PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio to build two high tech 24-hour restrooms downtown.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
SA to Flush $1/2 Million Down Toilet--Literally
LAST UPDATE: 8/12/2005 8:00:09 PM

Posted By: Jim Forsyth

This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

A measure included in the two year City of San Antonio budget blueprint unveiled Thursday would spend a half million next year on two quarter million dollar super luxury public toilets for use by the city's homeless population, 1200 WOAI news reported today.

The luxury latrines would include many high tech amenities, they would be self cleaning, self deodorizing, and would include security features that would allow them to remain open 24 hours a day, and in all kinds of weather.

Increasing the number of rest rooms available to the homeless was a key demand of homeless activists when the city passed it's restrictions on downtown panhandling, begging, and other activities this past spring.

The Rev. John Flowers at Travis Park United Methodist Church, says the high rent rest rooms show that the city is compassionate toward the less fortunate.

"If you have an ordinance against urination or defecation in public, you have to have an option for people," he told 1200 WOAI's Bud Little.

Flowers and other homeless advocates say the public toilets would also be utilized by downtown tourists as well as regular people who work downtown and feel the urge to go.

"Homeless folks are actually fourth on the list of people in San Antonio who make use of public toilets."

He says public restrooms are an 'investment in the future.'

The median price of a home in San Antonio is a little more than $104,000 this year, which means each of these proposed golden thrones costs more than twice as much as the median price of a family home.

LINK (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=D50C7D9C-B86E-4844-800E-030B5F586E9A)

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
SA to Flush $1/2 Million Down Toilet--Literally

Because WOAI would rather have the city spend just as much to keep port-o-potties clean and usable.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Because WOAI would rather have the city spend just as much to keep port-o-potties clean and usable.

I blieve the title was a clever play on words.

Don't take it so literal.

T Park
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Id rather the city fixed their freakin streets before catering to people who don't want to freakin work.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I blieve the title was a clever play on words.

Don't take it so literal.

I have a strong distrust for WOAI News. They constantly suck their own dicks with their "news" coverage.

Trainwreck2100
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
People are going to have sex in those

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Id rather the city fixed their freakin streets before catering to people who don't want to freakin work.

Yeah! Damn tourists! Either get a job or get the hell out of SA!

Flowers and other homeless advocates say the public toilets would also be utilized by downtown tourists as well as regular people who work downtown and feel the urge to go.

"Homeless folks are actually fourth on the list of people in San Antonio who make use of public toilets."

He says public restrooms are an 'investment in the future.'

T Park
08-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah! Damn tourists! Either get a job or get the hell out of SA!

Please.

Use the fuckin resteraunts like they always have.

People wont use them. If people are gonna piss in the street, they will.

Of course homeless advocates will say that.

They are trying to sell more money for the public on lazy, dumbfucks who will wiz under the bridge anyways.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Please.

Use the fuckin resteraunts like they always have.

People wont use them. If people are gonna piss in the street, they will.

Of course homeless advocates will say that.

They are trying to sell more money for the public on lazy, dumbfucks who will wiz under the bridge anyways.

TPark, you are one anger person. What did life do to you that made you this way?

I think you'd have been perfect for the 1950's. All that red... commie power!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
How many businesses downtown let people use their facilities without being paying customers?

The city can't simply ignore the homeless issues and hope they'll go away or die.

Plus, the city is already dedicating $16.7M for street maintenence, which included an additional $10M that the city found for repairs.

Dex
08-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm gonna give this one the :td

Is two restrooms really gonna make that much of a difference?

For 1/2 million dollars, those bitches better come on wheels and make house-calls...or cardboard-box-calls....as the case would seem to be.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Also, funding for public restrooms was identified for review by seven or more council members.

According to the budget, these are going to be located at VIA transfer points...it's not only the homeless that are going to use these.

Horry For 3!
08-12-2005, 10:56 PM
That is lame and a waste of money. :td

Dex
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Still, those restrooms are going to cover all of what...maybe 2-3 city blocks?

Do you really think homeless people are going to hike more than that to go to the bathroom when they could just find the nearest secluded bush or dark alleyway?

I'm not saying it's sanitary by any means, but people (in general) are lazy.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
For 1/2 million dollars, those bitches better come on wheels and make house-calls...or cardboard-box-calls....as the case would seem to be.

For $500,000 they're self clean, self defecting, and so safe to the point they can be used 24/7.

I don't know how you're precieving the way they look, but they're huge.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm not saying it's not a lot of money.

I'd sure like to see exactly how well this $250K is spent and if there'd be a more efficient way of doing so, but it seems to me that a majority of the council thinks this is a problem, and as much as I find this council problematic - it's better than what we used to have.

Also, this proposed budget doesn't have a financial shortfall and will not result in major job losses for the citizens of this city.

Dex
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Don't mind the bad jokes. My sense of humor tends to run a bit rampant once the boredom strikes.

I understand where the money would be going...I just can't help but wonder if there aren't better ways it could be spent?

But I, admittedly, don't know jack about city politics, so maybe I'm best left out of this one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
That's just the point - it's not only for homeless people.

When I took the bus from Jekka's place to downtown for the Dome Party, I had to pee pretty badly. No place downtown was going to let me use their facilities - especially somebody dressed in a Spurs shirt during the celebration, especially a young, Hispanic male in downtown SA.

Luckily, I can use the facilities at the USO near Casa Rio.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Don't mind the bad jokes. My sense of humor tends to run a bit rampant once the boredom strikes.

I understand where the money would be going...I just can't help but wonder if there aren't better ways it could be spent?

But I, admittedly, don't know jack about city politics, so maybe I'm best left out of this one.

Neither do I, but I went over the city's site and have parts of the budget in front of me now.

TPark, why don't you go to one of the public hearings and make your thoughts known?

-----

Citizens are invited to participate in the process at the following public hearings:

* Tuesday, August 23, 6:00 p.m. - Public Hearing on Proposed Budget
* Thursday, Sept. 1, 6:00 p.m. - Public Hearing on Proposed Tax Rate
* Tuesday, September 6, 6:00 p.m. - Public Hearing on Proposed Budget
* Thursday, Sept. 1, 6:00 p.m. - Public Hearing on Proposed Tax Rate

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
This upcoming city budget will actually have a surplus. A 27 million surplus.

Look, it's very simple, the reason homeless people where banned from downtown at night was because they pee'd and sometimes deficated right in front of tourists. Tourists complained, so the city came up with a longterm solution to help the homeless.

Also, how many times a day does this happen:

Tourist walking around downtown... feels the urge to use the restroom.

The tourist walks up to someone:

Tourist: Hello, do you know where they're might be a restroom.

Person: Um... um... you might wanna try that place or if not, there's a McDonalds a couple of blocks that way. They have one.

Tourist: Ok thanks.

Now they have a free, clean, safe, place to do their business.

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Do you really think homeless people are going to hike more than that to go to the bathroom when they could just find the nearest secluded bush or dark alleyway?

They dont have enough gumption to walk down the street and freakin get a job let alone do that.

More tax dollars at work, spending on the "less fortunate" amazing how they arent homless anymore its "less fortunate"

More spending on the homeless. Of course. That makes the problem better.

More money for people who wont work, because they know, people will have to do shit for them.....

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
TPark, why don't you go to one of the public hearings and make your thoughts known?

Im working on those dates.

Gotta make more money, so the people I offer jobs to, can sit on the corner, beg for money, then go snort more 8 balls.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
More tax dollars at work, spending on the "less fortunate" amazing how they arent homless anymore its "less fortunate"

http://www.sanantonio.gov/budget/pdf/fy2006/FY2006PropExecSum.pdf

"Homeless" or some derivitive of it shows up ten times in that document.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Im working on those dates.

Gotta make more money, so the people I offer jobs to, can sit on the corner, beg for money, then go snort more 8 balls.

Two thoughts.

1. Call your councilman.

2. I don't think they need you to go work so that some of them can do that.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I have a question for you, Park.

Would you rather the homeless beg for change, defecate in public, etc. or would you rather some of them take some of the opportunities afforded them and try to make a change (job, home, etc.)?

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:15 PM
They dont have enough gumption to walk down the street and freakin get a job let alone do that.

More spending on the homeless. Of course. That makes the problem better.

More money for people who wont work, because they know, people will have to do shit for them.....

Yes TPark, all homeless people are lazy bums.

Goddamn, you're a sad fuck.

There's people who get laid off and can't find work.

There's mother's of children who can't find work who have to live on the shirt with their children.

There's children who can't work and have no other choice but to live under bridges or in cardboard boxes.

Do you think homeless people want to be homeless, poor, freezing cold in the winter and hoping to god they have room at the SAM shelter?

Fuck man. They don't. Some, a small percentage are lazy and rather panhandle for the rest of their life but guy, the rest don't say:

Hey, I really don't fill like making money and buying things or putting a solid roof over my head for me and my kids, I'd rather push a cart around filled with a bunch of shit. That's sounds good!

If you took your head out of your big ass TPark for maybe two seconds, you'd see that those people would love nothing more than to live in a 500 sq. ft apartment and work the nightshift at McDonalds. But sometimes life just fucking sucks and it can't happen that way. Sometimes you have no tranportation to get you to and from work. Sometimes your a vet with a handicap who can't do crap but beg for handouts.

Fucking TPark, you self centered, self helping fuck.

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:16 PM
A 27 million surplus

Novel idea here, return that money to the tax payers.

There should never be a surplus.

Tourists complained, so the city came up with a longterm solution to help the homeless.

Booo hooo, joe schmo can get a job, but "hasnt found anything good" yet, so stays in the mission downtown.

So now I have to take money, that i work my ass off for, to pay for bathrooms for this clown, because he doesn't want to work.

Also the same clown I go downtown and offer a job to, turns it down because "well, I need something here in town" now I have to take my money and support this guy??

Hmm, sounds GREAT.

Dex
08-12-2005, 11:19 PM

It's that line of thinking that has this country stuck in a 60 zillion dollar defecit.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Novel idea here, return that money to the tax payers.

Booo hooo, joe schmo can get a job, but "hasnt found anything good" yet, so stays in the mission downtown.

So now I have to take money, that i work my ass off for, to pay for bathrooms for this clown, because he doesn't want to work.

Also the same clown I go downtown and offer a job to, turns it down because "well, I need something here in town" now I have to take my money and support this guy??

Hmm, sounds GREAT.

So those homeless child don't deserve a place to use the restroom?

Those mother's who can't get jobs don't deserve a place either?

How about the vets. who can't work, they don't either.

So because you've encountered homeless people who don't want to work, you now generalize the entire bunch of them?

Why not take your taco bell loving ass downtown and start a dialouge with some of those people and find out the real story instead of making your own generalizations about a group of people your spoiled rich as knows nothing about.

Do it, go ask them if it's easy beans trying to find a job to support a family to find a job that will get you a home or an apartment and a car and clothes and food.

Go ask them.

Because I'm fucking sure they'd take your life or my life or some McDonald's manager's life over their own in a micro second,

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:22 PM
It's that line of thinking that has this country stuck in a 60 zillion dollar defecit.

That and elected Sir. Retard-a-lot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Joe Schmo doesn't make up the majority of the homeless population in SA.

In 2003, a city census showed that 49% of SA and Bexar County's homeless population were members of families with children. 37% of the homeless are children. 15% are EMPLOYED!

http://www.sanantonio.gov/comminit/pdf/Plan_to_End_Homelessness.pdf

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Joe Schmo doesn't make up the majority of the homeless population in SA.

In 2003, a city census showed that 49% of SA and Bexar County's homeless population were members of families with children. 37% of the homeless are children. 15% are EMPLOYED!

http://www.sanantonio.gov/comminit/pdf/Plan_to_End_Homelessness.pdf

TPark just likes talking out his big ass from behind his small computer.

Fucking spoiled asshole.

Thinks everyone is handed a silver spoon upon birth.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:27 PM
37% of the homeless are children.

Get their asses into sweat shops! I'm sure Kathy Lee could use some fresh blood. But no, they're too goddamn lazy and stupid to do anything. Fucking commies suck.[/TPark]

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
If you took your head out of your big ass TPark for maybe two seconds, you'd see that those people would love nothing more than to live in a 500 sq. ft apartment and work the nightshift at McDonalds. But sometimes life just fucking sucks and it can't happen that way. Sometimes you have no tranportation to get you to and from work. Sometimes your a vet with a handicap who can't do crap but beg for handouts.

Fucking TPark, you self centered, self helping fuck

Well Buddy the dumbfuck.

Once again talking out of your ass.

The people my company hired for the longest time was ALL, homeless people.

So I have a first hand knowledge.

1st, you get the "Well I need something that I want to do"
Oh well ok jack, Im sure IBM will roll up any day now with that CEO position ready.

2. The ones that DO accept the job, they will work 3 days, say that, "Well, Im tired, I cant work anymore, the hours arent good"

Oh yeah the hours spent at the SAM are much better for you forgive me.

No Mr Holly, I have no clue about homeless people :rolleyes

GO fuck off.

Would you rather the homeless beg for change, defecate in public, etc. or would you rather some of them take some of the opportunities afforded them and try to make a change (job, home, etc.)?

Id like for them to get jobs.

Funny when I go down there, offer 300 a week, free room and board, free washing machine, free medical care, and quick advancement.

I always get the "No no thanks"

Once again, get in my position, and you see from my point of view.

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Why talk dialogue with Mr Buddy.

Fuck this.

You cant talk with this fuckin idiot.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:33 PM

So how many of those no's came from woman/mothers and how many of them came from children.

I'm sure you asked them to.

No Mr Holly, I have no clue about homeless people

I'm sure you have a slight knowledge about homeless people and how their life got to where it is... oh wait, that slight knowledge is of only homeless males who look strong and who you think would be able to work in construction, huh? Very vast knowledge there dickhead.

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
TPark just likes talking out his big ass from behind his small computer.

Fucking spoiled asshole.

Thinks everyone is handed a silver spoon upon birth.

Go fuck yourself.

Once again you dont know shit.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Why talk dialogue with Mr Buddy.

Fuck this.

You cant talk with this fuckin idiot.

Than don't talk to me, talk to the other guy tearing your big ass up.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Go fuck yourself.

Once again you dont know shit.

You're a self-serving jackass who takes a few experiences and then uses it to generalize a larger group and treat them like shit.

The city does a fucking good thing overall for the longterm goal of a better quality of life and all you can do is fucking moan and bitch like a fucking rich private school fuckhead who didn't get his Benz detailed properly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:38 PM
$5.15/hour * 40 hours/week = $206/week * 52 weeks = $10,712/year

After a brief look at ApartmentGuide.com, the cheapest apartment (many didn't have prices listed, though) was $338/month.

$338/month * 12 months = $4,056/year.

Forget for a second that most properties ask that you make at least 2.5+ times the rental rate before you move in. Forget for a second that most apartments enforce a limit of no more than 2 people per bedroom rule. Forget that there is even affordable housing programs at some apartment complexes

$10,712 - $4,056 = $6,656

I'm a single, college-aged male with computer access living in a one-bedroom, 500 square foot apartment and I average out to about $40/month in utilities (I also live in a city which AFAIK doesn't depend as heavily on utility bills to fund themselves as does SA)

$40/month * 12 months = $480

That leaves just over $6,000 a year to spend on being able to work, provide schooling for your children (which includes clothing, supplies, etc.) and other expenses.

You're telling me that trying to give people a helping hand is wrong?

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:39 PM
moan and bitch like a fucking rich private school fuckhead who didn't get his Benz detailed properly.

Funny.

Never owned a benz, and went to a public school.

Wanna keep talking out of your ass there picture boy?

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
You're telling me that trying to give people a helping hand is wrong?

Nope.

Just dont use my money to do it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Park, I'm not calling you a liar, but for $7.50/hour plus everything else you said, you can probably get most college students to work for you.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Funny.

Never owned a benz, and went to a public school.

Wanna keep talking out of your ass there picture boy?

I used that to compare your bitching and moaning, I didn't say that were your fucking life situation.

You went to a public school!?!? Oh god, how'd you survive that?

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:44 PM
The sad thing is the homeless wont even appreciate it that much

YOU HOMLESS HATING BASTARD!! TAKE IT BACK< YOU DONT SHIT!!! FUCK YOU(thewriter)

T Park
08-12-2005, 11:45 PM
You went to a public school!?!? Oh god, how'd you survive that?

I dont know.

I blame alot of my idiocy on that stupid place.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Id like for them to get jobs.

Funny when I go down there, offer 300 a week, free room and board, free washing machine, free medical care, and quick advancement.

Once again, get in my position, and you see from my point of view.

Always? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I'm not doubting that there are people who don't want the job for whatever reason, and you know what, it's pretty fucking stupid of them to turn down offers like that "just because."

Since 22% of people in that survey I mentioned earlier (20% mentally ill and 2% with AIDS/HIV) are homeless, I wonder...does your free medical care cover those illnesses.

Again, I'm not trying to say that you offering jobs to people and getting shot down is wrong or anything - I applaud you for that. My dad does the same thing at his small business in Austin.

I just don't think you can lump the entire homeless population, some of which are in their positions through no fault of their own, into a population that you're seemingly asking to be eradicated with a request for no further funding.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Why are they building such a hi tech restroom when they could get like 20 low tech ones?

Are you going to take a job cleaning and securing it?

3rdCoast
08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I just don't think you can lump the entire homeless population, some of which are in their positions through no fault of their own, into a population that you're seemingly asking to be eradicated with a request for no further funding.

Everyone is in their position in life because of choices and decisions they have made in the past.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Everyone is in their position in life because of choices and decisions they have made in the past.

So Arthur Ashe made a choice to be infected with the AIDS virus after a blood transfusion?

So the over 3,000 people who died on 11 September 2001 made a choice to be killed by terrorists attacking our nation because they boarded airplanes on cross-country flights, went to work in the Pentagon, went to serve food in a resturaunt at the top of the WTC?

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:53 PM

Um... no.

3rdCoast
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
So Arthur Ashe made a choice to be infected with the AIDS virus after a blood transfusion?

So the over 3,000 people who died on 11 September 2001 made a choice to be killed by terrorists attacking our nation?

Out of the 3000 people who died on 9/11- How many are homeless on the streets of SA?

Everyone is responsible for themselves.

Fuck the homeless, opps, I mean, lazy.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Out of the 3000 people who died on 9/11- How many are homeless on the streets of SA?

Fuck the homeless, opps, I mean, lazy.

Answer my question. You said...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM

I suppose you sent TPark a check or money order to pay for your education?

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:56 PM

How many are now homeless because of what happened on 9/11?

I'll tell you it's more than the number that died.

Was it their choice to become homeless? No.

Yes everyone is responsible for theirselves and their actions but everyone is not in their position in life because of choices and decisions they have made in the past.

3rdCoast
08-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Answer my question. You said...

Yes.

The people who died on 9/11 are dead because they chose to go to work that day or chose to walk the streets or whatever.

It is the same as when you drive. Everyday when you get into your truck, you are making the choice to risk your life.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2005, 11:58 PM
The people who died on 9/11 are dead because they chose to go to work that day or chose to walk the streets or whatever.

And that's their fault?

Well, damnit, I want my donations to the relief funds back. Fuckers shouldn't have gone out that day and tried to work so that they wouldn't be homeless.

Oh...whoops.

TheWriter
08-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Oh god, 3rd, you're not that stupid, are you?

Just stop, save yourself.

3rdCoast
08-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Everyday is a crap shoot.

Shit happens

Deal with it

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:01 AM
And that's their fault?

Well, damnit, I want my donations to the relief funds back. Fuckers shouldn't have gone out that day and tried to work so that they wouldn't be homeless.

Oh...whoops.

They did their daily routine! They deserved to die!

And the thousands of people who are now homeless because off the attacks of 9/11, they deserve that too for being at the end result of a failing economy caused by those bastards who decided to go to work at the trade towers.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:01 AM

Shit happens

Deal with it

You've still failed to answer two of my questions.

1. Did you send T Park a check to pay him for his tax money that went to educate you since we are all responsible for ourselves?

2. Is it the fault of 3,000 people that they were trying to go to work to make a living so they wouldn't be homeless and have Park pick up the tab on homeless initiatives?

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:02 AM

Shit happens

Deal with it

But that doesn't flow with your "Everyone is in their position in life because of choices and decisions they have made in the past." logic you had going before.

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:03 AM
So everyone is is where they are because of what they've done in the past but shit still happens, it's a crap shoot!

:lol

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:08 AM

9/11 victims are dead because the Good Lord called them up.

Homeless become homeless for whatever reason, BUT, they remain homeless because they choose to.

You can give the poor people the rich people's money, and in five years the rich people will have it back. There are reasons people are poor. The poor have the right to go to school, to get a job, to succeed in society. It's not the government's job to create a safety net

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:09 AM
So everyone is is where they are because of what they've done in the past but shit still happens, it's a crap shoot!

:lol

LIFE is a crapshoot, but, what you do with your time here on Earth is up to you.

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:11 AM
3rd coast u are right about most homeless people. Most homeless people are homeless because of their poor decisions.

So the 37% of the homeless people that are children choice to be homeless?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:11 AM

But you just said people died because of the decisions and choices they made, that certainly doesn't jive with "God wanted them."

What about the baby who's mom laced her bottle with meth in Poteet?

Did the little girl make a bad decision or was it just God calling her home? It can't be both.

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Yes, except children under the age of about 7.

They're dead because planes crashed into buildings and into the ground.

Homeless become homeless for whatever reason, BUT, they remain homeless because they choose to.

Some, a small percentage, but not all.

You can give the poor people the rich people's money, and in five years the rich people will have it back.

Wouldn't they be poor if their money was given to the poor people?

There are reasons people are poor.

Many, many reasons. Not just one ignorant reason.

The poor have the right to go to school, to get a job, to succeed in society. It's not the government's job to create a safety net

Yes it is. Because like isn't perfect, esp in the US. If there wasn't welfare or section 8 housing, the US would be one big hell hole.

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:16 AM
A baby can not make decisions, you are going to the extreme with this now.

You know damn well what I am trying to get across here and you are nit picking at any miscue I might offer.

I am simply trying to state that people make choices in life and must deal with the consequences.

God has the final say in everything, however, regardless of our life ending tonight or 98 years from now, we must make decisions that will affect us and those we are responsible for in a positive way.

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Where there is a will, there is a way.

If a homeless person wanted a job bad enough he could find one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:19 AM
A baby can not make decisions, you are going to the extreme with this now.

You know damn well what I am trying to get across here and you are nit picking at any miscue I might offer.

I am simply trying to state that people make choices in life and must deal with the consequences.

God has the final say in everything, however, regardless of our life ending tonight or 98 years from now, we must make decisions that will affect us and those we are responsible for in a positive way.

Fine, then don't say "Everyone".

Let's eliminate them from this discussion.

Did Arthur Ashe choose to get AIDS-infected blood?

And rights are good and all, but that right didn't pay for your school books. Money did.

So you can have money to go to school, but a homeless person can't?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:23 AM
You guys have no idea how hard the homeless have it. What if you had a few belongings, no food, no house, and was thrown out on the street? And u are given 50 bucks. What would u do? And u cant get a job most of the time cuz u need an address.

Yeah, I've got the strangest feeling that's what's been said over the past 70-some-odd posts.

You're right. I don't have an idea. I do have the thought that it just might be tough for some of those people out there to simply go out and get a job, home, food, medical, etc.

3rd, how do you think homeless people get the job skills to do better? How do you think they get interview skills so that they can get a job? How do you think they try and get off drugs so that they can get a job?

It sure as hell ain't sunshine and farts.

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I am not getting the school books part.

I went to school and in middle school there were at least 5 kids that I knew of that were homeless or at least stayed at a YMCA.

Public school is public, isnt it?

Doesn't everyone have the oppertunity to go there and get an education?

I am just not understanding what you are asking.

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I've got the strangest feeling that's what's been said over the past 70-some-odd posts.

You're right. I don't have an idea. I do have the thought that it just might be tough for some of those people out there to simply go out and get a job, home, food, medical, etc.

3rd, how do you think homeless people get the job skills to do better? How do you think they get interview skills so that they can get a job? How do you think they try and get off drugs so that they can get a job?

It sure as hell ain't sunshine and farts.

I have worked with day laborers. I have cut lawns. In fact, no less that a month ago, in the 100 degree heat, I along with 1 immigrant from Mexico and 1 homeless person, cut 11 yards around town. We worked from 6:30am until 7pm with the only breaks for food and water when we were driving to the next job.

There are manual labor jobs out there that do not require you to have interview skills. It is called muscle and will and desire.

If you want that cash, then you will do whatever the job calls for.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:28 AM
I am not getting the school books part.

I went to school and in middle school there were at least 5 kids that I knew of that were homeless or at least stayed at a YMCA.

Public school is public, isnt it?

Doesn't everyone have the oppertunity to go there and get an education?

I am just not understanding what you are asking.

What I am asking is how do you think they got the vaccinations to be allowed into school? Did the vaccine just appear out of thin air?

Guess what, those free shot clinics are funded for with money, most from the government and some from donations.

You had a thought when I wrote that some people are homeless through no fault of their own that they were there because of choices and decisions they made.

How are homeless people supposed to provide proof of residence (NISD, the district that I believe you went to and the district I went to, requires that) when they're homeless?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I have worked with day laborers. I have cut lawns. In fact, no less that a month ago, in the 100 degree heat, I along with 1 immigrant from Mexico and 1 homeless person, cut 11 yards around town. We worked from 6:30am until 7pm with the only breaks for food and water when we were driving to the next job.

There are manual labor jobs out there that do not require you to have interview skills. It is called muscle and will and desire.

Can you show me where I said that people shouldn't work for their money?

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:31 AM

My point with this is I am a high school graduate.

I am 20 years old and am self sufficient.

If I can do these jobs, these hard back breaking jobs, early and often, why cant a homeless person?

And don't say that they are not offered because they are. I am in the truck 3-4 times a week with my boss when we offer jobs to them on the corner of the streets downtown and Walzem and I35 and near SAC. My boss offers them 80 dollars for 8 hours of work. Sometimes even more. And do they take it? Nope, maybe once in a blue moon. The chances are there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 12:32 AM

If I can do these jobs, these hard back breaking jobs, early and often, why cant a homeless person?

And don't say that they are not offered because they are. I am in the truck 3-4 times a week with my boss when we offer jobs to them on the corner of the streets downtown and Walzem and I35 and near SAC. My boss offers them 80 dollars for 8 hours of work. Sometimes even more. And do they take it? Nope, maybe once in a blue moon. The chances are there.

Again, I point you to post #83.

Where did I say jobs aren't offered?

I've got a question. Why do you offer jobs to homeless people?

Why not put a classified ad out?

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:33 AM
What I am asking is how do you think they got the vaccinations to be allowed into school? Did the vaccine just appear out of thin air?

Guess what, those free shot clinics are funded for with money, most from the government and some from donations.

You had a thought when I wrote that some people are homeless through no fault of their own that they were there because of choices and decisions they made.

How are homeless people supposed to provide proof of residence (NISD, the district that I believe you went to and the district I went to, requires that) when they're homeless?

I went to high school at Clemens, so no, no NISD.

I am for helping people get on their feet, but only for so long.

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 12:38 AM
80 for eight hours? i will do that shit without a doubt. i make like 45 bucks for eight hours. sign me up!

Yea, the days I do that stuff are good.

There are other days when jobs are bigger I really get some paper.

MannyIsGod
08-13-2005, 02:21 AM
The point being if you are going to make something illegal, there better be a solution for the person besides breaking the law. You can't just walk into a restroom downtown. I want you to try to use the restroom at the McDonalds by the Alamo and see what happens.

Council passed a law making public defication and urination illegal. What are homeless people to do? You have to give them an alternative.

Now, you can eitehr put up a facility that will be used and will have a low cost to maintain, or you can put up facilities - portable restrooms - which are not going to be used by tourists as much and are going to cost money to maintain and are going to be much more unsanitary and unsightly.

Sure, its expensive when you spin it the way WOAI loves to do. But when you look at the situation and weigh your options, you can understand why they do what they do.

BTW, Tpark. You have not made yourself, you were made. I wonder how your outlook on life would change had you not been born into a business but had a much more difficult time obtaining success. The world can be a cold fucking place, and I'd love to see your reaction to some of the things homeless have gone through. I'd love to see you say the things you say here to one of them. Even you don't have that small of a heart.

MannyIsGod
08-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Look, life is not only about your choices, but many times the way the cookie happens to crumble on any particular day.

There is no doubt that many homeless people are in the positions they are in due to bad choices, but to make a blanket statement saying they are all lazy is pure stupidity. Life is not made up of multiple choice or true/false questions where there is one corect answer and path to take. Many times you are dealt a shitty hand and have to do the best you can with that. Many times even if you want to make the right decisions, it is not completely easy.

These are not excuses, but a testement to the reality that life is neither simple nor easy. Not everyone is capable of recovering from a failed marriage, lost job, or drug addiction on a whim. Not everyone here is ever going to live a truly depressed day in their life. And not everyone here is always going to be able to find a way out of a shitty situation without first hitting rock bottom.

So what do you do? Do you turn your back on the people who can't keep up? Would you abandon your child simply because it was born with an imperfection? Would you disown a family member who made some wrong choices and wasn't up to par? Would you completely turn your back on a friend who needed a hand?

While those are all very different situations from dealing with the homeless, they all require compassion. And maybe some of the most self righteos of you posting in here might decide to toss some compassion torward one of those lazy bums because life isn't easy and you might one day need some back.

Vashner
08-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Just install the toilets under the various bridges where they live...
Putting some port a potties in there would be a lot cheaper...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Just install the toilets under the various bridges where they live...
Putting some port a potties in there would be a lot cheaper...

Again, I ask the question.

Who's going to clean and secure them? And at what cost?

Clandestino
08-13-2005, 09:23 AM
there are many programs for poor people. the homeless choose not to take them. most homeless choose to be. just like everyone else.. you choose your own life...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2005, 09:40 AM
there are many programs for poor people. the homeless choose not to take them. most homeless choose to be. just like everyone else.. you choose your own life...

Go tell that to those 49% of families with children, Clan.

Jelly
08-13-2005, 09:50 AM

I've always believed in that for 'normal' people. But homeless people more often than not suffer from debilitating mental illness. I know the chart shows 25% for SA, but I believe that figure is higher, and if it's anything approaching most urban areas, it has got to be between 60% and 80%.

In my three years living in downtown DC, the homeless population (and there are a LOT of homeless there) is overwhelmingly male, usually middle aged or elderly, and the vast majority display signs of mental illness. Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders can be plainly seen in many of them. Lots of them are Viet Nam vets. A lot of them are drug addicts. Many of them are all three.

In the past, homeless lobbyist groups have been known to distort the demographics of homeless people making them more white, more female, more families, more 'people that just got laid off'. The strategy is to make them seem more 'people like us', in order to generate sympathy and funding for their programs. For instance, if a single mother and her kids are living with friends or family, they will count them as homeless. I'm not saying this is what San Antonio lobbyists have done, but other activist groups have been exposed for such tactics.

What I'm saying is that most of these people probably can't "just go get a job" and their circumstances have nothing to do with decisions they've made. It's coldhearted and ignorant to just dismiss all of them as being lazy and refuse to provide them services.

The other thing is that any city whose primary revenue depends on tourism needs to take whatever steps are useful in making the tourist areas nice places to visit. Homeless people urinating on the streets is bad for business.

Admittedly, my perception of the characteristics of homeless people is based on cities other than San Antonio. If you guys feel that what you see on the streets does indeed reflect the single-mom, families, and laid off worker theory, than most of this post probably doesn't apply.

ObiwanGinobili
08-13-2005, 10:31 AM
They have these toilets in San Fransisco and they are freakin AWESOME! they close up and clean themselves from ceiling to floor after every use!!

It's about time San Anotnio got somethign that cool. We are a classy city dammnit, bout time we proved it with some public johns that don't smell like 5 kinds of piss and illicit sex.

ObiwanGinobili
08-13-2005, 10:34 AM

have you been homeless??
wait till you are. then we'll accept your view as gospel.

[/ sweeping generalizations forum]

Clandestino
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
no, i have never chosen to be homeless...nor unemployed. there are so many jobs out there and programs that our tax dollars pay for to help these people, but they choose not to seek them out and find them.. they'd rather panhandle, stay on drugs, just be a bum...

Clandestino
08-13-2005, 10:44 AM
i have a friend who was a good athlete, but couldn't even score high enough to on the asvab to qualify for the army... he got a high school diploma, but i'm not sure how... anyway, he is running his own small business now.. anyone can anything they want...

i've been around poor people my whole life... mexican immigrants who came over with nothing, but a family and a willingness to do work... they have homes now and jobs..

i also have seen some members of my own family be worthless bums and choose to partake in activites that have landed them in jail and or poverty... it is their choosing.. i've seen the choices they make and heard the bullshit excuses...

3rdCoast
08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
You can give the poor people the rich people's money, and in five years the rich people will have it back. There are reasons people are poor. The poor have the right to go to school, to get a job, to succeed in society. It's not the government's job to create a safety net

AlamoSpursFan
08-13-2005, 11:43 AM

I had no idea there was such a list.

That's gotta be the shittiest consumer survey taker job there is.

:lmao

PM5K
08-13-2005, 02:03 PM
T Park, you have to be the biggest (both literally and figuratively) asshole I've ever known.

You know more about being lazy than anybody I know, maybe if you'd get off your fat ass you could drop a few pounds.

You say things like catering to people who don't want to work:

I was homeless for a while, I worked every day of the week doing day labor and I was most likely doing much harder work for much less pay then most of the people in this thread, how does that make me lazy?

Dumbfucks? Dumbfucks are people who lump everyone together. Everyone has a different story and a different reason why they are where they are in life, I got to know some of those people and some of them were lazy dumbfucks, but some people that have jobs and homes are lazy dumbfucks.

And since there seems to be some disagreement, you can do day labor and work your ass off and still be homeless. Most day labor jobs pay minimum wage. Sometimes I had the money for a hotel and sometimes I didn't.

PM5K
08-13-2005, 02:10 PM

I don't know who you offer these jobs to but there is a room FULL of forty or more people on Fredericksburg and IH10 who would beg you for a job paying ten bucks an hour, I don't think I ever made more than seven dollars an hour doing day labor with that place and if you drove up and offered me that I'd say yes before you fucking closed your mouth.

People really need to quit being idiots and lumping everyone together, I can GUARANFUCKINGTEE you that if you go to that place early in the morning on Fred RD you can get dozens of guys that will take that job for a ten spot an hour.

Clandestino
08-14-2005, 08:55 AM
why were you homeless and how did you get out?

MannyIsGod
08-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Obviously because he was lazy and he choose to stop being lazy.

TheWriter
08-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Obviously because he was lazy and he choose to stop being lazy.

It's that simple?

Just set it and forget it?

Now Bob, lets say I'm inviting a bunch of friends over...

j-6
08-14-2005, 11:52 AM
I told myself I was going to stay out of this thread since I've bitched about T Park enough over the last couple of months, but after I read PM5K's posts, I changed my mind.

First off, I'm not a religious man. I don't believe in some sort of eternal reward for helping the homeless, the crippled, the sick, or anything of that nature. But I do believe that helping the less fortunate makes this world a better place, and each homeless person has the same right to be on this spinning rock as I do.

Anyone that has done some sort of charitable work knows this. I've worked in soup kitchens, AIDS clinics, halfway houses, and both homeless and animal shelters. I'm not bragging here, but until you get a taste of what people live like without a pot to piss in, you have absolutely no right to demean them.

Some homeless people are the way they are through they're own bad choices. Others are that way because of other people's bad choices. But really, that doesn't matter. What matters is that we have the ways and means to help people for whatever reason, and folks hide behind crap like they're lazy, or they're not responsible, or that they've made their own bed and now they have to lie in it.

That is complete and utter bullshit, and everyone (myself included) that has ever thought that should be ashamed of themselves. If you were ever homeless, like PM5K was, and you needed assistance, you would get on your knees and pray every night for a better life. This is the richest and most powerful country in the world, where us citizens bitch when our air conditioning goes out, or that we don't have a high-definition television set, or that our cable internet is too slow. And we have our fellow citizens starving to death and we're making excuses. We're a bunch of selfish fucks.

The reason I'm so passionate on this subject is while working in a soup kitchen in Denver years ago, a guy named TJ would come in there wearing a beat-to-shit UT cap. Now, I only worked there on Sunday nights every other week, but after the second time I saw him I started making small talk. Now chatting with homeless people is kind of a hit or miss thing. Some appreciate the friendly banter, but a great deal are very ashamed of themselves and won't even look you in the eye, just kind of mumbling a response and hurrying off to find a table.

So I started talking with him and it turns out that he was from Austin. I saw him again the next time I was in there and it turned out that UT played Colorado the day before in football, and he got to listen to the first part of the game on a radio at the shelter he went to the night before. We talked for about an hour after I got done cooking, going over how he became homeless, how we got to Denver, family, etc.

I bought a new UT cap and brought it with me to the kitchen the next time I went in, and he never came by. Matter of fact, I never saw the guy again, which could mean a great deal of negative things and one big-ass positive one.

I've also had employees over the years that listed a shelter for their phone numbers and asked for the company address to be put on their paychecks, so they know exactly where it's going. I'm not going to paint a real pretty picture that they were all stellar workers, but I wouldn't generalize the whole mess of them as shiftless, lazy bastards trying to ride the clock and steal money out of my pocket. They have good days and bad days just like I do.

Part of the reason the Iraq war infuriates me is costs $4 billion dollars a month. If we spent one month's worth of what the Iraqi war is costing the government, the United States could eliminate homelessness for a period of eight to thirteen years, depending on economic fluctuation. Anyone who has worked in a homeless shelter the last couple years has heard that repeatedly. The directors won't shut up about it.

I'm not asking you to be a bleeding heart liberal, but don't think of homeless people as disposable citizens just because somebody somewhere fucked up and it affected them. Thanks.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Awesome post. Unfortunetly, there are some people who haven't a shred of compassion to give.

Clandestino
08-14-2005, 09:58 PM
many people always say, "why spend money on the iraqis, let them help themselves." why help the homeless? they have even more freedom to help themselves... they don't have to worry about being blown up all the time by terrorists...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
they don't have to worry about being blown up all the time by terrorists...

Oh, THAT's the reason we're there...to help those who can't help themselves...

By spending tax money...the same tax money that some in this thread are bitching about going to help the people down the street...

So I assume we'll be helping the people in Indonesia and Africa anyday now, right?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
So Clan, are we just supposed to help people that can't help themselves...

why help the homeless? they have even more freedom to help themselves...

...or are we just going to help people that have to worry about being blown up?

many people always say, "why spend money on the iraqis, let them help themselves."... they don't have to worry about being blown up all the time by terrorists...

kris
08-15-2005, 02:42 AM
Interesting subject.

I think the bathrooms are a great idea. It's good to see tax dollars that will make an instant impact on San Antonio. The city also recently renovated the main street mine leaks into and the highway renovations on I-10 and 410 are coming along nicely as well. These are really positive things that help a lot of people out so I'm encouraged.

As far as the new mayor electee goes, I was happy to hear he was making council members cut back on their lavish lunches and lifestyles (while working) thus saving more tax dollars. I don't really know too much else about him, but it's that kind of cost efficient thinking that makes differences down the road.

I really feel for homeless people. No matter if they are lazy and don't want to work for their money. I look where they ended up and I know that's not what they wanted. It's kind of sad to me.

Even though it's supposed to be bad, I usually give them a dollar or some change on the side of the road. Even if they go buy a beer at least that gives them some sort of pleasure.

It's a tough subject and hard to correct. Some people just don't make it for whatever reason. There has got to be winners and losers, it's just the way things work - but I wish the homeless people didn't lose so bad. And as challenging as the situation may seem, it's a lot better with people donating of their time, ideas, and money to work in soup kitchens, different ways to improve their quality of life, and whatever else.

That deserves a lot of recognition in my eyes because everybody can think of ways to make a difference, but to go down there and actually do the hands on work is a big deal.

I know you can't just wipe out homelessness in one swoop, but I think it would be really cool if there was a program where one person a week was eliminated from being homeless and was placed in a $300/month apartment with a 12 month lease or in some government housing. They could be selected because of merit they displayed in whatever criteria you want to use and given 3 sets of clothes and a $100 heb/wal-mart gift card. Then they get to go out and try to make a living on their own.

Hmmm look at the last two paragraphs I wrote. Oh well, I never said I did anything.

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 08:49 AM
no, i was just saying how poeple are always complaining, we shouldn't help xyz, but then we should help 123...

regardless...the amount of money being spent on these restrooms is waaaaay too much. and there are many programs for the homeless and low income. many people are too lazy to look.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
I haven't time to read the entire thread, but if San Antonio wants to continue to attract people to its downtown to visit and live and work then it better improve and add some amenities. Honestly. How much change downtown has there been over the last 20 years? It looks the same as it did back then for the most part. I was in Denver recently and the downtown area is simply awesome. Clean and well organized. Granted, Denver is somewhat larger than SA in population and economic activity, but its downtown puts SA's to shame.

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 09:00 AM
half a million dollars for 2 restrooms??? you have got to be kidding me...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
half a million dollars for 2 restrooms??? you have got to be kidding me...

Again, I ask (and not one of the detractors has answered), how much would it cost to keep lesser models secured and clean and will you do it?

3rdCoast
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Again, I ask (and not one of the detractors has answered), how much would it cost to keep lesser models secured and clean and will you do it?

Why dont we give the homeless dudes 5 buacks a day to clean it.

Gives them cash and gets it clean at the same time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Why dont we give the homeless dudes 5 buacks a day to clean it.

Gives them cash and gets it clean at the same time.

Because somebody getting paid $5/day is going to be at the restroom's beck and call 24 hours/day.

I'd sure hate to be that tourist who needs one at 2:30 a.m.

3rdCoast
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Tourists can go to their hotels

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Tourists can go to their hotels

So are you volunteering to get paid $5/day to clean them?

And it's not only the homeless that are going to be able to use these.

Spurminator
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Denver's downtown puts a lot of cities to shame.

3rdCoast
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
So are you volunteering to get paid $5/day to clean them?

And it's not only the homeless that are going to be able to use these.

I said pay the homeless, I am not homeless.

kris
08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure a homeless guy would accept $5 a day to sanitize the bathroom completely after every use. I don't think he would do near as good a job as the machine would if he did. I also don't think people would have the level of trust that he did.

You have to understand maintaining a clean restroom facility open 24 hours a day/365 days a year to anyone and everyone is very difficult. There is also overhead in the supplies used. I don't know if supplies are included in the cost, but the proposed bathrooms efficiency is probably much greater than that of a human attempting the job by hand.

When you think of two bathrooms, it doesn't sound like a lot for $500,000 but if you start to factor in the length of time, the unenviable task of cleaning it after every use, and the glaring need it starts making more sense.

This is not a quick fix, or a kids band aid for the problem. This is the real deal and a solution to the problem. I'm not sure how much impact 2 bathrooms can make on an entire city, but it's a lot better than 0 bathrooms.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure a homeless guy would accept $5 a day to sanitize the bathroom completely after every use. I don't think he would do near as good a job as the machine would if he did. I also don't think people would have the level of trust that he did.

You have to understand maintaining a clean restroom facility open 24 hours a day/365 days a year to anyone and everyone is very difficult. There is also overhead in the supplies used. I don't know if supplies are included in the cost, but the proposed bathrooms efficiency is probably much greater than that of a human attempting the job by hand.

When you think of two bathrooms, it doesn't sound like a lot for $500,000 but if you start to factor in the length of time, the unenviable task of cleaning it after every use, and the glaring need it starts making more sense.

This is not a quick fix, or a kids band aid for the problem. This is the real deal and a solution to the problem. I'm not sure how much impact 2 bathrooms can make on an entire city, but it's a lot better than 0 bathrooms.

But, but...3rdcoast said we should give 5 bucks to homeless people. I mean, who wouldn't want to work $.21 an hour?

3rdCoast
08-15-2005, 05:21 PM
if your homeless and have no cash you better be ready to suck dick for a penny.

5 bucks should be a God send to them

beggers cant be choosers and they will clean shit up for bucks if they wanna eat that day

kris
08-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't think they're quite as desperate for money as you think. They are homeless, dirty, and wearing tattered clothes. They have no prospects, little to no money, and no one to turn to. The elevator doesn't go much past the basement's cellar.

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
if your homeless and have no cash you better be ready to suck dick for a penny.

5 bucks should be a God send to them

beggers cant be choosers and they will clean shit up for bucks if they wanna eat that day

too funny

scott
08-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I'd feel better about pissing on a $250k toilet than in one.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 02:56 PM
What Kind of Porta-Potty do you Get for $250,000?
LAST UPDATE: 8/16/2005 1:52:39 PM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

Watch this story...

So just what kind of toilet would the city get for a quarter million dollars?

Not your usual KYBO, no sirree!

1200 WOAI's Bud Little did the ultimate in investigative reporting, when he stuck his head deep inside one of the two $250,000 toilets earmarked for the downtown homeless to investigate exactly what comes with a toilet which costs twice as much as the average San Antonio home.

Money to buy two of the loopy loos is included in the city's proposed 2006 budget and was revealed by 1200 WOAI news last Friday.

Each restroom will include one toilet and one sink, and will be automatically cleaned and disinfected after each use.

"One of the manufacturers claims he has an independent study that 99.9 percent of all the bacteria are removed in each cleaning cycle," said Chris Young, the city official who drew the short straw and was assigned to discuss the proposed super potties.

One of the most alarming aspects of the luxury latrines is the fact that a voice in the restroom tells you to get out.

"Before it runs out of time, a little flashing light comes on and a voice tells you that your time is just about up," Young said.

Then the door springs open.

He said that cuts down on the incidents of people performing unnatural or illegal behavior in the toilets.

About $150,000 covers the cost of the toilets themselves, the other $100,000 is for land acquisition and instillation.

Mayor Hardberger has already said he is not keen on spending $500,000 in taxpayer dollars on two downtown porta-potties.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
let's hope phil can get this nixed..

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Denver's downtown puts a lot of cities to shame.

True. But it wasn't just Denver. The entire state was fairly clean and well organized. I like Fort Collins a lot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree, we shouldn't get these bathrooms.

Maybe Mayor Phil heard from Constituent 3rdcoast and figured out how to pay a homeless person five dollars a day to clean and disinfect the toilets.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
or they could do it like they do in europe.. there was always some old ass lady that sat at the door waiting for tips when you left or entered.. she was the cleaner.. maybe a homeless person could that...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
or they could do it like they do in europe.. there was always some old ass lady that sat at the door waiting for tips when you left or entered.. she was the cleaner.. maybe a homeless person could that...

Did she sit there 24 hours a day?

Did she get paid $5 a day?

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Did she sit there 24 hours a day?

Did she get paid $5 a day?

i don't know how long she sat there... a bum wouldn't have to sit there 24hrs a day... but then again..where the fuck else is he/she going to go?

not sure how much she made either... she got tips...

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 02:13 AM
If Phil can present better options, I will be open to them. But saying this is a bad option without better options considering the current situation is not very smart.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 08:35 AM
If Phil can present better options, I will be open to them. But saying this is a bad option without better options considering the current situation is not very smart.

2 bathrooms with only 1 toilet each for $500,000!!!??? of course there are better options... and that only included the cost of the toilets and installation...it doesn't include the maintenance..

hardberger talked about having an information center and public restrooms...

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:16 AM
2 bathrooms with only 1 toilet each for $500,000!!!??? of course there are better options... and that only included the cost of the toilets and installation...it doesn't include the maintenance..

hardberger talked about having an information center and public restrooms...
If it is such an obivous thing, show me some damn hard information.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
If it is such an obivous thing, show me some damn hard information.

Can't. You're just going to have to wait for the final report.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 12:24 PM
if you think the city can't build one toilet for $250,000 you are fucking insane.

and johnny blaze, why are you sucking manny off today? he only said he was going to buy you 1 beer...

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm sure they can build a toilet for less than 250,000, but I'm not sure they can build a toilet that is always clean and maintain it that way for that amount.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 12:58 PM
And maybe I'm not the only one who thinks you're a complete idiot, Clan. Maybe thats why Joe is doing what he is doing.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 01:15 PM
i've seen self-cleaning toilets...and you always have some asshole deliberately shit on the toilet to see if the self-cleaner will get it off.... well, let me tell you...it doesn't. it just smears the shit around the seat... pretty fucked up when you walk into one...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
i've seen self-cleaning toilets...and you always have some asshole deliberately shit on the toilet to see if the self-cleaner will get it off.... well, let me tell you...it doesn't. it just smears the shit around the seat... pretty fucked up when you walk into one...

You've just seen and done everything in this world, haven't you?

You've always done everything or been everywhere or seen everything that has to do with anything we talk about here.

It's a wonder you even have time to post here.

Self-cleaning shitters? Clan's seen them.

Looking for WMDs? Clan's been there.

Attacked by thugs? Clan's fended them off.

Gay sex? Clan's taken the cock.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Oh, shit. :lmao

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM

You've always done everything or been everywhere or seen everything that has to do with anything we talk about here.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

you rock, JB

Shelly
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM

But can he dunk a volleyball??????

scott
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
We can install public restrooms in your downtown for free!

Signed,

City of New Orleans.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Self-cleaning shitters? Clan's seen them. maybe if you'd get out of san antonio for once and open your squinty little eyes you'd see other shit too. but yes, i've seen them many times.

Looking for WMDs? Clan's been there. nope

Attacked by thugs? Clan's fended them off. nah, i ran.

Gay sex? Clan's taken the cock. nah, but the way you been sticking up for manny lately you are acting like his gay bitch.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
But can he dunk a volleyball??????

no, i'm mexican..

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Why don't you start writing MY biography, oh fudge-packing one?

Again, you seem to know so much about us.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:17 PM
maybe if you'd get out of san antonio for once and open your squinty little eyes you'd see other shit too. but yes, i've seen them many times.

nope

nah, i ran.

nah, but the way you been sticking up for manny lately you are acting like his gay bitch.

Oh...and nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Oh, Clandestino...so well-traveled and knowledgable, please, tell us the ways in which we may be good and follow in your path?

Do you not sucketh the dick of the conservative posters of SpursTalk? For with thou logic, anybody in defense, or even alignment of thoughts, must be blowing the other.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh, Clandestino...so well-traveled and knowledgable, please, tell us the ways in which we may be good and follow in your path?

Do you not sucketh the dick of the conservative posters of SpursTalk? For with thou logic, anybody in defense, or even alignment of thoughts, must be blowing the other.

thinking the same way is one thing.. constantly sticking up for another dude is another.. if you two were drinking beers together and manny was arguing with some other dude, would you step in for him?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
thinking the same way is one thing.. constantly sticking up for another dude is another.. if you two were drinking beers together and manny was arguing with some other dude, would you step in for him?

Who says I constantly stick up for anybody, much less Manny?

Something tells me that you have this affection for him since you keep bringing him up.

Answer me this, Clan. How come everytime anybody is talking about anything, you always have seen it, done it, experienced it?

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Who says I constantly stick up for anybody, much less Manny?

Something tells me that you have this affection for him since you keep bringing him up.

who says? i do.. at least today you have been...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
who says? i do.. at least today you have been...

Um, you just did. Don't you read your own posts?

con·stant Audio pronunciation of "constantly" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knstnt)
adj.

1. Continually occurring; persistent.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Um, you just did. Don't you read your own posts?

con·stant Audio pronunciation of "constantly" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knstnt)
adj.

1. Continually occurring; persistent.

:lmao i just that i was the one who said it! :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:43 PM
:lmao i just that i was the one who said it! :lmao

Ducks?

You know what, this is all fine and good, but frankly, it'll never get anywhere.

Clan, you're nothing more than an egotistical hypocrite and you know it.

Maybe that's what you want to be, but any argument you bring is preceded by that fact.

Maybe we should just wait for the final report on this thread before coming to any conclusions.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:45 PM
today, you constantly stood up for your little friend manny..

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
today, you constantly stood up for your little friend manny..

You sound like you're hurt.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
it was just funny... usually, when guys get into arguments their other buddies don't jump in for them... that is pussy stuff

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Oh, well, I tried.

Time to call out Clandestino's "Wrongs For The Day" again.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=81120

Do me a favor, Clan.

Go through those threads from today and show me where I "stepped in for Manny," much less addressed him before this last discussion.

Until you can successfully complete that, go wipe your ass in a self-cleaning toilet (since you know what happens in every situation at any time).

-----

EDIT: I see one. This morning when I told him to "Wait for the final report."

Wow. That was a big barfight.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh, well, I tried.

Time to call out Clandestino's "Wrongs For The Day" again.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=81120

Do me a favor, Clan.

Go through those threads from today and show me where I "stepped in for Manny," much less addressed him before this last discussion.

Until you can successfully complete that, go wipe your ass in a self-cleaning toilet (since you know what happens in every situation at any time).

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 12:45 PM

You don't understand. Anyone who is tired of his idiocy is obviously sticking up for me. Although, why I would need anyone to stick up for me when I consitently make him look like the moron he is I do not know.

Hank Hill
08-18-2005, 12:58 PM
One time Dale had a porta potty that Bobby and a bunch of his friends stuffed themselves into

Clandestino
08-18-2005, 01:19 PM

You don't understand. Anyone who is tired of his idiocy is obviously sticking up for me. Although, why I would need anyone to stick up for me when I consitently make him look like the moron he is I do not know.

:lmao i love how the self-proclaimed smartest guy in the world can't spell worth a fuck!