PDA

View Full Version : Mono

johnsmith
06-04-2014, 06:06 PM
My 5 year old was diagnosed with this today. His fever is almost high enough to merit an ER visit, I have a feeling we will be heading there shortly. Anyone have experience with Mono? What can we expect? His fever started yesterday and his Doc diagnosed him today. How long is this shit gonna last? Does it get worse? Etc...

This sucks btw

TeyshaBlue
06-04-2014, 06:11 PM
It can take months to run its course. He'll feel like he has a turbo charged version of the flu for awhile. Not particularly dangerous other than stressing the immune system. Had it in junior high. No biggie.
Its a virus so there's not really any way to treat it other than palliative measures.

The Gemini Method
06-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm guessing having it as a 5-year old vs. having it as a teenager or young adult would vary. I had a friend who had it and it kicked her ass for a while but there is little to nothing tangible that can be done other than the rest, fluids, and any other things his pediatrician would recommend.

Franklin
06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Should've made this thread before WCF ended (while mono was still around here), tbh.

Mugen
06-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Lasted about 3 1/2 weeks when I had it. Lost about 15 lbs tbh

xmas1997
06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I had it in my youth. It wasn't bad enough to hospitalize me, thank God.
But if you feel it necessary to take him to the hospital, by all means do so.
Do not take chances with your family.
Better to be safe than sorry.
He is in my prayers.

mrsmaalox
06-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Poor baby! I'm actually surprised because I haven't personally heard of any cases since way back like in high school. Never encountered it with my kids, I just didn't think it could be prevalent these days.

DMC
06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
I was under the impression that Mono left already. I knew he'd be back.

Malik Hairston
06-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Lasted about 3 1/2 weeks when I had it. Lost about 15 lbs tbh

Exact same story here, tbh..I was 16 when I got it, missed 3 weeks of school and lost around 15 pounds..

It was the shittiest I have ever felt, tbh, so awful..

DMC
06-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Exact same story here, tbh..I was 16 when I got it, missed 3 weeks of school and lost around 15 pounds..

It was the shittiest I have ever felt, tbh, so awful..

Even worse than the vomit after smelling that dank gash?

tlongII
06-04-2014, 11:30 PM
I would take him to the ER to be on the safe side. I've never heard of a 5 year old getting mono.

Malik Hairston
06-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Even worse than the vomit after smelling that dank gash?

:lol Mono was incomparable for me, tbh..I couldn't eat anything because my lymph nodes took over my entire neck/mouth/face, disgusting fever, lack of human contact, etc..so bad..

TE
06-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I felt like I was gonna die when I got it back in high school. It's horrible.

DMC
06-04-2014, 11:43 PM
:lol Mono was incomparable for me, tbh..I couldn't eat anything because my lymph nodes took over my entire neck/mouth/face, disgusting fever, lack of human contact, etc..so bad..

Never had it. Never had any of the childhood illnesses like chicken pox, measles, mumps... hell never even had a poison ivy rash, the flu or even a common cold.

100%duncan
06-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Better take him to the hospital/ER/admit. Obviously, it's different having Mono in your teen/adult years than when you are younger. Take care and always be on the sure side brother.

Franklin
06-05-2014, 12:36 AM
this shows another benefit of being a celibate imho. You can never catch such diseases like this if you're a celibate and don't kiss nothing but your own arms and your lifeless pillow, imho.

johnsmith
06-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Boy is fine...well, other then the fact that he has mono...doctors said it's really not that uncommon for toddlers and even infants. He's miserable though and now he's developing a stomach bug on top of it...my wife is exhausted...I on the other hand get to use work as an excuse to sleep.

johnsmith
06-05-2014, 02:41 AM
this shows another benefit of being a celibate imho. You can never catch such diseases like this if you're a celibate and don't kiss nothing but your own arms and your lifeless pillow, imho.

I will let my 5 year old know

slacker77
06-05-2014, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=johnsmith;7389031]Boy is fine...well, other then the fact that he has mono...doctors said it's really not that uncommon for toddlers and even infants. He's miserable though and now he's developing a stomach bug on top of it...my wife is exhausted...I on the other hand get to use work as an excuse to sleep.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't stress to much about it. My kid got mono around the same age as yours. Ya he's pretty much gonna feel miserable for a bit, but like any others virus you just have to let it run its course. I asked the pediatrician how could a child get mono. She said it could be anything. A kid could have been slobbing all over some toys at daycare and then throws them on the floor. Then you have another kid who picks them up and repeats. Bottom line is that your kid will be just fine. It's just gotta run its course.

Two10Whitey
06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Worst illness I've been through. I had it during the 07 championship run lol. I was sick as hell in bed watching the Spurs slaughter the Cavs. Be patient, it lasts a while. I was messed up for a month and it took me longer to recover and put the weight back on.

xmas1997
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Boy is fine...well, other then the fact that he has mono...doctors said it's really not that uncommon for toddlers and even infants. He's miserable though and now he's developing a stomach bug on top of it...my wife is exhausted...I on the other hand get to use work as an excuse to sleep.

Glad to hear this.

spurraider21
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Never had it. Never had any of the childhood illnesses like chicken pox, measles, mumps... hell never even had a poison ivy rash, the flu or even a common cold.
lol ubermensch... I never had the typical stuff like chicken pox either, but cmon a common cold? :lol quite the immune system u got

xmas1997
06-05-2014, 01:46 PM
When I was a kid I had the chicken pox, the flu, and scarlet fever all at the same time, sickest I ever was!

DMC
06-05-2014, 05:08 PM
lol ubermensch... I never had the typical stuff like chicken pox either, but cmon a common cold? :lol quite the immune system u got

My immune system is so "strong" that it's affected my kidneys. So yeah.

xmas1997
06-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I've been taking coral calcium everyday for the past twenty some odd years and I claim it has made my immune system go through the roof where I rarely get sick anymore, no colds, allergies, or flus, except the occasional food poisoning.