PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Fans, Tonight is THE Most Important Game in A Very Long Time

Duncan21MVP
05-29-2014, 12:16 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since George Gervin first caught my eye as an elite player. How I grew to hate the Lakers in the early 80s, as we were only good enough to get the 8th spot in the playoffs, and be summarily bounced in three games by Showtime.

Tonight, no matter if you're a new fan or a long-time fan such as me, we are at a critical juncture on so many levels. On the one hand, we hold our head high as a team with four rings, an unmatched trio of players with playoff success, consistently great regular season records, and the debatable "dynasty' tag. On the other hand, we have last year's gut-wrenching loss to the Heat, the year before that we have the much talked about meltdown against OKC when we were totally rolling on 20 straight wins, before that, it was Manu's foul on Dirk ... heck if you go back far enough, we have Rod Strickland's unexplicable no-look, over-the-head pass when D-Rob was just a pup, or the year that we finally had the best record and Hakeem ruined our Summer of 1995. This team shouldn't need motivation, but we can erase a lot of recent heartache by stringing together some late-May/early-June wins this time around.

Let's stick it to OKC and give 'em a dose of not-so-fast. Then, let's smack the Heat around with the Alamo City having the home court this time. Let's give Timmy One for the Thumb.

If we lay an egg, stand around dribbling and playing slowly and not aggressively, waiting for Westbrook to jump our passes and streak to the rim and scream like a mental retard, the wounds of the last few years will be reopened and our best chance to exorcise these demons will be gone. Another year, more mileage, the "window closing" argument picks up more steam, and legitimately so.

I live and die with this team. I hope that our guys are as impassioned as we are.

TheGoldStandard
05-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Cowards have no heart, they lack the intestinal fortitude that you need to overcome adversity against a team that is athletically better. It's going to take a real leader to step up and get them playing for pride and honor because it's not about competitive spirit or hunger.

soxxx
05-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Keep the faith, this isnt 2012, and even if it was, game 5 we had a chance to win despite playing horribly.

RD2191
05-29-2014, 12:38 PM
:flag:We still lose but whatever.

Perry Mason
05-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Bookmark this message for the future. This may be Pop's last season. Unlike Chris Broussard, I have a real source, very close.

People here don't know me so they will call BS, but my posting history will indicate I'm no nonsense. I understand Pop may take 1-2 years off and end up in the front office.

This is it guys.

szkorhetz
05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Bookmark this message for the future. This may be Pop's last season. Unlike Chris Broussard, I have a real source, very close.

People here don't know me so they will call BS, but my posting history will indicate I'm no nonsense. I understand Pop may take 1-2 years off and end up in the front office.

This is it guys.

May retire but your source is close and real and Pop is basically still the biggest man in the FO.

Blake
05-29-2014, 12:43 PM
So op is saying this game is important.

Huh. I guess I'll watch it.

Blake
05-29-2014, 12:44 PM

This is it guys.

I'm Pop so my source is even closer to me.

spurseye
05-29-2014, 12:45 PM
In the last 25 home games the spurs have won 23. 2 losses were the egg we laid against Mavs in game 2 and Lakers playing our 3rd string last game of season. The 23 wins were mostly blow outs.
I think with the Mavs we simply underestimated them. The Spurs will do no such thing tonight. Of course they may lose a hard fought battle but I like are chances (the numbers back it up too)

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
In the last 25 home games the spurs have won 23. 2 losses were the egg we laid against Mavs in game 2 and Lakers playing our 3rd string last game of season. The 23 wins were mostly blow outs.
I think with the Mavs we simply underestimated them. The Spurs will do no such thing tonight. Of course they may lose a hard fought battle but I like our chances (the numbers back it up too)

23-25 is impressive. We'll see what happens.

Pound the rock
05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Well said, I believe in these guys too! Thunder haven't done nothing special, Spurs got two blowout wins, they got two themselves. .here is the litmus test.

bd_monster
05-29-2014, 01:00 PM
This might be Timmy's last home game. Ever.................... :(

Amuseddaysleeper
05-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Manu looks like he as 0 faith in the Spurs winning today going by the shoot around video :depressed

Ditty
05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm nervous. We got this shit though! Let's do this!

Budkin
05-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Manu looks like he as 0 faith in the Spurs winning today going by the shoot around video :depressed

Manu was the guy who almost won the Game 5 in 2012. He'll be ready. He'll be a warrior. Book it.

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Sounds like Finals Turnobili.

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Manu was the guy who almost won the Game 5 in 2012. He'll be ready. He'll be a warrior. Book it.

Or he'll throw the ball to Durant 8 times tbh.

crc21209
05-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Huge Game 5's with the series tied 2-2 have become the norm for the Spurs the last decade. You are right, this is probably the biggest game since last year's last 2 Finals games. I'm nervous as hell, but I have faith and confidence in these Spurs. Lets do this!

justinandimcool
05-29-2014, 01:28 PM
actually it's game 6 then game 7 tbh.

most important game in a very long time was just game 7 three weeks ago tbh :lol

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Spurs needed to win Game 4 to get this series. Sonics in 7.

FromWayDowntown
05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs played a game 7 of the Finals within the last 12 months; there is no bigger ore more important game than that one.

DMC
05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Believe!

spurseye
05-29-2014, 02:19 PM
I think people are giving okc too much credit based on 2012. A team that included harden. Obviously home court is huge in this series. Do you really expect lamb, sefolosha, Adams, and butler to play the way they did in okc? The "absence" of the role players on the road has been the story of this series thus far. A 2-2 series tie is not so outrageous. Heck spurs have been in this situation against likes of Bonzi wells and Jerome James. To be hear against okc is not a shock.

Budkin
05-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Or he'll throw the ball to Durant 8 times tbh.

On the road, yes. But at home he's never melted down that bad (other than "the foul.")

jon123spurs
05-29-2014, 02:39 PM
In a long time means game 7 vs Dallas right? Cause that one was really important too.

05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Game 7 of the Finals and of the Mavs series(even thought there wanlsnt much doubt) were more important but nonetheless :flag:

mudyez
05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm going to see the Spurs in Germany on Oct. 8th

I'm going to see the NBA champs!

spurseye
05-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Game 5s ties 2-2 in big 3 era:

2014 Dallas: win
2013 Miami: win
2013 GS: win
2012 OKC: loss
2008 New Orleans: loss (road)
2007 Phoenix: win (road)
2006 Sacramento: win
2005 Detroit: win (road)
2005 Seattle: win
2004 Lakers: loss
2003 New Jersey: win (road)
2003 Lakers: win

Believe!

hater
05-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I'll be retarded drunk so I'll probably be celebrating either way :lol

Horry Hipcheck
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Game 5 is the series. Spurs lose, and OKC will run rampant in Game 6 and complete another backdoor sweep. Win, and OKC will run rampant in Game 6 en route to a winner-take-all Game 7 in SA. Tonight is essentially an elimination game.

I think - and more specifically, genuinely hope - that tonight is where these Spurs end the comparisons to 2012. I hope tonight is when they finally beat OKC with Ibaka on the floor for the first time in eight tries and give themselves two chances at booking another trip to the Finals.

Knoxxx
05-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Game 5 is the series. Spurs lose, and OKC will run rampant in Game 6 and complete another backdoor sweep. Win, and OKC will run rampant in Game 6 en route to a winner-take-all Game 7 in SA. Tonight is essentially an elimination game.

I think - and more specifically, genuinely hope - that tonight is where these Spurs end the comparisons to 2012. I hope tonight is when they finally beat OKC with Ibaka on the floor for the first time in eight tries and give themselves two chances at booking another trip to the Finals.

The key here is that our entire strategy on offense will revolve around mitigating the Ibaka factor. Given that, I am very curious to see what Pop dials up. Will it work? Maybe but I know we will see an all out effort tonight from our beloved franchise and from there let the chips fall where they may.

Splits
05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

If they lose game 6 no matter what, how do they have two chances to return to the Finals?

Budkin
05-29-2014, 04:10 PM

This. I have faith.

pgardn
05-29-2014, 04:35 PM
No game 4 and game 3 were the most important.
No it was game 1.

So far game 2 has been the least important...

This forum is a hoot.

Horry Hipcheck
05-29-2014, 04:49 PM
If they lose game 6 no matter what, how do they have two chances to return to the Finals?

Game 6 is still a chance, even if I don't believe they'll win it.

dunkman
05-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Game 5 is critical after being 2:2, most of the times the team that wins game 5 advances.

pgardn
05-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Game 5 is critical after being 2:2, most of the times the team that wins game 5 advances.

Most of the time the team that wins game 1 advances as well.

spurseye
05-29-2014, 05:17 PM

The Bad: "Big 3" Spurs have only won one series when losing a "pivotal" game 5. New Orleans in 2008.
The Good: Spurs "pivotal" game 5 winning percentage in that time is 77% which is awesome considering they have played in 13 of them.

Jimmy Early
05-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Most of the time the team that wins game 1 advances as well.

Every team that wins game 7 advances.

slick'81
05-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Biggest game since game 6 or 7 last year finals if u will .we know what will happen if the spurs lose we've seen it before it's time for the the spurs to show what this team is made of and either prove the nay Sayers wrong or prove that they really can't beat okc at full strength

pgardn
05-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Every team that wins game 7 advances.

Except Miami last year against the Spurs.

The Greek champs refused to play them.

wildchild
05-29-2014, 05:31 PM
We have enough to still win this series. Keep the defensive intensity and play smart. :flag:

dunkman
05-30-2014, 10:46 AM
The Bad: "Big 3" Spurs have only won one series when losing a "pivotal" game 5. New Orleans in 2008.
The Good: Spurs "pivotal" game 5 winning percentage in that time is 77% which is awesome considering they have played in 13 of them.

The Spurs were a different team in 2008. Manu was still able to carry the Spurs in some series, Duncan too and Bowen could shut down and disrupt key opposite players. Today, Parker is an all-nba but has limitations as PG he doesn't make undefensive shots, while Duncan can carry the Spurs but only in some games and Manu can only play well some games. The Spurs rely on efficient offense and structured defense, not sure they would be able to overcome losing a pivotal game. But on the other hand the Spurs were never so consistent. WCF in 2012 (with fair called games, would have made the finals), finals in 2013 (were they lost an already won 'ship) and one game from reaching the finals again in 2014.

It's amazing how Pop was considered a genius of defense until 2008, and is now considered a master of offense too. He has arguably reached Phil's level.