PDA

View Full Version : Nesterovic Possible best case scenario

marcus
08-13-2005, 01:13 PM
well, i believe the best chances we have of trading Nesterovic is by sending him to New York. They really don't care about money, you can realize about that with the fact they might not even release Houston.
Anyway, i was thinking Nesterovic should be traded for Jerome Williams who has 2 less years and a 3rd as team option. Besides in that deal maybe we could workout something for Rose. New York is considering him as one of the players to use the amnesty rule. Well, maybe we could agree a contract to have Rose back and New York has to release him in order to do the other deal.
As New York really need a center they might do that.

T Park
08-13-2005, 01:24 PM
As New York really need a center

Theyve got Mike Sweetney, Channing Frye, and Jerome James.

They have enough centers.

IMO the Knicks are out of the running.

Horry For 3!
08-13-2005, 01:28 PM
well, i believe the best chances we have of trading Nesterovic is by sending him to New York. They really don't care about money, you can realize about that with the fact they might not even release Houston.
Anyway, i was thinking Nesterovic should be traded for Jerome Williams who has 2 less years and a 3rd as team option. Besides in that deal maybe we could workout something for Rose. New York is considering him as one of the players to use the amnesty rule. Well, maybe we could agree a contract to have Rose back and New York has to release him in order to do the other deal.
As New York really need a center they might do that.
:rolleyes NO

2pac
08-13-2005, 01:28 PM
TPark, you have made the first mistake of NBA offseason - never underestimate the stupidity of Isiah Thomas

marcus
08-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Sweetney is a PF, he is 6-8, lol and Nesterovic did much more so far in his career than James.

T Park
08-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Sweetney is not 6 8 hes liike 6 10 400 pounds, dudes a beast (not really 400 but dude is chunked)

And Jerome James and Rasho Nesterovic are pretty much the same kind of players.

Nesterovic being much better on the defensive end though.

2pac
08-13-2005, 01:37 PM
And Jerome James and Rasho Nesterovic are pretty much the same kind of players.
Have you ever seen either player play?

ducks
08-13-2005, 01:40 PM
frye is not a nba center

yavozerb
08-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Why do we want Rose back?

Mr. Body
08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Why do we want Rose back?

Exactly. If Pop had to hold his nose to play him last year, why'd he do it now?

ChumpDumper
08-13-2005, 01:59 PM
The best case scenario is that Rasho finds the offensive touch he had in Minnesota. That's really all that's needed.

ChumpDumper
08-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Why do we want Rose back?Why would we not want any good player for well below market value?

Kori Ellis
08-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Sweetney is not 6 8 hes liike 6 10 400 pounds, dudes a beast (not really 400 but dude is chunked)

Sweetney is listed at 6'8 and a supposedly actually a little shorter. You are right that he's chunky though.

WalterBenitez
08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
The best case scenario is that Rasho finds the offensive touch he had in Minnesota. That's really all that's needed.

In that case Rasho should run some offense like TWOLVES used to do, or POP should realize the way to improve Rasho confidence

marcus
08-13-2005, 02:47 PM
but the worse thing about Nesterovic is not his playing level but his contract. 4 years starting at 6,720,000. There is not even one millon of difference with MANU.

T Park
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Ive said, there are not enough plays run for Nesterovic, and wish they would run more pick and rolls with him at the FT line, and side lines.

marcus
08-13-2005, 03:00 PM
About Malik Rose, in the case i proposed he would come for the minimum.
If he could come to the spurs back i am sure Popovich would like to have him.
I think the reason why they traded him is pretty obvious. By that time he had a 5 years deal with something like 5.5 in that year.

TDMVPDPOY
08-13-2005, 03:25 PM
rasho gettin paid 6.5mill a year to warm the bench?? damn thats alot of money i can do that for free

benjirh
08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
First of all they signed James for a big contract, so they are going to use him. Frye is going to get minutes at C because they are stacked at PF and they feel he can contribute this year. So at this point they are two deep at C. They are not going to takes rasho's contract on. Even without Williams and Rose(if they would cut him) their frontcourt is loaded.

James, Frye
Sweetney, Taylor, Lee

Tim Thomas also plays PF and NY is looking at Diop who would be a much cheaper option as a backup C. So it is not happening.

angel_luv
08-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm confused. :huh This is the Rasho Nesterovic best case scenario thread right?

Where is the part about forgetting all this trade nonsense and letting me keep my very nice Center?

:nerd I'm sure that part is in the post somewhere. Silly me, I must have missed it. :lol

Dex
08-13-2005, 04:30 PM
*thinks happy thoughts* :spin

WalterBenitez
08-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Ive said, there are not enough plays run for Nesterovic, and wish they would run more pick and rolls with him at the FT line, and side lines.

I do agree but the limitation is that TD is SA first option, second TP, later Manu so Rasho could be 4th since he were on court, or leading a second unit; sometimes I got lost in POP's schemes but I am not sure SA will increase Rasho's runs.

marcus
08-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm confused. :huh This is the Rasho Nesterovic best case scenario thread right?

Where is the part about forgetting all this trade nonsense and letting me keep my very nice Center?

:nerd I'm sure that part is in the post somewhere. Silly me, I must have missed it. :lol

well, it would be fine to keep Rasho if he accepts a pay cut but he wont, lol.

benjirh
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
what do you mean by pay cut? In basketball you cannot rework contracts to offer pay cuts. It is not like football.

marcus
08-14-2005, 12:41 PM
actually i think you can. For example KG did some with his huge contract. And you can also improve the salaries.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
No you can't renegotiate contracts -- KG and Shaq took less money in contract extensions. They got all the money from their original contracts.

Dex
08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
No you can't renegotiate contracts -- KG and Shaq took less money in contract extensions. They got all the money from their original contracts.

He speaketh the truth.

Like, OMG...Shaq's ONLY making 20 million a year now. :rolleyes He's such a team player.

CHAMPS AGAIN
08-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Spurs need to tell the Knicks that Rasho is a forward and Thomas will make the trade

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Another option about Nesterovic came to my mind. Deal with Miami, lol. Well, at least i know they don't care now about salaries.

The deal would be like this.

Nesterovic in a sign and trade for Damon Jones who would receive 6 millons this season and have a qualifying offer for next year.

I know they already have a lot of centers but, taking aside the salaries, they would get a good player and keep the MLE.

For the Spurs this would also be a great move as they would get a great shooting point guard to be Parker's backup and they would get free of 23 millons for the next 3 years.

Jones would accept it since he would get really big money.

------------------------------------------------------

A Question has just came to my mind. When you do a sign and trade like in the case i am proposing can you give as much as you want to the player that is being signed and traded or you can just give as much as the salary allows?
Does someone know the answer?

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-16-2005, 01:35 AM
No way Miami would do that. Why would they want to trade away Damon Jones if they can keep him?

Enough said. I wont even bother why they dont need Rasho.

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:37 AM
No way Miami would do that. Why would they want to trade away Damon Jones if they can keep him?

Enough said. I wont even bother why they dont need Rasho.

well, if they use the MLE with someone else Jones will go to Cleveland because Miami wont be able to offer more money.

I still don't know through if Jones could sign that contract in a sign and trade like that.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Well Jones would have to agree to sign that contract. He's a free agent. He probably wants more than a one-year deal (which I think is what you are proposing if I understand you correctly).

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:44 AM
It would be one year at 6-6,5 millons. And for next season Jones would remain as a restricted free agent.

If he signs with Cleveland he would get 3,4 millons as a maximum for the first year.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:48 AM
It would be one year at 6-6,5 millons. And for next season Jones would remain as a restricted free agent.

If he signs with Cleveland he would get 3,4 millons as a maximum for the first year.

Well he's unrestricted right now.

Either way, I don't think Miami has any interest in Rasho and I think Damon has better options than a one-year deal.

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:55 AM
I think the contract would work but yeah, you are right. He is unrestricted so they can't do sign and trade.

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Restricted free agents can be still trade via sign and trade right?

marcus
08-16-2005, 11:00 AM
This should be the last thread i start making possible deals involving Rasho and some other team.

However, i think this is the "perfect" deal for San Antonio.

Chicago is really desperate for a frontcourt player and the spurs already had some talks with them last season about Nesterovic.

Moreover, the bulls still have Chandler, Curry and Pargo as restricted free agents to re-sign.

The deal would be this:
San Antonio send:
Nesterovic $6,720,000

and

Chicago send:
Eric Piatkowski $2,950,200 (expiring)
Jannero Pargo via sign and trade signing one year deal at $4,000,000

With that deal the Bulls would have one less player to worry about (Pargo) and they would get a good center to cover their frontcourt needs.

On the other hand, the Spurs would get rid of Nesterovic contract and receive $6,950,000 expiring. Besides, Pargo should cover their needs at the point guard and Piatkowski would be a good addition.

If we move Nesterovic there would also be more room for Oberto to get playing minutes.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Sure, if the Spurs would be happy with TAW in return for Radosoft.

Extra Stout
08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
While Chicago is desperate for a frontcourt player, they're not that desperate.

They'll scour the NBDL, overseas leagues, African villages, people with thyroid problems, genetic mutants, and large Appalachian recluses with no teeth before they take Rasho off the Spurs' hands.

Extra Stout
08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Of course, the problem with that approach is that if there's anyone in any of those places worth signing, the Spurs probably already obtained their rights eight or nine years ago.

ace3g
08-16-2005, 11:16 AM
if you are going to get something in return from Chicago they should get nocioni, who pop likes alot

marcus
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
While Chicago is desperate for a frontcourt player, they're not that desperate.

They'll scour the NBDL, overseas leagues, African villages, people with thyroid problems, genetic mutants, and large Appalachian recluses with no teeth before they take Rasho off the Spurs' hands.

when i say desperate for a frontcourt player i am refering to a good player like Nesterovic.

---------------------------

Spurs would surely do the deal. After all they offer Rasho for Abdul-Wahad once.

And i can't imagine Pargo rejecting a one year deal for 4 millons.

Both, Piatkowski and Pargo are good shooters so in that sense they can be very useful.

Defensively, although Piatkowski is not very good, Pargo can make the cut.

marcus
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
if you are going to get something in return from Chicago they should get nocioni, who pop likes alot

I also like Nocioni a lot but i don't think Chicago is interested in trading him.

Manu20
08-16-2005, 11:25 AM
The Spurs could not get TAW for Rasho much less Nocioni.

Extra Stout
08-16-2005, 11:27 AM
when i say desperate for a frontcourt player i am refering to a good player like Nesterovic.

1) Nesterovic is hardly "good." He's tall and takes up space.

2) No team is going to bail the Spurs out of that contract. There's an unwritten rule that you don't help a defending champion like that, especially one primed for multiple future runs like SA.

marcus
08-16-2005, 11:31 AM
The Spurs could not get TAW for Rasho much less Nocioni.

Assuming that TAW is Abdul-Wahad i can say there was an obvious reason for Dallas not to accept the deal for Rasho. They are totally screwed with the total salary. If they were in a much better financial position they would have taken Nesterovic.

spur219
08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Pargo would be a more than capable backup PG. But man would I love for Chandler to be a Spur.

SenorSpur
08-16-2005, 11:39 AM
The problem with trying to trade Rasho (besides him being soft of course) is that everyone in the league knows the Spurs are desparate to get rid of him.

However, I would not dump him for "pennies on the dollar" just to get rid of him.

marcus
08-16-2005, 11:42 AM
1) Nesterovic is hardly "good." He's tall and takes up space.

2) No team is going to bail the Spurs out of that contract. There's an unwritten rule that you don't help a defending champion like that, especially one primed for multiple future runs like SA.

The deal would help both teams.

San Antonio wants to get rid of Rasho but not because he became a bad player. They want to get rid of him since they got Mohammed last season and Oberto this season. And they will probably get Scola next year.

Chicago needs a center and i am sure Nesterovic can cover their needs.
Even last season he got almost 11 points in efficiency.
In his last season with the wolves he had 11.2 ppg , 6.5 rpg , 1.51 bpg , 0.51 spg and .525% of fg.

In regular season he started the last 252 games he played.

Rescueone
08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
The deal would help both teams.

San Antonio wants to get rid of Rasho but not because he became a bad player. They want to get rid of him since they got Mohammed last season and Oberto this season. And they will probably get Scola next year.

Chicago needs a center and i am sure Nesterovic can cover their needs.
Even last season he got almost 11 points in efficiency.
In his last season with the wolves he had 11.2 ppg , 6.5 rpg , 1.51 bpg , 0.51 spg and .525% of fg.

In regular season he started the last 252 games he played.

I totally agree with you! It's a win-win stuation for both teams. Besides, has anyone seen the list of free agents next year?? There will be a TON of good players available next year. The Spurs should be totally in the running for some excellent players if we get rid of Rasho for any expiring contracts.

benjirh
08-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I totally agree with you! It's a win-win stuation for both teams. Besides, has anyone seen the list of free agents next year?? There will be a TON of good players available next year. The Spurs should be totally in the running for some excellent players if we get rid of Rasho for any expiring contracts.

The spurs won't be under the cap, even if we get expiring contracts next year. And if we are it will be by less than the MLE anyways, so we will still be screwed on the FA list. And you would be assuming that they wouldn't resign Nazr. So we would be left with our three front court players of Oberto, Duncan, and Horry. I am not impressed.

Mark in Austin
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
At best Chicago will not take on a salary the size of Rasho's until late next summer when they have used thier cap space to the best of their ability. They won't give up 6-7 million in flexibility for a player like Rasho.

marcus
08-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Yeah, the trade wouldn't help for the off-season but it would surely save a lot of bucks and then we could re-sign Mohammed without going over the luxury cap.

Besides by this trade we would get the backup point guard we need and a good shooter. The big mans will come alone with time. For now Oberto, Mohammed, Duncan and Horry is more than enough for taking all the minutes.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Pargo?
are yall shitting me
he fucking blows
jason hart was better by far

some of yall would want to sign latrell, NVE, eduardo najera, dale davis and janero pargo
and dont say he's good because he's not
we're set at pg
spurs have other issues to address

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree that this should be your last thread that you start on this subject.

There are about 1000 threads about Rasho. All of your ideas on how to get rid of him can be posted in the same thread. Please stop starting a new thread for your every thought.

marcus
08-16-2005, 12:53 PM
At best Chicago will not take on a salary the size of Rasho's until late next summer when they have used thier cap space to the best of their ability. They won't give up 6-7 million in flexibility for a player like Rasho.

Even if they sign Nesterovic and re-sign Curry and Chandler for a total of 15,000,000 they will still have like 14 millons for next season.
I said 15,000,000 as maximum although it is really unlikely so they should have more.

Horry For 3!
08-16-2005, 12:58 PM

There are about 1000 threads about Rasho. All of your ideas on how to get rid of him can be posted in the same thread. Please stop starting a new thread for your every thought.
I noticed that. Everyone of his threads is based on how to get rid of Rasho. :rolleyes

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:18 PM
I noticed that. Everyone of his threads is based on how to get rid of Rasho. :rolleyes

Not all, although i did mention Rasho in some. Don't get me wrong. I like Nesterovic as a player but i don't think he fit in the Spurs finances.

The thing i admire most about the spurs is how they get great and underrated players for cheap salaries but frankly, Nesterovic is like taken from the New York Knicks book. Well, maybe not so much but his contract is ugly and more if we compare it to the rest of the Spurs. Manu just win 1 millon more per year.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
The Spurs obviously decided that keeping Radosoft and forgoing some of the luxury tax distributions was worth keeping him from joining a contender for nothing.

I think one of the reasons the Spurs couldn't get anything for Radosoft before the deadline was that other teams believed the Spurs would waive him under the amnesty clause.

Anyways, the Spurs retain some bigman depth and also, they avoid seeing him join a rival for nothing while they pay his salary.

I've been one of Rasho's toughest critics in this forum but he isn't that bad. His skilled play does make up for his lack of physicality in the paint. Sooner or later another team will find themselves in need of a center and Rasho will look rather attractive. If not, the Spurs will have a decent piece in the bigman rotation.

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:53 PM
The Spurs obviously decided that keeping Radosoft and forgoing some of the luxury tax distributions was worth keeping him from joining a contender for nothing.

I think one of the reasons the Spurs couldn't get anything for Radosoft before the deadline was that other teams believed the Spurs would waive him under the amnesty clause.

Anyways, the Spurs retain some bigman depth and also, they avoid seeing him join a rival for nothing while they pay his salary.

I've been one of Rasho's toughest critics in this forum but he isn't that bad. His skilled play does make up for his lack of physicality in the paint. Sooner or later another team will find themselves in need of a center and Rasho will look rather attractive. If not, the Spurs will have a decent piece in the bigman rotation.

I never said amnesty. I said trade him :hat

If Nesterovic stays as part of the rotation i guess that either him or Oberto will see few playing minutes. I guess it will be Nesterovic because he almost didn't play during the playoffs.

2centsworth
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM

you're dillusional. Nobody wants Rasho period. Has nothing to do with anything you just mentioned but all to do with his poor play last year. At best the guy is an 8pt 6rb guy who plays soft. Not very attractive especially at almost 7mil per year.

What skill are you talking about? His only skill is that he is 7ft with long arms.

I do think he is not bad to have in the rotation for size and defensive purposes, but ideally it would be at 3-4mil per year.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
you're dillusional. Nobody wants Rasho period. Has nothing to do with anything you just mentioned but all to do with his poor play last year. At best the guy is an 8pt 6rb guy who plays soft. Not very attractive especially at almost 7mil per year.

What's Adonal Foyle's redeeming quality?

What skill are you talking about? His only skill is that he is 7ft with long arms.

Setting screens, defensive rotations, good positional defense, etc...

I do think he is not bad to have in the rotation for size and defensive purposes, but ideally it would be at 3-4mil per year.

What big are you going to find in the NBA at that price?

2centsworth
08-16-2005, 02:00 PM
What's Adonal Foyle's redeeming quality?way better shot blocker, he's right up there with Ratliff. However, someone was smoking something when Adonal was offered that crazy contract.

Setting screens, defensive rotations, good positional defense, etc...
I'll give you that.

What big are you going to find in the NBA at that price?oberto for starters.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I never said amnesty. I said trade him :hat

If Nesterovic stays as part of the rotation i guess that either him or Oberto will see few playing minutes. I guess it will be Nesterovic because he almost didn't play during the playoffs.

So the Spurs have some bigman depth in case of injury or to limit the minutes of Duncan and Horry in the regular season.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 02:03 PM
way better shot blocker, he's right up there with Ratliff. However, someone was smoking something when Adonal was offered that crazy contract.

Bigs don't come cheap in the NBA.

oberto for starters.

Special case. Foyle, Cardinal, Dampier, etc...are the norm.

Ocotillo
08-16-2005, 02:09 PM
way better shot blocker, he's right up there with Ratliff. However, someone was smoking something when Adonal was offered that crazy contract.

That is a common affliction with NBA GMs when it comes to big men. The league is littered with overpaid bigs but they still keep getting offers.

Ocotillo
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
I think this forum is way over hyped about shipping Rasho off. Buford and Popovich know a thing or two about making trades and I bet you they are not "burnin' up the phone lines" trying to unload Rasho.

Oberto may or may not be in the rotation. If Rasho stays, someone, either Rasho, Oberto or Nazr is going to see less playing time.

There are other teams with worse problems and worse payrolls than having a 7 footer who is capable of starting on a lot of teams in addition to two other quality centers.

There is a trade deadline in February and it will be more of a sellers market then. Why rush to do something you don't need to do and settle for less than you want to?

kginsa
08-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Amen, Kori Ellis......I'm sick and tired of reading threads on how to get rid of Nesterovic.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
ocotillio
comes correct

marcus
08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Bigs don't come cheap in the NBA.

Special case. Foyle, Cardinal, Dampier, etc...are the norm.

Brezec, Nesterovic's slovenian teemate is playing for 2,5 millons this season.

By the way, Minnesota is looking for possible trades for Olowakandi who is expiring, i wonder if they want Nesterovic back, lol.

Wait and see can also be a good option.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Brezec, Nesterovic's slovenian teemate is playing for 2,5 millons this season.
Charlotte bought low before Brezec had any appreciable playing time. Wait for his next deal.
Wait and see can also be a good option.More than likely that's what will happen.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, if Oberto pans out the Spurs will be facing a rather sizable bill for him 3 years from now.

If Radosoft was really as worthless as the forum consensus seems to be about him, the Spurs would've dropped him yesterday.

benjirh
08-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I love how people are ready to hand the starting job to an unproven Oberto yet they are ready to drop Nesterovic in a heart beat based on some stats after he came off an injury. I do NOT trust Oberto to be even my #2 center yet. I don't see Nesterovic going anywhere. And if he does then we had better get a very solid big either through the trade or in FAgency.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I love how people are ready to hand the starting job to an unproven Oberto yet they are ready to drop Nesterovic in a heart beat based on some stats after he came off an injury. I do NOT trust Oberto to be even my #2 center yet. I don't see Nesterovic going anywhere. And if he does then we had better get a very solid big either through the trade or in FAgency.

Well, sure. But the Spurs undoubtedly would love to have him and his $7.5 mil over 3 seasons contract in the starting lineup.

marcus
08-16-2005, 06:34 PM

well, i don't know if he is so unproven. Oberto is one of the Argentinian team that reached the world cup finals in 2002 and won the gold medal in Athens, although he got injured against Usa.
:rolleyes

Dex
08-16-2005, 07:02 PM
well, i don't know if he is so unproven. Oberto is one of the Argentinian team that reached the world cup finals in 2002 and won the gold medal in Athens, although he got injured against Usa.
:rolleyes

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23309

Refer to one Drazen Petrovic.

Guy was, and still is, regarded as one of the best foreign players to ever play the game. He is still regarded as a legend in Europe, and lead the Yugoslavian National Team to an Olympic silver in 1988.

He averaged 37.7 points in four seasons in Europe. Came over to the NBA, and that average dropped to 7.6 over the course of his first 2 years in Portland. This from a guy who scored 114 points by himself in a single game overseas.

Until you see what a player can do on the NBA courts, he is still unproven in this league. Even Manu has had to climb a mountain to get to the point he is at now. When he first started getting playing time in San Antonio, people thought he was just another European scrub.

marcus
08-16-2005, 07:09 PM
But there are some things for sure.

1. Oberto is no kid. He is totally experienced and will act as a pro, not as a young european kid who just come to the league.
2. He will come to the Spurs that makes everything much easier for foreign players.
3. He will play with Manu that knows him for almost 10 years, lol.

sickdsm
08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23309

Refer to one Drazen Petrovic.

Guy was, and still is, regarded as one of the best foreign players to ever play the game. He is still regarded as a legend in Europe, and lead the Yugoslavian National Team to an Olympic silver in 1988.

He averaged 37.7 points in four seasons in Europe. Came over to the NBA, and that average dropped to 7.6 over the course of his first 2 years in Portland. This from a guy who scored 114 points by himself in a single game overseas.

Until you see what a player can do on the NBA courts, he is still unproven in this league. Even Manu has had to climb a mountain to get to the point he is at now. When he first started getting playing time in San Antonio, people thought he was just another European scrub.

One big problem. That was before the original Dream Team. They made kids overseas and down south pick up a basketball instead of a soccer ball.

Manu would a goalie, architect or stocking shelves if it hadn't been for Jordan and the rest of the other olympic teams.

Dex
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
But there are some things for sure.

1. Oberto is no kid. He is totally experienced and will act as a pro, not as a young european kid who just come to the league.
2. He will come to the Spurs that makes everything much easier for foreign players.
3. He will play with Manu that knows him for almost 10 years, lol.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. I, personally, think he will fit in fine with the Spurs system, especially since he WILL have a few of these luxuries to lean back on.

But I still think it will take him about half a season to really come into his own, which means we will need to keep our other options at Center available until the team can discern when/if this is going to happen.

I, like most here, think Oberto can achieve big things. However, I don't downright expect them from him. Not right away, anyways.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Last summer the league was abuzz about the Spurs having a great offseason with the acquisition of Brent Barry. This summer, the word seems to be that the Heat have had the best offseason among contenders while the champion Spurs have been relatively quiet. I think come the middle of next season that the Oberto signing will start getting that kind of pub.

boutons
08-16-2005, 09:55 PM
dammit, the Spurs/Pop get trashed in 03 because people retired and left to start elsewhere, and the Spurs get trashed in 05 because everybody stays. WTF?

Rescueone
08-17-2005, 05:33 AM
How about this. After next year, Nazr and Rasho for Yao Ming? Yao and Nazr will both be free agents, each team do a sign and trade with Rasho in the mix. Then we can also bring Scola over to join the Spurs. The front court of Yao, Duncan, Oberto, Horry and Scola. Awesome!!!!!!

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
How about this. After next year, Nazr and Rasho for Yao Ming? Yao and Nazr will both be free agents, each team do a sign and trade with Rasho in the mix. Then we can also bring Scola over to join the Spurs. The front court of Yao, Duncan, Oberto, Horry and Scola. Awesome!!!!!!

Wake up and stop dreaming! Its time to smell the coffee and face reality.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Wake up and stop dreaming! Its time to smell the coffee and face reality.

No you wake up and face reality! Why not? Duncan thought about leaving San Antonio. REMEMBER the trip to Orlando? So why can't the Spurs try and lure Yao from Houston? Never say never! NOTHING is set in stone in regards to NBA players. The players are always on the move from team to team. It's called free agencies. "Free to move" All a player has to do is say "they no longer want to play for X-team" and you can bet your ass that that player will be moved. If not, the team risks a cancer to the team. Name one player that said they no longer wanted to play for X-team and then stayed on that team without upsetting chemistry. Yao in San Antonio could be a possibility! It all depends on where his "loyalty" is, or if he has a "feed his kids" type attitude. If he didn't pledge his Allegience to Houston, it's a possibility for any team to sign him away from the Rockets. It's not impossible. If Shaq can move, anybody can move! PERIOD!!

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Do you really see Yao fitting with the Spurs? Not that I would ever trade Rasho for him... Just curious.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Do you really see Yao fitting with the Spurs? Not that I would ever trade Rasho for him... Just curious.

Do you actually think Rasho + Nazr >Yao?

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 02:00 PM
For our team, yes.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 02:01 PM
What are we missing that Yao would bring? Except a few inches... = )

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
What are we missing that Yao would bring? Except a few inches... = )

You've got to be kidding! :lol :lol Yao is an ALL STAR!! Rasho is SOFT and his shot stinks and Nazr is almost as soft. Nazr has second grade ball fakes and boards for hands. Yao would fit well in San ANTONIO. He plays better defense, and averages more points and rebounds per game than Rasho and Nazr. The Spurs haven't got much production out of the 5 slot last year. Wouldn't it be nice to have another low post option to go to when Duncan is struggling some nights. IMO Yao is head, shoulders, elbows, knees and toes > Rasho + Nazr. Would you miss Rasho if he were to leave? Please tell me you're trying to be funny with that reply!!

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Personally, I would have problems maxing out a guy who is never going to be able to play more than 30mpg -- especially with a better low block player in Duncan already on the team -- and don't pretend Yao will get anything less than the max, whether his play calls for it or not.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Would you miss Rasho if he were to leave? !

Anyone care to answer that? :lol

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Would you miss Rasho if he were to leave?Depends on how Nazr and Oberto defend.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Yao Ming is talented. You'll hear no argument from me. He also seems like a nice guy and is obviously well liked .
If I am not mistaken, Yao got the most All Star votes.

But in team sports, there is more factors to consider than just skill and popularity.

If a team is going to succeed there has to be chemistry. I just don't picture Yao playing in our system. I think he'd be over kill.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Depends on how Nazr and Oberto defend.

LOL! I meant answer for me...

Would Angel miss Rasho if he were.. you know... :depressed

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Personally, I would have problems maxing out a guy who is never going to be able to play more than 30mpg -- especially with a better low block player in Duncan already on the team -- and don't pretend Yao will get anything less than the max, whether his play calls for it or not.

30 minutes per game is perfect. That's why Oberto is on the team. To play when the starter is resting. Yao given the max is fine with me. I could live with that. San Antonio would start three All Stars with a possibilty of Tony being the fourth in 2006-2007. You have trouble with San Antonio being the favorite to win at least five more championships with the addittion of Yao?
Duncan, Yao, Manu, Parker, Bowen. Looks good to me!

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Rescue-

Do you really see Yao and Timmy being a good match. I know they are both talented but do their games compliment each other?

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:24 PM
And could Yao handle Gino's passes?

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
30 minutes per game is perfect. That's why Oberto is on the team. To play when the starter is resting. Yao given the max is fine with me.Not for the Spurs when they already have Duncan.
You have trouble with San Antonio being the favorite to win at least five more championships with the addittion of Yao?I have trouble with the Rockets' letting go of the 2nd biggest cash cow in the post-Jordan era for two guys he's "head, shoulders, elbows, knees and toes" above more than anything.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Like I said Yao > Rasho. How has Rasho handled Manu's passes. How has Rasho fit in with Duncan? Yao and Duncan can co-exist. I don't see any problems at all. No one can argue that they wouldn't make a bad ass 1-2 combo.

boutons
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Yao is in the Rasho class of player: plays basketball because he's very tall, but has no athletic ability.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Yao is in the Rasho class of player: plays basketball because he's very tall, but has no athletic ability.

That is not fair on either count.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Not for the Spurs when they already have Duncan.I have trouble with the Rockets' letting go of the 2nd biggest cash cow in the post-Jordan era for two guys he's "head, shoulders, elbows, knees and toes" above more than anything.

That's why there's a thing called free agency! If a guy wants to move. For what ever reason's, he'll be moved. The possibility is there, just like it was possible for San Antonio to lose Duncan to Orlando.

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't think Timmy ever seriously intended to leave. I think he just wanted an all expense trip to the beach and a free dinner. = )

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Name your top 5 true Centers in the league

Dre_7
08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Today I have officially changed my mind about Rasho. I have been one of those people that wanted him traded. Well at least until now. I say keep Rasho (I still cant believe I am saying this)! He can play limited minutes off the bench until the Finals, where his big body and 6 fouls to give will really help against Shaq.

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Say what you want, but head-to-head Rasho pretty much shuts down Yao.

Dre_7
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh and angel, yes Yao is VERY overrated, but he is still better than Rasho. Sorry, but its true.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't think Timmy ever seriously intended to leave. I think he just wanted an all expense trip to the beach and a free dinner. = )

Orlando has no beach! But I can't argue with the meal and the closed Disney World just for Timmy!

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Today I have officially changed my mind about Rasho. I say keep Rasho (I still cant believe I am saying this!

Hallelujah! A convert!

He can play limited minutes off the bench until the Finals, where his big body and 6 fouls to give will really help against Shaq.

Well almost! = ) We'll work on it!

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Say what you want, but head-to-head Rasho pretty much shuts down Yao.

Oh my god :lol :lol :lol :lmao :lmao :lmao

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey Timmy! You're a free agent (?) what are you going to do now?

I'm going to Disney World!

Dre_7
08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Yao >>> Rasho

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh and angel, yes Yao is VERY overrated, but he is still better than Rasho. Sorry, but its true.

Oh no! My convert! Back slidden already? :lol

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh my god :lol :lol :lol :lmao :lmao :lmao

That's an observation. Someone who has the time/info can post Yao's averages and his averages against Nesterovic. Rasho generally has his better nights against the Rockets.

Addendum: I am not saying Rasho is a better player. I'm saying that he is very effective against Yao.

Dre_7
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Hallelujah! A convert!

The only reason I want him to stay is cuz MIA. Them getting Finley means that they will be in the Finals against the Spurs (barring any major injuries for either team). MIA is stacked this year!!!! He will definately be needed!

But, if Finley for some reason doesnt sign with MIA then I dont think they win the Eastern Conference, and will, therefore, want Rasho gone once again. :D

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Yao >>> Rasho

I beg to differ!

Spurs vs Rockets 3/27/05-Rasho Nesterovic grabbed 7 rebounds and blocked 3 shots to go along with his 10 points.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
That's an observation. Someone who has the time/info can post Yao's averages and his averages against Nesterovic. Rasho generally has his better nights against the Rockets.

Addendum: I am not saying Rasho is a better player. I'm saying that he is very effective against Yao.

So if Yao was on the Spurs, and Rasho was on the Rockets! You think Rasho get the best of Yao?

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
That's why there's a thing called free agency! If a guy wants to move. For what ever reason's, he'll be moved.There's this thing called restricted free agency. If a team is willing to pay the price -- which just happens to be more than anyone else can pay -- he'll stay.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:04 PM
I beg to differ!

Spurs vs Rockets 3/27/05-Rasho Nesterovic grabbed 7 rebounds and blocked 3 shots to go along with his 10 points.

Please tell the other half of the story. What were Yao's stats.

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 04:04 PM
So if Yao was on the Spurs, and Rasho was on the Rockets! You think Rasho get the best of Yao?

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy & nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!

Sure, Yao doesn't have the Spurs help defense. But if Yao played on the Spurs all of y'all would want to trade him.

Dre_7
08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Yao would be better on the Spurs than Rasho is. Yao is better than Rasho!!

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
There's this thing called restricted free agency. If a team is willing to pay the price -- which just happens to be more than anyone else can pay -- he'll stay.

"Restricted" means nothing! If a player wants to move, he'll move. Restricted is just for the money situation.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
"Restricted" means nothing! If a player wants to move, he'll move. Restricted is just for the money situation.Oh really? Did you write your own CBA or something? Get back to me after you've read the real one.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Totally agree with you!

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 04:13 PM

I GUARANTEE you that if Yao was on the Spurs and defered touches to Tim Duncan, that people would be shouting to trade him and whatever contract he had.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Oh really? Did you write your own CBA or something? Get back to me after you've read the real one.

If you were a GM, and one of your "restricted" free agents told you that " I no longer want to play for you" What are you going to do? Huuuuh Trade his ass!

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Please tell the other half of the story. What were Yao's stats.

I didn't know where to find Yao's info.

I got Rasho's stats off of one of his pics. I know where all of those are! = )

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
If you were a GM, and one of your "restricted" free agents told you that " I no longer want to play for you" What are you going to do? Huuuuh Trade his ass!Maybe, maybe not -- one could just as easily match and trade him later on one's own terms. Or just say "shut up and play for your $90 million."

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
I GUARANTEE you that if Yao was on the Spurs and defered touches to Tim Duncan, that people would be shouting to trade him and whatever contract he had.

There were many times last year that Duncan stunk all game! It would have been nice to have another low post option to go to who would give you a chance at winning.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Maybe, maybe not -- one could just as easily match and trade him later on one's own terms. Or just say "shut up and play for your $90 million."

Ok... then a smart player would take that 90 milllion, give one third the effort. Wait until his last year of the contract and go all out to get a bigger contract. Then leave your team as an unrestricted free agent. REAL SMART on your part

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok... then a smart player would take that 90 milllion, give one third the effort. Wait until his last year of the contract and go all out to get a bigger contract.How do you get a bigger contract than the max?

How does one dog it for 5 years without anyone noticing?

Why does Yao want to leave Houston?

Why would Yao ever dog anything?

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
How do you get a bigger contract than the max?

How does one dog it for 5 years without anyone noticing?

Why does Yao want to leave Houston?

Why would Yao ever dog anything?

I'm responsing to your comment " shut up and play for the 90 million" stating a comment like that as a GM would piss anyone off, and that player, whom ever he is, would be nothing but a distraction to the team, and demand a trade. Do you honestly think if Yao wanted to leave Houston anyone would stand in his way. All he has to do is say is either "I don't like this, or I don't like that! or I want to win a championship. For some players, money isn't everthing! Winning is! I don't know if Yao ever wants to leave Houston. But he's earned the right to explore his options after next year! Do you honestly think Pop would have gotten in Duncan's way if he told Pop that he wanted to leave for Orlando? It's just the way of doing business and personal feelings do play a MAJOR part in any discussions about any parting of ways.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Do you honestly think Pop would have gotten in Duncan's way if he told Pop that he wanted to leave for Orlando?If he was restricted at the time, I would consider it a distinct possibility.
Do you honestly think if Yao wanted to leave Houston anyone would stand in his way.Do you honestly think he will want to leave Houston?
All he has to do is say is either "I don't like this, or I don't like that! or I want to win a championship.Great, then he can play for the qualifying offer for a year then go wherever wants the following year without restriction. This isn't even worth talking about until the deadline for extending his contract has passed.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 04:58 PM
If he was restricted at the time, I would consider it a distinct possibility.Do you honestly think he will want to leave Houston?Great, then he can play for the qualifying offer for a year then go wherever wants the following year without restriction. This isn't even worth talking about until the deadline for extending his contract has passed.

You're right, talking to you is useless!

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
You're right, talking to you is useless!When all you can say is "Yao to the Spurs for Rasho and Nazr" -- yeah, it's useless.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 05:04 PM
When all you can say is "Yao to the Spurs for Rasho and Nazr" -- yeah, it's useless.

If you don't like it! Tuff, you can pass my comments right on by without comment. You're a dumb ass for not even seeing the possibility! Rasho Lover!

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 05:11 PM
You're a dumb ass for not even seeing the possibility!If he goes anywhere else, it's LA.
Rasho Lover!I never said he was better than Yao -- just that Yao will never be a Spur.
you can pass my comments right on by without comment.Great idea.

Rescueone
08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
If he goes anywhere else, it's LA.I never said he was better than Yao -- just that Yao will never be a Spur.Great idea.

You're a joke! :lol :lol :lol

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Add ChumpDumper to Your Ignore List (http://spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=153)

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
No you wake up and face reality! Why not? Duncan thought about leaving San Antonio. REMEMBER the trip to Orlando? So why can't the Spurs try and lure Yao from Houston? Never say never! NOTHING is set in stone in regards to NBA players. The players are always on the move from team to team. It's called free agencies. "Free to move" All a player has to do is say "they no longer want to play for X-team" and you can bet your ass that that player will be moved. If not, the team risks a cancer to the team. Name one player that said they no longer wanted to play for X-team and then stayed on that team without upsetting chemistry. Yao in San Antonio could be a possibility! It all depends on where his "loyalty" is, or if he has a "feed his kids" type attitude. If he didn't pledge his Allegience to Houston, it's a possibility for any team to sign him away from the Rockets. It's not impossible. If Shaq can move, anybody can move! PERIOD!!

Get a life and how are we going to fit in his salary? You can dream all you like but next season we are still committed to Timmy, Manu and TPark. I assume you passed your elementary maths cause way are the Spurs going to pile on a max contract. Unless you think Yao is going to sign for the anything less than that. So who are we giving up? Timmy? Manu? dont be an ass. I never said that Yao will not sign for another team. Just that it will not be for the Spurs. Shaq moved cause Miami did a trade. Would you trade Yao for Timmy? I wouldnt. Maybe a smart ass GM like yourself would do that trade.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-18-2005, 10:09 PM
There were many times last year that Duncan stunk all game! It would have been nice to have another low post option to go to who would give you a chance at winning.

And you tell me that Yao stunk in less games than Timmy? I beg to differ. I think Yao was pedestrian last season. He didnt dominate. He couldnt rebound shit in spite of his height.

Dex
08-18-2005, 10:26 PM
And you tell me that Yao stunk in less games than Timmy? I beg to differ. I think Yao was pedestrain last season. He didnt dominate. He couldnt rebound shit in spite of his height.

Not to mention that when Duncan 'stunk it up', he would still manage a low double-double. When Yao's game is off, he's lucky to break 8 and 6.

Rescueone
08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
And you tell me that Yao stunk in less games than Timmy? I beg to differ. I think Yao was pedestrian last season. He didnt dominate. He couldnt rebound shit in spite of his height.

Each player is going to stink from time to time! The point is, when Duncan is off, Which other low post player are the Spurs going to go to? .....no wait, I know your answer.....RASHO!.....NOT!!!!!! This is a SCENARIO... HELLO!!!

Rescueone
08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Get a life and how are we going to fit in his salary? You can dream all you like but next season we are still committed to Timmy, Manu and TPark. I assume you passed your elementary maths cause way are the Spurs going to pile on a max contract. Unless you think Yao is going to sign for the anything less than that. So who are we giving up? Timmy? Manu? dont be an ass. I never said that Yao will not sign for another team. Just that it will not be for the Spurs. Shaq moved cause Miami did a trade. Would you trade Yao for Timmy? I wouldnt. Maybe a smart ass GM like yourself would do that trade.

Yes I would do a trade like Rasho + Nazr for Yao. If you wouldn't, you'd be a dumb ass. As far as the math. Rasho salary next year is upwards of 8.7 million and increases the following year. How much do you think Nazr is going to command next year? Maybe more than Rasho's salary. UUHHHHG let's see if I can get the math right ....DUUUGH 8.7million + 9 million = 17 million. You think paying two scrubs 17 million is better than paying x amount for Yao. That why I said Rasho + Nazr for Yao...My goodness. Tim Duncan "only" makes 15 million per year. If you think Yao for 10 million is just way too much for you, then I guess we know who the real ass is. If you haven't noticed.....Yao is an ALL STAR CENTER. Why would anyone want him. If it doesn't work out....oh well, it's my best Rasho scenario. What's yours and let me critique it!

Rescueone
08-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Add ChumpDumper to Your Ignore List (http://spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=153)

Done!!! :tu

zedman
08-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Yao Ming
Houston Rockets
Position: C
Height: 7-6 Weight: 310
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 18.3
RPG 8.4
APG .8
SPG .43
BPG 2.00
FG% .552
FT% .783
3P% .000
MPG 30.6

zedman
08-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Rasho Nesterovic
San Antonio Spurs
Position: C
Height: 7-0 Weight: 255
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 5.9
RPG 6.6
APG 1.0
SPG .44
BPG 1.67
FG% .460
FT% .467
3P% .000
MPG 25.5

ChumpDumper
08-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Rasho salary next year is upwards of 8.7 million and increases the following year.Not even close, junior. Just another in a long list of ignorant statements.

With championships come dumbasses.

TexasAggie2005
08-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Rasho's only getting around 6 million a year. Of course this goes up, but not substantially. And if Nazr wants significantly more than that, he can go play for some sucky team elsewhere that'll overpay him.

BTW, I don't think the whole Yao thing would work anyhow. We'd be tying up too much salary and he's not worth what he'll get paid. Not in our system. The only reason he gets so many votes for the All-Star team is because he's from China. Anyone who knows anything about basketball would agree that Shaq was a better player, although Yao got more votes.

EDIT: I think that's what Rasho got last year, it's probably closer to 6.5 now.