business

lol at the WWE line about doing what's best for business. NBE at it again.

BermudaSooner
05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Wonder where I can pick up a tin foil hat and join you guys. We can also talk about the Kennedy assassination and Area 51 as well.

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Most dominating performance by the refs since 2002 this playoffs. First the Clippers getting Game 5 stolen, then OKC's historic 22-0 quarter, and now a record for Miami too.

UZER
05-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Wonder where I can pick up a tin foil hat and join you guys. We can also talk about the Kennedy assassination and Area 51 as well.

Or the night Durant was drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder.

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Or the night Durant was drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder.

He wasn't drafted by the Thunder. They were still the Sonics back then.

UZER
05-29-2014, 12:38 PM
He wasn't drafted by the Thunder. They were still the Sonics back then.

Yeah...I know. It was a sarcastic joke.

DMC
05-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Didn't work for doc

Chris Paul gave the Thunder the series. That's a fact.

DMC
05-29-2014, 02:04 PM
These days I don't even watch most of the game. If there's a game 7 I'll watch part of that, but like coach Nick said, something's weird about how suddenly one team is playing completely horrible compared to their previous however many games. I can show you some of the video where Tony seemingly intentionally walks away from a pass from Manu that he sees coming and just watches it sail out of bounds. Maybe there's some bickering in the locker room. Maybe Pop kicked the horse one too many times and they are all in "fuck you" mode. Who knows.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Just a shame how nobody calls out the NBA on their BS really

Bill Simmons called out the bullshit, ticky tack fouls that put Lebron in foul trouble in game 5.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-29-2014, 02:13 PM

No kidding. I don't even like Miami but I have the utmost respect for them and for Lebron. They win legitimately and sometimes even in the face of biased reffing against them. OKC by and large is a fraudulent, ref-manufactured team (although to their credit they at least pulled out a game 4 win without too much net ref help).

The thing is once the league calls OKC games fairly, they get blown out by any above average team. I don't understand the point of reffing them through to the finals only to call the finals fairly. OKC without ref help is just strikingly mediocre, and it makes for boring basketball.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-29-2014, 02:17 PM

It's not that they bought it. It's more of "what can we do"

DMC
05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
It's not that they bought it. It's more of "what can we do"

What can you do with the WWE? You realize it's a sham and you stop watching it, but so many people still watch it that it's still going even though everyone knows it's fake. Harlem Globetrotters are still somewhat popular.

koriwhat
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
What can you do with the WWE? You realize it's a sham and you stop watching it, but so many people still watch it that it's still going even though everyone knows it's fake. Harlem Globetrotters are still somewhat popular.

oh man, i took my step brother a few yrs back to a globetrotter's game because i remember it being fun as a kid... oh it's one of the most boring events i have ever been to as an adult! he was bored too.

LkrFan
05-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Should CP0 complain that he never got out of the 2nd round? Should the Clippers complain that they're still The Anus! of LA? :lol

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Should CP0 complain that he never got out of the 2nd round? Should the Clippers complain that they're still The Anus! of LA? :lol

Chazz should probably complain about only getting the 7th pick to work with, and Kirby should definitely complain that he's only getting paid 48.5 instead of 68.5 :downspin:

Bynumite
05-29-2014, 04:08 PM
But... but spurfan led me to believe Silver was gonna clean the NBA from all the corruption Evil Stern spread over the years.

Wat da el guise?????!!??? :cry

LkrFan
05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Chazz should probably complain about only getting the 7th pick to work with, and Kirby should definitely complain that he's only getting paid 48.5 instead of 68.5 :downspin:
22-31 playoff rec:lolrd for Cliff Paul. Pathetic :lmao

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
22-31 playoff rec:lolrd for Cliff Paul. Pathetic :lmao

No arguments there - Choke Paul is almost as pathetic as Kirby without prime Shaq or MVPau to carry him :downspin:

LkrFan
05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
No arguments there - Choke Paul is almost as pathetic as Kirby without prime Shaq or MVPau to carry him*** :downspin:
But both Shaq and MVPau haven't done much without him:

Shaq's one rang is just as significant as the 1999 champs. Due to Stern's disdain for Mark Cuban, D-Whistle made an NBA record 97 freebies in a 6-game Finals in route to carrying Shaq.***

MVPau is a pathetic 0-16 without Kobe including another sweep by the hands of the Spurs. ***

:downspin:

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 04:27 PM
But both Shaq and MVPau haven't done much without him:

Shaq's one rang is just as significant as the 1999 champs. Due to Stern's disdain for Mark Cuban, D-Whistle made an NBA record 97 freebies in a 6-game Finals in route to carrying Shaq.***

MVPau is a pathetic 0-16 without Kobe including another sweep by the hands of the Spurs. ***

:downspin:
Boiled down:::Kirby was shinin' shoesPERIOD without Daddy or MVPau.

DMC
05-29-2014, 06:20 PM
oh man, i took my step brother a few yrs back to a globetrotter's game because i remember it being fun as a kid... oh it's one of the most boring events i have ever been to as an adult! he was bored too.

That's because the GT as we remember them were characters, we knew them by name. These today are just thugs who couldn't make it in the NBA.

koriwhat
05-29-2014, 06:22 PM
That's because the GT as we remember them were characters, we knew them by name. These today are just thugs who couldn't make it in the NBA.

yeah, i was really disappointed because i made it out to be some awesome show for the kid... both of us were so bored and i feel sorry for buying those tickets and dragging his ass to that bs game.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Instead of spending millions to litigate the ownership issue with the NBA, Donald Sterling should just pour his billion dollar clipper investment into starting a new league tbh. That will truly show the NBA what's up and keep them in check - when high caliber skill players will flock somewhere else to fluff their nest.

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Instead of spending millions to litigate the ownership issue with the NBA, Donald Sterling should just pour his billion dollar clipper investment into starting a new league tbh. That will truly show the NBA what's up and keep them in check - when high caliber skill players will flock somewhere else to fluff their nest.
LOL at Sterling running a successful league when he sucked so bad at owning a single franchise :lol

DMC
05-29-2014, 07:51 PM
yeah, i was really disappointed because i made it out to be some awesome show for the kid... both of us were so bored and i feel sorry for buying those tickets and dragging his ass to that bs game.

It's the thought that counts. He'll remember he went to a GT game.

DMC
05-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Black players won't play for him. There's already the D-League and no one watches it, then there's college and everyone watches it, and HS (love HS ball) and then JV and little league, then there's the WNBA at the bottom.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 08:42 PM
LOL at Sterling running a successful league when he sucked so bad at owning a single franchise :lol

It won't be successful, but if he's going to blow all that money away might as well have some fun with it