PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks...Everyone check this out...

theMUHMEshow
08-13-2005, 03:36 PM
I got into a HUGE arguement in another forum and I would like to hear what you guys think about this...especially because A. you guys know college football and B. you are not from my region and should be able to give an unbias opinion.

Who would you want leading your team at QB this year?

A. Drew Staton, MSU QB

B. Chad Henne, UM QB

I would love to hear what you guys think/why?

word
08-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Matt Lienart
Reggie McNeal
Vince Young
(Drew?) Tate of Iowa

word
08-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Oh it's a choice between those two ? ...I take Henne, B, for a $1000 Alex.

theMUHMEshow
08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Matt Lienart
Reggie McNeal
Vince Young
(Drew?) Tate of Iowa

Excellent post...IDIOT! Totally irrelevant to my question

samikeyp
08-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Henne. Didn't see a lot of them but from what I did see....I liked Henne better.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 11:20 AM
McNeal, Reggie

N.Y. Johnny
08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I think that i'd take Henne over Stanton leading the team.
I think that what Henne did as a freshman was amazing and his numbers are comparable to Stanton.
The Wolverines offense is loaded and Henne has 1 year under him now so that has to count for a lot too, the experience he has will make him even better.
He led the Michigan team to the Rose Bowl and almost won it had it not been for a super performance by Vince Young.

Stanton has the better numbers with the Top offense in the Big Ten in Michigan State , but ability and just game situation i think i'd go with Henne. he seems to me the more intelligent Quarterback

sa_butta
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Henne in a hearbeat...Go Blue

samikeyp
08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Henne. Didn't see a lot of them but from what I did see....I liked Henne better.

Just don't tell my wife I said this...I am an SBM....Spartan By Marriage. :) Her whole family, except one brother is a Spartan fan, the brother is a UM fan and gave me a Michigan football t-shirt. I wore it to breakfast last week in Dallas and got all kinds of crap for it! :lol

Mr Dio
08-15-2005, 05:57 PM
IF I had to pick from ONLY those (2) I'd take Henne.

Horry For 3!
08-15-2005, 06:26 PM
If I only had to pick between those 2 then I'll be going with B. Henne.

word
08-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Excellent post...IDIOT! Totally irrelevant to my question

Look everyone, an angry Michigan fan.

msufan420
08-16-2005, 10:20 PM
This should be expected...look at my username for crying out loud...but I'd go with Stanton. Their numbers are are similar...So I look at it from a different perspective.

Henne accomplished so much his freshman year, but look at the talent surrounding him. He had a better offensive line than MSU, had better wideouts (ahem, Braylon and Avant, ahem). Not to mention Hart is no slouch.

Now I switch to MSU's offense. They have an outstanding running game with Teague and Caulcrick...however, their o-line leaves plenty to be desired and their receiving corps aren't atrocious...but they aren't better than UM's.

Now that said, Stanton still was able to complete just over 60% of his passes last year (tops in the Big 10 if I remember correctly). He also possess the ability to make something out of a broken play...reminiscant of a Jeff Garcia in his Pro Bowl years. Also, while he's not a prototypical scrambler...he does have enough speed to run an option or a quaterback keeper for extra yards. I'm sure UM fans remember what he did to their defense last year before he got injured. One last thing...as inferior as MSU's skill positions are to that of UM, Stanton seems to win more than he loses.

So as a State fan and one who can see more intangibles in Stanton than Henne...I go Drew Stanton...watch out for the Green and White this year!!!

BTW, SAMikey...good job marrying a Spartan! Is she from Lansing? I am...born a few miles from campus, even lived there while my mother was finishing school at State.

N.Y. Johnny
08-16-2005, 10:32 PM
This should be expected...look at my username for crying out loud...but I'd go with Stanton. Their numbers are are similar...So I look at it from a different perspective.

Henne accomplished so much his freshman year, but look at the talent surrounding him. He had a better offensive line than MSU, had better wideouts (ahem, Braylon and Avant, ahem). Not to mention Hart is no slouch.

Now I switch to MSU's offense. They have an outstanding running game with Teague and Caulcrick...however, their o-line leaves plenty to be desired and their receiving corps aren't atrocious...but they aren't better than UM's.

Now that said, Stanton still was able to complete just over 60% of his passes last year (tops in the Big 10 if I remember correctly). He also possess the ability to make something out of a broken play...reminiscant of a Jeff Garcia in his Pro Bowl years. Also, while he's not a prototypical scrambler...he does have enough speed to run an option or a quaterback keeper for extra yards. I'm sure UM fans remember what he did to their defense last year before he got injured. One last thing...as inferior as MSU's skill positions are to that of UM, Stanton seems to win more than he loses.

So as a State fan and one who can see more intangibles in Stanton than Henne...I go Drew Stanton...watch out for the Green and White this year!!!

BTW, SAMikey...good job marrying a Spartan! Is she from Lansing? I am...born a few miles from campus, even lived there while my mother was finishing school at State.

Hey Great post...

I believe you are right about the level of Talents around the QB's

Henne had far superior talents around him
MSU had a hell of a running attack, and that being said you can say something about Stanton leading the MSU Offense to Tops int he Big Ten.
thats not a fluke...considering also Stanton is the better Athlete than Henne

He isn't a chump...leading that offense in a league like the Big Ten is lofty especially with big number team like Purdue and that joe tiller attack they have.

both are good Quarterbacks

j-6
08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
He also possess the ability to make something out of a broken play...reminiscant of a Jeff Garcia in his Pro Bowl years. Also, while he's not a prototypical scrambler...he does have enough speed to run an option or a quaterback keeper for extra yards.

Funny, I was think that Stanton was a bit of a scrambler, though I will admit that the only live game I've seen him in was their loss to Hawaii. There had to have been three times where the blocking totally broke down and he still turned a broken pass play into at least a positive gain keeper. Is State's line that bad? I would compare them in head to head but I think that's the game Stanton got hurt in.

Henne was an absolute stud in the Rose Bowl, though even with a pretty good line, he seemed to get put on his ass quite a bit. I know if helps to have talent like Edwards and Steve Breaston going completely off the way the did, but Henne's pretty solid.

It'll be fun to watch them go head to head this season, but I'll go with Henne.

msufan420
08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Well I suppose he is a "scrambling QB" in a sense that Steve Young was a scrambling QB...I just don't look at him in the likes of say McNeal or Vince Young...

And that game against Hawaii was complete crap...both by the referees and by MSU's O-Line. That said, their line is not totally useless...it's just not on the level that UM's is (they seem to be a factory of guards and tackles).

With the spread offense that John L. Smith likes to use, Stanton could put up some impressive numbers (even better than last years). Remember John L. was the former coach at Louisville, and laid the foundation for their high powered offense.

j-6
08-16-2005, 11:52 PM
I just looked up Stanton's stats and saw he had games in 2004 where he rushed for 134, 102, 89, and 80 yards. Reggie McNeal's top running performances last season were 139, 129, 98, and 84.

Don't sell your man so short.

msufan420
08-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm not trying to sell him short...I guess I am...just not trying to. Put it this way, in John L.'s system, he'd rather have Stanton in the pocket throwing than out on the field scrambling (where he tends to get hurt). note: the game against Michigan. Most of those games where he went off for 100 plus yards was when none of his recievers were helping him out. Like I said before, he'll definately make the plays on the run...it's just not what the offense calls for.

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:18 AM
MSUfan...she was born in Ohio and raised in Texas but most of her family is in Lansing and Eden Rapids. Her dad and uncle are MSU alums. Her uncle plays in the Alumni band.

msufan420
08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
^^^^Right on...so were you lucky enough to go to that fantastic double overtime thriller against Kentucky? I bought two tickets on Ebay...my fiancee and I went to the game...lost my voice there. Have she ever taken you to Lansing to see any basketball, hockey, or football games....I usually get in at least one or two football and basketball games a year (my dad's still a season ticket holder to both). Only once was I lucky enough to find a ticket to one of their hockey games.

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Living in SA doesn't afford me many chances to see them. Tried to get tickets to the Alamo Bowl when they came here as well as regional final tickets against Texas (although not to root for MSU :) ) I have been promised that if I can make it up there....I will get to go to a game. Her family are the real fanatics. Her aunt and uncle have an MSU themed bathroom and her sister has a cat named Izzo.

msufan420
08-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I went to the regional against Texas...that was nuts...talk about over 30,000 people sporting burnt orange...I sat next to some cat from the Real World who went to UT...He and I exchange many "pleasantries" during the game. I also went to that Alamo Bowl...worst football game ever. Not just because MSU lost, but it was boring as hell...halftime score 17-3. Final score 17-3 *yawn*.

If and when you finally make it to Lansing, going to a basketball game at Breslin is awesome...while maybe not on par historically with the likes of Camden up in Duke, but it does get rockin' and loud...Fanatics there at State.

msufan420
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
For any Big 10 football fans out there, here is a link that shows footage of John L. Smith from MSU and Lloyd Carr from UM during Big 10's media day.

http://www.freep.com/sports/michstate/webvideo11e_20050811.htm

jochhejaam
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Look everyone, an angry Michigan fan.

Being an Ohio State Buckeye fan and having defeated Michigan 3 of the last 4 years (and finishing higher than Mich. in the Final NCAA rankings the year they did beat us) it's not hard to understand the anger. :elephant

theMUHMEshow
08-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Being an Ohio State Buckeye fan and having defeated Michigan 3 of the last 4 years (and finishing higher than Mich. in the Final NCAA rankings the year they did beat us) it's not hard to understand the anger. :elephant

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/jm_phenom23/OsomaBinBuckeye.jpg

samikeyp
08-19-2005, 09:43 AM
:lmao

jochhejaam
08-19-2005, 10:39 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/jm_phenom23/OsomaBinBuckeye.jpg

I don't hate "that team up north". I actually pull for them almost every game of the season so that we're both ranked high when we meet. More to gain that way with a victory.
Coming to a theatre near you Nov. 19th. "THE GAME"

Oh, and come Sept 10th? We'll show ya how to beat dem Longhorns. :lol