PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Advice

kris
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to move into a new apartment by next week. If anybody has any advice or knowledge of a good deal, I would love to hear any and all suggestions.

Perferrable Specifics:
In Northwest/Medical Center Area
In $470 - $675/month range
Newer buildings
Decent Area

But any insider tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

batman2883
08-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Try getting a locater they find you great deals

SWC Bonfire
08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't let them rope you into signing a long contract. Haggle with them and make them give you the longer-term rate with a shorter term.

ZStomp
08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
EEwwww...medical center area?????

Too crowded! Too Populated! Traffic...oh no!!

ZStomp
08-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Go look in the Monte Vista area! It's a great area and central to the whole city.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
08-12-2005, 03:55 PM
APT REVIEWS (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-San-Antonio.html)

Jekka
08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Go look in the Monte Vista area! It's a great area and central to the whole city.

I second that.

I lived in the Medical Center before moving to Monte Vista. The traffic in the Medical Center is pretty crazy, and most of the apartments there are showing their age in a big way ... my friend has had a good experience with the Fountainhead though, you might want to check that out if you're set on the Med Center.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
EEwwww...medical center area?????

Too crowded! Too Populated! Traffic...oh no!!I would love to have a med-center level of traffic in North Austin (I-10/410 interchange excepted).

ObiwanGinobili
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to move into a new apartment by next week. If anybody has any advice or knowledge of a good deal, I would love to hear any and all suggestions.

Perferrable Specifics:
In Northwest/Medical Center Area
In $470 - $675/month range
Newer buildings
Decent Area

But any insider tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

how many bedrooms??

MannyIsGod
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Mission Ranch near Huebner and Babcock are pretty damn nice, but they run near 600 bucks.

I second the apt locator option. They have all the specials.

SpursWoman
08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I second the apt locator option. They have all the specials.

And aren't they free, too?

Old School Chic
08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Hunters Glen on Datapoint $495.00 a month for a one bedroom.

SWC Bonfire
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Just remember that the apartment locators are paid by the apartment complexes. Some apartment complexes don't use them, and in turn they won't show you these apartments.

ZStomp
08-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I second that.

I lived in the Medical Center before moving to Monte Vista. The traffic in the Medical Center is pretty crazy, and most of the apartments there are showing their age in a big way ... my friend has had a good experience with the Fountainhead though, you might want to check that out if you're set on the Med Center.

Freaken awesome!

I use to live on W Huisache...I will move back to that area. Oh yes, I will.

ObiwanGinobili
08-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Kris- check your PM's.

kris
08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the wealth of information. I am looking for a 1 bedroom. Manny, Mission Ridge is actually pretty high on the depth charts. I was thinking about it last night.

Question: Do Apartment Locators give you better deals than what the Apartments have posted?

Jelly
08-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't let them rope you into signing a long contract. Haggle with them and make them give you the longer-term rate with a shorter term.

That won't work. It isn't like buying a car. You don't have any negotiation room. The apartment industry is governed by extremely strict fair housing rules. Whatever is offered to you is offered to everyone. They can't and won't try to steer you into any particular unit or to any particular lease term, rate etc. Whatever is on offer for that day is all that is on offer. Upper management decides which lease terms to offer. If they decide to only offer 12 month leases, that's the only choice you get. Do not try to haggle for anything. You'll only look foolish. I was an apartment manager for ten years and every once in a while you'd get some idiot in the office trying to get a 'deal' on the rent or deposit or lease term as if they were on some Tijuana bargaining adventure.

Also, best source for apartment shopping is apartmentguide.com.

Jekka
08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the wealth of information. I am looking for a 1 bedroom. Manny, Mission Ridge is actually pretty high on the depth charts. I was thinking about it last night.

Question: Do Apartment Locators give you better deals than what the Apartments have posted?

Many times they do - and the other advantage with that is that sometimes locators can get you specials that have either expired or have yet to be in effect.

kris
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
All these ideas are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much to everyone.

SpursWoman
08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
That won't work. It isn't like buying a car. You don't have any negotiation room. The apartment industry is governed by extremely strict fair housing rules. Whatever is offered to you is offered to everyone. They can't and won't try to steer you into any particular unit or to any particular lease term, rate etc. Whatever is on offer for that day is all that is on offer. Upper management decides which lease terms to offer. If they decide to only offer 12 month leases, that's the only choice you get. Do not try to haggle for anything. You'll only look foolish. I was an apartment manager for ten years and every once in a while you'd get some idiot in the office trying to get a 'deal' on the rent or deposit or lease term as if they were on some Tijuana bargaining adventure.

Also, best source for apartment shopping is apartmentguide.com.

Well, then 2 out of the 3 complexes that I've lived in had very unethical, law-breaking managers...because we got great deals on the 2. The 3rd we didn't even try...

:)

MannyIsGod
08-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Kris, Brad lived there for a year and never had any problems. The management was great to them, and the apartments are pretty nice. They have a decent work out facility and an indoor halfcourt basketball gym where they have great games. I'd live there just for the damn gym myself. :lol

Jekka
08-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Freaken awesome!

Dude, I love this area - it's so much prettier than most other parts of town, and you're close to all the major freeways, downtown, etc.

SWC Bonfire
08-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Do not try to haggle for anything. You'll only look foolish.

:wtf I guess I looked foolish when I got a 6 mo lease at the 12 mo rate once, then re-upped another 6 mo. for even less money.

I don't believe it was unethical, just capitalism at work. You must have run some very swanky apartments that were in high demand.

EDIT: Granted, this was not in SA.

ObiwanGinobili
08-12-2005, 04:42 PM

no. you get the same deals thru them that the apartments are currently offering.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh, and avoid anything on Cinnamon Creek. That road is the worst part of that area.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
You can try PMing Gatita, as well. She has all the info on the low crime areas in town. :lmao

ObiwanGinobili
08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Well, then 2 out of the 3 complexes that I've lived in had very unethical, law-breaking managers...because we got great deals on the 2. The 3rd we didn't even try...

:tu
I agree. I've negotiated everywhere I've lived, including where I'm at right now. it worked.
whats the worse they can say? no? big whoop.

ZStomp
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Dude, I love this area - it's so much prettier than most other parts of town, and you're close to all the major freeways, downtown, etc.

Exactly.

It's central to the city...the major freeways..its awesome. I'll move back in the area i think.

kris
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Wow you can learn a lot from the Club. I came here with nothing and now I have 5 million leads. Jelly do you have any other advice as a former element of the apartment brass?

Jelly
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Oh, you can get great deals no doubt, especially in a soft market like San Antonio. Things like first month free...no deposit...redec fee waived... no short term lease premium and all sorts of things. But these things are decided by upper management and they are presented to everyone during the time they are offered. But, I suppose a clever leasing agent can make it seem like you're "in luck" and that she's willing to make YOU a deal, but she should be careful because if not phrased correctly she could be violating fair housing laws.
I'm not saying there aren't some people breaking laws out there, but I worked for four companies (at 12 different properties) in San Antonio alone, and we never practiced any type of negotiation/haggling.

Jelly
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow you can learn a lot from the Club. I came here with nothing and now I have 5 million leads. Jelly do you have any other advice as a former element of the apartment brass?

Insiders secret. You can usually get some good deals between the 11th and 15th. This is because the major management companies close their books between the 15th and 20th. The managers want to close with the best picture as possible and so may drop the rent or lower deposits/fees in order to move apartments. Also, you can usually get better deals late in the week rather than early. Managers turn in weekly boxscores that their corporate offices review on Monday morning and they don't want to send in a report that has a lot of unleased apartments on it.

That's all I can think of for now. Will post again if something else occurs to me.

HB22inSA
08-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Move to the Southside.

Salem Creek on South Flores is awesome. I just moved in 2 weeks ago.

2 Bedroom, 1 Bath for $675.00.

I Love the southside!!

ZStomp
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Move to the Southside.

Salem Creek on South Flores is awesome. I just moved in 2 weeks ago.

2 Bedroom, 1 Bath for $675.00.

I Love the southside!!

I know that place!!

I got a 2 bedroom, 2 full bath w/ garage for $650 in the northside. :smokin

Faccia di Angelo
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Freaken awesome!

move back over here already!!!!
You live too far away :(

cherylsteele
08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Don't go to BroadView....trust me.

HB22inSA
08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I got a 2 bedroom, 2 full bath w/ garage for $650 in the northside.
Damn!! That's a great deal.

Even if I found something cheaper, I wouldn't move.

Did I mention that I Love the southside!!!!??