PDA

View Full Version : Incarceration Rate Of Blacks Now 6 Times The National Average

KoolAid Mans Brother
06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Incarceration rate for African-Americans now six times the national average

African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population

Approximately 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. 93% of these murders are perpetrated by other blacks.

African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites

Together, African American and Hispanics comprised 58% of all prisoners in 2008, even though African Americans and Hispanics make up approximately one quarter of the US population

One in six black men had been incarcerated as of 2001. If current trends continue, one in three black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during his lifetime

1 in 100 African American women are in prison

Nationwide, African-Americans represent 26% of juvenile arrests, 44% of youth who are detained, 46% of the youth who are judicially waived to criminal court, and 58% of the youth admitted to state prisons (Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice).

http://img.rt.com/files/usa/news/incarceration-african-black-prison-606/ford-shawn-speaking-break.si.jpgJob seekers take a break outside after speaking with recruiters during career fair sponsored by the Chicago Urban League and State Representative La Shawn K. Ford at Malcolm X College (Scott Olson/Getty Images/AFP)

The incarceration rate for American-Americans is so high that young black men without a high school diploma are more likely to go to jail than to find a job, thereby causing the breakup of families and instilling further poverty upon them.
“Prison has become the new poverty trap,” Bruce Western, a Harvard sociologist, told the New York Times. “It has become a routine event for poor African-American men and their families, creating an enduring disadvantage at the very bottom of American society.”
While few would argue against locking up murderers and rapists, many social scientists have begun to discuss the problem of imprisoning too many people – especially when those people face long sentences for nonviolent crimes. The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world, locking up about 500 people for every 100,000 residents, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
The incarceration rate for African-Americans is about 3,074 per 100,000 residents, which is more than six times as high as the national average. Black men in their 20s and early 30s without a high school diploma are particularly vulnerable: with an incarceration rate of 40 percent, they are more likely to end up behind bars than in the workforce, Pew Charitable Trusts reports.
“The collateral costs of locking up 2.3 million people are piling higher and higher,” said Adam Gelb, director of the Public Safety Performance Project of the Pew Center on the States. “Corrections is the second fastest growing state budget category, and state leaders from both parties are now finding that there are research –based strategies for low-risk offenders that can reduce crime at far less cost than prison.”
But while the cost of keeping prisoners might be high for government, the cost is even higher for African-Americans – especially to poverty-stricken families who lose a relative to the penal system. The Times interviewed parents Carl Harris and Charlene Hamilton, whose daughters grew up without a father. Mr. Harris, a crack dealer who received a 20-year prison sentence at the age of 24, was forced to abandon his family when he was locked up.
Unable to help out with the accumulating bills that come with raising children, Hamilton and her daughters ended up homeless on several occasions. Struggling to pay the rent and cover the costs of food, Hamilton also fought to pay for the out-of-state visits to see her daughters’ father.
“Basically, I was locked up with him,” she told the Times. “My mind was locked up. My life was locked up. Our daughters grew up without a father.”
And the couple’s story is not unique: 25 percent of African-Americans who grew up in the past three decades have had at least one parent locked up during their childhood, according to Project Muse. Police have more meticulously cracked down on crime and courts have imposed harsher sentences since 1980, causing the number of Americans – especially blacks – in state and federal prisons to quintuple.
And some believe that certain crimes shouldn’t merit sentences as harsh as the US imposes. Police never caught Mr. Harris dealing drugs, but arrested him for assaulting two people at a crack den. The man is now facing a 20-year sentence for charges including assault, in which he “broke someone’s arm and cut another one in the leg”, as well as a charge of ‘armed burglary’ at the crack den.
“The cops knew I was selling but couldn’t prove it, so they made up the burglary charge instead,” Mr. Harris told the Times.
The high incarceration rate of African-Americans has a detrimental effect on the black community. Epidemiologists have linked high incarceration rates to an increase in sexually transmitted diseases and teenage pregnancy, since the majority of those incarcerated are men, leaving a prevalence of females and greater occurrences of unprotected sex.
“A man will have three mistresses, and they’ll each put up with it because there are no other men around,” Hamilton said. Epidemiologists believe the AIDS rate among African-Americans would be lower if the incarceration rate dropped.
A high incarceration rate also affects children growing up without parents, brothers or sisters. Children are more likely to grow up impoverished, uneducated and emotionally strained. They are also more likely to become aggressive or depressed and could eventually end up in prison themselves.
“Education, income, housing, health – incarceration affects everyone and everything in the nation’s low-income neighborhoods,” Megan Comfort, a sociologist at RTI International, told the Times.
Since the incarceration rate is highest for African-Americans, it makes it more difficult for blacks to rise out of poverty, receive higher levels of education, and escape a life of crime. Young African-Americans are more often imprisoned than employed.
“The social deprivation and draining of capital from these communities may well be the greatest contribution our state makes to income inequality,” Dr. Donald Braman, a George Washington University Law School anthropologist, told the Times. “There is no social institution I can think of that comes close to matching it.”
While mass incarceration might temporarily reduce crime, in the long run, more Americans end up impoverished and more likely to commit a crime themselves.

Two10Whitey
06-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Black people are cool. I like Hiphop.

cantthinkofanything
06-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I didn't read all of that but it seems like in any society, the uneducated and less prosperous are going to take up a proportionately larger % of those incarcerated.

Avante
06-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I like stats.

USA sub10 sprinters 100% black
NFL starting cornerbacks 100% black
NFL starting running backs 100% black
USA 4x1 Olympic sprinters since 1968 100% black

Koolaid_Man
06-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Hey brother....compared to Blacks can you share the stats of how many Whites are incarcerated for Child Molestation, Rape, and Mass Homicide. :lmao

benefactor
06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I like stats.

USA sub10 sprinters 100% black
NFL starting cornerbacks 100% black
NFL starting running backs 100% black
USA 4x1 Olympic sprinters since 1968 100% black
So you are saying that they have no real use beyond competitive athletic entertainment. That's not really flattery, tbh.

Infinite_limit
06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
I didn't read all of that but it seems like in any society, the uneducated and less prosperous are going to take up a proportionately larger % of those incarcerated.
Blacks have generations in the USA. No excuse for being over taken by 3rd World immigrants with no English

Katherine Robinson
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
So you are saying that they have no real use beyond competitive athletic entertainment. That's not really flattery, tbh.

Music as well, ignoring the worst of the worst.

Katherine Robinson
06-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Blacks have generations in the USA. No excuse for being over taken by 3rd World immigrants with no English

It's just history repeating itself.
http://x4.fjcdn.com/comments/Silly+Obama+get+out+the+white+house.+You+re+black+ _916690e1cc908ac3b2a4bde9189a21ce.jpg

KoolAid Mans Brother
06-05-2014, 02:29 PM
http://x4.fjcdn.com/comments/Silly+Obama+get+out+the+white+house.+You+re+black+ _916690e1cc908ac3b2a4bde9189a21ce.jpg

:lmao

Wild Cobra
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
It's disturbingly sad how real that is.

cantthinkofanything
06-05-2014, 02:40 PM
It's disturbingly sad how real that is.

nothing sad about it. you work hard, you get rewarded...it's life at it's most basic.
except now, with the welfare mentality, the weak and lazy actually do get rewarded.
on second though...you're right...it is sad

Avante
06-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Working way too hard there amigo, simply stating some facts.

Franklin
06-05-2014, 05:25 PM
The true sad part of the story is that some hardworking smart college graduates like my nigga Jacob are stuck in dead end jobs working their asses off only to barely pay back student loan, while those whose lifetime highest academic achievements are high school diplomas are making 6 figures a year just for being dicks and assholes.

CubanSucks
06-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey brother....compared to Blacks can you share the stats of how many Whites are incarcerated for Child Molestation, Rape, and Mass Homicide. :lmao

Can you? Blacks are actually far more likely to sexually abuse children but the same media that doesn't like to show the daily murders in the inner city also doesn't care to show the stories of black children molested. Blacks complain about the media not reporting on missing black kids (Dave Chappelle's used that a few times) yet you're basing your child abuse claims on the disproportionate coverage

CubanSucks
06-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Good Lord I just dominated kool. Tool me a second to appreciate my KO post

Huey Freeman
06-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Good Lord I just dominated kool. Tool me a second to appreciate my KO post

Actaully you didn't Cuban. You typed a bunch a bullshit

Koolaid_Man
06-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Actaully you didn't Cuban. You typed a bunch a bullshit

LOL....Cuban is a joke...all I have to do is post the stats of the white child molesters and his whole argument goes to shit...what he doesn't realize is before I even ask a question I already have the answer....I'm just giving him enough rope to hang himself...:lmao

CubanSucks
06-06-2014, 11:50 AM
LOL....Cuban is a joke...all I have to do is post the stats of the white child molesters and his whole argument goes to shit...what he doesn't realize is before I even ask a question I already have the answer....I'm just giving him enough rope to hang himself...:lmao

So kick the stool out from under me and let me hang

Koolaid_Man
06-06-2014, 03:21 PM
So kick the stool out from under me and let me hang

let me tighten the ropes up round your nuts first....it's coming brah

TheyCallMePro
06-06-2014, 06:33 PM
White kids stay inside and play video games. Blame the black kid's parents who don't provide the same kind of stability and luxury that prevents kids from drifting into bad habits. Technology provides an escape that is desperately needed for young people to be able to cope with their issues.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2014, 07:31 PM
White kids stay inside and play video games. Blame the black kid's parents who don't provide the same kind of stability and luxury that prevents kids from drifting into bad habits. Technology provides an escape that is desperately needed for young people to be able to cope with their issues.

As someone who grew up without the technology edge I throw the bullshit flag on that one. I was doing college engineering classes with a freaking slide rule. TI calculators were "cheating".

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2014, 07:40 PM
In physics the fun topic to try to wrap your head around was a perpetual motion machine. It didn't have to do anything, it just had to keep running. They always starved and quit because of lack of energy input. The USA has created a perpetual do nothing but harm machine in the general black community by continuing to fuel it with tax dollars. Oh, you have the occasional kid like Kool whose parents seemed to have escaped the machine who then have to watch in dismay as their child stupidly throws himself back into the anti-assimilation pool of idiots. Sad for the parents, really. They deserved better.

DMC
06-06-2014, 11:03 PM

Horses, dogs, roosters... same thing.

DMC
06-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Yet you were catfished by a bull lesbiotch.

xmas1997
06-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Survival of the fittest.
Those who aspire to do great things usually work hard and rise to the top.
Those who don't, drop by the wayside.

ErnestLynch
06-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Careful what you ask for young brother.

ErnestLynch
06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/myth-whites-are-more-likely-to-be-pedophiles-and-child-molesters/

Where did the myth come from? It’s not certain, but for most crimes, especially violent crimes, Blacks have rates that are up to 6-9 times higher than Whites. For child molestation, these wildly elevated rates for Blacks are not seen; instead, the Black rate is close to double the White rate ( for sex crimes against children )

Red Hawk #21
06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

:rollin

Franklin
06-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Blacks just have a more generous attitude toward life imho. They don't work hard for nothing they just enjoy their lives

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Where did the myth come from? It’s not certain, but for most crimes, especially violent crimes, Blacks have rates that are up to 6-9 times higher than Whites. For child molestation, these wildly elevated rates for Blacks are not seen; instead, the Black rate is close to double the White rate ( for sex crimes against children )

This is very disturbing!