PDA

View Full Version : Duncan is still lost out there defensively

testies
05-29-2014, 10:58 PM
They were scoring at will in 1st quarter untill Splitter substituted him, Duncan just isn't good against small ball offense

I really hope we notice this sooner. I don't really care about being nice to our legends right now, I just want to win. We need Splitter+Boris to play 70% of the "big" line up minutes

weebo
05-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Splitter? :lmao

testies
05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm talking about specifically Splitter being able to keep his body in front of Reggie Jackson in 4 different drives that went scoreless for OKC

Duncan doesn't have the lateral speed to do that, and made OKC have like 5, 6 easy buckets

TDfan2007
05-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Just...stop posting.

Sean Cagney
05-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Just...stop posting.

:lol

TampaDude
05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that 22 and 12 Timmy put up in only 30 minutes tonight really sucked... :lmao

benstanfield
05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Lost or just not able to stop Westbrook at age 38? His post defense and rebounding are still better than Splitter, and his offense is miles better. Splitter is a better rim protector but we all could've figured that out watching round 1 against Monta.

tlongII
05-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Duncan had a game high 12 rebounds. He did fine.

Jenks
05-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Splitter? :lmao
Yeah what about Splitter? He hasn't been a beast defensively? His footwork isn't excellent? Shit, even Reggie was raving about his footwork in the first round when he switched onto Monta Ellis on the perimeter and was able to stay in front of him.

This thread is retarded but nothing to laugh about regarding Splitter's D this postseason.

DesignatedT
05-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Lol he's not lost he's just older and slower.

Kidd K
05-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah Tim Duncan sucks defensively. He's only 2nd ALL TIME in career defensive rating, and used to be 1st except he played so long that his spot at #1 slipped down just enough to make him #2. The guy at #1 retired after 11 seasons an only 787 in his early 30s. If Duncan did that too, he would've been #1.Instead, he stuck around to play 1,254 games (and counting).

Duncan is arguably the best team defender of all time. Stop being a mental cripple.

Nathan89
05-29-2014, 11:31 PM
They were scoring at will in 1st quarter untill Splitter substituted him, Duncan just isn't good against small ball offense

So they started scoring at will again win Duncan came back in, right?

RD2191
05-29-2014, 11:31 PM

703 Spurz
05-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Another what the fuck post starter. Christ do we need brain testing done prior to allowing dudes to post?

weebo
05-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Yeah what about Splitter? He hasn't been a beast defensively? His footwork isn't excellent? Shit, even Reggie was raving about his footwork in the first round when he switched onto Monta Ellis on the perimeter and was able to stay in front of him.

This thread is retarded but nothing to laugh about regarding Splitter's D this postseason.

Duncan put up 22/12 last night and you want Splitter on the floor instead of Duncan?? Splitter is good vs. certain match up, but no way he's staying in front of Durant and Westbrook on penetrations.

Besides, the Spurs blew the Thunder out with Splitter only getting 12 minutes...stfu already

DarrinS
05-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Just...stop posting.

This

100%duncan
05-30-2014, 08:05 AM

This times 1000000000000000000000000000000

dg7md
05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Duncan doesn't play well against long, athletic teams. This isn't anything new. However, he's been really playing great at home, so the home energy at least feeds into him. He needs to have a solid game on the road in 6 for us to win there.

Raven
05-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah Tim Duncan sucks defensively. He's only 2nd ALL TIME in career defensive rating, and used to be 1st except he played so long that his spot at #1 slipped down just enough to make him #2. The guy at #1 retired after 11 seasons an only 787 in his early 30s. If Duncan did that too, he would've been #1.Instead, he stuck around to play 1,254 games (and counting).

Duncan is arguably the best team defender of all time. Stop being a mental cripple.

that's just a retarded take

spurspokesman
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Make it stop

Raven
05-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Duncan doesn't play well against long, athletic teams. This isn't anything new. However, he's been really playing great at home, so the home energy at least feeds into him. He needs to have a solid game on the road in 6 for us to win there.

has there ever been a player that played worse against small unathletic players than against long athletic ones?

TampaDude
05-30-2014, 08:29 AM
has there ever been a player that played worse against small unathletic players than against long athletic ones?

Jenks
05-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Duncan put up 22/12 last night and you want Splitter on the floor instead of Duncan??Uh, no I definitely don't. Learn to read dipshit.

Obstructed_View
05-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah it had nothing to do with that other big that started next to him.

weebo
05-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Uh, no I definitely don't. Learn to read dipshit.

And as I said, Splitter is good vs certain match ups (specifically against jump shooting bigs), but if you go back and look at Westbrook's monster dunk Splitter's footwork didn't mean shit. He left the lane too early and this so called defensive beast failed to get back and protect the rim. This is just one of many examples where Splitter's excellent footwork fails to get back on D vs. guys like Westbrook, Durant, and Jackson.

Fucking dumbass.

Jenks
05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
And as I said, Splitter is good vs certain match ups (specifically against jump shooting bigs), but if you go back and look at Westbrook's monster dunk Splitter's footwork didn't mean shit. He left the lane too early and this so called defensive beast failed to get back and protect the rim. This is just one of many examples where Splitter's excellent footwork fails to get back on D vs. guys like Westbrook, Durant, and Jackson.

Fucking dumbass. Yes, that 1 highlight dunk from one of the best athletes in the league is the same as a hobbled role player walking to the rim at will the first 6 minutes of the game. Keep watchin' ESPN, sounds like you've learned a lot there. You are a dipshit. What is even your argument, that Splitter occasionally gets beat? Well done.

weebo
05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Yes, that 1 highlight dunk from one of the best athletes in the league is the same as a hobbled role player walking to the rim at will the first 6 minutes of the game. Keep watchin' ESPN, sounds like you've learned a lot there. You are a dipshit. What is even your argument, that Splitter occasionally gets beat? Well done.

Go back and read the OP. The OP stated he wanted Splitter and Diaw on the court for 70% of the time. That implies Duncan only gets court time for 30% of the game. So, I questioned the OP's seriousness of his post to take Splitter over Duncan in a crucial playoff series. That's when you chimed in claiming Splitter was a "defensive beast" with "excellent foot work," to which I replied that Splitter is good vs. certain match ups and is not for this series because Durant and Westbrook are so dynamic and explosive that Splitter's presence won't make a difference.

Next time you want to argue your point make sure you understand the context of the original post and its replies.

Jenks
05-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Go back and read the OP.
I read the OP and said the OP was retarded.

Splitter's defense was extraordinary in the first 2 series, and has been very good this series. He's out of the starting lineup because of problems on the other end of the court. You're right that he's "not for this series," but you're completely wrong about why.

weebo
05-30-2014, 02:20 PM
I read the OP and said the OP was retarded.

Splitter's defense was extraordinary in the first 2 series, and has been very good this series. He's out of the starting lineup because of problems on the other end of the court. You're right that he's "not for this series," but you're completely wrong about why.

According to your argument Splitter is a "defensive monster" because he had a great series vs. Dirk. Monta Ellis was driving at will against the Spurs bigs (averaged 19/6). Westbrook and Durant are head and shoulders above Monta. So tell me, what makes you think Splitter will do any better against superior ballers?

Again you miss the point I was trying to make...I questioned the OP about his desire to play Splitter over Duncan. I never called Splitter a scrub, but let's not overrate him like a defensive stopper. Is he a better defender than Duncan at this time? Possibly. However, whatever he brings on the defensive end is negated by his lack of offense (which allows Ibaka to roam the paint). Duncan, even at his age, is still the best big on the Spurs roster and deserves to get the bulk of the minutes.

Anyway, keep coming up with ways to ignore the fact that you misunderstood my reply to the original post. I'm out! Have a nice day!

Jenks
05-30-2014, 02:34 PM
According to your argument Splitter is a "defensive monster" because he had a great series vs. Dirk.And LMA?

Monta Ellis was driving at will against the Spurs bigs (averaged 19/6). Westbrook and Durant are head and shoulders above Monta. So tell me, what makes you think Splitter will do any better against superior ballers?Uh, Dirk doesn't hang around the rim. If Splitter was near the rim, he wouldn't have been doing his job (which happened to be the most important one on the court). I mentioned how impressive his footwork was when he got switched onto Ellis in a pnr. It wasn't his job to protect the rim, it was Duncan's.

Is he a better defender than Duncan at this time? Possibly.Oh come on.

However, whatever he brings on the defensive end is negated by his lack of offense (which allows Ibaka to roam the paint).Hey, you nailed it!

Anyway, keep coming up with ways to ignore the fact that you misunderstood my reply to the original post.
You posted "Splitter :lmao"
Everyone is supposed to know that means "what he brings to the defensive end is negated by the spacing problems he's creating in this series on the other end of the floor" ? You're right, I misunderstood that. I replied that the OP was retarded, but Splitter has been great defensively and you told me to "stfu already."

I'm out! Have a nice day!It's been fun, I've got another few hours of work if you change your mind.

Kidd K
05-30-2014, 02:39 PM
that's just a retarded take

I hope you're somehow joking. Duncan gave up the 2nd least amount of points per possession over his career than anyone in NBA history, yet it's a retarded take that he's arguably the best team defender of all time? :lmao

Speaking of retards, hello there.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-30-2014, 03:03 PM
I disagree with this mostly. Duncan has been getting a bit slower and slower, but he's still doing extremely well on defense for the most part. Only exception is against Reggie Jackson, idk how but the dude always seems to get by Duncan with his last step, like Duncan doesn't expect him to take an extra step around him. And when Duncan backs up a bit he has a decent floater.

Raven
05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I hope you're somehow joking. Duncan gave up the 2nd least amount of points per possession over his career than anyone in NBA history, yet it's a retarded take that he's arguably the best team defender of all time? :lmao

Speaking of retards, hello there.

what does that have to do with how he is now?

BackHome
05-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah I love Duncan but in the first quarter Wesbrook was just going to the whole like a pimp going to a whore. He is still a good defender but age has slowed him down just a tad..........

Kidd K
05-30-2014, 06:57 PM
what does that have to do with how he is now?

He isn't bad now either. Just because he can't make specific plays like he used to doesn't mean he magically sucks overall now.

dbreiden83080
05-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Duncan in 2003 could literally control the game on both ends.. Altering and blocking shots, shutting down his man and dominating on the low block, Then there is his passing.. He was a beast..

Raven
05-31-2014, 03:40 AM
He isn't bad now either. Just because he can't make specific plays like he used to doesn't mean he magically sucks overall now.

i'm not saying he sucks, just that your starting argument has nothing to do with the issue.

admiralsnackbar
05-31-2014, 04:36 AM
At first I read Durant, and agreed. No longer.

Kidd K
05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
i'm not saying he sucks, just that your starting argument has nothing to do with the issue.

It has everything to do with the issue. He isn't a shitty defender, so quit whining about it like he's supposed to be DPOY caliber at 38.

Cry Havoc
05-31-2014, 02:10 PM
What's funny is that Duncan is the best big man in the Conference Finals again this year and yet you have threads like this. :lol

#1spursfanNvegas
05-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Just...stop posting.

Raven
05-31-2014, 04:14 PM
It has everything to do with the issue. He isn't a shitty defender, so quit whining about it like he's supposed to be DPOY caliber at 38.

let me say it very clear: career defensive rating has 0 weight in the argument about Duncan's D right now.

Kidd K
05-31-2014, 04:58 PM
let me say it very clear: career defensive rating has 0 weight in the argument about Duncan's D right now.

Let ME say it very clear: Duncan is an all time great defender and STILL a good defender now. Stop crying about his D because he isn't still DPOY caliber at 38. He is far from being bad or even just average. You are acting like a spoiled brat who's ire is in the wrong place. Duncan is still one of the best defensive players on the team (Tied for first on team with Leonard this season). You're like those posters who crying about Tony Parker's scoring. . .as if anyone else on the team is any better.