PDA

View Full Version : Spurs missing that nasty/dirty player from past title teams

hitmantb
05-28-2014, 05:13 PM
99 Spurs had Mario Elie

03 Spurs had Bowen in his prime, and Steven Jackson

05 and 07 Spurs added Horry on top of Bowen, Horry literally saved Spurs against Pistons/Suns.

Someone who is going to dance around the edge of every rule in the book to hurt the opponent. Someone who is going to get in the face of Perkins/Adams for their nasty plays on Duncan.

As much as I love Popovich and what he did to take the weakest 1-2 punch of any contender deep into the playoffs, almost winning a ring, I just wish he and the front office got more aggressive players on the roster.

The more aggressive team won every game this series.

siraulo23
05-28-2014, 05:16 PM
spurs are missing their star players

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Baynes can be that guy. Leonard could have a little more fight in him as he gains more of a star status.

hommeaetage
05-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I've been saying it for the longest, no team has ever won a championship by singing kumbaya. There has to be at least one guy who is willing to operate in the gray area of of the rule book and get in opponent's head

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Pop doesn't like arrogant aggresive players,,,,its why we don't have a killer instinct mentality. Pop wants everyone subservient to him.

ginobilized
05-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I wish we had a Kevin Willis type for Ibaka and Perkins.....but, we sure as shit do not

Darius McCrary
05-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Yeah this series has me missing Stephen Jackson.

webshad
05-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Tell me something, what do you think of putting in Matt Bonner to cover Ibaka's outside jumper and in offense if Ibaka covers him he can pull him out to the 3 point line and if Perkin covers Matt, then it is just Ibaka alone in the inside.

kobexxx
05-28-2014, 06:18 PM
develope Belinelli to be one

Budkin
05-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Mario Elie was the ideal "that guy."

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Robert Horry was the ideal guy to me and Bowen as well. When Horry would crush teams heart at the end of games and sent Nash into the scorers table,,,,thats what we have lacked since both those players have left.

UZER
05-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Russell westbrook is an on-the-court first class asshole. I just don't understand how no one has put him on his ass once in this entire series. Instead, players are holding from falling and patting his on the butt while he's swinging his arms to let him go. He's chest pounding, windmill dunking, finger pointing at players laying on the floor....in a 25 point blowout game. He's hacking away with karate chops going for that signature steal breakaway dunk with 1:30 left in the 4th.

Me so Horry wouldn't have stood for that shit.

slick'81
05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Russell westbrook is an on-the-court first class asshole. I just don't understand how no one has put him on his ass once in this entire series. Instead, players are holding from falling and patting his on the butt while he's swinging his arms to let him go. He's chest pounding, windmill dunking, finger pointing at players laying on the floor....in a 25 point blowout game. He's hacking away with karate chops going for that signature steal breakaway dunk with 1:30 left in the 4th.

Bt who on this team will no one not Diaw not splitter not Duncan,maybe baynes but I'm not sure he'll be put in that position.the only time I've seen a spur pissed is when tony got in Blair's face but face it they were friends. this team in particular is a bunch of nice guys

hitmanyr2k
05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Robert Horry was the ideal guy to me and Bowen as well. When Horry would crush teams heart at the end of games and sent Nash into the scorers table,,,,thats what we have lacked since both those players have left.

That league is long gone. The NBA has been white-washed of bruising enforcers. The days of players sending messages with hard fouls are over. Even borderline hard fouls on players are called flagrants these days. The league would rather have the offensive player get the "And 1" and flex for the crowd :lol

DMC
05-28-2014, 07:08 PM
:pop: "Need more nasty"
:pop: Marco, welcome to the team... you're a welcomed addition. We are in desperate need of some 3 point shooters who cannot defend."

:pop: "Play the game harder, play smarter... for 48 minutes!"
:pop: "I'm pulling the plug after 30 minutes"

:pop: "Keep pounding that rock, eventually it will break"
:pop: "Have a seat, Jeff needs some minutes and we're beaten already"

:pop: "I cannot understand you because you have food in your mouth"
:pop: "I speak fluent Russian and understand Tiago and Boris"

UZER
05-28-2014, 07:10 PM
That league is long gone. The NBA has been white-washed of bruising enforcers. The days of players sending messages with hard fouls are over. Even borderline hard fouls on players are called flagrants these days. The league would rather have the offensive player get the "And 1" and flex for the crowd :lol

While i agree with this, hard fouls can be done without being flagrant.

Besides, OKC doesn't give a fuck about those rules.

- Did you see the intentional elbow westbrook dropped on Manus face in game 1 or 2 when he contested the 3 pt shot? He was sending a message to give him his space. Called a regular foul.

- Did you see the intentional follow thru forearm to conjos face on that dunk on Ibaka? It's to make him think twice about driving the next time. Called a regular foul.

- Did you see Adams intentional flying knee to conjos shoulder / neck on the and 1 layup? Called a regular foul.

The spurs aren't matching THAT intensity. Again, pop wants the nasty but doesn't want them to foul. Can't have it both ways.

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Agreed and that's why guys like Noah and Ibaka flourish. They are a glimpse of what it was like just 5-7 years ago. Joesph may have dunked on Ibaka and some Spurs fans got all giddy but watch the play and you see Ibaka knock the hell out of him on the way up.

SupremeGuy
05-28-2014, 07:18 PM
His name is Baynes but Pop is stubborn and doesn't throw him in quick enough to send a "nasty" message. We're too classy, tbh.

Biernutz
05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
His name is Baynes but Pop is stubborn and doesn't throw him in quick enough to send a "nasty" message. We're too classy, tbh.

:tu Byanes is the guy Pop needs to put in the game and say to him "no more layups"

Hoops Czar
05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Jeff Ayres is Mr. Nasty. Too bad he sucks at everything basketball related.

daslicer
05-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Agreed and that's why guys like Noah and Ibaka flourish. They are a glimpse of what it was like just 5-7 years ago. Joesph may have dunked on Ibaka and some Spurs fans got all giddy but watch the play and you see Ibaka knock the hell out of him on the way up.

Ibacka is not a tough guy he is a punk. I remember when Jax nearly made him cry a few years ago during game 1 or 2 of the playoffs when he challenged him to a fight and Ibacka backed off like a bitch. Hell Ibacka couldn't hold is own against Matt Barnes earlier this year when Barnes got up in his face and shoved him. Serge wanted no piece of Artest a few years ago when Artest knocked out Harden; the moment Artest stared down Serge he backed off and waited for the refs to come and then started screaming shit. Bottom line this guy is a bitch made player just there is no one on the spurs to call him out on his fake tough guy act. Perkins is also a bitch I can recall last year when Asik got up in his face and shoved him during the playoffs and was ready to fight him. Perkins immediately backed off knowing this guy could whoop his ass. This is a team filled with punks and I do agree the spurs miss having an enforcer just to set the tone against these guys.

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Mario Elie was the ideal "that guy."

Agreed. If we had prime Elie the last few years, we'd be poised to 3-peat instead of Miami.

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Ibacka is not a tough guy he is a punk. I remember when Jax nearly made him cry a few years ago during game 1 or 2 of the playoffs when he challenged him to a fight and Ibacka backed off like a bitch. Hell Ibacka couldn't hold is own against Matt Barnes earlier this year when Barnes got up in his face and shoved him. Serge wanted no piece of Artest a few years ago when Artest knocked out Harden; the moment Artest stared down Serge he backed off and waited for the refs to come and then started screaming shit. Bottom line this guy is a bitch made player just there is no one on the spurs to call him out on his fake tough guy act. Perkins is also a bitch I can recall last year when Asik got up in his face and shoved him during the playoffs and was ready to fight him. Perkins immediately backed off knowing this guy could whoop his ass. This is a team filled with punks and I do agree the spurs miss having an enforcer just to set the tone against these guys.

So what does that say about our team that he's able to bitch-slap us and change the series?

UZER
05-28-2014, 08:26 PM

Exactly. That's what makes the spurs not matching their fake toughness even more frustrating. I keep calling for a hard foul to call their bluff and end the shenanigans.

BatManu20
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Should be Baynes but he's a gentle giant.. Which is odd considering he's Australian.

cjw
05-28-2014, 08:38 PM

Agree, he's in a class with CP3 and Blake in terms of whining throughout the whole game.

UZER
05-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Agree, he's in a class with CP3 and Blake in terms of whining throughout the whole game.

He doesn't just whine, he berates officials, even on plays where he gets the calls.

On the play where he "stole" the ball while out of bounds , he raced down the court and drew a foul on the drive. He turned around and starts yelling at the official for who knows what. Dude, you just got away with murder and got the call anyway. What the fuck are you yelling at the official for?!? this happens after every call.

Why don't the refs T him up?

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Exactly. That's what makes the spurs not matching their fake toughness even more frustrating. I keep calling for a hard foul to call their bluff and end the shenanigans.

This is all on coaching. They wont do anything if Pop doesn't let them,,,,this is why Pop deserves a lot of blame,,,just like he gets credit when they win,,,,cant have it just one way

Spurs da champs
05-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Ron Artest was avaliable, Spurs opted to go with a d leaguer instead.

UZER
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
This is all on coaching. They wont do anything if Pop doesn't let them,,,,this is why Pop deserves a lot of blame,,,just like he gets credit when they win,,,,cant have it just one way

I've been saying it everywhere...Pop wants some nasty but wants his players not to foul. Can't have it both ways.

daslicer
05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
So what does that say about our team that he's able to bitch-slap us and change the series?

Right and I gave you the answer the spurs have no enforcers to call him out on his chickenshit. Its pretty frustrating to watch. Hell if the Thunder win this series watch Miami punk Serge when they send Haslem and the Birdman into the game to rough him up.

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Right and I gave you the answer the spurs have no enforcers to call him out on his chickenshit. Its pretty frustrating to watch. Hell if the Thunder win this series watch Miami punk Serge when they send Haslem and the Birdman into the game to rough him up.

Its all on the coaching,,,

HemisfairArena
05-28-2014, 08:54 PM
I've been saying it everywhere...Pop wants some nasty but wants his players not to foul. Can't have it both ways.

Bingo,,,

therealtruth
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
:tu Byanes is the guy Pop needs to put in the game and say to him "no more layups"

We need a no layup rule. Stop with the ticky tacky stuff. Knock them on their but if they get in the paint.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 10:09 PM
I honestly just want someone to "accidently" kick Ibaka on the right calf. I'm not wishing injuries, but if the man can dunk on that injured calf, a good ol kick will test whether he's really hurt or just BSing his way through this series.

sexinthatsx
05-28-2014, 10:13 PM
That karate chop steal from Manu while being out of bounds and going for the fast break was one of the most egregious calls I've seen throughout this year's playoffs tbh - a blatant foul followed by being out of bounds... I mean if a ref can't see that they need to fucking resign.

Knoxxx
05-28-2014, 11:38 PM
That karate chop steal from Manu while being out of bounds and going for the fast break was one of the most egregious calls I've seen throughout this year's playoffs tbh - a blatant foul followed by being out of bounds... I mean if a ref can't see that they need to fucking resign.

I missed this, what time of which game?

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 01:03 AM
I missed this, what time of which game?

Game 4, second quarter I believe... it was a play that gave the Thunder a lot of momentum

hater
05-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Bruce Bowen would have bent Durant over already.

Kawhi is so overrated :rolleyes

benfti
05-29-2014, 05:40 AM
If Baynes comes into the game and totally flattens Westbrook on his first drive attempt. Even better if it is with a right hook. It will be the greatest thing to ever happen in the history of the NBA, and his jersey should be retired.

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Game 4, second quarter I believe... it was a play that gave the Thunder a lot of momentum

Really? If they're allowing that bullshit to stand, then there truly is no point in watching the NBA anymore.

DarrinS
05-29-2014, 06:52 AM

Not to nitpick, but that play involved TP, not Manu.

ohmwrecker
05-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Baynes is useless to this team unless he takes out Westbrook.

sexinthatsx
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Not to nitpick, but that play involved TP, not Manu.

Sorry TP.

Strategic
05-29-2014, 11:35 AM
He doesn't just whine, he berates officials, even on plays where he gets the calls.

On the play where he "stole" the ball while out of bounds , he raced down the court and drew a foul on the drive. He turned around and starts yelling at the official for who knows what. Dude, you just got away with murder and got the call anyway. What the fuck are you yelling at the official for?!? this happens after every call.

Why don't the refs T him up?All the while the broadcast team is saying the refs should look the other way when these players act like fools.

gameFACE
05-29-2014, 11:36 AM
The Spurs are nice boys. They're relying on everything methodical and expecting another privileged blow-out win without the extra gear of a Jax, Horry or Elie. Shit especially Elie and Horry - high bball IQ AND chutzpah! For that reason I'm calling on red headed step child Matt Bonner to have a Steve Kerr moment a la Game 6 vs Dallas in '03.

Either that or everyone can just blow in Ibaka, Durant and Westbrook's ear.

Kyl3
05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
If nothing else, can the Spurs at least pull a JR Smith and untie the Thunder players' shoelaces at the freethrow line. Do it time and time again, everytime at the freethrow line. That'll surely get under their skin.
The Spurs players can all pitch in to cover the fine that will soon follow.