PDA

View Full Version : Game 6 adjustments

Seventyniner
05-30-2014, 02:45 PM
I don't think Pop can count on Bonner being any better on the road than at home. Of course, it's hard to be worse than 0-4 with 2 fouls and no other stats (except that +6 beeeeyotch).

Pop might send Bonner back to the bench because that experiment didn't really work. I'm thinking start Diaw and be prepared to go small with Leonard at PF. Have at least 4 capable shooters (i.e. not Duncan or Splitter) on the floor at all times, most of them with 3-point range (really all but Parker).

peacemaker885
05-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I think Pop won't change anything. He will continue to start Bonner and the Red Rocket will deliver ;-)

dbestpro
05-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Start Bonner, and let Diaw bring energy from the bench. One or the other will be on the court to stretch Ibaka. Doesn't matter if Bonner makes a shot or not.

Mugen
05-30-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm iffy on starting Bonner and I think Pop will go Diaw instead. If Matty starts and can hit open shots then that is obviously HUGE for the Spurs moving forward. But asking that out of Matt, especially on the road in the WCF, is too much IMO.

Ideally, you want Diaw out there whenever the Thunder are big to stretch Ibaka out. But you also want him in when the Thunder have a small ball lineup so he can take KD to the post. But that would entail Diaw playing heavy, heavy minutes which is also unrealistic IMO.

I think a good start is critical in Game 6 both to keep the momentum from Game 5 and force doubt into the Thunder. In that case, I would start Diaw and match his minutes up with Ibaka as much as possible. If the Thunder go small or when Serge is off the floor, then you just have to trust that TP/Manu/Kawhi make a concerted effort to attack the basket like they did in Game 5.

BillMc
05-30-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm iffy on starting Bonner and I think Pop will go Diaw instead. If Matty starts and can hit open shots then that is obviously HUGE for the Spurs moving forward. But asking that out of Matt, especially on the road in the WCF, is too much IMO.

Ideally, you want Diaw out there whenever the Thunder are big to stretch Ibaka out. But you also want him in when the Thunder have a small ball lineup so he can take KD to the post. But that would entail Diaw playing heavy, heavy minutes which is also unrealistic IMO.

I think a good start is critical in Game 6 both to keep the momentum from Game 5 and force doubt into the Thunder. In that case, I would start Diaw and match his minutes up with Ibaka as much as possible. If the Thunder go small or when Serge is off the floor, then you just have to trust that TP/Manu/Kawhi make a concerted effort to attack the basket like they did in Game 5.

Good post. I agree with you that Diaw has turned out to be huge in this series. I'd still start Matty, and if he's not hitting, pull him fast. Boris will still get by far the lion's share of the minutes.