PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter, tbh...

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:19 AM
That last series was Finals' Splitter, IMO... we can't have that. He has to find a way not to be intimidated by birdman, and if he gets blocked, he can't become invisible.

Do you go with Baynes if he turns into a vajeje again? We'll need some rim protection, and he's out best P&R defender. Come on Tiago, you need to grow a pair quick...

Biernutz
06-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Baynes vs Birdman...I would like to see that.....

T Park
06-01-2014, 12:23 AM
He was pretty damn good tonight don't know what the F you're babbling about

J_Paco
06-01-2014, 12:26 AM

I concur, he played well in limited minutes. And Pop should attempt to play Duncan and Splitter together in stretches because Miami would have absolutely no answer. But I expect to see a lot of smallball and Diaw may start or he can play Bonner in limited minutes again.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 12:26 AM

Yeah. He was great defensively. The Spurs can certainly have that from Tiago's minutes, as Diaw will probably start at the four and play a good deal at the five against the Heat. If Splitter comes in and makes a difference on D, that would be incredible.

Not to mention Tiago was great on Bosh last year.

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:27 AM

:lol He played 10 mins tonight, Pop couldn't play him his regular minutes... that's what I'm talking about.

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:28 AM
My main concern is that we're basically reduced to Duncan/Diaw, it's tough rotation-wise...

T Park
06-01-2014, 12:29 AM
:lol He played 10 mins tonight, Pop couldn't play him his regular minutes... that's what I'm talking about.

Because, uhm, they played Durant at the 4 and Diaw was on fire?

But facts are crappy hang ups it know.

Biernutz
06-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Tiago could not spread the floor like Boris or Matt....He has to work on a Tim type jumper in the off season

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Because, uhm, they played Durant at the 4 and Diaw was on fire?

But facts are crappy hang ups it know.

The Spurs would gladly stay big if Tiago could contribute more on the offensive side. He was great in the first two series... that's also a fact.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
My main concern is that we're basically reduced to Duncan/Diaw, it's tough rotation-wise...

Ten minutes of elite defense is actually really valuable. It's pretty much what Birdman gives Miami, and they wouldn't have beaten the Spurs last year without him. That being said, Splitter will suffer offensively against the Heat because he didn't work enough on his jumper (or Pop didn't let him use it enough during games). If Tiago could shoot, then he could short-roll/pop after setting the screen, which would prevent Miami from jumping the PnR. Even so, so long as the Spurs handle Miami's ball-pressure better than they did last year, they should be able to prevent Splitter from getting stripped so much.

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:32 AM
He's our best defensive big man by a mile... the fact that he can't play a lot of minutes should be concerning...

servalli
06-01-2014, 12:32 AM
MVSplitter

http://puertatras.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/splitterdespedidadesoltero.jpg

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Ten minutes of elite defense is actually really valuable. It's pretty much what Birdman gives Miami, and they wouldn't have beaten the Spurs last year without him. That being said, Splitter will suffer offensively against the Heat because he didn't work enough on his jumper (or Pop didn't let him use it enough during games). If Tiago could shoot, then he could short-roll/pop after setting the screen, which would prevent Miami from jumping the PnR. Even so, so long as the Spurs handle Miami's ball-pressure better than they did last year, they should be able to prevent Splitter from getting stripped so much.

Yeah, I'm not dogging on him, I just want him on the floor, because he's super valuable on defense...

Prime Time
06-01-2014, 12:36 AM
He was a terrible match-up against OKC post-Ibaka's return. Ibaka brought too much athleticism for Splitter to really thrive off of, but he played great in Games 1&2.

With that said, Splitter was MUCH better this series that that of 2012. He finished inside the paint, hit his free-throws, and moved his feet well enough to stop easy opportunities for Reggie Jackson. Splitter is really more valuable against slower teams that set up plays (or rely on a non-athletic PF offensively), teams like Dallas/Portland/Indiana/Memphis.. and hopefully Miami.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not dogging on him, I just want him on the floor, because he's super valuable on defense...

It would really help him if Manu and Tony throw the ball high instead of bouncing it (the bounce-pass is pretty much the only pass Green makes, so there's no hope for him). A big problem last year was that they kept giving Splitter the ball at waist-level, which allowed the Heat guards to slap at it (often fouling, but whatever). Throw the ball up, and tell Splitter to keep the ball above his head until he shoots it.

As far as my previous post about shooting is concerned, I wonder is that's why he saw him take more jumpers this year than before. That may well be something the Spurs try to bust out against the Heat. Splitter shooting has really been all that useful against the last three teams (even with that whole Ibaka-sagging-off thing), but it would kill the Heat defense.

Mugen
06-01-2014, 12:39 AM
OKC and Miami are bad matchups for him tbh. I don't think he'll be much better in the Finals but he'll be solid and should give some good backup mins to TD.

ElNono
06-01-2014, 12:40 AM
It would really help him if Manu and Tony throw the ball high instead of bouncing it (the bounce-pass is pretty much the only pass Green makes, so there's no hope for him). A big problem last year was that they kept giving Splitter the ball at waist-level, which allowed the Heat guards to slap at it (often fouling, but whatever). Throw the ball up, and tell Splitter to keep the ball above his head until he shoots it.

As far as my previous post about shooting is concerned, I wonder is that's why he saw him take more jumpers this year than before. That may well be something the Spurs try to bust out against the Heat. Splitter shooting has really been all that useful against the last three teams (even with that whole Ibaka-sagging-off thing), but it would kill the Heat defense.

Whoever guards Bosh gonna have his hands full... especially since he's been stepping back to the 3 point line

Richie
06-01-2014, 12:41 AM
The Spurs would gladly stay big if Tiago could contribute more on the offensive side. He was great in the first two series... that's also a fact.

His limited minutes weren't anything to do with him, we needed to play Diaw and Bonner to pull Ibaka out of the paint. Without the intimidating shot blocker to worry about, we can stay big against Miami.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Whoever guards Bosh gonna have his hands full... especially since he's been stepping back to the 3 point line

My guess is it would be Splitter on Bosh and Duncan on Lewis (provided the bigs match-up would be Splitter/Duncan, Lewis/Bosh). I think they'll want to help off Lewis more, and Bosh's ability to drive and pull-up makes him a better guard for Splitter. Also, the Heat screen with Bosh more than anyone else, so having Splitter on Chris would allow him to hedge and get back to his man, whereas Duncan can stay nearish to the basket to help.

therealtruth
06-01-2014, 12:46 AM
We've got to make the Heat pick their poison. They want to stay big we have the advantage with TD/Splitter. They go small and we have the advantage with Diaw in the post.

ElNono
06-08-2014, 11:59 PM
That last series was Finals' Splitter, IMO... we can't have that. He has to find a way not to be intimidated by birdman, and if he gets blocked, he can't become invisible.

Do you go with Baynes if he turns into a vajeje again? We'll need some rim protection, and he's out best P&R defender. Come on Tiago, you need to grow a pair quick...

bump. Just drives me nuts, tbh.... overpowered and just soft, soft, soft...

At least Diaw causes some mismatches and it's a great passer in general... he started decent in this game, but it went downhill again... I think it's time for Pop to start Diaw...

100%duncan
06-09-2014, 12:00 AM
The fucker's softness lead to a heat run IIRC. He played well in game 1 but went back to his old ways in game 2.

Skull-1
06-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Weak assed rejected fast break on Tiago. Pathetic.

baseline bum
06-09-2014, 12:10 AM
What the hell was shitter doing thinking he can run a break?

Skull-1
06-09-2014, 12:12 AM
What the hell was shitter doing thinking he can run a break?

Thats is what I was wondering.

http://i.imgur.com/GbSMlAq.gif

ElNono
Don't forget that missed layup at the end of the 1st quarter, when he had all the time in the world to slam it down... these games are all coming down to 3-4 possessions and missing those easy points hurt... just like the freebies.

Mugen
It was time to start Diaw at the beginning of this game. Unfortunately, he didn't think a change needed to be made after a W. A lot of Splitter's success will be tied to how well Manu plays and, unfortunately, Manu was not as good tonight.

Chinook
06-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Duncan/Splitter worked very well to start the game. In fact, the Heat rebounded once Diaw came in. Also, Diaw isn't going to both start and be the secondary James defender. That would force him to play too many minutes, not to mention lead to a Splitter/Duncan lineup in the quasi-second unit.

ElNono
06-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Duncan/Splitter worked very well to start the game. In fact, the Heat rebounded once Diaw came in. Also, Diaw isn't going to both start and be the secondary James defender. That would force him to play too many minutes, not to mention lead to a Splitter/Duncan lineup in the quasi-second unit.

Started well as long as Tim was finishing at the rim... Tiago is looking to pass 90% of the time against Miami, which eventually becomes too predictable.

I also think Pop might eventually take Diaw off Lebron anyways, just to see if it helps Boris get a bit more confident and aggressive.

Tiago is just too valuable on the defensive end, tbh, it's maddening that he hasn't gotten better at being more useful around the basket and it's so easy to shut down on offense against a team like Miami.

Ice009
06-09-2014, 02:45 AM
This guy was one of the worst players on the court.

If I had his size, I'd be straight dominating games. How soft is this guy? How is he so weak around the basket? Looking at his frame, he doesn't look weak in the upper body, but almost anyone can overpower this guy and block his shot. It's fucking pathetic.

TOUGHEN UP SPLITTER AND FUCKING FINISH PLAYS.

T Park
06-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Tiago doesn't have an outside shot, while Diaw does.

T Park
06-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Weak assed rejected fast break on Tiago. Pathetic.

Stop quoting me ass clown.

tholdren
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Chinook;7380326]My guess is it would be Splitter on Bosh and Duncan on Lewis (provided the bigs match-up would be Splitter/Duncan, Lewis/Bosh). I think they'll want to help off Lewis more, and Bosh's ability to drive and pull-up makes him a better guard for Splitter. Also, the Heat screen with Bosh more than anyone else, so having Splitter on Chris would allow him to hedge and get back to his man, whereas Duncan can stay nearish to the basket to help.[/QUOTE

Hedge? Jesus. He dont have to worry about pnr with bosh, he has to worry about pick n pop or flare. He's not as athletic as you think, if bosh can get wide open 3s on him whenever he wants. Crazy how an "elite" defender can't play help defense, yet you all claim he can

ElNono
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Tiago doesn't have an outside shot, while Diaw does.

Why would you want to take jumpers when you could dominate inside? The problem is Tiago just doesn't really have a post game, or the ability to punish smaller players in the post.

tholdren
06-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Why would you want to take jumpers when you could dominate inside? The problem is Tiago just doesn't really have a post game, or the ability to punish smaller players in the post.

dont tell them that, it just gives them a stronger sense of his defensive prowess.

Chinook
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
My guess is it would be Splitter on Bosh and Duncan on Lewis (provided the bigs match-up would be Splitter/Duncan, Lewis/Bosh). I think they'll want to help off Lewis more, and Bosh's ability to drive and pull-up makes him a better guard for Splitter. Also, the Heat screen with Bosh more than anyone else, so having Splitter on Chris would allow him to hedge and get back to his man, whereas Duncan can stay nearish to the basket to help.

Hedge? Jesus. He dont have to worry about pnr with bosh, he has to worry about pick n pop or flare. He's not as athletic as you think, if bosh can get wide open 3s on him whenever he wants. Crazy how an "elite" defender can't play help defense, yet you all claim he can

:lol originally quoted me correctly only to mess it up retroactively.

Beaverfuzz
06-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Tiago needs to cockpunch Lebron, Bosh, or himself. Any of the three will help the Spurs. :flag: :lobt2:

ElNono
06-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him...

Skull-1
06-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Stop quoting me ass clown.

From where? I have never read anything you have ever written before, c*m stain. :fishing

AFBlue
06-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Splitter is too soft inside and the Heat are being allowed to play physical handsy defense, which is a bad combo. He's got good action on the pick-and-roll as the Center, so having him in the second unit with Manu makes a lot of sense. Spreading the Heat D out with more shooters will also help open the lane for penetrators. Starting Diaw and bringing Tiago in as backup center is the most logical move tbqh.