PDA

View Full Version : Heat: How would LeBron fare if he played in the 80's?

KobeOwnsDuncan
05-31-2014, 01:42 PM
??

BanditHiro
05-31-2014, 01:48 PM
he would dominate. No defense was played in the 80s.

Infinite_limit
05-31-2014, 01:52 PM
On par with James Worthy. Catwoman on a Title Team

rogues
05-31-2014, 02:27 PM
He would dominate..

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 02:39 PM
He would be the best defensive player by a landslide

mercos
05-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Lebron would dominate in any past era.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 05:41 PM

LkrFan
05-31-2014, 06:22 PM
He would be an all star, but not the "superstar" he is today.

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 06:25 PM
He's Magic Johnson with slightly worse passing, way more athleticism, better shooting, levels better on defense and doesn't get diseases from getting fucked in the ass..he would destroy the 80s:lol..

HI-FI
05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
He's Magic Johnson with slightly worse passing, way more athleticism, better shooting, levels better on defense and doesn't get diseases from getting fucked in the ass..he would destroy the 80s:lol..
:lol

apalisoc_9
05-31-2014, 06:28 PM

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Also, 25% of the players in the NBA from 1980 to 1985 were White Americans, compared to 10% in today's league..it's tough to give credit to the players from the 80s when they were playing against such a large number of White American players:lol..

According to Wayne Embry, teams in the 80s had to implement more zone defense-type schemes so the White players could keep up, tbh:lol..

JoeTait75
05-31-2014, 07:15 PM
LeBron would have had guys like Kelly Tripucka trying to check him. I think he would have done alright, tbh.

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Kobe and Durant would have destroyed the 80s, too..even Vince Carter and McGrady would have dominated the 80s, tbh..

Infinite_limit
05-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I already said James Worthy

Also, 25% of the players in the NBA from 1980 to 1985 were White Americans, compared to 10% in today's league..it's tough to give credit to the players from the 80s when they were playing against such a large number of White American players:lol..

According to Wayne Embry, teams in the 80s had to implement more zone defense-type schemes so the White players could keep up, tbh:lol..
So the NBA was smarter, tougher, better shooters & more effort given on a nightly basis.

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 07:20 PM
I realize most people here are White Americans, but you'd have to be really naive to believe White Americans can compete with Black niggas at basketball, tbh..they can't even really compete with International players, either..

White coaches >>>> Black coaches
White players <<<< Black players

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Kobe and Durant would have destroyed the 80s, too..even Vince Carter and McGrady would have dominated the 80s, tbh..

Nah, Kirby would still be a selfish brick-chucker, tbh.... those other three probably would have, though....

lefty
05-31-2014, 07:26 PM
He would be a very good player in the 80's

Infinite_limit
05-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I realize most people here are White Americans, but you'd have to be really naive to believe White Americans can compete with Black niggas at basketball, tbh..they can't even really compete with International players, either..

White coaches >>>> Black coaches
White players <<<< Black players
Let's be honest, it comes down to whether Defense is called like in the 80's or Post 90's. Does Bill Laimbeer get a Foul for smacking James across the face in the paint or lengthy suspension?

Current day players can't even successfully commit a breakaway foul without giving up an And 1.

mercos
05-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Let's be honest, it comes down to whether Defense is called like in the 80's or Post 90's. Does Bill Laimbeer get a Foul for smacking James across the face in the paint or lengthy suspension?

Current day players can't even successfully commit a breakaway foul without giving up an And 1.

Physicality would not hurt Lebron's game. Look at the size of Lebron compared to most of the players of the 1980s. He would steamroll them on offense and defense.

Infinite_limit
05-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Physicality would not hurt Lebron's game. Look at the size of Lebron compared to most of the players of the 1980s. He would steamroll them on offense and defense.
Toughness isn't a size thing, it's mental. Barkley was 6 foot 6. James wants to be everyones butt buddy

eyeh8u
05-31-2014, 11:10 PM
You guys arent taking into account that the science of PED's was in its infancy.

spurraider21
05-31-2014, 11:11 PM
^:lol

Clipper Nation
05-31-2014, 11:12 PM
You guys arent taking into account that the science of PED's was in its infancy.
:lol Thinking LeGOAT needs PED's

Franklin
05-31-2014, 11:12 PM
the only point they have in common is that they both offer their dicks for other males to suck and you know it better than anyone, Harlem.

eyeh8u
05-31-2014, 11:14 PM

My apologizes, I was being sarcastic. Coming from a poster who is an avid user of sarcasm I would hope you would pickup on it

lefty
05-31-2014, 11:14 PM
http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Approval-thumbs-up-GIF-36.gif

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-05-2014, 11:39 PM
He would dominate..
You sure he wouldn't cramp up though? :rollin

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-05-2014, 11:40 PM
:lmao

jimbo
06-05-2014, 11:43 PM

That era's Steelers didn't seem to have a problem with that tbh...

Apparently there was a survey done by the University Of North Carolina Center for the Study of Retired Athletes. They surveyed 2,552 retired players from 1940 to 1990. The ones who answered yes that they did use steroids from this group were 9.1%. Of this group the ones that were offensive lineman, 16.3% said they used and of defensive lineman 14.8% said they used.

The percentages get better, or worse I suppose, when the players who played in the 1980’s (the steroid era) right before the NFL supposedly clamped down on steroid use. A total of 20.3% of the players surveyed from the 1980’s had used steroids. Not surprisingly most of them were lineman. I know that I know very little about working out and building up, but when I look at today’s lineman I still can’t help wondering if that percentage isn’t the same.

LkrFan
06-05-2014, 11:49 PM
The old Chicago Stadium and Boston Garden would be scheduled off games tbh. :lol

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-05-2014, 11:51 PM
The old Chicago Stadium and Boston Garden would be scheduled off games tbh. :lol

eyeh8u
06-05-2014, 11:59 PM
That era's Steelers didn't seem to have a problem with that tbh...

Jimbo, firstly I was being facetious about my comment insinuating PED use, I dont know who does, I dont really care.

But I was talking about the Science of PED's , not the how popular PED use is. We all know PEDs were popular in some circles dating back to the Early Cold War Olympics, but it was always a risky issue, even in the 80's the best PED's had many adverse side effects, especially when the users were not counseled by knowledgeable people. Today PEDs are quite advanced, with enough money one can get quality PEDs provided to them by actual MDs that have no moral issue as long as the money is right. Heck that German platelet stuff just shows how advanced its has gotten. With quality product and advise/treatment provided by trained professionals in the field of human health, it is no question the science of PED's is leaps and bounds above what it used to be.

jimbo
06-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I don't buy it regardless. How many of that generation's sports stars were that hurt from em? They're still walking around today.

Arnold got pumped with enough of em to look like this and he's still doing fine

http://www.vpfunworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/arnold-schwarzenegger-mr-olympia-1975-.jpg

jimbo
06-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Jimbo, firstly I was being facetious about my comment insinuating PED use, I dont know who does, I dont really care.

But I was talking about the Science of PED's , not the how popular PED use is. We all know PEDs were popular in some circles dating back to the Early Cold War Olympics, but it was always a risky issue, even in the 80's the best PED's had many adverse side effects, especially when the users were not counseled by knowledgeable people. Today PEDs are quite advanced, with enough money one can get quality PEDs provided to them by actual MDs that have no moral issue as long as the money is right. Heck that German platelet stuff just shows how advanced its has gotten. With quality product and advise/treatment provided by trained professionals in the field of human health, it is no question the science of PED's is leaps and bounds above what it used to be.

& apparently the main steroids Arnold was on were Deca Durabolin, Primoblan, Dianabol.

I know people that still use the first and third today. A whole lot of people still use the second too. I don't know about the PCT and how that's changed over the years though.

eyeh8u
06-06-2014, 12:09 AM
& apparently the main steroids Arnold was on were Deca Durabolin, Primoblan, Dianabol.

I know people that still use the first and third today. A whole lot of people still use the second too. I don't know about the PCT and how that's changed over the years though.

Im not quite sure we are debating the same thing, are you contending that the science of PED's has not changed drastically in the past 35-40 years?

lefty
06-06-2014, 12:19 AM

jimbo
06-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Im not quite sure we are debating the same thing, are you contending that the science of PED's has not changed drastically in the past 35-40 years?

I don't think we're debating at all, you'd need sources to back up what you're saying for that. If you'd show me wrong, I'd accept it--but off the top of our heads I'm taking my own "off the top of my head" knowledge about steroids over than yours. (until proven otherwise, I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm wrong. The only substances I know about are the ones I was willing to take. & looked up beforehand)

I don't care if the science has changed, I want to know if the end results have changed. (Either regarding gains or side effects.) You're saying that they're safer today. I'm asking you why or how.

Arnold took the same steroids that people still use today. I don't know anything about the PCT they did back then versus what they do today. That's where a lot of the side effects are minimized, so you'd think that's where the biggest changes have been if what you're saying is true. (Just my thought process, I don't know if it's actually right.)

jimbo
06-06-2014, 12:36 AM
& tbh if you don't care to link anything it's no big deal. It's completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

eyeh8u
06-06-2014, 12:46 AM
I don't think we're debating at all, you'd need sources to back up what you're saying for that. If you'd show me wrong, I'd accept it--but off the top of our heads I'm taking my own "off the top of my head" knowledge about steroids over than yours. (until proven otherwise, I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm wrong. The only substances I know about are the ones I was willing to take. & looked up beforehand)

I don't care if the science has changed, I want to know if the end results have changed. (Either regarding gains or side effects.) You're saying that they're safer today. I'm asking you why or how.

Arnold took the same steroids that people still use today. I don't know anything about the PCT they did back then versus what they do today. That's where a lot of the side effects are minimized, so you'd think that's where the biggest changes have been if what you're saying is true. (Just my thought process, I don't know if it's actually right.)

Yea , we are not debating the same thing at all. My point was never that PEDs of the past were not effective, and that Right Now off the top of my head I cant cite anything, and I will concede I have no first hand or second hand knowledge of PED use, if you have been around PEDs ( not assuming use ) and can name them, as you say "off the top of your head," you have me on that. And for me, the end result of PED use, depends on the user, muscular aesthetics may be the goal on one user, longevity and pain management might be end goal for another. Most of my knowledge is from reading articles and journals, "these are not headlining grabbing, fear monger articles for layman's, but from medicals publications, but as it is not the my area of expertise I just like a wide breath of knowledge I can not, I can not cite them. My recall on the matter is from readings 3-4 years ago. Its the science and advancement that fascinates me, the progress, the stuff like German Platelet stuff, and the Stem Cell stuff.

So in short we have an "agree to disagree" situation with me using too many commas. but I do thank you for not calling me a faggot or a cuck. its never too late though.

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 01:37 AM
The 80s was full of Marco Belinelli-type defensive players and athletes, tbh:lol..

davethedope
06-06-2014, 02:00 AM
you can't give Lebron 2014 athleticsim and modern training in the 1980's. That's like asking if a Roman army could withstand german artillery from WWII.

Fact is, with Lebron's BASKETBALL skill set he'd be an all-star, but nothing extraordinary.

He's not currently best at anything, he's 3rd in scoring and that's about it.

LeBron is an effective player because he's above average in a number of skills, but he's not the best at anything in particular.

Is he the fastest, best dribbler, best shooter, best rebounder etc. etc.? No.

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:03 AM
you can't give Lebron 2014 athleticsim and modern training in the 1980's. That's like asking if a Roman army could withstand german artillery from WWII.

Fact is, with Lebron's BASKETBALL skill set he'd be an all-star, but nothing extraordinary.

He's not currently best at anything, he's 3rd in scoring and that's about it.

LeBron is an effective player because he's above average in a number of skills, but he's not the best at anything in particular.

Is he the fastest, best dribbler, best shooter, best rebounder etc. etc.? No.

You realize that everything you just said describes Dad Killer, the greatest player of all-time, too, right?..

ElNono
06-06-2014, 02:05 AM
He would be fine, he's a genetic beast

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Kevin Love in the 80s would be remembered as being in the conversation of greatest PFs of all-time, tbh..

davethedope
06-06-2014, 02:06 AM
I don;t know who Dad Killer is

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Michael Jordan, arguably the most athletic player in the history of basketball:lol..

A nigga with Vince Carter's jumping ability, an Olympic long jumper's strides and Kawhi Leonard's hands..what would he have been without his genetic gifts?..

dg7md
06-06-2014, 02:08 AM
I don;t know who Dad Killer is

This place's "funny" name for Michael Jordan.

davethedope
06-06-2014, 02:10 AM
This place's "funny" name for Michael Jordan.

Damn I been here seven years and missed that tbh

Infinite_limit
06-06-2014, 02:11 AM
You realize that everything you just said describes Dad Killer, the greatest player of all-time, too, right?..
- Most clutch ever
- Invented the fadeaway jumper
- strongest mentally
- Best defensive guard of his time
- Best scorer of his time

etc

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:13 AM
- Most clutch ever
- Invented the fadeaway jumper
- strongest mentally
- Best defensive guard of his time
- Best scorer of his time

etc

Cool..doesn't change the fact that he's arguably the greatest athlete in NBA history and his athleticism was the base of his game, obviously, just like a lot of other legends..

Kobe is a more skilled player than Jordan, the difference is physical..

davethedope
06-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Michael Jordan, arguably the most athletic player in the history of basketball:lol..

A nigga with Vince Carter's jumping ability, an Olympic long jumper's strides and Kawhi Leonard's hands..what would he have been without his genetic gifts?..

So be it. Just this blind adoration of LeBron is a lot of hype.

He's good, don't get me wrong, but to say his basketball skills are better than everyone's is misleading and inaccurate.

Im not impressed by his dribbling at all. And his shooting is average at best, but he's consistent so over time it averages out pretty well, but he's in no way one of the greastest shooters of all-time.

Infinite_limit
06-06-2014, 02:15 AM
Cool..doesn't change the fact that he's arguably the greatest athlete in NBA history and his athleticism was the base of his game, obviously, just like a lot of other legends..
MJ wasn't that fast or big. He had good hang time on dunks. It's mentally what set MJ apart. It's mentally what is setting James back.

HI-FI
06-06-2014, 02:16 AM

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:18 AM
:lol ya, the reason Michael Jordan was so good was all "mental"..:lmao..

He wasn't a historically great athlete that ran a 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds and had a 40 + inch vertical..

RsxPiimp
06-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Lebron would dominate any era, to think otherwise is foolish. Never seen anyone like him.

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 02:22 AM
Lebron would dominate any era, to think otherwise is foolish. Never seen anyone like him.

What do you think Kobe would have been with Jordan's genetic traits, tbh?..

RsxPiimp
06-06-2014, 02:31 AM
What do you think Kobe would have been with Jordan's genetic traits, tbh?..

Probably have the same impact as MJ, bringing less efficiency. Kobe's approach has always been his achilles heel (no pun) His tunnel vision is even far narrower than MJ's :lol

RsxPiimp
06-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Look, I don't like the James love fest but y'all seriously reaching. Lebron would be above and beyond MJ in terms of everything especially in the 80's and 90's. Malik brought up good examples. Durant, Tmac and Wade would seriously give MJ a run for his money and those cats are not even in Lebrons league.

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Look, I don't like the James love fest but y'all seriously reaching. Lebron would be above and beyond MJ in terms of everything especially in the 80's and 90's. Malik brought up good examples. Durant, Tmac and Wade would seriously give MJ a run for his money and those cats are not even in Lebrons league.

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Kevin Love in the 80s would be remembered as being in the conversation of greatest PFs of all-time, tbh..
Your trolling sucks these days, more than you do LeBron's testicles.

RsxPiimp
06-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Ok, exaggerated a bit, but Wade at his best would.

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Your trolling sucks these days, more than you do LeBron's testicles.

:lol sorry for breaking your heart with the realization that Kevin Love would dominate the 80s..

Why wouldn't he, tbh?..25% of the players in the 80s were White Americans..Love is putting up monster numbers against a predominantly Black league with the best International players in the world, too..it would be pretty ignorant to assume that he couldn't be even greater against a league full of unathletic players..

Infinite_limit
06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
:lol sorry for breaking your heart with the realization that Kevin Love would dominate the 80s..

Why wouldn't he, tbh?..25% of the players in the 80s were White Americans..Love is putting up monster numbers against a predominantly Black league with the best International players in the world, too..it would be pretty ignorant to assume that he couldn't be even greater against a league full of unathletic players..
The NBA is softer, dumber and lazier today than in the past. That means a whole lot more than running fast & jumping high. It's a half court sport, so change of pace and pump fakes are more important than lateral speed.

It really sounds like some of you never played organized basketball

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 01:28 PM
:lol the guy that said Michael Jordan didn't have super-human athleticism is accusing others of not playing basketball..

Infinite_limit
06-06-2014, 01:31 PM
:lol the guy that said Michael Jordan didn't have super-human athleticism is accusing others of not playing basketball..
Organized basketball is different than playing shitty And1 pick up games at the park

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
You realize that there is less ISO-ball in today's NBA than ever before, right?..

Teams actually have schemes and systems now:lol..

It was a huge feat in the 80s to be one of the few players that could dribble a basketball without looking at the ball:lol..

jimbo
06-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Organized basketball is different than playing shitty And1 pick up games at the park

You straight retarded man? 80s basketball was just flat out running up and down the court and popping shots up along with playing no defense. It's why the pace was so damn high then.

Put Kevin Love on the Nuggets and he averages 37 a game or some bullshit like that

Alex's foreskin
06-16-2015, 11:11 PM