PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld/Emmett: Evans Possibility Grows

Solid D
08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13789.shtml

Last Updated: Aug 12th, 2005 - 18:10:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summertime: Evans Possibility Grows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Emmett Shaw
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 12, 2005, 17:26

New Jersey rescinding the Shareef Abdur-Rahim trade has ramifications in South Texas. If the Spurs have interest in Shareef, for their sake it would be best if Abdur-Rahim join Chris Webber in Spurs lore. In the summer of 2001, reportedly Gregg Popovich told Chris to just say “yes” to a huge San Antonio contract when the then All-Star was a Sacramento free agent. That little-big word “yes” from C-Webb presumably would have left David Robinson the odd man out in San Antonio. The Admiral was also seeking a new contract that summer. Good thing for the Spurs that Chris signed with Sacramento, and the same is true of Abdur-Rahim as we write this.

First, Webber’s decision presumably kept Robinson with the Spurs. All the Spurs went on to rally around David’s subsequent retirement announcement to win the NBA’s 2003 Title. (Maybe you remember those days when Tim Duncan went wild in playoff games, posting triple-doubles at times. How quickly we can forget how great the big man is when he’s restricted with two injured ankles, which he was this post-season. Yet, winning this latest championship within his body’s limits solidifies Tim’s value. It’s now established that not only has he awesome ability, but guts.) In the playoffs of 2003 was when Webber suffered his terrible knee injury spinning for a lob in Dallas.

Chris then had to have the dreaded micro-fracture surgery; he has never been the same. Plus, when the Kings re-signed Webber in 2001, it sealed one of the Spurs’ main conference rivals into the capped status they still face today. The Kings generally must use their mid-level exception each off-season, rather than cap-room, to add established talent. And that is where the suddenly available Abdur-Rahim now comes in. He has already established a strong asking price – and probably a strong market price – in the aborted Nets deal. The price is about $5 million per year in 2005-06. Apparently Sacramento is very interested, and that would mean their restricted FA Maurice Evans becomes more available.

If everything stays on its present track, Sac would only be allowed to match an offer sheet to Evans up to about $1.7 million. This means that if Maurice wants to join the Spurs, the 6-5 guard-forward’s way wouldn’t be blocked if the Spurs sign him to say, $1.75 million for the coming season, with a raise in coming year(s). This is assuming that the Kings and Blazers don’t do a sign-and-trade with Shareef, which isn’t especially likely unless a third team with a trade exception or cap-space joins in. Maurice Evans would probably be the best the Spurs could do at the swing position in this year’s FA market. Such a possibility places Devin Brown in some jeopardy of not returning to the Spurs should San Antonio complete it’s roster by going other than Devin’s direction.

There’s no information I have that the Spurs have any interest in Philadelphia restricted FA Matt Barnes, but he should be more available than ever because Philly’s roster is filling up and they are spending tons of money on free agents such as Samuel Dalembert, Kyle Korver, Steven Hunter, various undrafted players, and eventually Willie Green. I like Barnes’ 6-7 size, quickness, and competitiveness on the wing. Whether or not Rasho Nesterovic is traded (and the evidence mounts that there is no demand out there for his contract), Devin Brown could be on the outside looking in. Brown is a considerable fan favorite in his hometown of San Antonio.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For what it’s worth, FA Charles Bo Outlaw, another favorite son of SA, was courtside at the San Antonio Silver Stars game last night at SBC Center. He would make a perfect utility addition to the Spurs.

Another thing in the what-it’s-worth category: Maybe it’s the people’s sentiment talking, but word on the street in San Antonio is that someday Malik Rose will eventually find his way back into a Spurs uni at an uncertain future time.

To support what was left unsaid in the opening paragraph of this week’s column, though surely you should instantly agree with me if you watch the NBA, Shareef Abdur-Rahim just isn’t that good. Not at his price. He has some good skills, but where is the fire?

Dex
08-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I know Evan's is pretty high on the Spurs' Still Available list, but is he really that much of an upgrade over Devin Brown, assuming his back really IS a nonfactor? If we're gonna throw 1.75 million out at this guy, couldn't we do the same for Devin, considering the familiarity he already has with the organization and the character he hold both within the city and the locker room?

As far is the Outlaw thing is concerned, the guy is a great hustle player, but watching our guys at the line is ALREADY hard enough without having to withstand his funky-butt form. :lol

yavozerb
08-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Of course his back is an issue or the spurs would have signed him by now!! Nobody is going to know more about this injury than the Spurs just because they have following its progress since the injury!!

boutons
08-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Devin's medical records are as available to any interested team as they are to the Spurs. Spurs don't have any HCA in this matter.

Kori Ellis
08-13-2005, 12:14 AM
There’s no information I have that the Spurs have any interest in Philadelphia restricted FA Matt Barnes, but he should be more available than ever because Philly’s roster is filling up and they are spending tons of money on free agents such as Samuel Dalembert, Kyle Korver, Steven Hunter, various undrafted players, and eventually Willie Green. I like Barnes’ 6-7 size, quickness, and competitiveness on the wing.

The Spurs have wanted Barnes for a few years. So I assume that he's still on their target list.

Kori Ellis
08-13-2005, 02:02 AM
No, SolidD isn't Emmett Shaw.

spurster
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't understand why the Kings can only match up to $1.7M. Or was that BS?

spurster
08-13-2005, 12:53 PM
To answer my own question, it's because the Kings don't have Bird Rights or Early BIrd Rights for him, so if the Kings are over the cap, then they can only give him a 10% (or whatever) raise.

benjirh
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
To support what was left unsaid in the opening paragraph of this week’s column, though surely you should instantly agree with me if you watch the NBA, Shareef Abdur-Rahim just isn’t that good. Not at his price. He has some good skills, but where is the fire?

I assume he is saying that SAR was not worth the 14 mil. Because he is more than worth the mle.

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Evans for the rest of the MLE or a shade less for a couple of seasons wouldn't be that bad. Replacing Devin with him would be a bad move.