PDA

View Full Version : thabo-sefolosha as a off the bench defender

ducks
06-01-2014, 09:19 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/thabo-sefolosha-unsure-about-future-in-oklahoma-city/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

maybe get him to make corner threes?

ezau
06-01-2014, 10:07 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/thabo-sefolosha-unsure-about-future-in-oklahoma-city/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

maybe get him to make corner threes?

He can't defend and score anymore. That's the reason Brooks benched him the entire series. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in the NBA anymore next season.

Prime Time
06-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Sefolosha will definitely be in the NBA next year, mediocre teams like Atlanata and New Orleans will be all over that. Hell, would anyone be surprised if Indiana or Los Angeles (Clippers or Lakers) wanted him?

UZER
06-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Pop will make him an assistant coach.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 10:34 PM
No. The Spurs need a combo-forward, not the panhandling man's Danny Green.

timtonymanu
06-01-2014, 10:35 PM
He's done.

It won't surprise me if there is mutual interest though.

Chinook
06-01-2014, 10:36 PM
He might to go the Heat. If Miami tries to go for the ring again next year, they'll need new role-players.

Baam
06-01-2014, 10:43 PM
If they trade Beli for a pick sure. Having a good defender next to Manu would be quite the upgrade...

ezau
06-01-2014, 10:52 PM
The Spurs need another stretch 4.

spursparker9
06-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Might as well play Udoka.

Baam
06-01-2014, 10:59 PM
The Spurs need another stretch 4.

Bonner wont retire tbh... Besides if Tiago starts next year who do you find that'd want to be a 5th big... There's not much out there... SJax was really the perfect fit with his ability to guard bigger players like Dirk...

BatManu20
06-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Would rather have Marvin Williams, tbh.

cd021
06-01-2014, 11:06 PM
He hit 11 3's post all star break Green hit 11 3's in the 1st two games of the WCF. He, at best is a low volume average shooter. He may sign somewhere for the vets minimum.

Hes a 2 guard that is awful on offense. At least Allen is aggressive on offense and can dribble a bit along with boarding.

no.

cd021
06-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Been saying this for more than a year but Al Aminu would be a perfect fit at the 4 in San Antonio. Young, long, athletic and 6'10. Can dribble a bit and could learn to hit the corner 3. If Duncan were to retire. He'd be an nice fit alongside Kawhi and Splitter with Diaw still coming off the bench (could preserve his career). Should be rather cheap $3 million per season maybe.

ezau
06-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Bonner wont retire tbh... Besides if Tiago starts next year who do you find that'd want to be a 5th big... There's not much out there... SJax was really the perfect fit with his ability to guard bigger players like Dirk...

I'm thinking of developing Austin Daye. He's shown some flashes during the regular season.

cd021
If the Spurs are looking for a backup SF. I've heard Cleanthony Early mentioned as a potential draftee (in mocks) a 23 year old, 6'7 (in shoes) SF, 6'11 wing span and a 40' max vert. Thats Kawhiesque measurements (but much more athletic).

Also Damien Ingles but he's likely a draft and stash.

spurraider21
I'm thinking of developing Austin Daye. He's shown some flashes during the regular season.
I'd prefer to see Bertans come over than try to develop Daye. i think daye had like 1 good game against the Sixers

cd021
06-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Cheap enough but he really didn't show that much outside of the Phili game. He had a decent run in the 2nd @ GSW game but who knows.

sexinthatsx
06-01-2014, 11:56 PM
I'd prefer to see Bertans come over than try to develop Daye. i think daye had like 1 good game against the Sixers

I think Daye has a unique skill set for his height and can play the 4. If he continues improving his midrange with Chip England, he would help tremendously

heyheymymy
06-02-2014, 12:33 AM
thabo wasn't the parker stopper he has been and that may drop his stock a bit. not sure i'd be interested.

spurraider21
06-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Might as well play Udoka.

Raven
06-02-2014, 03:50 AM
depends on the money, but i expect him to be a hot commodity this off season, there is a boatload of teams that need his skillset badly. If cleveland drafts Embid, perhaps they could look to sign Thabo to cover some of Irvings sucky D.

4lifecowboy
06-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Daye has a better all around skill set right now, he has more potential on the defensive end. Plus he has NBA experience, and six months in the Spurs system he is a virtual lock to take over the stretch 4 position. I have a feeling once he takes it over he won't give it up.

Spursfanfromafar
06-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Was shooting a lot of open threes only last season before falling off the cliff after injury ridden season this year. And definitely was a good defender despite shooting woes. If he is willing to play for the minimum, he can be a suitable Kawhi/Green backup across the regular season.

Raven
06-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Was shooting a lot of open threes only last season before falling off the cliff after injury ridden season this year. And definitely was a good defender despite shooting woes. If he is willing to play for the minimum, he can be a suitable Kawhi/Green backup across the regular season.

:lol

exstatic
06-02-2014, 06:46 AM
I think Daye has a unique skill set for his height and can play the 4. If he continues improving his midrange with Chip England, he would help tremendously

He absolutely CANNOT play the 4. He weighs 200 lbs. Did you see what we did to Durant with Diaw? That kind of thing.

cd021
06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
depends on the money, but i expect him to be a hot commodity this off season, there is a boatload of teams that need his skillset badly. If cleveland drafts Embid, perhaps they could look to sign Thabo to cover some of Irvings sucky D.
he is a terrible shooter with no confidence. I can't imagine there is a team of suitors lining up. He is a vet min. type, his stock is really low after getting benched

Knoxxx
06-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Sefolosha is still just 30 which is an infant by Spur's standards. He may be a fit for us at the veteran's minimum?

spurspokesman
06-02-2014, 07:13 AM

CGD
06-02-2014, 07:56 AM

The spurs can, and I think should, do both next season if they commit to carrying 15 players. If Daye doesn't work they can move him at the Feb trade deadline for a future late second rounder, or include him as trade filler in another deal.

CGD
06-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Not a bad option actually. Utah loves him though so he may end up resigning there. I recently read somewhere that Utah was offered a pretty decent pick in a proposed trade for Williams, but passed.

99 Problems
06-02-2014, 08:02 AM
He might to go the Heat. If Miami tries to go for the ring again next year, they'll need new role-players.

Heat tend to stockpile old guys. I can see them sitting off a big Vince Carter trade in about 8 seasons time.

Raven
06-02-2014, 09:12 AM
he is a terrible shooter with no confidence. I can't imagine there is a team of suitors lining up. He is a vet min. type, his stock is really low after getting benched

ariza was a terrible shooter with no confidence and spotty D when he was signed to a big contract, funny thing, it was money weel spent. It's the other type of player, the flashy noD shooter that ends up being an albatros.

look_at_g_shred
06-02-2014, 09:32 AM
We don't need him which means we will sign him.

Jenks
06-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Perfect replacement for Battier

KL2
06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd love him on the Spurs. I don't care how much he's fallen off, he was once one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, at worst he could be serviceable in this system, even if it's 10 mins a game. I don't think he's suffered any major injuries or anything that bad so I don't see why he couldn't at least come close to his old form.

After KL/Verde the perimeter defense is pathetic, having just 1 extra defender like Sef would be huge, especially because he's got the lateral quickness to defend small guards that burn us.

His defense could also be revitalized by Green/Leonard/Pop, I could easily see them feeding off each others defense. Spurs fans should know the struggles of 3pt shooters, I don't see why he couldn't get his confidence back shooting wide open 3's working with the BEST shooting coach in the game.

Richie
06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd take him, even above the vet min, as long as it's just a 1 year deal. Chip can recover his shooting as he clearly has the ability to shoot 40% from 3, we just need to prioritise cap room in 2015

rascal
06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
He isn't any good. Go read what they think about him in the Thunder forum.

sexinthatsx
06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
He absolutely CANNOT play the 4. He weighs 200 lbs. Did you see what we did to Durant with Diaw? That kind of thing.

Okay, well maybe not the 4, but at least the 3. Kawhi can play the 4 for a small ball lineup. Daye will be one of those players where the opposing teams can't afford to leave him free behind the 3 pointer line just like how Matt Bonner had wide open 3's the past series. It can create some really good mismatches. Of course, Daye has to improve on his defense

cd021
06-02-2014, 05:55 PM
ariza was a terrible shooter with no confidence and spotty D when he was signed to a big contract, funny thing, it was money weel spent. It's the other type of player, the flashy noD shooter that ends up being an albatros.
Ariza was still pretty young and had a breakout year for the Lakers when he signed with the Rockets. He struggled in Houston and N.O but has been great this season in Washington. Sef has always been limited offensively, as opposed to streaky Ariza. He can defend but that alone doesn't earn you multiyear deals anymore. I don't think he can start for a good team. Maybe a bad team that hopes to improve on that end (Pelicans).

My guess is a 1 year vet deal if he can't produce he becomes a fringe NBA player.

cd021
06-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd take him, even above the vet min, as long as it's just a 1 year deal. Chip can recover his shooting as he clearly has the ability to shoot 40% from 3, we just need to prioritise cap room in 2015

He is capable of being a low volume, above average shooter but proves noting else on offense. We could probably do better in the draft.

ducks
06-02-2014, 06:03 PM
He isn't any good. Go read what they think about him in the Thunder forum.

yeah what people write in the forum on the internet is gospel