PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green's defense..

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Highest +/- on the team, 4 steals and 2 blocks, at least 3-4 other deflections, defended Durant very well all game..

His offense was up and down, but this was one of the best individual defensive performances in the Duncan era, tbh..

The defense went downhill whenever he exited the game tonight:lol..

slick'81
05-31-2014, 11:02 PM
Thank god he almost threw the game away there with another errant pass

timtonymanu
05-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Played outstanding defense.

:lol @ people wanting him to sit for missing 3's. Stop focusing on the offensive end.

sananspursfan21
05-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Could he be a better all around defender than Kawhi? Green was phenomenal on the defensive end most of this series

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Played outstanding defense.

:lol @ people wanting him to sit for missing 3's. Stop focusing on the offensive end.

The double standards with Bowen vs. Green on ST are pretty funny, tbh..

apalisoc_9
05-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Leonard and Green are the best defensive duo in the league, IMO.

timtonymanu
05-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Green wasn't afraid to take shots too. He's was great in this series.

Malik Hairston
Could he be a better all around defender than Kawhi? Green was phenomenal on the defensive end most of this series

Green is an equal or better defensive player, according to most metrics, tbh..

Kawhi is better at rebounding and playing the passing lanes, where he's elite..

They are the best defensive duo in the NBA, yet don't receive any credit for it:lol..

-21-
Even if he was missing 3s, his defense was extremely valuable.

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 11:07 PM
The Green/Leonard upgrade over Finley/Mason/Bogans/Jefferson is the biggest difference with the Spurs these past few years, tbh..

The big 3 and Pop are the stars, and rightfully so, they're all Hall of Famers, but Kawhi/Danny are just as valuable as any of them, tbh(Splitter is the best overall defender on the team, but he can't play in certain matchups, offensively)..

wildchild
05-31-2014, 11:09 PM
Damn...he was HUGE!!!! Thanks Danny! :flag:

siraulo23
05-31-2014, 11:10 PM
unf believable, the switch defensively putting green on durant and kawhi on westbroook worked out well

he was beyond amazing on durant

green ALSO among so many contributors in this game deserve SO MUCH praise

Seventyniner
05-31-2014, 11:10 PM

They are the best defensive duo in the NBA, yet don't receive any credit for it:lol..

The defensive version of the Splash Brothers. I can't think of a catchy nickname though.

barakz21
05-31-2014, 11:17 PM
The defensive version of the Splash Brothers. I can't think of a catchy nickname though.

Smash brothers, because they smash the offensive game of the players they're guarding?

T Park
05-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Danny green is one of the most under appreciated Spurs in a long time.

fantastic defense. Will make shots on the road. I'll take a team full of Danny Greens.

sananspursfan21
05-31-2014, 11:24 PM

Never really checked the metric stats, good looking out!

Betcha those two play for most anyone else and they get a cutsie nickname like the "Splash Brothers" got

midnightpulp
05-31-2014, 11:25 PM
His length and activity should bother Wade and make him work. I don't see Wade being a huge factor this series, just like last year where he was held below 20 points a game. We have the horses to throw at Lebron, so I don't expect a historic output from him. Heat scrubs+Ray Allen always concern me, though. Chalmers is like Derek Fisher 2.0. He always comes alive in the biggest games.

And like I said in the NBA forum, I fear Rashard Lewis in the lineup. Not necessarily for his individual play, but how he complements that offense. I'm sure that's the cynic in me speaking, but his +/- was off the charts in the Indiana series.

sananspursfan21
05-31-2014, 11:25 PM

Never really checked the metric stats, good looking out!

Betcha those two play for most anyone else and they get a cutsie nickname like the "Splash Brothers" got

Ha! Didn't even see you post this, great posters type alike

Malik Hairston
05-31-2014, 11:27 PM
His length and activity should bother Wade and make him work. I don't see Wade being a huge factor this series, just like last year where he was held below 20 points a game. We have the horses to throw at Lebron, so I don't expect a historic output from him. Heat scrubs+Ray Allen always concern me, though. Chalmers is like Derek Fisher 2.0. He always comes alive in the biggest games.

And like I said in the NBA forum, I fear Rashard Lewis in the lineup. Not necessarily for his individual play, but how he complements that offense. I'm sure that's the cynic in me speaking, but his +/- was off the charts in the Indiana series.

Leonard guarding Wade and Green/Diaw guarding Lebron makes more sense IMO..

Malik Hairston
06-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Danny green is one of the most under appreciated Spurs in a long time.

fantastic defense. Will make shots on the road. I'll take a team full of Danny Greens.

Yep..I can't think of any Spurs in the Duncan era that have been less appreciated compared to their actual contributions, tbh..

Chinook
06-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Green has come to play in each of the close-out games this post-season. Let's hope that continues, whether it's Game Four, Five, Six or Seven.

BatManu20
06-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Besides his errant passes, he was brilliant this series tbh. Hope it carries over to the next one and he shoots better on the road.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 02:14 AM
i think it works either way. having Leonard off-ball by matching up on Wade helps him play the lanes and be active, which as we know is his biggest strength. While Green held his own against LeBron last year, I think James can eat him up in the post, which is an aspect LeBron brings that Durant didn't (which is why Green thrived on FT35). At the same time, Leonard has looked like the best overall LeBron defender in the NBA the past couple of years. That last reg season matchup this year was an incredible performance. Leonard clearly gets in LBJ's head imo

mystargtr34
06-01-2014, 02:15 AM

I was thinking about this earlier, Leonard on Wade may be the way to go to effectively stop Wade being a factor and live with rotating Green, Diaw and Leonard on LeBron. As we saw when Paul George was guarding him, Wade is bothered most by length. Plus, Wade may be a little too crafty for DG3 tbh.

mystargtr34
06-01-2014, 02:16 AM
btw Harlem, who are you rooting for?

xtremesteven33
06-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Hes under appreciated because hes limited offensively. Cant dribble under pressure or create his own shot, but in this system he doesnt have to. On defense hes perfect for this team. Great at taking orders and has a high basketball IQ. The only thing holding Green back is his carefree attitude. Thats what makes him so great under pressure though. He has that kinda swag that gives the impression that he doesnt give a shit about winning all that much. I love this guy but we all know his limitations. He needs to excel our expectations for him to truly be appreciated.

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Its sad that all along, the key to shutting down the thunder was just to put Green on Durant and Kawhi on Westbrook, wish i had a time machine for 2012 lol

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 02:28 AM
I was thinking about this earlier, Leonard on Wade may be the way to go to effectively stop Wade being a factor and live with rotating Green, Diaw and Leonard on LeBron. As we saw when Paul George was guarding him, Wade is bothered most by length. Plus, Wade may be a little too crafty for DG3 tbh.
i'm not worried about Green on Wade, but having Kawhi on Wade, off ball, allows him to be most dangerous. I think they should rotate and give them different looks constantly depending on opposing personnel and game situation

ElNono
06-01-2014, 02:38 AM
I'm excited about Danny because he's a guy that's a couple of offensive moves away from being a stud in this league... heck, if he can add a post up game over the summer, he would be an amazing piece...

heyheymymy
06-01-2014, 02:56 AM
green contributes in a lot of ways and he's always in the right place at the right time. those are the type of players you hang on to.

Brunodf
06-01-2014, 03:30 AM
He was great against Durant, but that will backfire when Pop plays him against Lebron...

99 Problems
06-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Steals Green 4 Manu 4 Mills 3

Championship Ball.

spursparker9
06-01-2014, 04:30 AM
I hope Patty Mills can teach Danny how to dribble in the off season.

spursparker9
06-01-2014, 04:32 AM
BTW What a Block on KD's 3 pointer on the right wing ! (during 2nd quarter)

I never seen KD got block on a jumper, TBH.

6'6 guy block 6'11 guy on a 3 point jump shot, incredible ! :toast

Nathan89
06-01-2014, 04:33 AM
I hope Patty Mills can teach Danny how to dribble in the off season.

Danny Green will never have ball handling of any use in an NBA game.

Spur|n|Austin
06-01-2014, 04:36 AM
His D was on a damn sharp point tonight.

spursparker9
06-01-2014, 04:36 AM

Today Danny did have enough handles to manage to make a few passes to Bonner after being trapped by double team.

Last year against the Heat that would be easily a turnover if they applied double team pressure to Danny.

dg7md
06-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Green's D is a huge part of why we won tonight, him and Leonard blew offensively but broke the game open with great defense.

Asshole
06-01-2014, 05:13 AM

Well Pop see's that. He will bench Green for the finals. You're a revelation.

stepmonkey
06-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I'll take a team full of Danny Greens.

We'd never get the ball over the half court line.:lol

Seriously, he got his hands on the ball so many times when covering Durant. But, if we would have lost all anybody would remember was that horrible pass.

therealtruth
06-01-2014, 08:12 AM
He's got to be able to get some layups or short jumpers when his 3 isn't falling. I think it will make him more dangerous. Those kind of shots can help you get rhythm.

Drachen
06-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Call em the wall.

When asked about their asking green or leonard about their great d on player x, they could answer "it was a team effort, I mean, all we are is just another brick in the wall."

beirmeistr
06-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Well. Sean ****** used to call Bowen the Rash. How about the Rash brothers?

mercos
06-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Green is probably the best one on one defender in the league. He can guard anyone from Chris Paul to Lebron James. I'd put him above Tony Allen, because Allen is allowed to play much more physical than Green and doesn't yield that much better results.

wildbill2u
06-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Thank god he almost threw the game away there with another errant pass

Key words here are 'Another errant pass'. The guy has no handle on the ball and his passing is at best inattentive and soft--a steal waiting to happen against good athletes. The ball-hawking Heat must be licking their chops at his skill level in this part of the game.

timtonymanu
06-01-2014, 11:22 AM
He was great against Durant, but that will backfire when Pop plays him against Lebron...

Danny Green has defended LeBron well in the past. Stop being a shitty poster, boy.

Raven
06-01-2014, 11:22 AM
:cry my nigga :cry

myhc
06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Danny Green has defended LeBron well in the past. Stop being a shitty poster, boy.

Yep. He did an admirable job on Lebron last year. I have no problem with Danny on Lebron and he'll get his shot.

Raven
06-01-2014, 11:30 AM
and btw, i'm not sure who improved more this season if Leonard, Cojo, Green or Splitter, they have come a long way in their fundamentals from last year, i don't know if anybody else saw that too. Leonard is a lot more assertive and confident and his 3pointer has come back, he improved all around in a relatively standard but exciting way. Cojo has taken a hit in his minutes, but to me he has shown huge improvements both as a playmaker and as a shooter, i could say he looks more athletic too tbh. Green has added handles, a mid range game and implanted a gigantic dick to his groin, if you think how he'd dribble or make a layup last year or worse two years ago, you can't even compare it tbh. Splitter made his biggest improvement last year when he learned how to shoot fts, but the defensive stud he's become this year is astonishing, he's become the premier pick and roll defender big in the league. Exciting tbh.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-01-2014, 11:31 AM

I actually thought he played well in stints vs Lebron in last years finals.

cd021
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Highest +/- on the team, 4 steals and 2 blocks, at least 3-4 other deflections, defended Durant very well all game..

His offense was up and down, but this was one of the best individual defensive performances in the Duncan era, tbh..

The defense went downhill whenever he exited the game tonight:lol..

Beli -8 in 6 minutes, Mills 0 points in 18 minutes. Without Green our guard production would have been pretty awful.

DPG21920
06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't care that Danny isn't an elite ball handler. I don't care that if a team decides to put one of their best perimeter defenders on him he can be taken out of the offensive game plan. He's laughably underrated by the average fan across the NBA and has busted his a** to become an undeniable winner.

If he could dribble really well, he would probably be a top 3 SG in the NBA. The fact teams have to put someone so close to him is what opens up a lot for the Spurs offense. He's improved his handle and decision making on close outs. But he adds value even if his shot isn't falling on both offense and especially defense.

lurker23
06-01-2014, 11:48 AM
I almost started a similar thread last night. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and even other guys like Splitter and Diaw get a lot of attention/credit, and for good reason. But Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard are perhaps the most important pieces for the Spurs defensively. The individual defense that they showed against All-Stars was outstanding, especially Green in games 5 and 6. Hopefully they have another series like that in them.

Mugen
06-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't care that Danny isn't an elite ball handler. I don't care that if a team decides to put one of their best perimeter defenders on him he can be taken out of the offensive game plan. He's laughably underrated by the average fan across the NBA and has busted his a** to become an undeniable winner.

If he could dribble really well, he would probably be a top 3 SG in the NBA. The fact teams have to put someone so close to him is what opens up a lot for the Spurs offense. He's improved his handle and decision making on close outs. But he adds value even if his shot isn't falling on both offense and especially defense.

:tu From nearly washing out of the league, to being one of the best role players on a championship contender. Danny is a flat out stud.

Raven
06-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Beli -8 in 6 minutes, Mills 0 points in 18 minutes. Without Green our guard production would have been pretty awful.

i can't see how can a revolving door such as cancernelli be called a "guard" tbh

Raven
06-01-2014, 12:14 PM

to me he's already the second best sg in the nba. I find it fitting that they get to face each other tbh.

G-Dawgg
06-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Danny Green is known as a good defender. Danny Green is more than just a good defender...people don't realize exactly how excellent of a defender he really is.

RodNIc91
06-01-2014, 01:08 PM
The double standards with Bowen vs. Green on ST are pretty funny, tbh..
How do you think he compares to Bowen? Do you think he/Kawhi will ever get to Bruce's level on defense??

RD2191
06-16-2014, 05:30 PM
:wakeup