PDA

View Full Version : That Ibaka goaltend..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-01-2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLUvrm0SEs

How huge would this call had been if Ginobili missed the three at the end? Wow.. can't believe they didn't call that..

testies
06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
it kind of can look that westbrook blocked the shot

refs were fine yesterday, to my surprise

Dex
06-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Spurs knew they were going to have to beat the Thunder and the refs in Oklahoma City, and they simply put their heads down and powered through.

The officiating wasn't great on either side last night, and they actually showed considerable restraint by not falling for a number of outrageous flops. Still, that could have potentially been another series-changing missed call to benefit the Thunder.

Fortunately, Timmy and Manu had other plans.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Someone claimed that the call ended up being right because, even though the ball clearly hit the backboard before being swatted away, it hit the backboard below the rim, meaning that it wasn't a goaltend.

I have never heard that interpretation.

Does anyone on here know for sure what the rule is?

DPG21920
06-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Someone claimed that the call ended up being right because, even though the ball clearly hit the backboard before being swatted away, it hit the backboard below the rim, meaning that it wasn't a goaltend.

Whomever told you that is wrong. If it hits the back board as in this situation, it's a goaltend.

InRareForm
06-01-2014, 12:08 PM
We were due to out manuever bad calls and make big shots. It's meant to be we win the title.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Whomever told you that is wrong. If it hits the back board as in this situation, it's a goaltend.

Thanks. That is what I had always heard, but I thought maybe it had changed. It was a twitter from last night.

Typical London Boy
06-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Always hear the BS "they can only review it if it's in the last two minutes" excuse everytime a decision goes against the Spurs... and yet, here we are in the last two minutes... and they can't review it. What a fucking surprise that is.

Am pretty confident that had it been for OKC, we'd have come back from commercials to see they'd been given the two points.

Beaverfuzz
06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks. That is what I had always heard, but I thought maybe it had changed. It was a twitter from last night.

You believe everything you read don't you Mr Gullible? Was a clear goal tend.

baseline bum
06-01-2014, 12:15 PM
What horseshit about the officiating being good last night. The Spurs beat a horrible goaltend and 18 Oklahoma food stamps in the fourth.

Raven
06-01-2014, 12:16 PM

yes, the interpretation is that you should punch that dude in the face.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
yes, the interpretation is that you should punch that dude in the face.

lol!! Will remember the advice for future reference!

Baam
06-01-2014, 12:19 PM
edit actually it's wrong

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Of course I believe everything I read. That is why I asked the question. If I didn't believe everything I read I would have just accepted that statement without asking. So clever of you to notice that character flaw of mine.

06-01-2014, 12:24 PM
edit actually it's wrong
it hits the backboard below the rim, but it's blocked above the rim. So is it a goaltend?

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Of course I believe everything I read. That is why I asked the question. If I didn't believe everything I read I would have just accepted that statement without asking. So clever of you to notice that character flaw of mine.

It was actually Kenny Smith who said it on Inside the NBA and Shaq and Barkley and Ernie started hammering him for being so stupid, he also said kawhi was lucky on the steal on westchuck, not a good night for a usually solid analyst.

DJR210
06-01-2014, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLUvrm0SEs

How huge would this call had been if Ginobili missed the three at the end? Wow.. can't believe they didn't call that..

Not sure if serious.

Kindergarten Cop
06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
it hits the backboard below the rim, but it's blocked above the rim. So is it a goaltend?

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

Section I-A Player Shall Not:

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

Jenks
06-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Need to see the video of durant's "block" on Tim, the one where Tim recovered and handed it off to Kawhi (who missed). IMO that was a much worse no call than the goaltend.

06-01-2014, 12:30 PM

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight. Ok, got it. thanks :tu good thing we fought through the officiating.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
It was actually Kenny Smith who said it on Inside the NBA and Shaq and Barkley and Ernie started hammering him for being so stupid, he also said kawhi was lucky on the steal on westchuck, not a good night for a usually solid analyst.

It was also on a twitter from someone called Gary Parrish.

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2014, 12:37 PM
It was also on a twitter from someone called Gary Parrish.

lmfao who? sounds reputable

UZER
06-01-2014, 12:40 PM
One thing I don't like that I'm starting to see is players missing the block but slapping the backboard extra hard trying to disrupt the ball coming of the glass. This used to also be called goaltending all the time back in the day, but they've really started letting it go.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
lmfao who? sounds reputable

Have no clue who the guy is and never claimed it was correct. Just noting that it was written…I had not heard the comment from the Overtime show.

Joseph Kony
06-01-2014, 12:43 PM
The refs actually called the game almost 99% right, so I'll let it slide. There were so many flops by Durbeta and Westchimp I thought for sure would get them calls but didn't. Props to the refs tbh

TampaDude
06-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Refs could have whistled Duncan for a moving screen on the Ginobili three, but let it go. IMHO it was a makeup non-call for the Ibaka goaltend.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 01:09 PM
we did it guys. we beat the thunderefs

xmas1997
06-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Typical, the whole series has been swayed in OKC favor.
The other night Wstbrook was blatantly out of bounds when he stole the ball and the refs didn't make that call either.
An easy argument could be made that if the refs were really fair, then this series would have been a sweep by the Spurs.
After games 3 and 4 the Spurs HAD to realize that they were playing more than just the Thunder, and rose to the occasion!
They had best realize right now that it will be even worse against the Heat.

buttsR4rebounding
06-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Need to see the video of durant's "block" on Tim, the one where Tim recovered and handed it off to Kawhi (who missed). IMO that was a much worse no call than the goaltend.

Yes. Not only didn't Durant get all ball, he got no ball...all forearm. My wife had to calm me down after that replay.

thiste
06-01-2014, 01:17 PM
What about that KD block on Duncan which was zero ball and all arm? No call either. Was like, two minutes before the goaltend one.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 01:19 PM
What about that KD block on Duncan which was zero ball and all arm? No call either. Was like, two minutes before the goaltend one.
i think it was the previous possession

thiste
06-01-2014, 01:21 PM
I mean, just show me ONE no call HALF as blatant as those two, but in favor of the Spurs. You just can't.

Mikeanaro
06-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Am pretty confident that had it been for OKC, we'd have come back from commercials to see they'd been given the two points.
Absolutely.

Spurminator
06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
These refs were obviously the most ineffective NBA conspirators of all time, they completely failed on their orders to get the Thunder into the Finals.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Always hear the BS "they can only review it if it's in the last two minutes" excuse everytime a decision goes against the Spurs... and yet, here we are in the last two minutes... and they can't review it. What a fucking surprise that is.

Am pretty confident that had it been for OKC, we'd have come back from commercials to see they'd been given the two points.They could only review it if they had actually made the goaltending call. I wouldn't be surprised if they just start whistling anything close in the last two minutes now.

Yes, KD got all arm on that Duncan block.

Yes, Duncan got away with a pretty obvious moving screen, but maybe Fisher's flop helped the refs decide the makeup non-call.

thiste
06-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Do not get me started on Fisher :)

MultiTroll
06-01-2014, 01:30 PM
S they actually showed considerable restraint by not falling for a number of outrageous flops. Still, that could have potentially been another series-changing missed call to benefit the Thunder.
Im fairly stunned they did not call the Derek Swisher flop when Tim screened him on the Manu three pointer.
Another of Fishers ultra faggy flops.
Refs swallowed. Very surprising.
Regina and Kerr calling it a foul on Tim. :rolleyes

wildbill2u
06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
It looked to me like the ball's downward trajectory after it hit the glass would have been below the rim of the basket and not even close to going in. I don't know how much leeway the rules give the Refs have on a call like that one. Can they figure in whether the ball had a chance to fall into the basket?

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2014, 01:50 PM
It looked to me like the ball's downward trajectory after it hit the glass would have been below the rim of the basket and not even close to going in. I don't know how much leeway the rules give the Refs have on a call like that one. Can they figure in whether the ball had a chance to fall into the basket?

have you ever played basketball? its a black and white rule lol

Agloco
06-01-2014, 02:00 PM
What horseshit about the officiating being good last night. The Spurs beat a horrible goaltend and 18 Oklahoma food stamps in the fourth.

This. The goaltend was a huge miss, as well as Durants "block" on Timmy. That was very obviously a foul. Bad miss.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/06/01/2014-05-3119_30_59.gif

Manudona
06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I mean, just show me ONE no call HALF as blatant as those two, but in favor of the Spurs. You just can't.

I can't but I can show you another blatant no call against Manu in the previous game, a "Block" just like Tim's, all arm no ball, I think it was Ibaka or Durant

DMC
06-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Yep. I was counting off the foodstamps. I told my friend there would be a huge FT discrepancy in the 4th, at least enough to cover the deficit. He couldn't believe it as it was happening.

Kidd K
06-01-2014, 02:06 PM
You know what pissed me off about that play the most? It wasn't the goaltend, or even that the call was missed. It was finding out that the "new goaltend review rule" only applied to OVERTURNING goaltend calls, NOT to give a team the points they earned. Fucking USELESS review rule that does nothing to address all the missed goaltend calls on Ibaka and other players "blocks". Ibaka probably has at least 100 blocks that were actually goaltends. He has nearly 2 dozen on us in the playoffs alone.

lolwut? Durant's "block" on Duncan's dunk at the end was all wrist and forearm. There were also several hacks and rakes by OKC that went uncalled in the last few mins. Meanwhile all touch contact on OKC shots resulted in FTAs per par.

Agloco
06-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Agree. I was surprised to hear Kenny say that about the Kawhi play. There's a reason Kawhi was in position to make the play in the first place. Being fortunate probably wasn't a factor.

His comments on the goaltend were pretty dumb as well.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Yep. I was counting off the foodstamps. I told my friend there would be a huge FT discrepancy in the 4th, at least enough to cover the deficit. He couldn't believe it as it was happening.
Yep. The Spurs reached the foul limit with 9:24 to go in the quarter :lol

4down
06-01-2014, 02:23 PM

OK would have cashed em in for meth tbh. Specially bubbles

DMC
06-01-2014, 02:26 PM

It's funny when RW charges into the paint and turns his back to the rim just flying through bodies with no hopes of a shot, like red rover red rover.. which they should call him anyhow, and he gets bailed out every time by the refs. I was shocked that Leonard wasn't called for a foul on that take away on the break.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 02:28 PM
It's funny when RW charges into the paint and turns his back to the rim just flying through bodies with no hopes of a shot, like red rover red rover.. which they should call him anyhow, and he gets bailed out every time by the refs. I was shocked that Leonard wasn't called for a foul on that take away on the break.
yeah its those plays that tick me off. i do think westbrook draws a ton of legitimate fouls, but as you mentioned, he gets bailed out on a play where he isn't even looking to score. its ugly to watch. unfortunately the guy knows where his bread is buttered so he uses that "strategy" quite a bit

DMC
06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
yeah its those plays that tick me off. i do think westbrook draws a ton of legitimate fouls, but as you mentioned, he gets bailed out on a play where he isn't even looking to score. its ugly to watch. unfortunately the guy knows where his bread is buttered so he uses that "strategy" quite a bit

You have (had) a team where the big 3 gathers the most FTA in the league. That's not by accident. Other teams don't do that because they don't trust they will get the calls. For some reason OKC does. You had Durant at 1, Harden at 2 and possibly Russ around the top 5 especially in the playoffs. Howard is not an issue because he's fouled intentionally. How one team gets that many calls without picking up a ton of offensive fouls is mind boggling.

If the three were on the same team getting the same stats they get now, they would be averaging over 25FTA per game. That's insane. Even when they were on the same team they were averaging close to 20FTA per game. That's obviously being taught to them, to try to get to the line and use their FT shooting ability to score points. That's a product of a coaching system that has no real alternatives, it's a gimmick that the league seems complicit on.

Knoxxx
06-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Also the Butler "block" on Manu dunk attempt. And the multiple punk ass reacharound "steals" Westbrook kept getting away with!

Knoxxx
06-01-2014, 02:54 PM
These refs were obviously the most ineffective NBA conspirators of all time, they completely failed on their orders to get the Thunder into the Finals.

Nice one, they were so incompetent they couldn't even fix the game properly!

Chinook
06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Durant had a good block on Duncan? KD went straight up, meaning Duncan initiated the contact. Durant didn't hit Tim in the forearm; Tim hit Durant in the hand.

ploto
06-01-2014, 03:14 PM
It's funny when TP charges into the paint and turns his back to the rim just flying through bodies with no hopes of a shot, like red rover red rover.. which they should call him anyhow, and he gets bailed out every time by the refs.
FIFY

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Durant had a good block on Duncan? KD went straight up, meaning Duncan initiated the contact. Durant didn't hit Tim in the forearm; Tim hit Durant in the hand.
awful lot of contact for a guy in the restricted area. ask yourself what the call would have been if we had the same exact play but the players switched, with duncan contesting KD like that

Andthentherewas21
06-01-2014, 03:18 PM

If you watch the gif Durant brings down each of his hands at the last moment to hit Duncan's forearm. Its not the most blatant foul imaginable but it is a foul.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 03:19 PM
If you watch the gif Durant brings down each of his hands at the last moment to hit Duncan's forearm. Its not the most blatant foul imaginable but it is a foul.
this. his arms aren't exactly vertical in the first place either

Chinook
06-01-2014, 03:20 PM
awful lot of contact for a guy in the restricted area. ask yourself what the call would have been if we had the same exact play but the players switched, with duncan contesting KD like that

The charge circle doesn't matter in a case of verticality. If you jump straight up, you can be anywhere you want.

No, he doesn't. Duncan plows into him, forcing his arms to bend. Durant is not going for the block at all.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 03:23 PM

if you just keep your eye on Durant's right wrist, its pretty clear. i don't think its coincidence that its also the exact moment duncan lost control of the ball

Chinook
06-01-2014, 03:24 PM

if you just keep your eye on Durant's right wrist, its pretty clear

Ignoring Duncan's left hand, then?

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Ignoring Duncan's right hand, then?
duncan's right hand is holding the ball, and it was clearly impeded by Durant's wrist action

Chinook
06-01-2014, 03:26 PM
duncan's right hand is holding the ball, and it was clearly impeded by Durant's wrist action

Edited already. Was talking about the left one.

Andthentherewas21
06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
No, he doesn't. Duncan plows into him, forcing his arms to bend. Durant is not going for the block at all.

Duncan does plow into him which would explain one of the hands hitting is arm, but given the angle Duncan is driving there is no way he hits both of Durant's arms unless Duncan sweeps his arm while driving. Duncan extends his arm it trying to dunk, but from that angle there isn't enough horizontal motion to account for both of Durant's hands hitting his forearm. However, I agree it is pretty good defense and isn't a terrible no-call

Andthentherewas21
06-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I was about to say, Duncan could have been called for the off-hand anyways, but when was the last time something like that got called in the NBA

ShoogarBear
06-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Kenny Smith . . . also said kawhi was lucky on the steal on westchuck, not a good night for a usually solid analyst.

I dropped my jaw on that one. Yeah, Kenny is usually solid but that was just plain stupid. If that was lucky, then everything Westbrook does is lucky.

DMC
06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
FIFY

Yeah, TP had 2 total FTA in 3 games. Way to kick your own retarded ass.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm just glad that the Thunder didn't have 18+ FT attempts in one quarter, a quarter they needed to come back in.

Aztecfan03
06-01-2014, 04:16 PM

If he was gullible he wouldn't be asking for confirmation, he would have been telling you that was the rule.

Aztecfan03
06-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Durant and Ibaka both had at least one "block" on Tim that should have been a foul.

thiste
06-01-2014, 04:38 PM

You gotta be kidding me :) Even if that was true, please remind me how many thousands of calls Russ & KD got away with while blatantly initiating the contact?

Beaverfuzz
06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
If he was gullible he wouldn't be asking for confirmation, he would have been telling you that was the rule.

He wasn't asking for confirmation, re-read the thread.

:flag:

poeticism707
06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
lolwut? Durant's "block" on Duncan's dunk at the end was all wrist and forearm. There were also several hacks and rakes by OKC that went uncalled in the last few mins. Meanwhile all touch contact on OKC shots resulted in FTAs per par.

The fix as expected.

poeticism707
06-01-2014, 05:11 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin

hater
06-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Horrible call but refs were ok other than that. They couldnt really help an OKC that had already mentally checked out

doobs
06-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Refs played hard

cjw
06-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Had things gone south and we lost game 7, that would have been on par with 0.4, Dirk's And One and Fisher fouling Barry, if not worse ...

Seventyniner
06-01-2014, 05:39 PM

if you just keep your eye on Durant's right wrist, its pretty clear. i don't think its coincidence that its also the exact moment duncan lost control of the ball

It looks to me like Durant jumped into Duncan, albeit slightly.

Still, the follow-through by Durant with his right hand (that taps Duncan's right wrist, causing him to lose the ball) is where I would expect the foul call. Verticality doesn't allow you to swipe down, even a little.

EVAY
06-01-2014, 05:43 PM

NO. YOU go re-read, if you can.

I said "someone claimed that.." Then I said "I have never heard that.." Then I said "Does anyone here know for sure what the rule is"?

YOU interpreted my statements, incredibly, to be an acceptance of the claim, which to most literate people, it clearly was not.

Jenks
06-01-2014, 05:50 PM

All ball. :lol

There's an even better angle they showed right as it went to commercial.

spurraider21
06-01-2014, 05:52 PM
i refuse to believe that if durant had the same exact dunk attempt and was greeted at the rim the same way that we wouldn't have gotten free throws :lol

TheyCallMePro
06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't know but I lost my voice when it wasn't called. Couldn't believe we were going to get robbed in another Game 6 at OKC.

siraulo23
06-01-2014, 06:13 PM
thank god it didnt cost the spurs the game

imagine the ST outrage

4down
06-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Ha. Enough of Serge Ibaka and his golden calf. On to the redemption. Do it.

Hemotivo
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
:reading ...

:lmao

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-01-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't think the shot would fall if ibaka didn't blocked it..

Chinook
06-01-2014, 07:11 PM
You gotta be kidding me :) Even if that was true, please remind me how many thousands of calls Russ & KD got away with while blatantly initiating the contact?

I agree Westbrook and Durant get too many calls, but I was pleased how the refs let Lock n Lock check them.

Knucklehead
06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
What I hated was when westbrook kicked his legs out like crazy at the 3 point line and no foul was called on him.

sexinthatsx
06-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Yesterday's game was the only one where the refs were actually able to control the game and keep it close for ratings purposes. All other times, it's either the Spurs blow the lead wide open with non-stop 3's, or refs bail OKC out and Spurs lose momentum and OKC wins by a large margin.

Kidd K
06-01-2014, 09:13 PM
i refuse to believe that if durant had the same exact dunk attempt and was greeted at the rim the same way that we wouldn't have gotten free throws :lol

Durant would have gotten 3 FTAs if he got hacked on a dunk attempt like that

heyheymymy
06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
thought spurs were gonna get hammered by the refs so when spurs only slight got screwed and overcame, i was pleased. the 18 FT's in the 4th was b.s., and i thought missing the goal tend was egregious. but they could've been dicks and waved off the manu three on the duncan screen. not saying its the right call, but you know they could've, (ehem, patty mills 3 pointer waved off in game 3 for example) and they let the play go on. i'm assuming they were making up for the goal tend botch.

otherwise, there was countless times in game 6 that the spurs defended a WB or KD drive and i felt the whistle coming and was pleasantly surprised to see the refs let a usual "okc call" play on. i think even the thunder players were caught off guard by this at first.

sometimes you just gotta give the spurs a chance and that's all they'll need to survive.

UZER
06-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Any complaining about Duncan's moving screen on Fisher did not watch the last two OKC possessions. Ibaka threw multiple fullback blocks trying to free kd.

Aztecfan03
06-01-2014, 10:20 PM

First he stated what some else said then he asked this: "Does anyone on here know for sure what the rule is?"

That is asking for confirmation.

superbigtime
06-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Yes. Not only didn't Durant get all ball, he got no ball...all forearm. My wife had to calm me down after that replay.

That one infuriated me too.

sexinthatsx
06-01-2014, 11:59 PM
lol I was dropping F bombs so loud I think all my neighbors heard it. I was on an emotional roller coaster and Manu's 3 to lead the Spurs by 1 with twenty-sum seconds left still had me scared. It wasn't until Diaw's free-throws when I finally calmed down.

heyheymymy
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
classic ibaka, guy always goal tends. someone should show him the nba rules on that one.

ezau
06-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Kerr or Miller said that it's an automatic goaltend if the ball hits the lower portion of the board.

Tuddy
06-02-2014, 01:43 AM
He only hacked half his arm off

Kindergarten Cop
06-02-2014, 08:07 AM

I don't think that they can figure that in, unless they are 100% positive that it wouldn't go in (which is obviously not the case here). This section of the rule defines the play we are discussing:

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

KL2
06-02-2014, 08:35 AM

That was fucking obvious, yet another no call, I watched the replay and KD clearly got all arm, just like Caron's block on I think Manu.

Carried offensively/defensively, OKC is a bad team period.

Seventyniner
06-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Kerr or Miller said that it's an automatic goaltend if the ball hits the lower portion of the board.

Only if the ball is on the way up, which it was.

spurspokesman
06-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Fortunately, Timmy and Manu had other plans.[/QUOTE]

This

Jimcs50
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM

the ball was going upward, it had great chance to go in basket, it was goal tend. Missed call that could have cost Spurs game

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
It looks to me like Durant jumped into Duncan, albeit slightly.

Still, the follow-through by Durant with his right hand (that taps Duncan's right wrist, causing him to lose the ball) is where I would expect the foul call. Verticality doesn't allow you to swipe down, even a little.

This is a foul. Called Ibaka for a foul in OT for the same exact thing. You can't put your arms in front of you when defending a shot. If you do and it hits the other players arm, its a foul. You have to be perfectly vertical going up. If Durant did this, Duncan would have gotten his shot off and probably scored.

Horrible non call. Refs kinda of made of for all the BS calls at the end with not calling one on Duncan for extending his leg out on that screen.

baseline bum
06-02-2014, 11:16 AM
nevermind

baseline bum
06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
lol I was dropping F bombs so loud I think all my neighbors heard it. I was on an emotional roller coaster and Manu's 3 to lead the Spurs by 1 with twenty-sum seconds left still had me scared. It wasn't until Diaw's free-throws when I finally calmed down.

I didn't calm down until Westbrook's shot with 7 seconds left

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1233589/ip7tCn1KGSMPH_medium.gif

RandomGuy
06-02-2014, 11:45 AM

a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

(eyup, that would seem to be right, just adding support and a link)

spurs10
06-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Any complaining about Duncan's moving screen on Fisher did not watch the last two OKC possessions. He threw multiple fullback blocks trying to free kd. Or any plays preceding it. :toast

RandomGuy
06-02-2014, 11:48 AM

see previous.

look_at_g_shred
06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Man I though for sure that was going to be another heartbreaking play to add to the list of many...

J_Paco
06-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Yes, from a certain angle it did look like a possible block by Westbrook. But it wasn't, so the refs should have (ruled it a goaltend) reviewed it and made the correct call.

And the 4th quarter was far from evenly called, my friend. The Spurs were in the penalty with more than 9 minutes remaining. How is that even possible?

J_Paco
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
FIFY

Shut the fuck up. Parker has never benefitted from that tactic as much as Westbrook, Durant and their former teammate Harden. And when Parker does go to that strategy he usual falls down in a heap (ala Dwyane Wade) and most times still doesn't get the call.

Go back to rooting for Beno and Rasho...........

Ignoring Duncan's left hand, then?

Durant's arms were never straight up, so the verticality rule doesn't apply. Tim also made contact with his face after the foul was committed, so it's kind like how Timmy got kick in the nuts and was still called for the foul on a - surprise, surprise - Westbrook drive.

Chinook
06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Shut the fuck up. Parker has never benefitted from that tactic as much as Westbrook, Durant and their former teammate Harden. And when Parker does go to that strategy he usual falls down in a heap (ala Dwyane Wade) and most times still doesn't get the call.

Go back to rooting for Beno and Rasho...........

Durant's arms were never straight up, so the verticality rule doesn't apply. Tim also made contact with his face after the foul was committed, so it's kind like how Timmy got kick in the nuts and was still called for the foul on a - surprise, surprise - Westbrook drive.

Yes, Durant went straight up. His arms bent forward after Duncan ran into him, which doesn't invalidate verticality if the bending isn't intentional. Now, did Durant slap his hand down at the very end? Maybe. But Duncan had long since hit Durant in the face before that.

lurker23
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Yes, Durant went straight up. His arms bent forward after Duncan ran into him, which doesn't invalidate verticality if the bending isn't intentional. Now, did Durant slap his hand down at the very end? Maybe. But Duncan had long since hit Durant in the face before that.

I think both guys committed a foul there, Duncan with his off arm, and Durant with bringing both arms down from vertical. I agree with you that he did a better job of staying vertical than most, but the left arm comes down quite a bit and hits Duncan's elbow (though the contact isn't 100% definitive in the video), then his right hand (barely but noticeably) comes down from vertical to slap Tim's wrist.

The goaltend was a clear blown call, and I'm so glad that didn't end up costing the Spurs the game. They need to change that rule to allow a review of goaltending in all situations under 2 minutes to play.

Beaverfuzz
06-02-2014, 12:58 PM
NO. YOU go re-read, if you can.

I said "someone claimed that.." Then I said "I have never heard that.." Then I said "Does anyone here know for sure what the rule is"?

YOU interpreted my statements, incredibly, to be an acceptance of the claim, which to most literate people, it clearly was not.

Since you weren't sure of the rule, you are initially claiming that "someone" else's assertion is correct...otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Never took a Philosophy class did you?

EVAY
06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Since you weren't sure of the rule, you are initially claiming that "someone" else's assertion is correct...otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Here is a suggestion for you: when in a hole, stop digging. I have Ph.D.

J_Paco
06-02-2014, 03:18 PM

From looking at the gif, you can plainly see that Durant has both arms up but at a slight angle (out in front of his head). I've seen Splitter and Bonner do a much better job of arms being "straight up," but they still get hit with the foul. One of many terrible missed calls by the refs, IMO.

Also, Duncan's "offensive foul" was committed after the initial contact on Duncan's arm by Durant. The referees just royally messed up quite a few calls at the end of regulation, but thankfully the team was able to overcome them.

Chinook
06-02-2014, 03:24 PM

From looking at the gif, you can plainly see that Durant has both arms up but at a slight angle. They aren't parallel to one another or beside his head. I've seen Splitter and Bonner do a much better job of arms being "straight up," but they still get hit with the foul.

I don't really care to use the, "No fair! It didn't go our way that one time, " defense. I'm not defending the competence of the officials. I disagree with calls all the time. But I thought the no-call was the right way to go, especially in real time.

J_Paco
06-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't really care to use the, "No fair! It didn't go our way that one time, " defense. I'm not defending the competence of the officials. I disagree with calls all the time. But I thought the no-call was the right way to go, especially in real time.

I highly doubt that had it been the other way around that a no-call would be the result. Like I said though the outcome went the right way in the end.

Side-note: Durant must be nearly 7 feet tall because he appears every bit as tall as Duncan in that gif.

Prose
06-02-2014, 03:30 PM
2 horrible game changing calls at the end. Foul on Duncan and goltending. I can see how refs want the player to decide the out come like when Duncan set the moving screen, but what drives me crazy is the inconsistency!!!! Westbrook gets a 3 point foul vs the clippers for the slightest touch....Duncan gets slapped so.obviously but no call....no consistency!!!! That's why people think its rigged for NBA to force a game 7. What ever spurs slaied their demonds in okc playing 5 v 8!!!!

Prose
06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Refs played hard

Prose
06-02-2014, 03:36 PM

I once watched the world cup with Portuguese people and was amazing at the amount of cursing I heard from even their grandmother...I have found my self to be exactly like them when seeing some of these calls refkc got.

Malice
06-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Life imitating art lol!

thiste
06-02-2014, 03:53 PM
And what about that obvious clear path by Fisher on Ginobili that was called as a normal foul ? Or even that time when Westbrook went kung fu fighting right into Tim's groin? Who's gonna talk about those?

Aztecfan03
06-02-2014, 06:15 PM

If he was claiming it was correct there would be no need to ask.

davidbowie
06-02-2014, 06:17 PM

my god....hahahahaa

ezau
06-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Only if the ball is on the way up, which it was.

Yes, you are correct.

HI-FI
06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I looked bugged eyed and insane after that missed goaltend. It was like watching your life flash before your eyes (not really but in a sports' sense). I just stared at the screen, pacing, thinking if that call caused this to go to overtime, then the Spurs might lose and therefore lose the whole thing, all because of a terrible no call. Fortunately the Spurs had more resolve than even I give them credit for. I can't even tell if that was a typical OKC bailout or just a fuckup by the ref. I know in 2012 they let Ibaka get away with whatever he wanted, so who knows.

I'm still kind of in shock that the Spurs won against all those odds and in that fashion.

heyheymymy
06-04-2014, 12:49 AM
i was boiling mad about that call until the spurs won. how do you miss that?