PDA

View Full Version : Duncan ISO on Ibaka at Crunch Time: Genius or Accident?

wildbill2u
06-01-2014, 11:22 AM
The first time it happened, I said, "oh no, Ibaka's been blocking him all night under the basket and Duncan has no foot speed anymore. This has to be an accidental matchup".

Then the Spurs went back to it and you could see the rest of the team clearing out for Tim to go iso on Ibaka.

Was this a genius move by POp or just something that a veteran superstar took into his own hands for crunch time?

Whatever, it worked and was partially the reason for our win.

exstatic
06-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Ibaka isn't a good post defender, at all. He's much better at blocks when he comes off his man and blocks someone else. Tim simply bodied into him, negating his jumping ability, just like a guard would.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Ibaka isn't a good post defender, at all. He's much better at blocks when he comes off his man and blocks someone else. Tim simply bodied into him, negating his jumping ability, just like a guard would.

This. Most (virtually all) of Ibaka's blocks come when someone else (like Perkins) is the primary defender, and the shooter gets the ball up over that person. Ibaka is able then to use the space created by the initial defender to jump for the block. If the shooter goes right at him, he doesn't have time or space to get the block off.

Poolboy5623
06-01-2014, 11:56 AM
In a tight game like that, on the road, you can't just keep chucking 3s and expect to win.

wildbill2u
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM

But is was a surprising strategy to go at the best blocking forward in the game. As a coach or player like Tim, it takes a lot of confidence to start that at crunch time.

hitmantb
06-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Ibaka played 44 minutes before OT started on a bad calf, vs Duncan playing 34 minutes at that time. This basically canceled out the age factor and we all know prime Duncan would eat the current Ibaka alive.

That and Spurs simply didn't have very many options left with Parker out. And Duncan, while no longer have the stamina to take over an entire game, can still do it in short stretches as an all-time great. I am so glad we won this game. It had all the ingredients of Miami game 6, a missed free throw in crunch time, OT against a team with the two best stars, and Duncan willed the team to win tonight! I hope this erased some of the game 6 shadows in their hearts!

InRareForm
06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Old man game with all the postup knowledge can easily take ibaka on the block and score 2.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Common sense. We had no point guard on the floor, and god knows Manure would've turned the ball over. In fact he almost did turn the ball over getting it to Duncan. Westbrook was just a hair late.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Ibaka is an average one on one defender. Tim could have done it all night. But the purpose of moving the ball during the game was to make the rest of the thunder players play d and tire them out.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2014, 01:20 PM
The strategy earlier was to have Bobo post up the entire Thunder team including Ibaka, which worked quite well. Since the closing lineup had Diaw on the arc and Ibaka was the sole post defender, the Spurs decided to try a little four down with Tim. It worked, so why not try it again (and again and again)? Seemed like OKC collapsed the D only once and relatively slowly -- so they kept going to the well.

BackHome
06-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Old Man River came through in crunch time.

hitmanyr2k
06-01-2014, 01:38 PM
One of the blocks Ibaka got on Duncan in crunch time was actually the result of Duncan getting fouled. At first glance it looked liked Duncan hesitated and then got blocked by Ibaka but Durant actually chopped Duncan's arm on the way up (an obvious foul and the ref was right there) forcing Duncan to regather himself and go up which gave Ibaka time to measure the shot. You could see Duncan was irate with the ref after getting his shot blocked.

testies
06-01-2014, 01:41 PM
just avoiding turnovers

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
One of the blocks Ibaka got on Duncan in crunch time was actually the result of Duncan getting fouled. At first glance it looked liked Duncan hesitated and then got blocked by Ibaka but Durant actually chopped Duncan's arm on the way up (an obvious foul and the ref was right there) forcing Duncan to regather himself and go up which gave Ibaka time to measure the shot. You could see Duncan was irate with the ref after getting his shot blocked.

Yeah I remember the play you're talking about. Fortunately we had a bit of a make up non call in the end since the refs did not call a moving screen on Duncan for Manu's clutch 3 pointer. Duncan also got free throws on Durant-level contact against Ibaka once during overtime. Then again, they literally stole 2 points from us with the no call on that obvious goaltend. I honestly don't know which team came out ahead in terms of a net ref benefit.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Obviously I can't call this game "fixed" with the horrendous calls/lack of calls both ways but ref incompetency is still a frightening thing. One or two more incompetent calls in OKC's favor and they win the game.

06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
just avoiding turnovers

smaka
06-01-2014, 02:16 PM
That second basket by Duncan was so great. With Westbrook and Ibaka defending him, he shot a fadeaway jumper and nailed it. Who knows what would've happend had it not gone in.

Good old Timmy :flag:

Horse
06-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Ibaka played 44 minutes before OT started on a bad calf, vs Duncan playing 34 minutes at that time. This basically canceled out the age factor and we all know prime Duncan would eat the current Ibaka alive.

That and Spurs simply didn't have very many options left with Parker out. And Duncan, while no longer have the stamina to take over an entire game, can still do it in short stretches as an all-time great. I am so glad we won this game. It had all the ingredients of Miami game 6, a missed free throw in crunch time, OT against a team with the two best stars, and Duncan willed the team to win tonight! I hope this erased some of the game 6 shadows in their hearts!
Fuck ibaka and the excuses he's young and was fine games 4 and 5. Timmy just took another young pup to school.

hitmanyr2k
06-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Yeah I remember the play you're talking about. Fortunately we had a bit of a make up non call in the end since the refs did not call a moving screen on Duncan for Manu's clutch 3 pointer. Duncan also got free throws on Durant-level contact against Ibaka once during overtime. Then again, they literally stole 2 points from us with the no call on that obvious goaltend. I honestly don't know which team came out ahead in terms of a net ref benefit.

I didn't think that fadeaway was Durant-level contact at all. I saw Ibaka hit Duncan on the elbow as he released the shot.

DMC
06-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Common sense. We had no point guard on the floor, and god knows Manure would've turned the ball over. In fact he almost did turn the ball over getting it to Duncan. Westbrook was just a hair late.

That's a shitty, inaccurate take. Manu was a beast last night, huge reason the Spurs won.

Agloco
06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
That second basket by Duncan was so great. With Westbrook and Ibaka defending him, he shot a fadeaway jumper and nailed it. Who knows what would've happend had it not gone in.

Westbrick and Jackson were defending I believe.

smaka
06-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Westbrick and Jackson were defending I believe.
Nope, it was Ibaka again. Spurs played the same play two straight possessions. Both times Duncan was guarded by Abaka.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 03:04 PM
That's a shitty, inaccurate take. Manu was a beast last night, huge reason the Spurs won.

I've made a mental note to drop my perception of your IQ from 110 to 105.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I didn't think that fadeaway was Durant-level contact at all. I saw Ibaka hit Duncan on the elbow as he released the shot.

Oh did he? I thought they were calling the contact down low.

DMC
06-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I've made a mental note to drop my perception of your IQ from 110 to 105.

Illustrates the accuracy of your perception, thus my comment.

DMC
06-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Oh did he? I thought they were calling the contact down low.

Illustrates the accuracy of your perception, thus my comment.

Like I said.

Agloco
06-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Nope, it was Ibaka again. Spurs played the same play two straight possessions. Both times Duncan was guarded by Abaka.

Perhaps we're talking about different shots?

This is the one I'm referring to. It was Timmy's second FG during that 7 point outburst and the last one of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNPYG0U2nc

siraulo23
06-01-2014, 08:57 PM
manu mentioned they were dead tired in OT and decided to go to TD to take em home

and he did, i honestly didnt like the decision but it paid off :tu TD

gilmor
06-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Honestly Spurs don't have more options with Parker out. Kawhi is playing out of his minds but still lack that killer instinct. The best choice given all the cards is to play 4-down..

MannyIsGod
06-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Wait, Spurs fans actually think going to the GOAT powerforward is some kind of an accident?

What in the fuck?

MannyIsGod
06-01-2014, 09:10 PM
But is was a surprising strategy to go at the best blocking forward in the game. As a coach or player like Tim, it takes a lot of confidence to start that at crunch time.

No its not. Going at a great blocker is the way to beat them. Try to jump when someone puts a shoulder into you and tell me its the same as coming off the weak side. Ibaka is an athlete that can close distances amazingly fast but he's not the strongest of players by any means. Timmy struggles more with players he can't move or over power.

Whisky Dog
06-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Time for a new avatar. Donovan's finished an not even on the WC roster.

Of course it wasn't accidental. Abaka doesn't have the size to hang with Duncan on the block one on one. Even 38 yr old Duncan.

MannyIsGod
06-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Time for a new avatar. Donovan's finished an not even on the WC roster.

Of course it wasn't accidental. Abaka doesn't have the size to hang with Duncan on the block one on one. Even 38 yr old Duncan.

Finished? Not quite. Definitely not on the WC roster but definitely the GOAT US player. I"ll switch before Ghana though. Probably will go with MB4, the current best US player.

boutons_deux
06-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Remember how the press was obsessed with Ibaka's injury?

and then cheering his miraculous comeback? :lol

and why didn't Ibaka ostentatiously cross himself and point to Heaven after Tim destroyed him and OKC? Where was his God then?

ezau
06-01-2014, 09:56 PM

Yeap.

ezau
06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking half of Ibaka's block each game is a goaltend. Fucking spearchucker.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking half of Ibaka's block each game is a goaltend. Fucking spearchucker.Why do you have to call him that?

jARS mEsH sEt
06-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Remember how the press was obsessed with Ibaka's injury?

and then cheering his miraculous comeback? :lol

and why didn't Ibaka ostentatiously cross himself and point to Heaven after Tim destroyed him and OKC? Where was his God then?

god was busy ignoring the desperate, soul-crushing prayers of innocent children who, statistically, were facing imminent death at the hands of nature at that very moment (e.g. drowning) while god was busy partially healing Serge's calf so he could win 2 games and get bounced out of the 2014 NBA WCF.

wUVXEmJRGns

superbigtime
06-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Tim is a basketball God.

phxspurfan
06-01-2014, 11:56 PM
The strategy earlier was to have Bobo post up the entire Thunder team

Great strat, in retrospect. It worked against us too when Diaw was on the Suns.

smaka
06-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Perhaps we're talking about different shots?

This is the one I'm referring to. It was Timmy's second FG during that 7 point outburst and the last one of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNPYG0U2nc
Damn, I thought it was Ibaka :lol

Drachen
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
The best part about this was shutting Miller up. I mean he started "worrying" about Duncan's minutes in the third quarter when he only had 22 and didn't stop until the end of the game. Shut the fuck up Miller.

Damn, that guy was my favorite non spur player, but get out of the Damn booth.

Kidd K
06-02-2014, 10:46 AM
It was on purpose. Ibaka gets his blocks cheaply when players are occupied with other defenders. Ibaka just rushes in for a cheap weak side block. That's about 80-90% of his blocks. He has always been a mediocre post defender tbh. Anyone like Duncan, Shaq, etc, will beat the brakes off Ibaka one on one. Old ass Timmy literally walked right through Ibaka's overrated defense repeatedly in OT to seal that shit. He didn't give a fuck about the hype.

7 points 2 boards, good D, and making Ibaka pick up fouls # 4 and 5 in 3 minute. GOAT PF mode.

said7
06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
It was pretty horrible defense by Ibaka. For some reason he gave up the baseline on every shot.
Anyone who knows guarding Tim the best thing to do is force him middle and he's long enough to block the sweeping hook.