PDA

View Full Version : Allan Houston Safe; Rose Cut by Amnesty Rule?

usckk
08-13-2005, 07:18 AM
New York Post: " Allan Houston appears safe, The Post has learned. The Knicks are expected to let Monday's amnesty deadline pass without waiving Houston, a league official said... Power forwards Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor and, to a lesser extent, Jerome Williams are in danger."

xcoriate
08-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Wow. I can see it now.

:lmao I seriously can't believe this. There are going to be some exstatic people if the Spurs snatch him.

YamaSama
08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
The hoopshype rumor page (http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm) has a link to the New York Post saying that the Knicks may end up using the new amnesty clause to part ways with Malik Rose.
If that happens, is Malik coming home? We don't really need another big guy, but maybe, just maybe, if we could ship Rasho off somewhere, there might be room.

xcoriate
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
We know.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23427

G-Nob
08-13-2005, 08:21 AM
I know he's a hometown favorite. But this team has moved on. We really don't nee him at this point.

Rescueone
08-13-2005, 08:37 AM
It's not going to happen! Malik will only be in SA during the off season to check on his restaruants. I like Malik, but I really can't see Pop bringing him back.

boutons
08-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Amazing if Isaiah trades for Malik in Feb, then amnesties him in August.

ChumpDumper
08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Fuck you, boutons -- he has a plan!

bigbendbruisebrother
08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
So, I'm not clear on how this amnesty thing works. If a player is waived under the amnesty, is his previous contract dead? What are the rules for his next contract, same as a free agent?

Playing dumbasses advocate here for a minute, say Rasho is mulliganned from Spursland. What is the minimum the Spurs could then sign Malik for to hold down Tmass's end of the bench? And aren't the Knicks then obligated to continue to pay Malik something as well? It would be hilarious if we wound up with Nazr and Malik with Isiah picking up the tab.

Tim/Horry/Malik
Nazr/Oberto/Malik

Not saying it's a good idea, but could it happen (fiscally, contractually)?

angel_luv
08-13-2005, 09:42 AM
The Knicks wouldn't cut Malik, would they? Seems to me that Coach Brown would be delighted to have a hard working player accustomed to playing under a defense minded system.

G-Nob
08-13-2005, 09:44 AM
according to the new rules, a team may waive a player but still be on the line for his contract for the duration. for example, michael finley can be waived by dallas but dallas still has to pay the 50 mil or so remaining. But not in lump sum. dallas, if they chose, only needs to pay him in 3-5 mil increments annually. also, the new team that signs him must pay a small restitution to dallas to help pay the remainder of the contract. dallas in turn, is relieved of his slot and the luxury tax penalty of being over the cap.

SequSpur
08-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Malik Rose isn't even worth minimum wage.

angel_luv
08-13-2005, 10:15 AM
If there was anyway I could have Malik back without it costing me Rasho, I would be all for doing it.

Malik is wonderful. I wish the Spurs had never traded him.

Horry For 3!
08-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't expect the Spurs to get Malik if he is cut.

ShoogarBear
08-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Forget about cutting Malik. Why the hell would the Knicks keep Allan Houston?

TheWriter
08-13-2005, 12:38 PM
It's not going to happen! Malik will only be in SA during the off season to check on his restaruants. I like Malik, but I really can't see Pop bringing him back.

He lives in San Antonio, he doesn't just check up on his restaurants.

Big Pimp_21
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Forget about cutting Malik. Why the hell would the Knicks keep Allan Houston?

Because he is finally realizing that he should retire...he said that if he can't be 100% in October he will hang 'em up. Cutting Malik would free up the most $$

Vashner
08-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Malik's a made man anyway.. he's young and rich.. BEEP everyone else. haha. He'll be ok no matter what.. He's got his rings too..

Hell I would retire if I was him and got cut...

T Park
08-13-2005, 01:21 PM
If he gets released, Id be first in line to bring him back.

You bring Malik back, having him on the bench would be beyond fantastic for the team.

IMO, the championship didn't totally feel right, without Malik there.

Id love to bring Malik back, I dont care how many big men you have, you can never have enough veteran leadership.

IMO, have Malik replace Massenburg's spot and have that locker room presence.

Everyone forgets how effected the team was after he got traded.

IMO, bringing back Malik would fantastic.

Imagine the public sentimate for the Spurs and the tickets sold, if you bring him back.

Do it Pop

ducks
08-13-2005, 01:39 PM
rose will not be waived

but would rose be willing for masserberg minutes?
rose would be cheap if he was wived something the spurs would like
but like I said would he be happy with masserberg minutes?

rose would be good insurance but I see him going to a team where he would get 20-25 minutes a night

Mr. Body
08-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Rose won't be waived. Larry Brown needs him badly as an ally on the bench. He's one of his guys.

Kori Ellis
08-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I read a few times that Maurice Taylor was definitely a possiblity to be waived, but that Malik was on Larry's keeper list. Who knows what's going to happen though. I thought Houston was getting waived for sure. I didn't know he was on the edge of medical retirement because just a few weeks ago he was talking about how he can still be a major contributor.

2pac
08-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Maurice Taylor was definitely a possiblity

marcus
08-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Rose was only traded before because of his ass contract. He would be great if he could come for not so much money.

benjirh
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I think it is funny that everyone is calling it the Allan Houston rule, and he may not even get cut using it. As far as Rose goes, He would be the best minimum player out there. If we do end up keeping Rasho and Nazr, we would truly be three deep at both C and PF. Thats great insurance for injuries.

leemajors
08-13-2005, 03:47 PM
too bad what we need is a backup sf. malik played his way into the doghouse, and his contract certainly didn't help. pop won't forget him pulling his shirt over his head like a dumbass.

benjirh
08-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I really think it is between Rose and Anderson.

Since Anderson is already not playing with the team, they would be able to get rid of his tax hit and not lose a warm body.

Then when it comes down to Rose, Taylor, and Junkyard:
Rose's contract has one more year than the other two guys (and also Anderson's)

So if NY is looking down the road. By waiving Rose all four guy's contracts will be off the books in 07/08. Houston's contract is also done by then. They could potentially be just over the lux tax cap.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Imagine the public sentimate for the Spurs and the tickets sold, if you bring him back.

Yeah, the Spurs are really struggling to sell tickets right now :lol

If the guy bitched about PT before, what's he going to do with another guy taking minutes (Oberto)?

Spurs fans need to give up the dream, it ain't gonna happen.

boutons
08-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Malik messed up his last 1.5 seasons here. He got essentially no "effective" PT in that time, while the Spurs have gotten stronger in the front-line where a tweener like Malik just is not competitive, not able to contirbute.

I like Malik the person a lot. But Malik the bball player has very little to contribute to Spurs.

The Spurs leadership, strengthened by the 05 Title with Tim and Manu, is in excellent, productive status. Malik has nothing to contribute there, either.

Ok, Bring Malik back to please the fans, as sentimental favorite (role he earned BEFORE he starting screwing up), but it doesn't make any basketball sense.

Malik sells tickets sitting on the bench for 40+ minutes/game?

Dex
08-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Basically, they want him to be the next Sean Marks.

Not so much of a player. Just somebody who keeps the locker room happy.

Hell, I think even Malik is hoping for a little bit more than that out of his career, despite how much he loves San Antonio and the Spurs.

NCaliSpurs
08-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Malik Rose would not have put up with that soft ass shit we brought against Denver and Seattle. Whatever you may say about Malik, he was a warrior.

boutons
08-13-2005, 05:01 PM
"Sean Marks"

... wasn't he headed for the $$$ in Europe for the last couple years of his career? Anybody know his status?

Maybe Malik could pay Sean out of his Knicks un-earned amensty money to keep Sean here. :lol

T Park
08-13-2005, 05:27 PM

Youd be suprised how many people would come to the game now that Malik would be back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Malik Rose would not have put up with that soft ass shit we brought against Denver and Seattle. Whatever you may say about Malik, he was a warrior.

What was he going to do? Throw a towel at them?

Youd be suprised how many people would come to the game now that Malik would be back.

Yeah, if only Malik was around, those playoff games would have sold out.

weebo
08-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Why would the defending champs ever need Malik to help sell tickets? :rolleyes

bigbendbruisebrother
08-13-2005, 06:09 PM
What was he going to do? Throw a towel at them?

Yeah, if only Malik was around, those playoff games would have sold out.

You tell 'em AH. And if Malik was around, we would have beaten those teams! Oh wait, we did.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
There is no way Rose is coming back, we don't need him

Notorious H.O.P.
08-13-2005, 06:18 PM
IMO, have Malik replace Massenburg's spot and have that locker room presence.

I'm pretty sure Malik is hoping for a lot more than Massenburg minutes and he's not going to get them here.

I really like how some people around here keep pegging good players in their relative prime as coming here to accept Massenburg's bench role and minutes.

The fact is that they are going to go where they are going to get playing time. The only people that want TMass minutes is young players who are hoping for a chance at a future in the NBA or guys like TMass. People at the end of their careers hoping to contribute a couple of minutes toward a championship ring.

Any established player with gas left in the tank is not going to accept that role, for money and pride's sake.

SequSpur
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
If he gets released, Id be first in line to bring him back.

You bring Malik back, having him on the bench would be beyond fantastic for the team.

IMO, the championship didn't totally feel right, without Malik there. :lol

Id love to bring Malik back, I dont care how many big men you have, you can never have enough veteran leadership. :lol

IMO, have Malik replace Massenburg's spot and have that locker room presence. :lol

Everyone forgets how effected the team was after he got traded. :lol

IMO, bringing back Malik would fantastic. :lol

Imagine the public sentimate for the Spurs and the tickets sold, if you bring him back. :lol

Do it Pop

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:idiot

2centsworth
08-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Rose was only traded before because of his ass contract. He would be great if he could come for not so much money.
Don't believe that. He was traded for more than just money.

Chris
08-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Malik messed up his last 1.5 seasons here. He got essentially no "effective" PT in that time, while the Spurs have gotten stronger in the front-line where a tweener like Malik just is not competitive, not able to contirbute.

I like Malik the person a lot. But Malik the bball player has very little to contribute to Spurs.

The Spurs leadership, strengthened by the 05 Title with Tim and Manu, is in excellent, productive status. Malik has nothing to contribute there, either.

Ok, Bring Malik back to please the fans, as sentimental favorite (role he earned BEFORE he starting screwing up), but it doesn't make any basketball sense.

That's bullshit. Malik put up points, rebounds, and 101% hustle every minute he played. Saying "Malik the bball player has very little to contribute to the Spurs" is blasphemy. Go look up the stats.

picnroll
08-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Spurs need a reliable backup PG and a long 3. They don't need Malik.

ducks
08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
pullling your jersey over your head does not count 110% in by book

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-13-2005, 09:56 PM
101% hustle

Nothing says hustle like pulling your jersey over your head while your man runs down the court for a wide open bucket.

Go look up the stats.

Do you really wanna go there? His stats had decreased in every season since he signed his fat contract.

Chris
08-13-2005, 10:05 PM
You're judging him on one incident. It was an accident. Every Spurs player has a bad night.

Not manning up on D for one possession can be attributed to just about every NBA player. Were the consequences of the Spur's season affected by that one play?

Malik is all hustle and his stats were great considering his "limited" minutes.

boutons
08-13-2005, 10:21 PM
The last good season Malik had was 02/03, where he was a huge contributor to the championhip, avg'ing 10 and 6 and "energy and hustle" in 24 mpg.

Since then as a Spur, a huge drop-off in contribution, more than his decrease in stats, which is why he's now a Knick.

The Spurs are better now, Malik, even 02/03 Malik, would have a hard time getting PT.

wildbill2u
08-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Couldn't we have one giant permanent thread called the "Re-tread Thread" where all the people who want Malik and Jax and DA and other fan favorites back could rant and rave and piss and moan?

But the rule would be that they could never mention those players on any other thread or they'd be banned by the site administrators.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey, you said...

Malik put up points, rebounds, and 101% hustle every minute he played.

Which I pointed to but one of several examples where that wasn't the case.

Like boutons said, the last good season Rose had was 2002-2003. Shit, I'd argue that the Malik Rose we all knew and loved (the one you are describing) retired with DRob. What was left after was a shell of a bench energy player who thought he should be scoring like Tim, passing like Manu, and defending like DRob, while having the physical attributes to do none of the above.

Dex
08-14-2005, 12:22 AM
But he was the Pumpfake Master, guys! :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
08-14-2005, 12:59 AM

But Nazr has taken over that title and surpassed him in that category I believe. I always thought Malik pumpfaked a lot, until I saw Nazr. I always thought Malik had butterhands, until I saw Nazr. That being said, I don't think Malik will get waived and don't think the Spurs would have interest in Malik back here unless it was for a bargain basement price.

Monday will be an interesting day. Free agency has kind of stalled out waiting on the amnesty cuts. It will be interesting to see who finally gets waived and what trickles down from there.

Kori Ellis
08-14-2005, 12:59 AM

But Nazr has taken over that title and surpassed him in that category I believe. I always thought Malik pumpfaked a lot, until I saw Nazr. I always thought Malik had butterhands, until I saw Nazr. That being said, I don't think Malik will get waived and don't think the Spurs would have interest in Malik back here unless it was for a bargain basement price.

Monday will be an interesting day. Free agency has kind of stalled out waiting on the amnesty cuts. It will be interesting to see who finally gets waived and what trickles down from there.

Dex
08-14-2005, 01:29 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/nazr_mohammed.jpg = http://www.homegrocer.com/images/products/i%20cant%20believe%20web.jpg?

Somebody contact Unsolved Mysteries :lol

TheTruth
08-14-2005, 12:50 PM
The Michael Finley rule?

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
What's worse than Spurs fans dumping on a key role player in two championship runs? Saying they wouldn't want him back if Uncle Zeke was paying his contract.

Fuck all of you dumb motherfuckers.

SequSpur
08-14-2005, 11:49 PM
The only thing Malik did that was key to a championship was to leave SA in that trade.

Wake up.

Vashner
08-15-2005, 12:03 AM
The only thing Malik did that was key to a championship was to leave SA in that trade.

Wake up.

Anyone that does not respect a former Spur with 2 rings ... Malik is a sports god in San Antonio... matters not what the future brings...

Fuck sakes... Barkley and Kidd don't even have a fucking ring... talk is talk bullshit walks...

gospursgojas
08-15-2005, 01:06 AM
What's worse than Spurs fans dumping on a key role player in two championship runs? Saying they wouldn't want him back if Uncle Zeke was paying his contract.

Fuck all of you dumb motherfuckers.

Im with MB on this one....

I think the biggest reason the Spurs traded Malik was b/c his contract was just to damn big. He knows the Spurs system inside and out by now, most importantly their defensive system. And he was a good spark off the bench, and thats something the Spurs defenatly needed last year, just look at how they had to bring Manu off the bench in the Denver series.

If they had a chance to keep him for less money they would...and now they do. With Rasho showing no heart they should sign Malik and dump Rasho off, maybe use the same method the Knicks did with Malik in that of the "Amnesty Rule".

boutons
08-15-2005, 01:13 AM
"he was a good spark off the bench"

Malik just wasn't for the last season and half he was here. And maybe his head will be more fucked up coming back than it was when he left.

Malik may be popular in SA, but he isn't a "sport god" by any measure, and certainly not with the Spurs coaches.

gospursgojas
08-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Who in here said he was a "sport god"

CalsonicKansei
08-15-2005, 01:54 AM
If sign mailik rose or pick him up or whatever, does that mean we got Nazr for free?

boutons
08-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Vashner: "Malik is a sports god in San Antonio"

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Uncle Zeke may just have given the Spurs Mohammed, Rose and about $25 mil (more if you count the lux tax savings for the Spurs) for two low 1st round picks and a half season rental of Rose. So shut the fuck up already and count your blessings, Holt Cat and Spurs fans.

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2005, 09:01 AM
You guys know where the logical fit for Malik is if he gets waived?

The Lakers for 1/2 the MLE.

Malik is in his prime and is gonna want playing time and exposure. He can get it in LA.

I don't care how much we like Malik...it would be a bad career move for him to come to SA to be the third or fourth option off the bench...

picnroll
08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
If Malik was cut by NY and offered a vet minimum by the Spurs but signed for more money elsewhere would you STFU or still bitch about how cheap Holt is?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 09:09 AM
If Malik was cut by NY and offered a vet minimum by the Spurs but signed for more money elsewhere would you STFU or still bitch about how cheap Holt is?

When the Spurs let Mohammed walk will you?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 09:10 AM
You guys know where the logical fit for Malik is if he gets waived?

The Lakers for 1/2 the MLE.

Malik is in his prime and is gonna want playing time and exposure. He can get it in LA.

I don't care how much we like Malik...it would be a bad career move for him to come to SA to be the third or fourth option off the bench...

He'd be a great fit for the Heat and Suns as well.

50 cent
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
He's not coming back and we don't need him.

picnroll
08-15-2005, 12:16 PM
When the Spurs let Mohammed walk will you?
Depends on how he plays. I'm not sure Pop sees Nazr as the long term solution at C., particularly if he doesn't grasp the Spurs defensive scheme better. Also I wonder if Pop's ultimate vision isn't a center with better offensive skills, better shot, better passing and better hands than Nazr.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
He's not coming back and we don't need him.

When the Spurs lose both Radosoft and Nazr you'll sing a different tune.