PDA

View Full Version : Possible Line-up changes

Andthentherewas21
05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Which do you guys think would be more effective, inserting Diaw into the starting line-up to replace Splitter or the Spurs going with a 3-guard line-up (TP, Joseph/Mills, Green, Leonard, Duncan)?

With Diaw, the hope is to bring Ibaka out so he can't roam on defense, but it is dependent on Diaw hitting perimeter shots or successfully posting-up Ibaka. The 3 guard line-up would be similar with Leonard drawing Ibaka out. Leonard has a better chance of beating Ibaka off the dribble if they go big, or if OKC goes small it would allow Duncan to post-up Ibaka or give Leonard room to work in posting-up Durant. With Reggie Jackson's sprained ankle and Cojo's play in the last time games (even if it was during garbage time) the Spurs have an advantage in wing depth, but OKC has traditionally been a great small-ball team.

TDomination
05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Small ball with get okc 100 offensive rebounds.

I'd rather go with diaw or Bonner at the 4

crc21209
05-29-2014, 03:13 PM
A 3 guard lineup? No. The only switch I could see Pop going with would be to start Diaw. I'm not sure starting Manu would be such a good idea because that puts Green on the bench, and we need he and Kawhi's defense to start games. Plus having Manu coming off the bench with Splitter is a pretty good combo..

Baam
05-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Small ball with get okc 100 offensive rebounds.

I'd rather go with diaw or Bonner at the 4

Boris is a worse rebounder than Kawhi, I think we'd be fine if we go small...

Spur|n|Austin
05-29-2014, 03:22 PM
A 3 guard lineup? No. The only switch I could see Pop going with would be to start Diaw. I'm not sure starting Manu would be such a good idea because that puts Green on the bench, and we need he and Kawhi's defense to start games. Plus having Manu coming off the bench with Splitter is a pretty good combo..

Hopefully that's the only starting lineup change, I also wouldn't mind more minutes given to CJ in lieu of Marco.

Seventyniner
05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
With 3 guards, who defends Durant? You're going to put a guard on Perkins or Ibaka?

Parker/Green/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan is my guess, with (hopefully) a heavy dose of the Manu/Splitter PnR off the bench.

Baam
05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
With 3 guards you put Kawhi on Ibaka and Green on Durant... Ibaka doesn't post up so Kawhi would be fine.

Spurs4#5
05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
I think the logical move would to but Bonner in and have diaw still coming off the bench along with splitter

jermaine
05-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Did the Spurs come out an say they were changing or something? I'd love to see my "White brotha from anotha mother"

Baam
05-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Did the Spurs come out an say they were changing or something? I'd love to see my "White brotha from anotha mother"

Boris said he wasnt starting and Manu said he wasnt allowed to answer the question...

jermaine
05-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Matt Bonner in case you'll dont know

jermaine
05-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Matt Bonner the "Serge affect killa"

Baam
05-29-2014, 03:45 PM
:lol

Bonbon coming off the bench would be good enough imo.

Seventyniner
05-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Boris said he wasnt starting and Manu said he wasnt allowed to answer the question...

The Spurs have re-signed Stephen Jackson and he'll be guarding Ibaka...with his fists.

look_at_g_shred
05-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Please don't start Manu...

Jimcs50
05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Please don't start Manu...

Need Manu off bench

I like starting Diaw, and bringing CJ off bench with Manu

Knoxxx
05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
The problems I see:

1) Leonard is not a high percentage 3 PT shooter
2) Diaw is not a high percentage 3 PT shooter.

Also how do we force Ibaka to guard anyone other than Duncan or Splitter? The only way I see to do that is by benching them both.

Looks like going small with Bonner at center is our only hope!

While I like Diaw ok in this series given the alternatives, if our entire strategy is based on him hitting outside shots seems we are screwed.

jermaine
05-29-2014, 04:20 PM
The problems I see:

1) Leonard is not a high percentage 3 PT shooter
2) Diaw is not a high percentage 3 PT shooter.

Also how do we force Ibaka to guard anyone other than Duncan or Splitter? The only way I see to do that is by benching them both.

Looks like going small with Bonner at center is our only hope!

While I like Diaw ok in this series given the alternatives, if our entire strategy is based on him hitting outside shots seems we are screwed.
I like your thinking son! +1

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-29-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm hearing Diaw and/or Ginobili will start tonight. Reliable sources. Pop being very secretive about his game plan

bklynspursfan
05-29-2014, 04:36 PM
I think it was game 5 Pop started Manu in 2012 and Manu scored 34 points in 38 minutes. (started along side Duncan/Parker/Leonard/Diaw) That's obviously no indication on this year, but he has looked good this series, and could be an x-factor to get us off to a better start, rather than try and dig us out a hole. I guess we'll see what happens tonight.

Play your top guns as many minutes, and your bench sparingly. That's why they play limited during the regular season. I would like to see that lineup again personally.

crc21209
05-29-2014, 04:39 PM
I think it was game 5 Pop started Manu in 2012 and Manu scored 34 points in 38 minutes. (started along side Duncan/Parker/Leonard/Diaw) That's obviously no indication on this year, but he has looked good this series, and could be an x-factor to get us off to a better start, rather than try and dig us out a hole. I guess we'll see what happens tonight.

Play your top guns as many minutes, and your bench sparingly. That's why they play limited during the regular season. I would like to see that lineup again personally.

That lineup is fine and well for Manu, but that puts one of our best perimeter defenders on the bench in Green. We need Green to check Westbrook, because if Parker guards him he's gonna waste alot of energy on the defensive end..

bklynspursfan
05-29-2014, 04:45 PM
That lineup is fine and well for Manu, but that puts one of our best perimeter defenders on the bench in Green. We need Green to check Westbrook, because if Parker guards him he's gonna waste alot of energy on the defensive end..

You know, I feel like Manu has done a decent job getting in WB's head in the time he has guarded him. They could even put Manu on Durant and keep Leonard on WB. Durant shoots far more jump shots than he does drive, so it's probably easier on Manu. Parker can stay on Jackson, especially while Jackson is supposedly playing on a bumb ankle. I would be worried about Green's confidence level however.

I guess for that, they could technically start very small with Diaw on the bench replaced by Green, have a guard defend Perkins and leave Timmy on Ibaka.

Andthentherewas21
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM

I wouldn't bench Green, but move him onto Durant. Kawhi's length doesn't both him as much as guys like Lebron because Durant is is taller and has length. What has bothered him is smaller guys who can push him off his spots and get into him (Tony Allen, CP3 for game whatever it was the Thunder choked away). I wouldn't start Manu either, but use Cojo to guard either Westbrook or Reggie Jackson, then you can have Splitter and Manu in the 2nd unit.

cjw
05-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Boris is a worse rebounder than Kawhi, I think we'd be fine if we go small...

That's not the argument. Kawhi is starting either way. Diaw's at least a slightly better rebounder than Manu.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-29-2014, 05:21 PM
That's not the argument. Kawhi is starting either way. Diaw's at least a slightly better rebounder than Manu.

I don't agree. Diaw is a terrible rebounder.

TheGreatYacht
05-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Idgaf what y'all say... Fuck Cory Joseph starting. Danny Green is our hottest player at home and he's our best hope at controlling KD

slick'81
05-29-2014, 05:35 PM
When pop panics he usually starts Gino but Diaw would be fine with me

cjw
05-29-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't agree. Diaw is a terrible rebounder.

9.3 rebound rate vs. 7.3 for Manu, though Diaw's is AWFUL for his position as guarding 2's and 3's doesn't put Manu in as good rebounding position as Diaw. On second thought, probably comparable.

therealtruth
05-29-2014, 06:13 PM
You know, I feel like Manu has done a decent job getting in WB's head in the time he has guarded him. They could even put Manu on Durant and keep Leonard on WB. Durant shoots far more jump shots than he does drive, so it's probably easier on Manu. Parker can stay on Jackson, especially while Jackson is supposedly playing on a bumb ankle. I would be worried about Green's confidence level however.

I guess for that, they could technically start very small with Diaw on the bench replaced by Green, have a guard defend Perkins and leave Timmy on Ibaka.

I don't know what your talking about. Manu can't stay in front of Westbrook and keeps fouling him.

Chinook
05-29-2014, 06:24 PM
If Pop seriously benches Green for Ginobili, I'll be convinced that he's pretty much lucked into these last three years of prosperity. He messed up doing that two years ago. Making the same mistake again would be unforgivable, especially given Green's offensive success early in the series.

Baam
05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah that would be pretty bad Im convinced Splitter is the one losing his spot...

Chinook
05-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Probably. Bonner actually played well last game. He may well get a look later in the game. But Diaw should probably start.

slick'81
05-29-2014, 06:38 PM
If you go by play yes splitter would be obvious but we never know with CIA pop lol

DarrinS
05-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Idgaf what y'all say... Fuck Cory Joseph starting. Danny Green is our hottest player at home and he's our best hope at controlling KD

Your first intelligent post. Congrats

Baam
05-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I dont really want my boy Boris taking too many 3s, so Im hoping it's a guard myself...

Seventyniner
05-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Probably. Bonner actually played well last game. He may well get a look later in the game. But Diaw should probably start.

Do you think we'll actually see a four-big rotation, with the Duncan/Diaw and Splitter/Bonner pairings predominating? It looks good on paper if you can hide Bonner on Perkins.

bklynspursfan
05-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't know what your talking about. Manu can't stay in front of Westbrook and keeps fouling him.

I said he's done a decent job of getting in his head. Meaning WB has gotten frustrated and started doing WB things. A frustrated/out of control WB is the one we want.

Chinook
05-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Do you think we'll actually see a four-big rotation, with the Duncan/Diaw and Splitter/Bonner pairings predominating? It looks good on paper if you can hide Bonner on Perkins.

I don't think the Thunder want Ibaka on Duncan, so they may well play big most of the game. Bonner is still an elite shooter and can force OKC to get out of the paint. The combination of those two things should really help the Spurs score and hurt OKC's offense.

Russ
05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't we know by now Pop changed the starting lineup?

DesignatedT
05-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Bonner hit a three last game but his shooting has been pretty inconsistent all year. He'd just be out there shooting up bricks. Rather Diaw just shoot the three every time. I'm confident Diaw can hit em at a consistent rate if he just went out and shot them with confidence

ducks
05-29-2014, 06:55 PM

crc21209
05-29-2014, 07:07 PM
The change is either gonna be Diaw and Manu or just Diaw most likely..

timtonymanu
05-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Diaw replacing Splitter is the only move that makes sense.

crc21209
05-29-2014, 07:23 PM

Yup...

Russ
05-29-2014, 07:26 PM

Yes, but is that the only move?

emanueldavidginobili
05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Its going to be Diaw for Splitter imo, then Manu and Splitter coming off the bench I like that

TheGreatYacht
05-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Your first intelligent post. Congrats
Smd, tbh.