PDA

View Full Version : Was Doc Rivers one game from replacing Popovich as Spurs head coach?

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/03/was-doc-rivers-one-game-from-replacing-gregg-popovich-as-spurs-head-coach/

Good read. One regular season loss could've changed the Spurs as we know them

Would "28 seconds" have happened with Doc at the helm? (Kidding)

benstanfield
06-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Doc would've bolted for Orlando at the first chance and taken Tim with him.

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Doc would've bolted for Orlando at the first chance and taken Tim with him.
:lmao I forgot about ORL and Timmy

spurman123
06-03-2014, 10:06 PM
For those around at the time and remember, was this a legit concern or just media trying to stir the pot like what happened with Vogel this season?

T Park
06-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Semi legit. I remember coming home from that day game Utah loss. The post game call in show was a blood bath.

DMC
06-03-2014, 11:00 PM
There's not really a media problem per se, there's a problem with too many media outlets all vying for the same small crumbs of information. Because of this, some stories are embellished and sometimes, as in the Tim Duncan "trash talk", completely fabricated.

spurraider21
06-03-2014, 11:02 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/03/was-doc-rivers-one-game-from-replacing-gregg-popovich-as-spurs-head-coach/

Good read. One regular season loss could've changed the Spurs as we know them

Would "28 seconds" have happened with Doc at the helm? (Kidding)
no way doc could have taken our team to the finals, so i guess no, 6 wouldn't have happened

heyheymymy
06-04-2014, 12:28 AM
great story in the next game where they all pull together and save pops job thumping the rockets? i want to say it was.

SnakeBoy
06-04-2014, 12:53 AM
People forget how much Pop was despised for firing Bob Hill. I remember people referring to him as Pop the Snake. Hill was the poor man's D'Antonio and had the spurs playing exciting offense so people loved him...but the defense was shitty. Imo it was Hill who cost the Spurs their first ring in 94. Now everyone says Hakeem owned DRob in that series but what I remember was Tomajanovich double/triple teaming DRob on one end and on the other end Hill just stuck DRob out on an island to guard Hakeem 1 on 1.

Mikeanaro
06-04-2014, 02:44 AM
People forget how much Pop was despised for firing Bob Hill. I remember people referring to him as Pop the Snake. Hill was the poor man's D'Antonio and had the spurs playing exciting offense so people loved him...but the defense was shitty. Imo it was Hill who cost the Spurs their first ring in 94. Now everyone says Hakeem owned DRob in that series but what I remember was Tomajanovich double/triple teaming DRob on one end and on the other end Hill just stuck DRob out on an island to guard Hakeem 1 on 1.
After that he traded George Hill, who knows maybe the next one is Solomon Hill, snake Pop hates Hill people (CIA POP).

baseline bum
06-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Pop was extremely close to getting axed and the Spurs were in talks with Portland about trading David Robinson for Rasheed Wallace. Amazing how close this franchise came to losing it all, because without the 99 title the arena vote fails for a second time and the Spurs move to New Orleans.

cd98
06-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Doubt one game. Some of that stuff is urban legend designed to make things a little more dramatic. Same with Tim leaving.

spurspokesman
06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Thank god for ping pong balls

exstatic
06-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Doubt one game. Some of that stuff is urban legend designed to make things a little more dramatic. Same with Tim leaving.

That was actually closer than people think. Orlando did a good job with only two mistakes: at the time, Tim virtually lived on Wendys, and they served some kind of fancy brunch, and they had an absolute policy forbidding wives/GFs on team flights, where the Spurs allowed in on an occasional basis.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2014, 08:52 AM

No, both of those things were pretty real. I can't say for sure what Peter Holt and management was likely to do with Popovich after that Utah game in 1999, but there was a palpable feel in the city (and particularly in the Alamodome) that Pop's job was officially on the line around that time. I don't think the Houston game that followed saved his job per se, but I do think that the run that started that night in Houston changed the course of the franchise.

And Tim leaving was absolutely the real deal. It was insane in San Antonio around that time, with people trying to read the tea leaves of Tim's demeanor and actions to figure out what he was going to do -- and the wait was just excruciating. I remember everyone talking about the appeal of Orlando because it was closer to St. Croix and things like that. Reports about Tim moving his prescriptions to an Orlando pharmacy and things like that were also swirling everywhere. It was a crazy time and it felt very real that Tim was unsure about what he was going to do. I think his retrospective comments make clear that none of that was imagined.

_jin
06-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Marc Stein describes the situation in his recent piece about Pop-Tim relationship
There are testimonies from Kerr, Rose, Avery and Bud, leaving little doubt about Pop job security at the time

Dex
06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
That was actually closer than people think. Orlando did a good job with only two mistakes: at the time, Tim virtually lived on Wendys, and they served some kind of fancy brunch, and they had an absolute policy forbidding wives/GFs on team flights, where the Spurs allowed in on an occasional basis.

:lol I've never heard this before...

The Whopper
06-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I greatly doubt that the USAA ownership group would sack the coach 14 games into a lockout shortened season where there was essentially no training camp or preseason. How would that help anyone? But it makes a good story.

baseline bum
06-04-2014, 10:22 AM

I think Tim was kind of trolling the Magic when they laid out that huge feast and he sent them off to get some Wendy's bacon cheeseburgers instead. Kind of like when he trolled Pop by telling him he had decided to go to Orlando, and then busted out laughing and told him he was kidding after seeing Pop's dejected reaction. I think Pop's response was along the lines of 'I need a drink.' :lol

baseline bum
06-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I greatly doubt that the USAA ownership group would sack the coach 14 games into a lockout shortened season where there was essentially no training camp or preseason. How would that help anyone? But it makes a good story.

I don't. Pop seemed like a stopgap when Hill got fired, but he stuck around another year after. Did you read that ESPN article where Avery flat out said he was about to get fired after the Utah game, and how David gave this big motivational speech before the Houston game about how they had to get that one? They were both really loyal to Pop after he took the heat for firing Hill, since they were the ones who wanted him out but Pop didn't want their names dragged through the mud as coach killers by the media.

baseline bum
06-04-2014, 10:32 AM

I don't. Pop seemed like a stopgap when Hill got fired, but he stuck around another year after. Did you read that ESPN article where Avery flat out said he was about to get fired after the Utah game, and how David gave this big motivational speech before the Houston game about how they had to get that one? They were both really loyal to Pop after he took the heat for firing Hill, since they were the ones who wanted him out but Pop didn't want their names dragged through the mud as coach killers by the media.

dunkman
06-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Not sure about Doc, but it made some sense for Tim to sign with Orlando. Grant Hill who just signed there was a bona fide all-NBA player, and people didn't know how serious was his injury. While already good in 2003, it wasn't sure Parker would reach all-NBA level too, and Manu seemed to be a role player at that point.

kskonn
06-04-2014, 10:49 AM
wow- this is taking me back. In regards to Hill getting fired I remember POP taking the heat for that, but I also remember the players where complaining because he was such a bad X's and O's guy. They would complain that they would break the huddle at critical moments in the game and have no clue what they were doing.

Pop getting fired definitely seemed like a real deal, I don't remember specifics but I do remember the buzz. People hated him back then.

Tim leaving, worst few months ever. I can still remember visiting Orlando while that was going on. They had bill boards of Duncan in a 21 Orlando Jersey, local businesses had welcome Tim Duncan signs up on their buildings, they set him up for a round of golf with tiger woods and all sorts of other stuff... I remember arguing with my buddies about if Duncan would stay or go. All I remember is that Robinson left his family vacation to come back and presumably talk Duncan into staying. That might have been the most significant contribution that Robinson had for the franchise.

phxspurfan
06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
No, both of those things were pretty real. I can't say for sure what Peter Holt and management was likely to do with Popovich after that Utah game in 1999, but there was a palpable feel in the city (and particularly in the Alamodome) that Pop's job was officially on the line around that time. I don't think the Houston game that followed saved his job per se, but I do think that the run that started that night in Houston changed the course of the franchise.

And Tim leaving was absolutely the real deal. It was insane in San Antonio around that time, with people trying to read the tea leaves of Tim's demeanor and actions to figure out what he was going to do -- and the wait was just excruciating. I remember everyone talking about the appeal of Orlando because it was closer to St. Croix and things like that. Reports about Tim moving his prescriptions to an Orlando pharmacy and things like that were also swirling everywhere. It was a crazy time and it felt very real that Tim was unsure about what he was going to do. I think his retrospective comments make clear that none of that was imagined.

I remember it was 50/50 that summer, and all the Stay Tim Stay signs

phxspurfan
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Also, after the 2002 curbstomping at the hands of the Lakers, I felt like the Spurs needed several pieces (shooters a reliable bench pieces) to contend. 4-down every play was not cutting it. If the Spurs didn't go out and sign Brent Barry (IIRC), Tim could have requested a trade.

phxspurfan
06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
And then the Manu for Brendan Haywood...lol

TheGreatYacht
06-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I really wish Doc was the spurs coach. Tbh

LongtimeSpursFan
06-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Thankfully we kept Pop as coach or else we would have never won four titles. Plus, Doc was a quitter when he left after Celtics started to bolt. Doc is overrated by many people on ST. He was fortunate to land into a Celtics that went all out and got Garnett and Allen. Now he is with the Clippers and can't even get them to WCF despite having some of the greatest talent in the NBA.

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Doc would've drawn up a good play tonight, tbh

hyhy
11-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Doc would've drawn up a good play tonight, tbh
Like what doc drawn for the clippers v spurs game?
Or the plays he drawn against thunder in the last playoffs?

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Like what doc drawn for the clippers v spurs game?
Or the plays he drawn against thunder in the last playoffs?
You can thank Choke Paul for that my friend. Doc didin't draw that CP3 turnover half court in OKC

ElNono
11-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Agreed... "play harder, play harder" was probably better than that...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Agreed... "play harder, play harder" was probably better than that...
VDN quit coaching the Clippers a couple of years ago

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Has Tom Rivers done any better than Vinny so far?

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Wasn't Pop almost fired until Duncan fell on his lap?

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:07 AM
who are you comparing to Tim Duncan?

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:08 AM
No one is comparing, where are you getting this from?

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:09 AM
I thought you were trying to make an analogy...

RD2191
11-16-2014, 01:10 AM
I just wanna know why Pop has no idea what to do with Kawhi, tbh. He needs to be more than just a role player, tbh.

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:11 AM
I just wanna know why Pop has no idea what to do with Kawhi, tbh. He needs to be more than just a role player, tbh.

He's waiting until after they give him the max next summer, IMO

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Nope. Just saying Pop had a once in a generation type of player. You asked what Doc has done, his team is flawed and it's only his second year as the head coach

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I didn't say a thing about Pop. I asked if Tom Rivers has done any better than Vinny del Negro on the Clippers so far?

Sometimes it is all about the players... after all, Thibs... err, I mean Tom did win one in Boston...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Yeah that Thibs... Such a career ender. He's literally the Rex Ryan of the NBA. Both end players' careers, defensive gurus, don't have an offensive bone in their bodies. It's almost impossible to teach BG, Crawford, Reddick defense tbh

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Don't have anything against Tom or the Clippers, tbh... just wondering when Ubuntu will get them past the 2nd round... I thought that's why they replaced Vinny...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm sure Pop, who is an expert at controlling players' emotions (Stephen Jackson) , could've kept the guys focused if Holt was a racist. They lost to the MVP tbh

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Maybe Tom should've said no when his known racist owner offered the contract... would've saved himself a lot of trouble, apparently...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Damn this whole time I thought he got traded there, my mistake. Talking about trades, didin't Pop trade a first round pick for Stephen Jackson? A guy he cut the week before the playoffs started and a known playoff performer?

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:39 AM
In before the "he got rid of RJ's contract" comment. Apparently Utah would've held him for you

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:42 AM
IIRC, the pick was conditional, and the Spurs always pick at the end of the 1st round anyways... we did save $10M on that trade (which is about the value of 1 or 2 1st round picks)

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:44 AM
and who got 'traded' there? coaches are not tradeable assets...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:46 AM
I don't even know why I'm defending Rivers :lol he's overhyped, but I just think he's a better out of timeout coach than Pop IMO

Clipper Nation
11-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Has Tom Rivers done any better than Vinny so far?
Easily. Vinny's "best" result was getting swept in round 2. Tom at least was competitive.

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:47 AM
and who got 'traded' there? coaches are not tradeable assets...
Didn't think you could, but apparently it's possible? http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9415256&src=desktop

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
:lol I think every coach fucks up, tbh... even the great Phil lost two Finals...

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Didn't think you could, but apparently it's possible? http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9415256&src=desktop

IIRC, the league threatened to block the trade...

This was from Stern back then:
The teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn't authorize trades involving coaches' contracts...The teams know that...It has been confirmed to them... It can't be gotten around by breaking it up into two transactions.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1679878-david-stern-wrong-to-block-proposed-doc-rivers-to-los-angeles-clippers-trade

I think eventually the deal was completed in a different way...

TheGreatYacht
11-16-2014, 01:52 AM
That good Ol Kobe chucking the series away against the Pistons and Phil not having the balls to stand up to him :lol

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Apparently, the trade involved KG too, and Stern threatened to block it, so they ended up going a different route.

But Tom knows what he was doing, tbh... I don't have anything against him as a coach, tbh... hopefully now that the racist is gone, the Clippers can reach their full potential except against the Spurs, obviously

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:53 AM
:lol yeah, Shaq was shooting like 66% too in those Finals...

ElNono
11-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Easily. Vinny's "best" result was getting swept in round 2. Tom at least was competitive.

While true, I think you're going to grow tired of Doc eventually... it's not ALL on CP3...

Clipper Nation
11-16-2014, 02:24 AM
While true, I think you're going to grow tired of Doc eventually... it's not ALL on CP3...

It's at least 99% on Choke Paul, tbh.

My one complaint about Doc is that he needs to step away from the personnel decisions. He loves signing washed-up former notable players from the mid-2000s. There's already rumors of Artest and Ray Allen. What we need is youth and athleticism, especially at the 3.

ElNono
11-16-2014, 02:56 AM
It's at least 99% on Choke Paul, tbh.

My one complaint about Doc is that he needs to step away from the personnel decisions. He loves signing washed-up former notable players from the mid-2000s. There's already rumors of Artest and Ray Allen. What we need is youth and athleticism, especially at the 3.

I don't know why he hasn't thrown the kitchen sink to get a guy like Wilson Chandler at the wing... can't be worse than what they have right now

exstatic
11-16-2014, 08:25 AM
People consider Doc part of the coaching Tree of Pop. I don't. Pop was still finding his way in the FO and Bob Hill was Doc's coach during his time in SA.

TheGreatYacht
05-01-2015, 12:28 AM
Fuck...

TheGreatYacht
02-19-2016, 12:22 AM
I really wish Doc was the spurs coach. Tbh

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Fucking Doc :lmao

Can't wait till he calls out the moving screens :tu

spursistan
04-25-2016, 07:35 PM

:lol

KDKSpurs24
04-25-2016, 07:35 PM
I just thought about that! He sure will call them out! :lol

Kawhitstorm
04-25-2016, 08:45 PM

2009 KG would have been more appropriate since they had a dominant record that season before KG got injured. Perkins injure is more like Porker getting injured in the '13 Finals.

Kawhitstorm
04-25-2016, 08:58 PM

The closest thing to that situation was Riley firing Stan Van Gundy

Pat would come down and tell Stan how to do something and Stan would want to do it his own way, and that was a fine game plan if you wanted to get yourself fired.

TrainOfThought5
04-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Yeah but Doc could never recruit Durant like Pop is about to.

K...
04-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Yeah but Doc could never recruit Durant like Pop is about to.

but we'd have austin rivers to play over parker

TheGreatYacht
12-09-2016, 01:07 AM

The gift that keeps on giving :lol

Must be nice to have a coach that still cares about basketball

Spurs_619
12-09-2016, 01:08 AM

don't agree with some of your take but you have been on fire tonight tbh..:bobo

TheGreatYacht
12-09-2016, 01:10 AM
don't agree with some of your take but you have been on fire tonight tbh..:bobo

Clipper Nation
12-09-2016, 01:18 AM

Please take Doc. He's a fucking moron. Gotta love how he tries to talk shit to the Warriors every time we play them, when they're clearly in our heads and not the other way around.