PDA

View Full Version : Clippers lol Sterling going IN on Shaq...

ElNono
05-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Referring to Yao Ming, a player stated (on a television show): “Tell Yao Ming, ‘ching chong yang wah ah soh.’” And although the statement offended many in the Chinese community, the NBA neither fined nor suspended the player. Last month, that same player—now a former player—was accused of publicly mocking (on Instagram) a picture of a man with ectodermal dysplasia, a rare genetic disorder affecting one’s appearance. Despite being a minority owner of the Sacramento Kings, the NBA has yet to take any action against this individual.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/!sterling/2014-05-27%20Secured%20DTS%20Answer%20to%20NBA%20Charge.pd f

:lol

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Ya, I was a little surprised that Shaq didn't get in trouble for publicly shitting on a disabled kid, tbh:lol..

ElNono
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Also JR Smith :lmao

A player was suspended for seven games for pleading guilty to a reckless driving charge that resulted in the death of a passenger.

RsxPiimp
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Slippery slope

baseline bum
05-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Also JR Smith :lmao

A player was suspended for seven games for pleading guilty to a reckless driving charge that resulted in the death of a passenger.

Damnit, I wanna dig Andre up and bring him with me to a Clippers game

Malik Hairston
05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Ya, so far, this Sterling shit is backfiring on the NBA, from what I've read..

It's just going to draw attention to all the pieces of shit that play/have played in this league, which will just result in more anti-Black backlash from the NBA's White viewers, which is their largest demographic, tbh..

DPG21920
05-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Lot's of valid points. I will be interested from a business perspective where this goes. When you start grandstanding, you better be sure there are no skeletons in your closet. Not only that, I'm not a lawyer, but I am sure if this ever gets to court that "consistency" will be key. This type of punishment does not at all seem consistent.

Katherine Robinson
05-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Sterling tells the truth, congoids in the NBA business are supremely pampered.

DMC
05-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Lot's of valid points. I will be interested from a business perspective where this goes. When you start grandstanding, you better be sure there are no skeletons in your closet. Not only that, I'm not a lawyer, but I am sure if this ever gets to court that "consistency" will be key. This type of punishment does not at all seem consistent.

You don't grandstand against a billionaire lawyer. That's the 1st rule in the book. If he was Chris Anderson, no problem, but Sterling will never run out of money to pay a team of lawyers to put every nail possible into Silver's hands.

DPG21920
05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
How supremely ironic would it be if it's the NAACP awards that ultimately help Sterling?

RsxPiimp
05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
He was also going in on Kobe's fucking faggot remarks and he was also dragging Rich Devos' name in the mud for donating 100k to the national organization of marriage. According to the report, Sterling finds it revealing that Devos was not punished by the league for making donations despite LGBT groups advocating a boycott:lol

Let's just all admit that Silver made a grave mistake flexing his muscle against an egotistical billionaire with a fucked up moral compass

hater
05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
also Danny Granger said all euros smell like shit :lmao

hater
05-28-2014, 05:29 PM
didn't MVParker do some nazi/racist things?

:lol nba

spurraider21
05-28-2014, 05:33 PM
inb4 the NBA agrees and issues 300 lifetime bans on various figures

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 05:36 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to this. Just sit back and watch the fireworks go off. Nothing better than watching a professional sports league get its skeletons pulled out of the closet and into the light.

Pelicans78
05-28-2014, 06:22 PM
If I was Sterling I would do the same thing.

Franklin
05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Didn't know Shaq made fun of them chinks and it now makes me respect him even more tbh.

Thebesteva
05-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Lets be honest, if Sterling said dont bring asians to my game this would at best be a fine. Black people and gay people are the groups not to diss anymore because everyone has picked on them to death...no pun

Franklin
05-28-2014, 06:53 PM
^ that's not the trend anymore because chinks and yids are gradually taking control of this nation. Sterling dude only got suspended because the number of blacks overwhelms other races in NBA, shouldn't limit your sight within the NBA imho. If a cop does a crime hurting or killing a nig in the street, chance is he would get away with the crime; but if he kills or hurts a yid or chink, he is fucked. Yids been owning this country for decades and they're selling some share to them chinks, yids and chinks fucking co-own our asses now tbh.

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Richest dude in L.A. is an Asian(worth 10 bil) Soon-Shiong and he put a bid in to buy the Clippers. Asians doing things the right way,,,let the nigs, cracka's, and spics bump each other off while they silently take over.

RsxPiimp
05-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Lets be honest, if Sterling said dont bring asians to my game this would at best be a fine. Black people and gay people are the groups not to diss anymore because everyone has picked on them to death...no pun

True. A friend of mine got in trouble at work once for insinuating black people loves Fried Chicken.

Venti Quattro
05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Sterling was caught by his bitch (so never trust bitches, that's the lesson here) expressing a personal viewpoint in the comfort of his home. If we can't express our opinions at home, then we are vastly troubled as a society.

DMC
05-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Sterling isn't dealing with legal ramifications stemming from his comments. He's dealing with a business who has the right to do what's in its best interest and distance itself from even the perception of racism. He can show others were racist too and that the league did not act upon it, however I think a court would find that making fun of a racial stereotype is different than saying blacks are inferior to Jews and that you do not want them at your game (which he didn't say, exactly... he said in Israel they are considered inferior and that he didn't want his GF bringing a black guy to the game, specifically Magic Johnson).

I think Sterling will be able to show that the league has a nebulous, subjective policy when it comes to racism, however that will not excuse him from his liability. What he said, even in the comfort of his home, became public knowledge and the NBA has to act in the best interest of its shareholders, so to allow team owners to vote on it is the right thing and I believe will be upheld.

Trill Clinton
05-28-2014, 07:24 PM
sterling is not keeping the team. get over it.

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Asians taking over and soon this country will be China part 2. Communism. Civil rights?(blacks),,,,gone. Privilege?(whites),,,,gone. Illegal immigrants?(brown),,,,gone. Free say,,,gone. Free will,,,,gone. All because people are to stupid on how to handle money in this country and to thin skinned,,,,(steps off soap box)

Spurs9
05-28-2014, 07:38 PM
In b4 Sterling exposes publicly the fixing of NBA games

koriwhat
05-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Sterling isn't dealing with legal ramifications stemming from his comments. He's dealing with a business who has the right to do what's in its best interest and distance itself from even the perception of racism. He can show others were racist too and that the league did not act upon it, however I think a court would find that making fun of a racial stereotype is different than saying blacks are inferior to Jews and that you do not want them at your game (which he didn't say, exactly... he said in Israel they are considered inferior and that he didn't want his GF bringing a black guy to the game, specifically Magic Johnson).

I think Sterling will be able to show that the league has a nebulous, subjective policy when it comes to racism, however that will not excuse him from his liability. What he said, even in the comfort of his home, became public knowledge and the NBA has to act in the best interest of its shareholders, so to allow team owners to vote on it is the right thing and I believe will be upheld.

i wonder if said court/jury would evaluate the fact sterling was with a black woman? hmm... this nation is nothing but pussies and PC wannabes when in their own confides of their homes they are probably more racist than sterling could ever be.

HI-FI
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM

pretty much. I like Sterling. I appreciate the fact he's a billionaire but it is still paying for a B grade whore, I always sympathize with fellow cheapskates.

I think the real issue is the league doesn't like him because he's sitting on a gold mine but is too cheap to really maximize it's potential. Like you said, too many players or business partners refuse to deal with him, plus some even wealthier people want to buy up the Clippers, so I bet the league will find a way to remove him. Hopefully he continues to expose their hypocrisy and bs.

DMC
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
i wonder if said court/jury would evaluate the fact sterling was with a black woman? hmm... this nation is nothing but pussies and PC wannabes when in their own confides of their homes they are probably more racist than sterling could ever be.

No they won't because his beliefs on race won't be the issue. The issue will be whether or not the NBA has a right to protect their image and whether or not he signed a contract giving the NBA the authority to terminate his ownership. You cannot prove what he believes, even the slave owners had black girlfriends, but that's not the issue here. It's merely a legal proceeding to determine whether or not Sterling was in breech of contract or if the NBA can terminate ownership of a franchise. He's been tried in the media and found guilty, however most people have no idea what the real issues are.

koriwhat
05-28-2014, 10:46 PM
i hope he brings this league to its knees and exposes everything wrong with the nba! fuck this bs league!

koriwhat
05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
No they won't because his beliefs on race won't be the issue. The issue will be whether or not the NBA has a right to protect their image and whether or not he signed a contract giving the NBA the authority to terminate his ownership. You cannot prove what he believes, even the slave owners had black girlfriends, but that's not the issue here. It's merely a legal proceeding to determine whether or not Sterling was in breech of contract or if the NBA can terminate ownership of a franchise. He's been tried in the media and found guilty, however most people have no idea what the real issues are.

well then... maybe the nba should be looked at for their views on who should run the nba.... just jews, right?

DMC
05-28-2014, 10:53 PM
well then... maybe the nba should be looked at for their views on who should run the nba.... just jews, right?

You obviously have no idea how corporations work and that the Feds don't decide who runs a corporation however the corporation can discriminate when it comes to a franchise being part of the NBA just as any corporation can decide to not allow your store to be part of its franchise if they so choose.

This aint about what should happen, but what will happen and why. It's all legal, nothing to do with morals or ethics.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-28-2014, 11:00 PM
If anyone took the time to read the report, his argument has serious validity, he countered each charge individually and used the law to back him up and was really critical of Silver overreaching. It was incredibly well written and worth a read and i would think he has an excellent chance to win in a court of law, especially since it was an illegal recording of him with his lover in her living room.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 11:11 PM
If anyone took the time to read the report, his argument has serious validity, he countered each charge individually and used the law to back him up and was really critical of Silver overreaching. It was incredibly well written and worth a read and i would think he has an excellent chance to win in a court of law, especially since it was an illegal recording of him with his lover in her living room.

It's essentially a legal motion, of course it sounds persuading to a layman. That being said though, his points were valid and has procedural due process merits. Adam Silver didn't give Sterling a fair opportunity to be heard - many of Sterling's comments that were being "investigated" was only to the truth of its veracity and not based on an actual meeting to explain the situation at hand. Albeit the league only has to show that they have a legitimate purpose in forcing Sterling to sell the team, the fact that they didn't give Sterling the opportunity to be heard will ultimately be their flaw.

UZER
05-28-2014, 11:12 PM
i hope he brings this league to its knees and exposes everything wrong with the nba! fuck this bs league!

Knowing the way it works...the small market spurs teams championships will be the only ones that were "rigged". They'll have to take the brunt of it to protect all the laker bulls championships as legitimate. :lol

koriwhat
05-28-2014, 11:15 PM
You obviously have no idea how corporations work and that the Feds don't decide who runs a corporation however the corporation can discriminate when it comes to a franchise being part of the NBA just as any corporation can decide to not allow your store to be part of its franchise if they so choose.

This aint about what should happen, but what will happen and why. It's all legal, nothing to do with morals or ethics.

bank bail outs... government owns everything!

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 11:18 PM

I agree that this is a full legal bout between Sterling and the NBA, but if you strip all the Constitutional elements and free speech rights aside (since they don't apply), the true issue here is whether the NBA owns the Clippers organization, or the Clippers own the Clippers organization. Sterling's right in a sense that property cannot be deprived from an individual for their freedom of speech, but if it is ultimately decided that NBA owns the Clippers (which I believe is not the case), then NBA may force sale of the team. I don't think the NBA has any stake in the Clippers organization, but again you dig deeper and see just how much the Clippers have to pay dues to NBA each season, and determine if there is a symbiotic relationship between the two.

Jacob1983
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
If the NBA owns the Clippers then why the fuck is Sterling the owner of the Clippers? I just love how people jizz over the whole "it's a franchise" and Sterling doesn't really own the Clippers shit.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
I see an all out war, you dont fuck with a billionaire lawyer using inadmissible evidence and threaten to force a sale to magic AIDS johnson and expect him to not drag you down with him

scanry
05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Silver went full retard tbh. He should've taken some time and settled this in the offseason like Stern would have. Used heart over his head and got too emotional. It's now backfiring and could get very messy.

DMC
05-28-2014, 11:32 PM

I did read the report. He admits in the report that the contract he signed states he cannot fight their decision in court. If anyone knows contracts is a billionaire lawyer.

Let's put it this way: if he for some reason was allowed to keep his team, the league could vote to contract and shut out the entire team making them worthless.

DMC
05-28-2014, 11:34 PM
bank bail outs... government owns everything!

Ok! but not really!

Franklin
05-28-2014, 11:36 PM

You learned those from your experiences as a "President and CEO"?

DMC
05-28-2014, 11:40 PM
I agree that this is a full legal bout between Sterling and the NBA, but if you strip all the Constitutional elements and free speech rights aside (since they don't apply), the true issue here is whether the NBA owns the Clippers organization, or the Clippers own the Clippers organization. Sterling's right in a sense that property cannot be deprived from an individual for their freedom of speech, but if it is ultimately decided that NBA owns the Clippers (which I believe is not the case), then NBA may force sale of the team. I don't think the NBA has any stake in the Clippers organization, but again you dig deeper and see just how much the Clippers have to pay dues to NBA each season, and determine if there is a symbiotic relationship between the two.

Doesn't the league hold the rights to actually contract and shut out the Clippers if they vote to do so? If so, wouldn't that make them valueless?

DMC
05-28-2014, 11:40 PM
You learned those from your experiences as a "President and CEO"?

Among other things rich people do.

StrengthAndHonor
05-29-2014, 12:44 AM
If the NBA owns the Clippers then why the fuck is Sterling the owner of the Clippers? I just love how people jizz over the whole "it's a franchise" and Sterling doesn't really own the Clippers shit.

Sterling is the controlling owner of the Clippers. He's being charged under the leagues Article 13 as an owner. The league can oust the Clippers "membership", assuming at least 22 board members vote against him. It's tricky, the Sterling trust could lose membership but there are constitutional rights that prevents the Clippers as a franchise itself from losing relationship with the league, but once Sterlings termination is in full effect, Silver would be the de facto owner.

I keep reading that people are looking for a quick resolution but there will be litigation which is a lengthy and exhaustive process in this case at least. The league hasn't even done any major legal proceedings, so they don't have anything to litigate.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Doesn't the league hold the rights to actually contract and shut out the Clippers if they vote to do so? If so, wouldn't that make them valueless?

At the end of the day, it's based off of factual situations. Sterling's obviously going to argue that he owns the team so the league can't take it away form him. But at the same time, there's tons of things that Clippers have to do that are intertwined with the league, like playing in the league, using their logos, the trade names, broadcasting rights, etc. From a legal standpoint, there's no denying that it's pretty much an uphill battle for Donald Sterling at this point.

Nobody except Adam Silver and Sterling / his lawyers are probably scouring through the bylaws right now to see whether Donald actually signed up to relinquish these rights.

There's a lot of creative legal issues that Donald can come up with, it's just a matter if it sticks or not. For example, he can even argue that by signing the bylaws to establish Clippers as a basketball team belonging to the NBA, the contract can be set up to be breached because it's violating 13th amendment constitutional rights for involuntary servitude - forcing someone to do something when they don't have to do it. There's many ways to attack this.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 01:27 AM
On a side note, all the points Sterling's legal motion pointed out is exactly the problem with the NBA and how they control their players. Saying something in their own private home that's recorded, or saying something stupid on Twitter, or any speech is over-broad on the NBA's power. At what point is the NBA infringing on the player and owner's private lives? For example, a player gets a DUI and is fined and suspended for a certain amount of games. A DUI has no bearing on the player's abilities on the court and his actions are not in concert with the NBA, so why does the NBA have the power to control his actions?

Jacob1983
05-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Sterling got upset over his tranny mistress being around black guys and gets banned for life. JR Smith killed someone and is still in the league. If you are caught by the thought or word police, it's basically a death sentence. I just think it's funny that saying something stupid or controversial is worse than killing or raping someone.

AaronY
05-29-2014, 03:23 AM
I don't think there is much validity at all. Just a transparent attempt to get people lost in a maze of moral relativism that will amount to nothing. Dude's dunzos everyone knows this at this point

KaiRMD1
05-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Basically, the ol' sport is taking the NBA down to hell with him. He's a lawyer, he knows what he's doing

eric365
05-29-2014, 04:51 AM
A player was suspended for 82 games (reduced to 68 games by an arbitrator for being too severe) for choking his coach and threatening to kill him.

:wow

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Sterling is going full scorched earth on this one. It's gonna be awesome!

Killakobe81
05-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Great points DMC it will be painted as a victory for blacks but the only color that truly matters is green. NBA was losing money a few angry black players/fans matters little.

weebo
05-29-2014, 08:52 AM
People still don't get it. Sterling is not losing his team for being a racist. Judgement of one's moral compass is for the populace. Sterling is losing his business for compromising a billion dollar industry. Again, it's about money and not race. The NBA could care less if someone got butt hurt for getting called a monkey. They're just trying to protect their brand and keep getting richer.

DMC
05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
On a side note, all the points Sterling's legal motion pointed out is exactly the problem with the NBA and how they control their players. Saying something in their own private home that's recorded, or saying something stupid on Twitter, or any speech is over-broad on the NBA's power. At what point is the NBA infringing on the player and owner's private lives? For example, a player gets a DUI and is fined and suspended for a certain amount of games. A DUI has no bearing on the player's abilities on the court and his actions are not in concert with the NBA, so why does the NBA have the power to control his actions?

These issues exist in many highly visible entertainment industries. It's why someone like Hank Jr was fired from doing NFL promos. What he said in his private life affected his job. They all know that can happen.

When someone gets into legal trouble where you work, you never associate that with work, however if a NBA player is running up and down the court and you know he just got a DUI, you look at it like an NBA player got a DUI, not that this specific person got one. It's reported on sporting news. Your's wouldn't be. These guys sign huge contracts and part of their agreement is to not bring bad publicity to the NBA. When they do anyhow, the only recourse is often a monetary one.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 11:11 AM
These issues exist in many highly visible entertainment industries. It's why someone like Hank Jr was fired from doing NFL promos. What he said in his private life affected his job. They all know that can happen.

When someone gets into legal trouble where you work, you never associate that with work, however if a NBA player is running up and down the court and you know he just got a DUI, you look at it like an NBA player got a DUI, not that this specific person got one. It's reported on sporting news. Your's wouldn't be. These guys sign huge contracts and part of their agreement is to not bring bad publicity to the NBA. When they do anyhow, the only recourse is often a monetary one.

Tell that to OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez, and the like. Like I said before, the NBA is simply overreaching on players private lives. The NFL would've just issued a statement that the NFL doesn't condone their player's actions. The NBA goes far enough to implement fines, when all they had to do is hire a few more PR reps in the front office to say they don't condone the actions. Being the money hungry league as it is (keeping games close for ratings, nosing their way to get a profit off of everything the players do), I wouldn't be surprised though. And nobody calls the league out because you never bite the hand that feeds.

DMC
05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Tell that to OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez, and the like. Like I said before, the NBA is simply overreaching on players private lives. The NFL would've just issued a statement that the NFL doesn't condone their player's actions. The NBA goes far enough to implement fines, when all they had to do is hire a few more PR reps in the front office to say they don't condone the actions. Being the money hungry league as it is (keeping games close for ratings, nosing their way to get a profit off of everything the players do), I wouldn't be surprised though. And nobody calls the league out because you never bite the hand that feeds.

OJ wasn't playing football when he was arrested. Retired players aren't fined by the league. Hernandez is in prison or soon will be, I think.

If the franchises go along with it, they must be OK with the arrangement.