PDA

View Full Version : Oral history of Tim Duncan

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 08:17 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/06/02/fundamental-greatness-an-oral-history-of-tim-duncan/

Great article.

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Charles Barkley, Houston All-Star after preseason game in Duncan’s rookie season: “I’ve seen the future and he wears No. 21. I didn’t know he had that type of game. He was much better than I expected.”

Charles knew then. Do not think he would have envisioned that TD would be contending for title still, 17 years later though

:toast

Spursfanfromafar
06-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Wow. Great article. Great article. I am just lucky to be living in the era when Tim Duncan played.

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Duncan in 2010: “I think it’s pretty well documented that I wasn’t too sure about what to expect from (Parker). With his age, with his inexperience, with his lack of knowledge of the language … all those things went into it. I think it was the same thing, on a different level with (Ginobili). With French Boy, it was about him being, whatever, 13 years old and asking him to start for a team that’s been doing pretty good. With Crazy Boy (Ginobili), it was just getting used to playing with someone like that, taking some of the shots that he does.”

Duncan, in same interview on whether he anticipated transitioning so easily after ’03 title with Parker and Ginobili: “No. I was thinking if we can get better players than this, it would be easier next time.”

:lol

Spur|n|Austin
06-03-2014, 08:53 AM
We're some lucky sonsofbitches to have gotten the chance to watch Timmy come into the league, explode, become GOAT, then walk away (hopefully a champion).

100%duncan
06-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Who giggled at the thread title? :lol

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 08:56 AM
We're some lucky sonsofbitches to have gotten the chance to watch Timmy come into the league, explode, become GOAT, then walk away (hopefully a champion).

I maintain that TD plays two more years. 40 is a good retirement age. Next year, he will play his last year with Manu though

Shastafarian
06-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Duncan, at the Rookie of the Year press conference (decked out, of course, in a t-shirt): “Do I give a speech or something?”

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I think we would all like an oral history with the girl in your sig.

:)

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I remember like it was yesterday, all the arguments we had in our Spurs forum in 2000 over the TD decision of where he was going to play, Orlando or SA. That was a scary offseason......Thank God for DRob cutting his vacation short so he could talk to him before his decision.

100%duncan
06-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I think we would all like an oral history with the girl in your sig.

:)

Just finished the article. A very very interesting read, enjoyed it a lot. You know an article's great when you read it twice slower than your usual reading speed hoping it wouldn't end :lol Made me realize how lucky I am to be a fan heck to be alive in his time.

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Just finished the article. A very very interesting read, enjoyed it a lot. You know an article's great when you read it twice slower than your usual reading speed hoping it wouldn't end :lol Made me realize how lucky I am to be a fan heck to be alive in his time.

So true, we have all been blessed to have grown up or lived in SA, or South Texas so that we had chosen Spurs as our team over other two Texas teams

101A
06-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Beevis, Butthead, and, apparently, you.

100%duncan
06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
So true, we have all been blessed to have grown up or lived in SA, or South Texas so that we had chosen Spurs as our team over other two Texas teams

I come from a long way tbh :lol

I still remember Spurs shocking the Lakers in '03. Got interested. Became a fan after game 1 against Dallas. :toast

Old School 44
06-03-2014, 11:55 AM
This quote is from Dan McCarney, the writer of the article, but it always seems to fit the universal understanding that KG and TD don't like each other.

"Perhaps the only thing more consistent than Duncan himself is the near universal respect he’s earned among teammates, opponents and former players. Indeed, outside of long-time rival Kevin Garnett, it’s hard to find anyone with less than glowing praise for the Big Fundamental."

I'm sure deep down KG wishes he could have had a career like TD.

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 12:32 PM
This quote is from Dan McCarney, the writer of the article, but it always seems to fit the universal understanding that KG and TD don't like each other.

"Perhaps the only thing more consistent than Duncan himself is the near universal respect he’s earned among teammates, opponents and former players. Indeed, outside of long-time rival Kevin Garnett, it’s hard to find anyone with less than glowing praise for the Big Fundamental."

I'm sure deep down KG wishes he could have had a career like TD.

Outside of probably 5 players in history, I think this is probably true of the whole NBA world.

phxspurfan
06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
poor choice of title

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 12:39 PM
poor choice of title

Why is that? These are all quotes. Quotes come from words spoken, hence oral.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I came in here thinking Jim had decided to throw HIPAA to the wind and post some X-rays.

Hamez
06-03-2014, 12:54 PM
“I always say if we did what we did in New York, we’d be gods right now.” - Tony Parker

Old School 44
06-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Outside of probably 5 players in history, I think this is probably true of the whole NBA world.

True, but I doubt if you'd find many players below Tim in the "best players of all time" list that would begrudge him his position like KG. Earlier in their careers when KG was with the T-wolves, a lot of pundits would argue that KG > TD, you don't hear those arguments anymore.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I came in here thinking Jim had decided to throw HIPAA to the wind and post some X-rays.

Nice! :lol

"...and at age 8 Tim had two cavities filled. He was advised to cut the sugar and start flossing more regularly. Thus began Tim's subsequent 30 year quest for perfect oral health."

davidbowie
06-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Between this, grantland, Wall Street journal and the rolling stone one on pop...there are so many awesome reads about the spurs this week. EVERYONE LOVES US!!!!!!

We better fuckin win lol

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Shaquille O’Neal, former rival: “The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored. Whenever I run into a Tim Duncan fan who will claim Tim Duncan is the GOAT, I won’t disagree with him.” (Shaq Uncut)

Can't believe I used to dislike this guy. The more you know him, the more you like him.

Jimcs50
06-03-2014, 02:22 PM

:rollin

Damn, that was good.

Malice
06-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Dude, that article was legit. thanks for sharing that.

r0drig0lac
06-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Beevis, Butthead, and, apparently, you.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirollin.gif

PÒÓCH
06-03-2014, 05:17 PM
They had this guy on the ticket 760 Sports grind today.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Jim has a fixation on this kind of stuff.

BillMc
06-03-2014, 08:47 PM
This is just great. (Though one wonders what KG's comments are.:lol)

I wouldn't trade Tim's longevity for anything. We are lucky to watch him play so well for so long. There are those, who are young, who see the old Tim, in this multi-talented team, and says things like "Duncan is great, but he' a product of the system." That's the one slight regret of the longevity, is some forget what 2003 Tim was like, or pre-knee injury Tim was like, and don't realize that prime Tim was every bit as good as Lebron or Shaq or perhaps even Jordan. He was the bomb, the best player in basketball who carried teams to championships, before the time of rationed minutes and the ensemble cast era in SA.

The closet analogy is the Kareem of the mid to late 80's who was still great, but it was Magic's team and people diminish Jabbar a little for that during "Showtime". But go back and see the Kareem of the 70's and early 80's, when he was the best player in the world. He was amazing.

It is the nature of how long careers are remembered. Tim's career may be like that. People will remember the ensemble era Timmy, like they think of Jabbar as Magic's sidekick. Tim is not just a "Top 10" guy all time. He's a "Top5" all time. And while the difference is small numerically, that Top 5 is where he belongs.

Though let me be clear, despite the nostalgia in this message, I don't want Timmy to retire anytime soon. He should play as long as he wants, and if he's still "the man" or even just contributing at say 43? I'd be ecstatic.

Beaverfuzz
06-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Better than the anal history of Tim Duncan.

YES I WENT THERE!

:flag: :lobt2:

Ron Swanson
06-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Wow. Great article. Great article. I am just lucky to be living in the era when Tim Duncan played.

I agree with all of this.