PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: How will new format affect NBA finals

ErnestLynch
05-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Not many have talked about it, but this is the first year the NBA finals will be the same format as the conference playoffs, 2-2-1-1-1, which, they say, will even further the HCA.

What do you think. Is this better for the Spurs, or OKC, who would both have HCA against Miami.

My worry with both WC teams, is that I believe Miami is a better defensive team.

Man, they looked good tonight but, Indiana isn't SA or OKC. With that said, I think SA has a better chance against Miami, who I think would crush OKC.

After watching the KD/Westbrook post game interviews after game 5 I was struck with how immature they are. They just aren't ready. They aren't NBA finals, at least versus a Lebron/Wade/Bosh Miami, maturity wise. The whole backpack, staring at the table, all hunched over....kids in a mans game at this point. Win like a man, lose like a man. They aren't there. Weren't in 2012. Still not.

Anyway, do you think the new format helps us, hinders us, or makes no difference.

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 12:18 AM
We'll probably have to win a game on their floor either way. Don't matter

dg7md
05-31-2014, 12:19 AM
It probably helps home court advantage a lot. Theoretically, the 3 away road games is almost an advantage for the road team, but usually the home team wins one of those.

The Finals format they're using this year will be a lot better for the home team because having game 5 at home is always critical. 2-3-2 is just really bad and I'm glad they finally made the change.

It won't make a huge difference I think, but I do think it will matter to not have 3 away games in a row. Had we kept our lead in 6., coming back from those road games had a detrimental factor on Miami, I can't help but think that.

ErnestLynch
05-31-2014, 12:19 AM
So you're saying it makes no difference ? I would say no generally but in say an LA/NY series it would I think. SA/Miami not so bad. Question is, who does it favor ? Anyone ? Why did they do it ? League voted unanimously to change it. Why ?

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2014, 12:21 AM
dont mean shit, if refs want to push it to 7

ErnestLynch
05-31-2014, 12:22 AM
It probably helps home court advantage a lot. Theoretically, the 3 away road games is almost an advantage for the road team, but usually the home team wins one of those.

The Finals format they're using this year will be a lot better for the home team because having game 5 at home is always critical. 2-3-2 is just really bad and I'm glad they finally made the change.

It won't make a huge difference I think, but I do think it will matter to not have 3 away games in a row. Had we kept our lead in 6., coming back from those road games had a detrimental factor on Miami, I can't help but think that.

Well thought out opinion. I agree.

Jacob1983
05-31-2014, 12:37 AM
My Mavs are the only team to eliminate the Spurs at the AT&T/SBC/HEB Center in a game 7.

Franklin
05-31-2014, 01:41 AM
I think the old 2-3-2 format was mostly responsible for the fact that NBA finals rarely went 7 games. Actually 2-3-2 slightly favors the team without HCA because the HCA team has to win both games at home and at least one game on road in order to avoid fighting at the brink of cliff for the last one or two games. Meanwhile, if both teams win all games at home and lose all games on road, the team with HCA would be down 2-3 after five games and they'd have to play two games, albeit at home, on the verge of precipice if they want to win.

Splits
05-31-2014, 02:17 AM
After watching the KD/Westbrook post game interviews after game 5 I was struck with how immature they are. They just aren't ready. They aren't NBA finals, at least versus a Lebron/Wade/Bosh Miami, maturity wise. The whole backpack, staring at the table, all hunched over....kids in a mans game at this point. Win like a man, lose like a man. They aren't there. Weren't in 2012. Still not.

What do you mean?

http://i.minus.com/imqcgts3pqEKv.gif

Josepatches_
05-31-2014, 06:22 AM
To me it's pretty much the same. It's not easy to win 3 straight games at home (we weren't able last year) so If you begin 2-0 the old format was great for the team with HCA too. Problem is when you lost one of the first 2 games at home.

You said game 5 is critical, sure and game 6?

Could miami defeat us easily last year with actual format? I don't think so. It's all about to win games. At the end you have to win 4 games and you have 4 home games

TampaDude
05-31-2014, 06:51 AM
2-2-1-1-1 is better than 2-3-2, because it puts pivotal Game 5 on the home floor of the team with HCA, which is where it should be. I never liked the 2-3-2 format.

05-31-2014, 10:00 AM
So does last year's finals go 7 games in the 2-2-1-1-1 format?

rayjayjohnson
05-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Either way, still means Miami is ringing on their home floor again

Infinite_limit
05-31-2014, 07:25 PM
2-3-2 is a bigger advantage for the HC team

A) Very rarely does a team win 3-straight at the Championship level. So the '3 straight @ Home' will go 2-1 or at worst 1-2 for the Home team
B) As long as HC wins atleast 1 of the opening 2 games, the series is 3-2 or at worst 2-3 heading home for 2 straight home games

Logically the HC team has been more consistent throughout the season. So I rather head home needing to win 2 versus heading on the road needing to win 1 of 2 against a superior opponent