PDA

View Full Version : Duncan is 100% a product of the Spurs system

myhc
06-01-2014, 10:54 AM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=255107&page=3

Originally Posted by AirBud#10 View Post
Honestly that's a huge reason I'm pulling for the Heat. I 100% believe that Duncan is a product of the Spurs system and had he gone somewhere else he would not be considered to be nearly as great as he is now (not that's he's bad, I just really doubt most people would think he was better than Garnett if he didn't play for the Spurs, and he sure as hell wouldn't even be mentioned alongside Hakeem).

:rollin

Ron Swanson
06-01-2014, 10:57 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-TeGC.gif

BillMc
06-01-2014, 11:00 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-TeGC.gif

:lol

boutons_deux
06-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes, Tim w/o Pop's organization, culture, would not have achieved as much. Tim's success is a product of Pop's organization, but Tim is his own product.

Blake
06-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Michael and Kobe are just products of the triangle.

wouldn't be top ten players on other teams

hitmantb
06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree 100% the gap between KG and Duncan is not as big as perceived, I still think Duncan is better overall but had their original team be switched, we will most likely rank KG ahead of Duncan at this time of their careers. Duncan doesn't strike me as someone that would pull a "decision" and he was very lucky to be drafted by a team that won 59 games and only got into the lottery because of injury. Popovich also transformed from an above-average coach to one of the greatest of all time (definitely greatest of all time in term of player development and set plays, Phil is the best at ego management).

DMC
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
I agree 100% the gap between KG and Duncan is not as big as perceived, I still think Duncan is better overall but had their original team be switched, we will most likely rank KG ahead of Duncan at this time of their careers. Duncan doesn't strike me as someone that would pull a "decision" and he was very lucky to be drafted by a team that won 59 games and only got into the lottery because of injury. Popovich also transformed from an above-average coach to one of the greatest of all time (definitely greatest of all time in term of player development).

Translation: Players and coaches wouldn't be as great as they are if they had different circumstances.

SpursRock20
06-01-2014, 12:05 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=255107&page=3

Originally Posted by AirBud#10 View Post
Honestly that's a huge reason I'm pulling for the Heat. I 100% believe that Duncan is a product of the Spurs system and had he gone somewhere else he would not be considered to be nearly as great as he is now (not that's he's bad, I just really doubt most people would think he was better than Garnett if he didn't play for the Spurs, and he sure as hell wouldn't even be mentioned alongside Hakeem).

:rollin

Garnett couldn't have played any where near the minutes that Duncan played last night. He would have been totally gassed in OT.

vander
06-01-2014, 12:23 PM
The fame of pop and the system are just the product of Tim Duncan.

FromWayDowntown
06-01-2014, 01:46 PM
There as no system until there was Tim Duncan.

For anyone who subscribes to the view that the system made Tim Duncan, the 1999-2003 NBA Playoffs say "hi." There was nothing like the Spurs current system in place back then. Just look at 2002, when he basically took on the Shaq-Kobe Lakers by himself and averaged 29-17-4-3 or his numbers in the last 3 rounds in 2003: 28-12-5 against LAL; 28-17-5-3 against Dallas; 24-17-5-5 against the Nets. Those weren't system numbers.

Saying that Tim Duncan is the product of the system, rather than the entire reason the system works is both ridiculous and ignorant. It's basically a shorthand for saying "I don't ever watch the Spurs."

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 01:49 PM
:lmao sook spin this shit

Malik Hairston
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
It's amazing that Steve Kerr is the only person in the media/casual fans that remembers that Pop ran a vanilla offense for virtually the entire "prime Duncan" era:lol..

These "new-look" Spurs didn't exist until 2011, when Pop realized that "old vets" as role players was obsolete in the NBA, and it wasn't until the Grizzlies embarrassment that Pop realized the Spurs need to go back to a defensive, 2-way mentality, rather than being an offense-first team..

Pop's offensive creativity has improved dramatically over the past few years..he's human, he's capable of improving himself and growing as a coach, I don't know why people act like he has coached the same style since '96:lol..

quentin_compson
06-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Duncan would have been a great player anywhere. Sure, maybe he wouldn't have four rings by now or the same amount of MVPs or stuff like that, but those things are based on luck as in "things going your way" more than people often times are willing to acknowledge. One or two bounces of the ball sometimes are all that stand between winning and losing, as we Spurs fans know all too well after last year.
But Duncan is someone that I'm sure would have excelled everywhere, and probably even in any basketball era, too.

SnakeBoy
06-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Pop readily admits this. It's amazing op has managed to get it completely backwards.

Russ
06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Duncan created the damn Spurs system as much as he benefitted from it.

To say Duncan is a product of the Spurs "system" is the type of ignorant revisionist history normally reserved for national NBA writers.

(And whomever else may have decided to keep Tim out of the NBA All Star Game this year.)

tim_duncan_fan
06-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Put Tim Duncan in a spot like LA where high-end players come fast and often and the dude might be playing for 7 rings right now instead of 5, tbqh.

rascal
06-01-2014, 06:44 PM

This
The system was built around Duncan, Pop coat tailed on Duncan.

SpurSwag
06-01-2014, 06:55 PM
There as no system until there was Tim Duncan.

For anyone who subscribes to the view that the system made Tim Duncan, the 1999-2003 NBA Playoffs say "hi." There was nothing like the Spurs current system in place back then. Just look at 2002, when he basically took on the Shaq-Kobe Lakers by himself and averaged 29-17-4-3 or his numbers in the last 3 rounds in 2003: 28-12-5 against LAL; 28-17-5-3 against Dallas; 24-17-5-5 against the Nets. Those weren't system numbers.

Saying that Tim Duncan is the product of the system, rather than the entire reason the system works is both ridiculous and ignorant. It's basically a shorthand for saying "I don't ever watch the Spurs."