PDA

View Full Version : Zone defense

Pako
06-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I notice that spurs used zone defense during play off but not on extended minutes.. I know dallas did better job on this and was successful against miami in 2011. Do you think they did trial of it so they can use it as defensive scheme against miami?

BackHome
06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I think by playing with Timmy that they will use or should use zone a little bit throughout the series.

spursfaninla
06-04-2014, 10:09 PM
There are a lot of versions of zone defense, and the spurs use 2-3 zone with some frequency. It makes sense to throw different defenses at a team so they don't get into a rhythm so easily, and the zone has a tendency to cut down on cutting, which should help against the heat. However, it often creates increased number of open 3pt shots, and the heat have plenty of great shooters....

use but don't abuse.

DAF86
06-04-2014, 10:20 PM
I was about to make a thread about it. I think the Spurs should use it more often against the Heat specially when Miami uses the small-ball lineup with Bosh at center, so Tim doesn't have to get to far out.

Against OKC they used it almost exclusively after Thunder time-outs.

hater
06-04-2014, 10:20 PM
zone is used to alter the flow of the game thus cannot really be used too much

heyheymymy
06-05-2014, 12:52 AM
you throw zone at them to give them a different look and it throws them off for a bit and forces them to adjust. pop uses it sparingly within a game

MI21
06-05-2014, 01:52 AM
No stats, just my eye test, but I feel like the Spurs are pretty damn bad when they go into a zone.

Not a bad strategy out of times per par, but other than that, I'm hoping the Spurs use it sparingly.

spurraider21
06-05-2014, 01:55 AM
it would obviously be dependent on what lineup Miami is trotting out there too. it should be used, but sparingly. the last thing you want to do is let miami get comfortable with their offense

heyheymymy
06-05-2014, 02:01 AM
it would obviously be dependent on what lineup Miami is trotting out there too. it should be used, but sparingly. the last thing you want to do is let miami get comfortable with their offense

zone can leave some red carpets open to the rim, and i wouldn't look past miami to take advantage of that.

will_spurs
06-05-2014, 02:02 AM
I'd say zone was a strategy Pop used against OKC in combination with other moves, such as using his deep bench to constantly change the line-ups, match-ups and defensive assignments.

It worked well against a Thunders team that wasn't very disciplined, well prepared nor well coached, therefore OKC players had a tough time adapting to the new situations that kept arising.

I don't think that would work well against Miami, which is a superior team to OKC, with a core of players having reached 4 Finals in a row. They won't be confused by this kind of tricks.

Raven
06-05-2014, 05:22 AM
zone can leave some red carpets open to the rim, and i wouldn't look past miami to take advantage of that.

not sure if you know what a zone defense is..

BC3
06-05-2014, 05:35 AM
I'd say zone was a strategy Pop used against OKC in combination with other moves, such as using his deep bench to constantly change the line-ups, match-ups and defensive assignments.

It worked well against a Thunders team that wasn't very disciplined, well prepared nor well coached, therefore OKC players had a tough time adapting to the new situations that kept arising.

I don't think that would work well against Miami, which is a superior team to OKC, with a core of players having reached 4 Finals in a row. They won't be confused by this kind of tricks.

why do people say okc is a worse matchup problem than the heat? do u agree?

exstatic
06-05-2014, 07:06 AM
A zone leaves the offensive glass WIDE OPEN, because there is no "man" to put your body on and block out.

exstatic
06-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Yes. OKC is nothing more than iso ball. The Heat can actually move the ball.

Seventyniner
06-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I was about to make a thread about it. I think the Spurs should use it more often against the Heat specially when Miami uses the small-ball lineup with Bosh at center, so Tim doesn't have to get to far out.

Against OKC they used it almost exclusively after Thunder time-outs.

Bosh is an elite midrange shooter. Having Tim sag off him on purpose is death.

Using zone after timeouts, though, makes perfect sense. Those set plays by the offense are probably exclusively practiced against man defense so you can muck the whole offensive set up with a zone.

A zone leaves the offensive glass WIDE OPEN, because there is no "man" to put your body on and block out.

Miami is a terrible offensive rebounding team btw.

spurraider21
06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
OKC plays faster, and they are better at getting to the rim, putting a lot of pressure on Duncan who doesn't have the agility he once did. Their long athleticism combined with Ibaka had stifled our offense for a couple of years.

Miami plays a much better team game though, so its an entirely different animal

wildchild
06-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Zone can be useful to keep LeBron out of the paint, but Bosh 3's are effective in breaking down a zone. So, when Lebron's on the floor and Bosh goes to the bench, I can see Pop plays some zone.

BillMc
06-05-2014, 11:37 AM
A lot of Thunder bashing here. They did have the second best record in the league, far better than Miami.

DAF86
06-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Bosh is an elite midrange shooter. Having Tim sag off him on purpose is death.

Using zone after timeouts, though, makes perfect sense. Those set plays by the offense are probably exclusively practiced against man defense so you can muck the whole offensive set up with a zone.

In a zone Tim wouldn't be saggin off nobody, tbh. Miami has proven many times to struggle against zones, that's why I think they should use it more often.

Seventyniner
06-05-2014, 05:59 PM
In a zone Tim wouldn't be saggin off nobody, tbh. Miami has proven many times to struggle against zones, that's why I think they should use it more often.

Tim would have to sag off of everyone in a zone. His most effective place by far in a 2-3 is as the middle of the 3 at the rim.

DAF86
06-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Tim would have to sag off of everyone in a zone. His most effective place by far in a 2-3 is as the middle of the 3 at the rim.

Well, of course but that's by design. Usually in a zone nobody has an individual asigment. Duncan may be far away from Bosh but another Spurs player will be close to challenge the shot.