PDA

View Full Version : Coach Nick: Spurs too smart for Durant and Westbrook, Bounce Thunder

baseline bum
06-01-2014, 05:47 PM
0pbZmmjk4lw

4down
06-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Way to take out the Doritos.

DarrinS
06-01-2014, 07:20 PM
OKC would be scary good with better coaching.

baseline bum
06-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Man am I glad Westbrook got injured last year and saved Brooks' job, so they couldn't land Coach Bud.

06-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Man am I glad Westbrook got injured last year and saved Brooks' job, so they couldn't land Coach Bud.
I don't even want to think about that scenario...

baseline bum
06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I also hope they don't fire Brooks and get Hollins to replace him this summer either, as a coach who will make Westbrook consistently play the level of D he did at UCLA would be killer for them.

DarrinS
06-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Wow, I didn't think about that

weebo
06-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Good coaching (or any coaching) only works on guys that want to be coached. I can't see a guy like Westbrook wanting to be coached.

ginobilized
06-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Coach Nick with the cold hard truth. Love it!

Oh, Gee!!
06-01-2014, 08:11 PM
they would have been better off trading westbrook instead of harden. Durant, Harden, Ibaka could do some damage with a true point guard.

BackHome
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Nice Vid..liked how he pointed out all the bullshit calls by the refs.

Danny.Zhu
06-01-2014, 08:30 PM

xtremesteven33
06-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Coach Brooks does deserve alot of the blame for their shortcomings, but that doesnt excuse bonehead plays from Westbrook. Durant also seems to not be aggresive enough. He plays passively and doesnt like physicality. Maybe another year of weight gain and muscle build. Also needs to develop mental toughness. Future is bright as fuck though. Oklahoma shouldnt be so impatient. The league will be Durants soon.

pgardn
06-01-2014, 08:35 PM
The Clippers will surpass them once Rivers gets the full attention of his team.

DarrinS
06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
they would have been better off trading westbrook instead of harden. Durant, Harden, Ibaka could do some damage with a true point guard.

Truth

Oh, Gee!!
06-01-2014, 08:43 PM
The league will be Durants soon.

Homeboy is the lovechild of Dr. J and the Iceman imo. His offensive game is smooth as silk.

urunobili
06-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Green exposed badly twice on crunch plays :pctoss

gilmor
06-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Actually.. OKC is easy to beat.. Clippers or Grizzlies could have beaten them in 6 or 7 games.. If not for the Refs..

MannyIsGod
06-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Brooks is the new D'antoni in the west. For years his "system" allowed the Spurs to get through an incredibly talented team.

BillMc
06-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I love how Coach Nick thinks the strategy is to wait for the Spurs to get old and retire! :lol

UZER
06-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Anyone else notice Danny green making no attemptto corral that block by Leonard? Then notice the way he came up the floor. Dude was gassed!

Mugen
06-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I hate Westbrook but I'd rather have him than Harden tbh. It's not Russell's fault that his MVP teammate is a huge beta.

ElNono
06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I hate Westbrook but I'd rather have him than Harden tbh. It's not Russell's fault that his MVP teammate is a huge beta.

yeah, he had a phenomenal playoff run... if not for that knee that you don't know how long is going to hold, his future looks bright...

cjw
06-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Let's not kid ourselves, Westbrook is a much much better player than Harden. Westbrook isn't a great defender in the traditional sense but makes plays with his athleticism. Harden just plain doesn't play defense. Only thing that Harden has is a sweet shot.

They may have gotten much more for Westbrook though than Harden.

superbigtime
06-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Westbrook is phenomenal. What a ferocious player. He's a badass.

Spursfanfromafar
06-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Russell Westbrook reminds me of Kobe Bryant. Insane talent, super ability. If the Thunder gets some like Phil Jackson to make Westbrook play in some kinda system, the sky is the limit for the Thunder.

That said, if the Spurs can retool cleverly after the Duncan-Ginobili era comes to an end with some skilled players to backup Kawhi, they will contend.

UZER
06-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, Westbrook is a much much better player than Harden. Westbrook isn't a great defender in the traditional sense but makes plays with his athleticism. Harden just plain doesn't play defense. Only thing that Harden has is a sweet shot.

They may have gotten much more for Westbrook though than Harden.

That steal on greens pass out was unbelievable. The cat like reflex, the distance covered, the bucket, and the magnitude. It almost cost the spurs.that game.

But he's still a bone head.

DMC
06-01-2014, 11:54 PM
You have to think Fish is going to be looked at for a coaching position in both LA and OKC tbh.

DMC
06-01-2014, 11:56 PM
That steal on greens pass out was unbelievable. The cat like reflex, the distance covered, the bucket, and the magnitude. It almost cost the spurs.that game.

But he's still a bone head.

That would have been his 3rd steal in the final seconds of a crucial game in these playoffs. He's going to make someone a great chucking guard, however the Thunder needs a ball distributor. RW's heroics is part of the problem in OKC. He's mega talented, just not smart. You want your PG to be smart.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Brooks is the new D'antoni in the west. For years his "system" allowed the Spurs to get through an incredibly talented team.

Dantoni's offensive system was quite potent for Phoenix. OKC's offense is potent simply because they have 2 of the top 7 or 8 offensive 1 on 5 players in the league. Big difference.

heyheymymy
06-02-2014, 12:08 AM
:tu coach nick is great at these breakdowns

baseline bum
06-02-2014, 12:16 AM
:tu coach nick is great at these breakdowns

Part of me wishes ESPN would hire this guy to do halftime and postgame coverage, but the thought of Jalen and Simmons dumbing the show down would be awful.

UZER
06-02-2014, 12:19 AM
That would have been his 3rd steal in the final seconds of a crucial game in these playoffs. He's going to make someone a great chucking guard, however the Thunder needs a ball distributor. RW's heroics is part of the problem in OKC. He's mega talented, just not smart. You want your PG to be smart.

Yup...he doesn't get "it" and never will. He plays purely on instinct. Gotta have some smarts.

heyheymymy
06-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Part of me wishes ESPN would hire this guy to do halftime and postgame coverage, but the thought of Jalen and Simmons dumbing the show down would be awful.

ESPN wouldnt let him do legit breakdowns, but you're right, he deserves to be bigtime compared to the hacks they have there now.

Malik Hairston
06-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Coach Nick doesn't have the personality to do any national media shit, he's way too bland and corny, tbh..

Good breakdowns, though..

therealtruth
06-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Let's hope he never figures it out because he could be scary.

phxspurfan
06-02-2014, 01:42 AM
That was some next level bashing right there. Great watch. I also love how he took several jabs at the officiating.

Chinook
06-02-2014, 01:46 AM
Let's hope he never figures it out because he could be scary.

I imagine you mean Brooks, Westbrook or Durant. But I laughed because I thought you were posting that as part of the discussion about Coach Nick.

Chinook
06-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Coach Nick doesn't have the personality to do any national media shit, he's way too bland and corny, tbh..

Good breakdowns, though..

There was a period last year that he was trying to crank up the professionalism of his show. He dressed up in a suit and changed his green-screen background to look like something out of Sports Center.

I'm glad he quit that.

therealtruth
06-02-2014, 01:53 AM
I imagine you mean Brooks, Westbrook or Durant. But I laughed because I thought you were posting that as part of the discussion about Coach Nick.

I was talking about Westbrook.

Malik Hairston
06-02-2014, 01:59 AM
His show is fine, tbh, but being on ESPN has virtually nothing to do with your takes, it's entirely based on your connections + networking + having a shtick and appealing to the casual fan:lol..

My favorite ESPN personalities are Lebatard, Bomani, Wilbon and Kornheiser..I like their personalities and the format of their shows, I don't actually listen for their takes, though, since they're usually uninformed and nothing special(Bomani has good takes on life, music, etc, but not necessarily sports)..

heyheymymy
06-02-2014, 02:13 AM

did the same thing haha. once coach nick taps into his full potential, we're looking at a dynasty before his anchor career is over. instant hofer.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Dantoni's offensive system was quite potent for Phoenix. OKC's offense is potent simply because they have 2 of the top 7 or 8 offensive 1 on 5 players in the league. Big difference.

Not really. D'antoni's system consisted of taking a lot of shots and thereby making more points. It didn't pay any mind to defense. Brooks doesn't do that, but they're the same in the way that they are only successful due to players that cover for their shitty coaching. Its only when they come up against a team like the Spurs that they are exposed.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Russell Westbrook reminds me of Kobe Bryant. Insane talent, super ability. If the Thunder gets some like Phil Jackson to make Westbrook play in some kinda system, the sky is the limit for the Thunder.

That said, if the Spurs can retool cleverly after the Duncan-Ginobili era comes to an end with some skilled players to backup Kawhi, they will contend.

Westrbrook isn't half as smart as Kobe.

mclinejr
06-02-2014, 09:43 AM
The Thunder lost because they have no depth. While Westbrook and Durant are a deadly on offense, you can't rely on hotshot shooting.

vanvannen
06-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Great vid. Thanks.

Budkin
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Holy shit that would have been terrifying.

spurs10
06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Coach Nick is probably too good and honest to work for one of the major television affiliates. I am very shocked to see the same tired, obvious reporting these guys do. Little or no real analysis in fear of offending someone. Sure OKC and Brooks would be offended, as they well should.

DJB
06-02-2014, 01:43 PM
LOL @ the end where he says the Thunder's best hopes may linger on the Spurs retiring.

SnakeBoy
06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
The Thunder lost because they have no depth. While Westbrook and Durant are a deadly on offense, you can't rely on hotshot shooting.

I hope OKC believes this and sticks with Brooks. With a good coach and system that same bench would be good for 25-30 ppg and the Thunder would be dominating the league.

SpurSwag
06-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah not gonna lie as dumb as Westbrook can be sometimes, he's an incredible player. What he lacks in IQ he makes up for in just amazing basketball ability. That steal on the green pass blew my mind because I didn't think it was possible to pick off. That dunk he had in game 5 too was absurd too, definitely a player I would love to watch play for the next decade or so. Hopefully he stays healthy and leaves OKC, I'd love to see what he could do as the unquestioned number 1 option. Also fuck Kevin Durant dude is so soft

J_Paco
06-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah not gonna lie as dumb as Westbrook can be sometimes, he's an incredible player. What he lacks in IQ he makes up for in just amazing basketball ability. That steal on the green pass blew my mind because I didn't think it was possible to pick off. That dunk he had in game 5 too was absurd too, definitely a player I would love to watch play for the next decade or so. Hopefully he stays healthy and leaves OKC, I'd love to see what he could do as the unquestioned number 1 option. Also fuck Kevin Durant dude is so soft

So, you want to see the next Steve Francis? That's essentially what Russ would be without the presence of Durant on offense and Ibaka on help defense. They need more depth, although they have a good base with Jackson, Lamb & Adams, and better coaching/play calling, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen anytime soon.

will_spurs
06-02-2014, 03:25 PM
That video was brutal :wow