PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Ballmer to purchase the Clippers for $2 Billion

StrengthAndHonor
05-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Steve Ballmer has won a bidding war to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne reports that Ballmer and the Sterling family trust signed a binding agreement on the sale and that it will go straight to the NBA for final approval.

Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to three individuals familiar with the negotiations.

One of the individuals with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.
The tentative deal must also receive the blessing of Donald Sterling, followed by an approve from the 29 other owners.

:wow

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Actually, sounds like it doesn't need Donald's blessing after all:

Spurs9
05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Sterling is a genius tbh, ended up banking billions with the tape.

Thebesteva
05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Sterling is a genius tbh, ended up banking billions with the tape.

Nah man, its probably the worst thing that ever happened to him. Even over his son's death. At the end of a mans life, especially a man of his stature, legacy is everything. To be the first shunned owner in NBA history and to go out like that is a failure as a human being. You gotta remember, the guy is used to being filthy rich at this point. Though, his life experiences arestill better than 99.9999999999999999999999999% of people in this world.

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 09:33 PM
You gotta realize though, DTS is completely oblivious and/or just doesn't care what people think of him, so I doubt he considers getting shunned out of the NBA to be "the worst thing that ever happened to him"....

spurraider21
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
wtf is a guy his age gna do with that money though. its a big win for his heirs. tbh i wouldn't be surprised if he tried to donate a chunk of it to minority pograms to save face

DMC
05-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Kept the team out of the hands of the chimps, that's all the Jews wanted. It was collusion.

Clipper Nation
05-29-2014, 10:13 PM

:lol Old faggot Donald getting thoroughly owned

scanry
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Shelly played this out perfectly. I hope they donate a part of it to the Gates foundation rather than to the blacks. It'll be put to a better use in Gates and Buffett's hands.

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2014, 11:06 PM
lol magic and his crew, what u going to do now? continue t o spin shit?

baseline bum
05-29-2014, 11:27 PM

:lol Old faggot Donald getting thoroughly owned

Fuck, this is going to be hilarious seeing this tied up in the court system for years. :lol

DMC
05-29-2014, 11:30 PM
This just drove the Lakers' value up to 4 billion. Buss seriously eyeballing this deal.

monosylab1k
05-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Seattle getting a team again :cry

AchillesHeel
05-30-2014, 01:15 AM
No one's stupid enough to move a team away from LA..

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2014, 01:22 AM
sterling willl minimize his capital gains tax by streamline the sale proceeds through his family trust, i wonder how many clowns are on that list

Biernutz
05-30-2014, 01:22 AM
I can't believe that the NBA will blow it's chance to have a minority owner in a major market...

Findog
05-30-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm sure a condition of the sale agreement is that he doesn't move the team to Seattle. That and they're locked into their Staples Center lease for quite awhile. The team isn't worth $2 billion in the Pacific Northwest. Hell, it's not worth $2 billion in Los Angeles, but there's only 30 teams and many more billionaires than that who want into the club.

Being under competent management for a change while Fredo Buss runs the Lakers, the Clippers could absolutely carve out a niche for themselves in that market just like the Angels did. There's enough interest to support two NBA teams, especially since there's no NFL in LA.

Killakobe81
05-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Though a case can be made, did not realize the Clips despite their great location are not profitable. The Clips are the only team to get a zero cut deal on luxury suite money from their own "home stadium" deal. AEG iirc is raping Sterling and have little incentive to change it since there are no other viable locations downtown and the city would build a nfl stadium first. Even with a new national tv deal and local one on the horizon ballmer won't turn a profit and will have to fight Angels, Ducks for top of the secon tier LA status behind Lakers Dodgers and Kings. Besides cache don't get why someof you claim the team will not be moved. Ballmer himself said Seattle is an option but in the short-term he plans to stay.Yes he can afford to overpay and doesn't need a profit. But how many rich people drop 2 billion and would aceept the above? I hope they stay but Seattle makes sense.

Findog
05-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Though a case can be made, did not realize the Clips despite their great location are not profitable. The Clips are the only team to get a zero cut deal on luxury suite money from their own "home stadium" deal. AEG iirc is raping Sterling and have little incentive to change it since there are no other viable locations downtown and the city would build a nfl stadium first. Even with a new national tv deal and local one on the horizon ballmer won't turn a profit and will have to fight Angels, Ducks for top of the secon tier LA status behind Lakers Dodgers and Kings. Besides cache don't get why someof you claim the team will not be moved. Ballmer himself said Seattle is an option but in the short-term he plans to stay.Yes he can afford to overpay and doesn't need a profit. But how many rich people drop 2 billion and would aceept the above? I hope they stay but Seattle makes sense.

It will be interesting if he starts to complain about their Staples Center setup. The Clippers were valued at around $600 million and he just paid 3x that, but the purchase price is only 1/10 of his net worth. For $2 billion, he can return basketball to the Emerald City and be a hero.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2014, 06:47 AM
It will be interesting if he starts to complain about their Staples Center setup. The Clippers were valued at around $600 million and he just paid 3x that, but the purchase price is only 1/10 of his net worth. For $2 billion, he can return basketball to the Emerald City and be a hero.

were the clippers even making a profit to even justify the ROI? how many years would it take to recoup the investment?

Findog
05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
were the clippers even making a profit to even justify the ROI? how many years would it take to recoup the investment?

He doesn't care if he never turns a profit. This purchase was 10 percent of his net worth.

Franklin
05-30-2014, 07:01 AM
the social influence caused by the purchase will well compensate for the 2x extra money he paid, just like Fin said. It's like Madrid buying Bale for more than 1 billion. No way is anyone worth 1 billion but Madrid by doing so reestablished its giant figure and the investment delivered (the CL championship)

UZER
05-30-2014, 08:58 AM
This is hush money for sterling. Somewhere in the contract it will state he will be sued up the ass if he talks about any nba hypocrisy after the sale.

The nba is in cahoots with the massively over priced offer. No other explanation.

pgardn
05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
2 billion...

A gift to LA (NBA) and entertainment for Ballmer.
Ballmer feels guilty for screwing consumers at Microsoft. Btw, when is Windows XX due out...

Findog
05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
This is hush money for sterling. Somewhere in the contract it will state he will be sued up the ass if he talks about any nba hypocrisy after the sale.

The nba is in cahoots with the massively over priced offer. No other explanation.

Yup, they're paying the Sterlings off to go away in order to avoid years of expensive litigation and the franchise remaining in limbo.

UZER
05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Yup, they're paying the Sterlings off to go away in order to avoid years of expensive litigation and the franchise remaining in limbo.

And rushing it through to avoid the owners vote, which would be made public.

Spurs9
05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo13JCeIYAEFSG2.png

Findog
05-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Is anybody else weirded out by a guy losing his team and being subjected to the digital pitchfork mob for stuff he said in private?

Let's see what is on everybody else's smartphone and email. If some of the shit me and my friends text each other was ever made public, we'd be taken to Huntsville in Hannibal masks and shackles.

ambchang
05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Rewarding sterling for making racist comments.

Americans are so stupid.

UZER
05-30-2014, 09:33 AM

Americans are so stupid.

The nba was forced to because of their skeletons in the closet that sterling was gonna drag into the open.

KobeOwnsDuncan
05-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Is anybody else weirded out by a guy losing his team and being subjected to the digital pitchfork mob for stuff he said in private?

Let's see what is on everybody else's smartphone and email. If some of the shit me and my friends text each other was ever made public, we'd be taken to Huntsville in Hannibal masks and shackles.
The NBA has been waiting to nail Sterling for a long time. Even with his other dealings with his businesses, slumlord etc, I don't know why the NBA waited so long, and this was all it took to ban him. I hope it is long and messy.

Venti Quattro
05-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Americans are so stupid.
Certainly not as stupid as you are

Venti Quattro
05-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Findog, if the race armchair activists found out about this forum, they're gonna explode in anger while feigning anger and disgust in their respective armchairs.

Sterling ain't got shit compared to the racism that happens in SpursTalk. It's just magnified because of his stature and the size of his pocket.

ambchang
05-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Certainly not as stupid as you are

How so? Care to tell me how Ibaka made all the difference again?

:lol 28 point loss
:lol Home games don't matter.

ambchang
05-30-2014, 09:40 AM
The nba was forced to because of their skeletons in the closet that sterling was gonna drag into the open.

Shouldn't have been poking at that hornet's nest.

Should have listened to Cuban.

UZER
05-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Shouldn't have been poking at that hornet's nest.

Should have listened to Cuban.

Agree 100%. Cuban was the only owner, publicly at least, that was a voice of reason.

buttsR4rebounding
05-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Actually, sounds like it doesn't need Donald's blessing after all:

Sterling was declared mentally incapacitated under the terms of the trust. So the team can be sold without his consent because he is mentally incapacitated. That means that this whole thing started because of the words of a mentally incapacitated man are being held against him. And for the owners to say that it is well known that he has been racist for years then they are huge hypocrites. Because if they knew for years and did nothing then the offense is not being racist, but being caught being racist in public.

JoeTait75
05-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Yes.

monosylab1k
05-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Didn't you just contradict your own argument?

The Gemini Method
05-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Weirded out? Perhaps. However, it isn't surprising that something like this has happened. Not by a long shot and if you are, then you really haven't been paying attention. The NBA got its out card for Sterling. The dude was deplorable and if you had lived in the SoCal market, you would've known that from beginning to the end. If you're going to cost the NBA sponsorship in the 2nd largest market, then you will eventually get shown the door. You reap what you sow and the next rhetoric should be let's move on from this and crown a champion.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:13 AM
This is some serious mafioso type stuff. Have the man declared "mentally incapacitated", come in with what appears to be a completely ridiculous offer...Too many things adding up to not be skeptical that there are a lot of strings being pulled here, of questionable legality.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Weirded out? Perhaps. However, it isn't surprising that something like this has happened. Not by a long shot and if you are, then you really haven't been paying attention. The NBA got its out card for Sterling. The dude was deplorable and if you had lived in the SoCal market, you would've known that from beginning to the end. If you're going to cost the NBA sponsorship in the 2nd largest market, then you will eventually get shown the door. You reap what you sow and the next rhetoric should be let's move on from this and crown a champion.

This argument somewhat collapses on itself when you factor in that all the sponsors knew Sterling and how he was before this and still had no problems getting into bed with him. Top flight talents (CP3/Blake..) had no problems signing there and top flight coaches (so they say) in Doc had no problem taking the job. Really a stretch IMO, to say he cost the NBA anything major at this point.

monosylab1k
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
:lol so if i privately record my racist thoughts, those recordings are discovered and given to my boss, and I get fired over it.....that somehow is society's fault?

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
:lol so if i privately record my racist thoughts, those recordings are discovered and given to my boss, and I get fired over it.....that somehow is society's fault?

It's society's fault if your boss hired you despite a massive documented track record (both legally and anecdotally) for the same offense then used an illegally recorded conversation in order to fire you for that offense. While at the same time ignoring other similar offenses by coworkers and not giving them punishment any where near the level of what you received.

The Gemini Method
05-30-2014, 11:20 AM
This argument somewhat collapses on itself when you factor in that all the sponsors knew Sterling and how he was before this and still had no problems getting into bed with him. Top flight talents (CP3/Blake..) had no problems signing there and top flight coaches (so they say) in Doc had no problem taking the job. Really a stretch IMO, to say he cost the NBA anything major at this point.

You have a valid point--it hasn't cost the NBA much in the way of visible losses. Yeah they knew who he was to begin with and chose to still sponsor the Clippers and the NBA as a whole. However, in this world of wait and react, it shouldn't be that much of a surprise that they'd pull their sponsorship to protect their own constituency. What better way to show some solidarity (genuine or not) with something like racial equality than to 'distance' yourself from the source when the situation is front and center. In the long run, it might've cost the league more with the legal battle and may still end up doing so. This whole scenario is wacky though and it'll be interesting to see what Ballmer ends up doing.

monosylab1k
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
It's society's fault if your boss hired you despite a massive documented track record (both legally and anecdotally) for the same offense then used an illegally recorded conversation in order to fire you for that offense. While at the same time ignoring other similar offenses by coworkers and not giving them punishment any where near the level of what you received.

lol so in other words it's okay for Donald Sterling to pull from the "7 year old boy" bag of tricks and complain that "everybody else is saying bad stuff, why can't I? It's not fair!"

Whether the NBA are hypocrites or not isn't the point. We knew they were well before this. The fact that anybody thinks Donald Sterling is getting screwed here, or getting anything other than exactly what he deserves, is just stupid.

The Gemini Method
05-30-2014, 11:22 AM

I don't believe that if you have an outside source recording that it is private.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:46 AM
lol so in other words it's okay for Donald Sterling to pull from the "7 year old boy" bag of tricks and complain that "everybody else is saying bad stuff, why can't I? It's not fair!"

Whether the NBA are hypocrites or not isn't the point. We knew they were well before this. The fact that anybody thinks Donald Sterling is getting screwed here, or getting anything other than exactly what he deserves, is just stupid.

You are discussing morally (which I agree with) vs legally or logically (which I don't agree with). If I as your boss knowingly get into bed with you knowing about the same issues/your views on the subject, then use an illegally recorded conversation that was held in your private residence to oust you when I have never done so for anyone else doing things that are morally wrong, that doesn't sit well with me.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:49 AM
The result is correct. Everything else is not IMO. You may not agree, but I am sure if it were you, you would be singing a much different tune. If everyone at your office did certain things that were considered wrong and your boss got a hold of a convo your wife illegally recorded in the privacy of your home and you were fired for that, I am sure you wouldn't just say "Hey, I deserved it".

ElNono
05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
follow the money... that's all this is about...

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 11:57 AM
follow the money... that's all this is about...

Exactly, even though that argument is dubious at this point with the points I raised above. Morally, the NBA got it right and he should not be an owner. But the entire process was about as un-American and shady as you can get and that part doesn't sit well with me.

The best thing I can equate it to (and it's no where near the gravity of this situation) is sports and replay. It would be like NBA refs having a very defined rule and during the course of a game, while looking at a reviewed play, they notice a foul before the call being reviewed (which the foul is not reviewable) and instead of ruling on the part that is reviewable and the call made, they go back and supersede the rules because it's the right thing to do.

jimbo
05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
I hope Sterling uses his billions to become a super villain tbh. Funding African civil wars and blaming it on Magic sleeping around :lol.

Findog
05-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Oh I don't blame the NBA for wanting Sterling out. I think they tried to wait him out instead of proactively dealing with this when the housing suit stuff came down. I just think this sets a bad precedent the way this went down. They should have made a move after the racial discrimination suit. I know on some level this was a lifetime achievement award for being such a shit, but I don't want to live in a world where we must appease the digital mob for violations of groupthink.

ChumpDumper
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Great. Now Seattle has 10 years to build a new arena.

ElNono
05-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Exactly, even though that argument is dubious at this point with the points I raised above. Morally, the NBA got it right and he should not be an owner. But the entire process was about as un-American and shady as you can get and that part doesn't sit well with me.

The best thing I can equate it to (and it's no where near the gravity of this situation) is sports and replay. It would be like NBA refs having a very defined rule and during the course of a game, while looking at a reviewed play, they notice a foul before the call being reviewed (which the foul is not reviewable) and instead of ruling on the part that is reviewable and the call made, they go back and supersede the rules because it's the right thing to do.

I agree with your overall view, but bullying/bribing your way to the jackpot is very, very contemporary 'Murica... We went from buying and owning things to licensing/renting things (ie: the IP world). Went from justice to "if you want this, you gotta agree not to sue and we'll pick the arbitrator" (ie: cell phone contracts). This is a rentier world now, formed basically of little clubs that force you to waive your rights if you want to be part of them. It's a larger topic than just this instance, and it certainly does't sit well with me either.

Killakobe81
05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't think he should lose his team with no compensation, however it's silly to overpay for Clips ...Sterling had them in a shitty deal. No suite money, Weakerr on court "spotlights" and stadium lighting, smaller lockerrooms...What a fucking genius ...but he has two billion reasons to be happy.
And even if sponsors, Doc, Silver owners etc knew he was racist when it goes public they
Have to act. Players wanna boycott anyway since they took a shitty CBA deal.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't think he should lose his team with no compensation, however it's silly to overpay for Clips ...Sterling had them in a shitty deal. No suite money, Weakerr on court "spotlights" and stadium lighting, smaller lockerrooms...What a fucking genius ...but he has two billion reasons to be happy.
And even if sponsors, Doc, Silver owners etc knew he was racist when it goes public they
Have to act. Players wanna boycott anyway since they took a shitty CBA deal.

This has been public for years. This is not new. I don't understand why people keep acting like this was some unknown, private thing that just blew up. It's been a major story for years & I even brought it up when Granger choose The Clippers before this situation arose.

Findog
05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
This is some serious mafioso type stuff. Have the man declared "mentally incapacitated", come in with what appears to be a completely ridiculous offer...Too many things adding up to not be skeptical that there are a lot of strings being pulled here, of questionable legality.

The conspiracy-minded part of me wonders if the whole thing was a set up. Pay off the woman to tape him, promise to get her a lawyer when the shit hits the fan. The ridiculous overpay is obviously to get the Sterlings to go away and not strand the franchise in limbo while this gets litigated for years.

I mean, it's well-known in NBA circles what a demented nutcase this guy is. What ended up getting taped is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't at all be surprised if somebody decided a TMZ-instigated social media shitstorm was the way to go to get rid of him.

Clipper Nation
05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
I agree with your overall view, but bullying/bribing your way to the jackpot is very, very contemporary 'Murica... We went from buying and owning things to licensing/renting things (ie: the IP world). Went from justice to "if you want this, you gotta agree not to sue and we'll pick the arbitrator" (ie: cell phone contracts). This is a rentier world now, formed basically of little clubs that force you to waive your rights if you want to be part of them. It's a larger topic than just this instance, and it certainly does't sit well with me either.

Not seeing it, tbh.....

First of all, owning a franchise has always been different from owning a standalone business.... just like McDonald's can void your franchise for not living up to their standards and harming the company's reputation, the NBA can kick you out of the club for not playing by their rules.... that's not indicative of a new "IP/renting world," it's just the way it's always worked....

Second of all, despite Media's attempts to make this a purely racial issue in order to get more pageviews and ratings, this controversy has always been primarily an issue of contracts.... at the end of the day, DTS agreed to the league constitution that gave the NBA the power to vote him out, he agreed to moral/ethical contracts to the league, he signed a contract with his wife allowing the sale of the team, and he signed a contract with the family trust requiring him to be of sound mind to continue to be a trustee.... those contracts don't just go away because he regrets signing them or because the tables have finally turned on him... he wasn't forced to waive his rights, he gave up some of his rights willingly....

Finally, whether the recordings were meant for public consumption or not doesn't matter.... if you can lose your job for tweeting out something negative about your boss/employer, even if it's from your personal account and not intended for the company to read, why should Sterling not have to face consequences for saying inflammatory things about his customers? Not to mention, it's not like his racist beliefs haven't already been public for decades in other forms....

Clipper Nation
05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I mean, it's well-known in NBA circles what a demented nutcase this guy is. What ended up getting taped is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't at all be surprised if somebody decided a TMZ-instigated social media shitstorm was the way to go to get rid of him.

Even if there really was a conspiracy, that's still better than Stern pussying out and doing absolutely nothing to remove this cancer from the league...

Infinite_limit
05-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Welcome to the Soviet North American Union.

ElNono
05-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Not seeing it, tbh.....

First of all, owning a franchise has always been different from owning a standalone business.... just like McDonald's can void your franchise for not living up to their standards and harming the company's reputation, the NBA can kick you out of the club for not playing by their rules.... that's not indicative of a new "IP/renting world," it's just the way it's always worked....

Second of all, despite Media's attempts to make this a purely racial issue in order to get more pageviews and ratings, this controversy has always been primarily an issue of contracts.... at the end of the day, DTS agreed to the league constitution that gave the NBA the power to vote him out, he agreed to moral/ethical contracts to the league, he signed a contract with his wife allowing the sale of the team, and he signed a contract with the family trust requiring him to be of sound mind to continue to be a trustee.... those contracts don't just go away because he regrets signing them or because the tables have finally turned on him... he wasn't forced to waive his rights, he gave up some of his rights willingly....

Finally, whether the recordings were meant for public consumption or not doesn't matter.... if you can lose your job for tweeting out something negative about your boss/employer, even if it's from your personal account and not intended for the company to read, why should Sterling not have to face consequences for saying inflammatory things about his customers? Not to mention, it's not like his racist beliefs haven't already been public for decades in other forms....

You're missing the point. I'm not saying the NBA isn't entitled to do what it's doing, I'm saying we (including Sterling) has to willingly waive a good chunk of his rights in order to be part of the "select club". DPG said he feels that's un-American, but it actually is what America has been moving to in all sorts of areas. For example, if you signed a contract with AT&T, you waived your right to class action suits. It's a complex topic that goes beyond of what's happening in this case.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Not seeing it, tbh.....

tl;dr

1)You tweeting something for public consumption is much different than being illegally recorded.

2) Constitutional rights do not get thrown out the window because it's a private company with it's own rules. You are free to have your own regulations from a company/contract perspective, but they do not supersede constitutional rights.

3) He did sign a contract allowing him to be voted out. Players also have contracts with stipulations. After he signed that contract, plenty of public things came out and they did nothing. It didn't damage the brand because players continue to sign there and high profile coaches.

4) Latching onto point 3 - many things, arguably just as bad (depending on your moral compass) have happened, very publicly and punishment has been no where near this.

If you can't understand the concept of precedent or consistency in punishment, then that is on you. I don't feel bad for Sterling - at the end of the day he's a crappy person who shouldn't own a team and he's making billions off of this anyways. It doesn't mean that I agree with the tactics, process & overall feel of what happened despite the decision being morally correct.

ElNono
05-30-2014, 04:44 PM
2) Constitutional rights do not get thrown out the window because it's a private company with it's own rules. You are free to have your own regulations from a company/contract perspective, but they do not supersede constitutional rights.

This is actually not entirely true. You CAN waive your constitutional rights as part of entering a contract. That's the power that allows the NBA to fine players for exercising their free speech (a constitutionally protected right) in ways that the league feels is detrimental.

Jacob1983
05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
The call took place on the soil of California correct? Don't both parties have to consent if the conversation is going to be recorded in California? Sterling, racist or not, had his privacy and rights violated. You can shit on him and say he's a racist even though you've probably said some stupid shit that you hope to God no one ever finds out about but at the end of the day, it was a private phone call. It was none of our business. It was not the business of the NBA, Clippers, the players, coaches, or the fans. If you are in your house, you should be allowed to have some privacy and that includes on your phone.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 05:02 PM
This is actually not entirely true. You CAN waive your constitutional rights as part of entering a contract. That's the power that allows the NBA to fine players for exercising their free speech (a constitutionally protected right) in ways that the league feels is detrimental.

Only to a certain degree. You cannot consent, whether in the contract or not, to illegal recording for example (I think). Free speech is a constitutional right & as such you are free to do things (within the guidelines of the interpretation of the law). That doesn't protect you from ramifications such as this case (in a bubble).

ElNono
05-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Only to a certain degree. You cannot consent, whether in the contract or not, to illegal recording for example (I think). Free speech is a constitutional right & as such you are free to do things (within the guidelines of the interpretation of the law). That doesn't protect you from ramifications such as this case (in a bubble).

The big picture problem he has with the league is that he waived his due process right to challenge the league determinations in court, and that's huge.

It wasn't the league that recorded him illegally. He likely does have a case against the bitch, but that's immaterial to the league.

He agreed not to sue the league and to accept the Commissioner's determinations, along with putting his membership in the hands of the other owners as part of becoming member of the "club". He knew that and agreed with it when he signed up for it.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 05:32 PM
The big picture problem he has with the league is that he waived his due process right to challenge the league determinations in court, and that's huge.

It wasn't the league that recorded him illegally. He likely does have a case against the bitch, but that's immaterial to the league.

He agreed not to sue the league and to accept the Commissioner's determinations, along with putting his membership in the hands of the other owners as part of becoming member of the "club". He knew that and agreed with it when he signed up for it.

Sure, but even within that contract with the NBA, there were clear areas that he felt violated that agreement per his lawyers response to the league. If they breached their contract or went beyond their scope of enforceable punishment, I would imagine he has a case.

ElNono
05-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Sure, but even within that contract with the NBA, there were clear areas that he felt violated that agreement per his lawyers response to the league. If they breached their contract or went beyond their scope of enforceable punishment, I would imagine he has a case.

There was never any doubt that he'll sue, and he will always find a lawyer that takes his money from him. I also think he'll probably sue his wife. I don't think his lawsuit against the league will prevail, tho.

baseline bum
05-30-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't get the constitutional rights objection. Free speech means you can't go jail for expressing unpopular opinions.

Jacob1983
05-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Should any of us lose any of our possessions for shit that we say in private at our homes? If Sterling has the Clippers taken away over stupid shit he said on an illegally recorded phone call then it's fair game for everyone else. Stop being fuckin hypocrites and stone throwers. Don't act like you're holier than thou. Just tired of all the hypocrisy.

ChumpDumper
05-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Should any of us lose any of our possessions for shit that we say in private at our homes? If Sterling has the Clippers taken away over stupid shit he said on an illegally recorded phone call then it's fair game for everyone else. Stop being fuckin hypocrites and stone throwers. Don't act like you're holier than thou. Just tired of all the hypocrisy.If you signed a contract allowing the HOA to take your home away for saying stupid shit, watch who you say stupid shit to.

DPG21920
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't get the constitutional rights objection. Free speech means you can't go jail for expressing unpopular opinions.

I think it's more about the illegal recording part v the free speech part..

tlongII
05-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Sterling just wants to get the league to pay his capital gains taxes. That's all.

LkrFan
05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Ballmer is described as a "Seattle-based former Microsoft chief executive."

"Seattle Clippers" has a nice ring to it. :tu

Mark in Austin
05-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Signed, The Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams

baseline bum
05-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Signed, The Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams

OK, no one is stupid enough to pay $2 billion and move the team away from LA

Clipper Nation
05-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Ballmer is described as a "Seattle-based former Microsoft chief executive."

"Seattle Clippers" has a nice ring to it. :tu

Sorry Juan, Ballmer will be shitting on Fredo in LA :lol

JoeTait75
05-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Five years ago it made sense to move the Clip Show, imo.

Doesn't make sense to move them now, though.

Findog
05-31-2014, 12:11 AM

I read that as less of a screed over protected rights and more of a comment on digital mobs with pitchforks. Somebody gets into trouble because of something they said or did, the digital mob foments and then the offending party has to resign or quit from whatever it is that he or she does. Just once I would like some public figure to say "You know what? Fuck you. I'm not resigning/quitting."

I don't know that I want to live in a world where we beat up a guy because of shit he said in private when he was illegally taped. Don't we all feel better that we ganged up on this dude now that it's been revealed he's senile and has alzheimers? All those liberals patting themselves on the back for how enlightened and progressive and tolerant they are because they had the balls to gang up on a sick old man. It's just meaningless posturing and signaling and there's more important shit to be worried about. Fuck those idiots who act like Donald Sterling himself personally came to their house and dropped N-bombs to their face. To those people I say get over yourselves.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 12:18 AM
All those liberals patting themselves on the back for how enlightened and progressive and tolerant they are because they had the balls to gang up on a sick old man.

Let's not pretend like Sterling didn't make a career out of preying on the weak as a despicable slumlord....

Findog
05-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Let's not pretend like Sterling didn't make a career out of preying on the weak as a despicable slumlord....

I'm willing to bet that pretty close to 0 % of the digital mob gave a fuck about any of that until he got busted on TMZ.

baseline bum
05-31-2014, 12:21 AM

Sorry Juan, Ballmer will be shitting on Fredo in LA :lol

To be fair, Ballmer was Microsoft Fredo.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm willing to bet that pretty close to 0 % of the digital mob gave a fuck about any of that until he got busted on TMZ.

Doesn't mean he deserves sympathy or pity for getting a far more sanitized version of the kind of treatment he doled out to countless other people for decades without a care in the world....

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 12:45 AM
To be fair, Ballmer was Microsoft Fredo.

Meh, there's a big difference between being CEO of a company and being a sports team owner, so it doesn't really translate.... the owners who try to run their teams like a business usually are the shittiest ones....

Findog
05-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Doesn't mean he deserves sympathy or pity for getting a far more sanitized version of the kind of treatment he doled out to countless other people for decades without a care in the world....

It also means I don't have to take seriously most of the people criticizing him.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 11:47 AM

Yet posters on a message board call him a "moron" who "overpaid" :lol

scanry
05-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Yet posters on a message board call him a "moron" who "overpaid"

Try spining it which ever way you feel like it, but Ballmer overpaid by a good 400 odd mil son. This ain't the Lakers or the Knicks, you're one Blake Griffin injury away from lottery.

tlongII
05-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Five years ago it made sense to move the Clip Show, imo.

Doesn't make sense to move them now, though.

Yep, now with Ballmer's money the Lakers will slide into irrelevancy.

baseline bum
05-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Yet posters on a message board call him a "moron" who "overpaid" :lol

Pays to be friends with Bill Gates tbh. LOL those shares going up that much once he said he was leaving.

Mark in Austin
05-31-2014, 06:36 PM
OK, no one is stupid enough to pay $2 billion and move the team away from LA

I think the purchase price demonstrates that money wasn't the first consideration.

baseline bum
05-31-2014, 06:39 PM
I think the purchase price demonstrates that money wasn't the first consideration.

Moot point anyways, since the other owners would never approve the move while they have maybe the best stadium in the NBA to play in.

LkrFan
05-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Man, if the Clipps are worth $2B, I wonder how much the Spurs are worth. Especially with their $2.99 court side seats. :lol

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Moot point anyways, since the other owners would never approve the move while they have maybe the best stadium in the NBA to play in.The renderings of the new Sonics Arena look pretty awesome.

Mark in Austin
05-31-2014, 07:02 PM
Moot point anyways, since the other owners would never approve the move while they have maybe the best stadium in the NBA to play in.

Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do. They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers. Basically the only real big market revenue stream the Clips are tapping into right now are ticket prices. Are there advantages to staying in LA? Hell yeah. And I would enjoy watching a competent owner compete with the Lakers in the market. But with a guy like Balmer, if they don't gain traction in the market I could see them looking at Seattle in a couple years if that situation hasn't resolved itself. The new media deal the league is going to sign is going to further erode the advantages of big markets over smaller ones.

So I guess my point is that they probably stay in LA. But Balmer has already proven that money isn't the deciding factor for him (and since he is sole owner he has no partners where this is an issue) BUT even if it was a factor, going forward the upcoming revenue streams from league-wide rights will make it even easier to make serious money in mid and small markets.

baseline bum
05-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do. They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers. Basically the only real big market revenue stream the Clips are tapping into right now are ticket prices. Are there advantages to staying in LA? Hell yeah. And I would enjoy watching a competent owner compete with the Lakers in the market. But with a guy like Balmer, if they don't gain traction in the market I could see them looking at Seattle in a couple years if that situation hasn't resolved itself. The new media deal the league is going to sign is going to further erode the advantages of big markets over smaller ones.

So I guess my point is that they probably stay in LA. But Balmer has already proven that money isn't the deciding factor for him (and since he is sole owner he has no partners where this is an issue) BUT even if it was a factor, going forward the upcoming revenue streams from league-wide rights will make it even easier to make serious money in mid and small markets.

They have two years in that current TV deal, which was shitty because it was negotiated under Prime Sterling's garbage team when it looked like we were headed into another great depression.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do.
IIRC, they pay less than the Lakers do to use the same arena, so it's not really that unfavorable.... additionally, I wonder if he might try to buy the Staples Center next, since AEG has been rumored as wanting to sell it for a while now....

They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers.
That will be changing soon in a major way, especially with how desperate FOX will be to keep as many LA teams as possible with Time Warner encroaching on the market.... FOX already lost the Lakers and Dodgers to Time Warner, doubt they'll want to lose a third.... I could see Comcast looking to get into the LA market as well....

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:20 PM
IIRC, they pay less than the Lakers do to use the same arena, so it's not really that unfavorable.... additionally, I wonder if he might try to buy the Staples Center next, since AEG has been rumored as wanting to sell it for a while now....

That will be changing soon in a major way, especially with how desperate FOX will be to keep as many LA teams as possible with Time Warner encroaching on the market.... FOX already lost the Lakers and Dodgers to Time Warner, doubt they'll want to lose a third.... I could see Comcast looking to get into the LA market as well....Comcast is getting into the LA market by buying Time Warner.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Comcast is getting into the LA market by buying Time Warner.

You're right, I didn't know that was being finalized.... last I heard, Charter was trying to buy them instead....

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:31 PM
You're right, I didn't know that was being finalized.... last I heard, Charter was trying to buy them instead....I think Charter is going to get some of the markets that have to be jettisoned from the others to clear the antitrust business, but it seems like the sale is going to happen.

Seriously though, I think Ballmer is just going to wait out the lease or even pay to break it to bring the NBA back to Seattle in a few years. The sheer amount of money he put into it makes me think he wants the Sonics to be his legacy.

I mean, what existing franchise would be the easiest to move? For most intents and purposes, the Clips are kind of redundant/superfluous where they are.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Seriously though, I think Ballmer is just going to wait out the lease or even pay to break it to bring the NBA back to Seattle in a few years. The sheer amount of money he put into it makes me think he wants the Sonics to be his legacy.
For the millionth time, the league won't allow it, and the purchase agreement says in writing that the team cannot be moved out of LA.... and the money he spent is actually a counterargument to moving to Seattle, as nobody is going to spend $2 billion on something only to purposely devalue it :lol

There is one possibility for him to bring the NBA back to Seattle, though - since we currently don't have a D-League affiliate, maybe he could establish one in Seattle and get the fans to actually support the team in order to make a case for an expansion team down the road....

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:36 PM
For the millionth time, the league won't allow it, and the purchase agreement says in writing that the team cannot be moved out of LA....Got a link to that? Does that agreement go into perpetuity? I think that would be highly unlikely.
and the money he spent is actually a counterargument to moving to Seattle, as nobody is going to spend $2 billion on something only to purposely devalue it :lolActually the money spent shows he doesn't really give a shit about the money.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:38 PM
What compelling interest is there for the NBA to keep the Clippers in Los Angeles forever that they would require that in a contract?

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 07:43 PM
What compelling interest is there for the NBA to keep the Clippers in Los Angeles forever that they would require that in a contract?
the nba probably likes having teams in giant markets

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Got a link to that?
Purchase agreement:
I don't know for sure if it goes into perpetuity, but I'd imagine it does, otherwise Media would already be using any time limit on that clause to give Seattle fans false hope...

League not allowing it:

Ballmer's own words on the matter:

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
the nba probably likes having teams in giant marketsSure but in terms of actual viewers, it's not like the Clippers draw as much as the Lakers do. If they just wanted money above everything else, they would have approved the bid to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle.

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
most of that is compelling except for "balmer's words"

i remember clay bennet's rhetoric too

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:47 PM

There's no reason for the NBA to allow a team to move out of a top 2 media market in the nation without significant proof of hardship that just doesn't exist with the Clippers.... and no, being the "second team in town" is not even close to being a hardship worthy of relocation, tbh....

Another thing is that IIRC, before the Board of Governors votes to approve Ballmer as owner, he has to guarantee to them that he will not move the team of LA....

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Purchase agreement:
I don't know for sure if it goes into perpetuity, but I'd imagine it does, otherwise Media would already be using any time limit on that clause to give Seattle fans false hope...

League not allowing it:

Ballmer's own words on the matter:
472568391832981504Did only one person write about the sale?

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Markazi and Shelburne are two of the more active LA sports reporters. shelburne is typically on top of laker stuff, markazi with clipper stuff

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Markazi and Shelburne are two of the more active LA sports reporters. shelburne is typically on top of laker stuff, markazi with clipper stuff

In fairness, Shelbourne does a good job with both teams.... she and Mark Heisler actually scooped Woj over and over again during the Doc negotiations last summer while Woj was writing hit pieces that sounded like Danny Ainge ghostwrote them :lol

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
In fairness, Shelbourne does a good job with both teams.... she and Mark Heisler actually scooped Woj over and over again during the Doc negotiations last summer while Woj was writing hit pieces that sounded like Danny Ainge ghostwrote them :lol
momo and clipper smurf doing work tbh

ChumpDumper
05-31-2014, 07:59 PM
There's no reason for the NBA to allow a team to move out of a top 2 media market in the nation without significant proof of hardship that just doesn't exist with the Clippers.... and no, being the "second team in town" is not even close to being a hardship worthy of relocation, tbh....

Another thing is that IIRC, before the Board of Governors votes to approve Ballmer as owner, he has to guarantee to them that he will not move the team of LA....OK, I'll wait and see what the new TV deal looks like. If it ends on or before the date of the lease expiration, I will still consider it a possibility.

When the lease gets renewed, I'll stop considering the possibility.

Mark in Austin
05-31-2014, 11:58 PM
Actually the money spent shows he doesn't really give a shit about the money.

This. I'm not saying he's moving the team, but I am saying that money won't be the reason he decides not to. This is a hobby for him, not a business.