View Full Version : Jaric traded for Cassell

picnroll
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Jaric to Minnessota for Cassells and a 1st round pick.

link (https://registration.twincities.com/reg/login.do?url=http://www.twincities.com%2Fmld%2Ftwincities%2F12371809.h tm)

SequSpur
08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Nice, posting a link that requires registration. Also in the wrong forum.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Angur Midgets forum

picnroll
08-12-2005, 09:28 PM
link (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5558051.html) whine whine whine

Wolves trade Cassell to Clippers
Jeff Shelman, Star Tribune
August 13, 2005 WOLF0813

The Timberwolves have completed a deal to send Sam Cassell and a first-round draft pick to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for combo guard Marko Jaric.

The trade is of the sign-and-trade variety. The Clippers have signed Jaric to a multiyear deal -- believed to be six years for about $40 million -- and then sent him to Minnesota. Cassell is entering the final year of his contract and is scheduled to make $6.1 million.

The Wolves also get guard Lionel Chalmers in the deal.

The deal officially marks the end of the Timberwolves' Sam and Spree era. Two offseasons ago, the Timberwolves acquired veterans Cassell and Latrell Sprewell in hopes of making their team more than simply Kevin Garnett and his supporting cast.

The move certainly worked in 2004. Cassell averaged 19.8 points per game became an All-Star for the first time in his career. Sprewell played with energy and passion. And the Timberwolves won a playoff series for the first time in franchise history and advanced to the Western Conference Finals before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Sam CassellCarlos GonzalezStar TribuneHad it not been for the hip injury suffered by Cassell in that playoff run, the Timberwolves might have advanced to the NBA Finals.

Sam and Spree, however, proved to be little more than a one-year Band-Aid.

Last season was, for the lack of a better term, a disaster. Wolves owner Glen Taylor went as far as to call it a "failed experiment."

Sprewell balked about his contract even before last season began, and Cassell struggled with a right hamstring injury for much of last season.

Cassell played in a career-low 59 games last season, and his 13.5 points per game was his lowest since his second season in the league. Cassell, who will turn 36 early next season, had averaged 18 or more points per game for five consecutive seasons.

When Cassell was productive last season, the Timberwolves were fine. Too often, however, that wasn't the case. The Timberwolves went 13-6 last season when Cassell scored 18 or more points, but they were 5-15 when he scored in single digits.

In Wolves victories last season, Cassell averaged 16.1 points per game and shot 50.5 percent from the floor. He averaged only 10.5 points per game and shot 40.8 percent from the floor in losses.

Jaric is 6-8 and has averaged 8.5 points and 4.5 assists per game in his three-season career.

Jeff Shelman is at

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/cassell_lac_050812.jpg

Phone home.

Dex
08-12-2005, 09:42 PM
At least he already got used to losing again last season.

Trainwreck2100
08-12-2005, 09:46 PM
'And the lord sayeth I condemn you to hell."

ChumpDumper
08-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Pretty decent trade for both sides.

Banks91
08-12-2005, 10:09 PM
the wolves might as well do go big and totally smash apart that team. We already know spree is the next to go , but will they have the nuts to get rid of Garnett as well?.

picnroll
08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
They likely will add DA if they can. Looks like another big year of IR for the Pups.

timvp
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Interesting trade. I'm not a big Jaric fan. I've watched him a lot and he's a horrible defender against point guards. Then again, Cassell couldn't stop anyone either.

Jaric doesn't bring the T'Wolves any closer to a title. He's decent, but he's best known for being the biggest womanizer in the league.

baseline bum
08-13-2005, 12:04 AM
$40 million for freaking Marko Jaric? Has McHale been raiding Chris Mullin's liquor cabinet or something?

Nikos
08-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I thought Jaric would be better than he is right now, but he did put up a decent year before his annual injury stint. His upside is basically Doug Christie with less defense and maybe a little more scoring ability. Also, a guy who can play good D against 2 guards, pass well, hit the three, and be a solid team defender via deflections.

Overall I would say Jaric would be a better fit for Minnesotta than injured Sam, so as long as they surround him with a decent PG or at least a backup PG who can defend and hit the open shot.

timvp
08-13-2005, 12:49 AM
I worry for SickDSM's health.

Dex
08-13-2005, 01:04 AM
:lol Somebody check the shower rods in Minnesota.

It's okay, though. As long as they've got Garnett, they'll always be the lords of the NBA. :rolleyes

Russ
08-13-2005, 05:32 AM
6 years at $40 million is way too much for Jarich. Cassell may be pretty much useless at this point, but anything is better than locking up Jarich at that price.

As far as TimVP's point goes, I was told by a Clipper employee that Jarich got himself into big trouble during a preseason trip to Japan last year by fraterinizing with Clipper cheerleaders.

ShoogarBear
08-13-2005, 11:56 AM
"Fraternizing"? You mean like with keggers and paddles and weird rituals and shit?

CHAMPS AGAIN
08-13-2005, 12:19 PM
At least he already got used to losing again last season.

I think he will get traded before the trade deadline to a playoff team

Horry For 3!
08-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I read that on ESPN last night.

Notorious H.O.P.
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Sam CassellCarlos GonzalezStar

I didn't know ET was hispanic...

Sense
08-13-2005, 06:37 PM
This might be unpredictable....

2centsworth
08-13-2005, 08:35 PM
only reason t wolves were any good two years ago was because cassell hit every jump shot.

Chris
08-13-2005, 09:28 PM
This is a huge trade for the Clippers. They were actually looking decent coming into this next season. Now that they have a superstar who knows what they can do? And yes Cassell is a bonafide superstar.

Dex
08-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Well, they finally trumped the Lakers last season.

:lmao

Sorry, that will never get old.

Now they need to try for a playoff spot. :tu Or at least..a winning season? I suppose they should go one step at a time.

The Clippers over .500? I guess stranger things have happened.

sickdsm
08-14-2005, 10:15 PM
I was all for Yaric coming here. I didn't want to give up Sam though, i think he was going to have a pretty good year. I was camping all weekend and i was at a TV once and see the end of the blurb saying Yaric got traded so i wondered all weekend who it was for. Statwise, it looks like a bad deal but i'm about some defense. Jaric's size can be a godsend. His style of play is what the wolves need. So what if Sam hits 50% of his shots, he doesn't play any defense. What I think is happaning is that with McCants and Casey on board, Jaric might end up guarding the two's and Mcants or even hudson will play at SG and guard the smaller PG's.

I'm undecided. I wanted both cassell and yaric BUT i wanted Sam coming off the bench. His defense was getting too rediculous.

Anyone bithcing about this being in the wrong forum can lick my ass. Its the fucking offseason and all the Spurs fans are the ones starting transaction posts about the other teams in this forum.

You might as well say that in every thread.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
You might as well say that in every thread.Sequ does.

sickdsm
08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Hardly, go back a few months

ChumpDumper
08-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Nope he was the forum topic cop then too.

mrose31
08-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Clippers team may not be great but they will definately pull off some upsets against some really good teams with that Starting Lineup.
Cassel Mobley Magette Brand Kaman

Livingston may be great player by next year too.

angel_luv
08-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Cassel to the Clippers. He'll never get his " preeeeeeeeeeecious" now!
:lol :lol :lol

SenorSpur
08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
At least now Cassell won't have to worry where his shots will come from - not that he's ever been overly concerned with that anyway.

Also, no one will ever be able to say that he brought the team down. The Clips are already down.