PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Concerns about the series.

midnightpulp
06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Feel free to add you own.

In addition to my (possibly irrational) concern about Rashard Lewis, here's some others I have that could prove problematic for the Spurs.

- Tony Parker's health

As we all know, Tony Parker's game seems to drop off 10% for every 2% he's injured. So a 90% healthy Parker will be 50% effective. We can get away with playing Joseph and Mills heavy minutes against teams like Portland and OKC, but the Spurs are going to need a near all-level Tony Parker to win this series. Gino doesn't have the legs to penetrate against the Miami defense anymore, and if Parker is hobbled, the Spurs have really no one who can get Miami's D back on their heels and make them work.

- Chris Bosh has come alive

A big reason the Spurs were 28 seconds away from number 5 last year was because of the poor play of Bosh. He was essentially a role player over the series and didn't contribute much outside of the offensive board that led to Allen's dagger. In these playoffs, Bosh has been on fire from midrange and 3, which is a big boost to Miami's spacing. Chris Bosh can become a big, big X-factor in this series.

- Danny Green will not go historic

Danny Green's long range explosion was another major reason the Spurs were seconds away from hoisting the O'Brien. I doubt he replicates that performance.

- Wade is healthy this year

He looked old in last year's Finals, and even then, he still had a pretty strong series, averaging 19.6, 4, 4.6 on .476 shooting. A healthy, motivated Wade is a different beast, and could be a huge problem.

- Does Duncan's wheels finally fall off?

Timmy averaged 19 and 12 on .490 in the Finals last year. Does he have the gas to do it one more time?

- Mental and Emotional Pressure

The Spurs perform best when they're detached from their emotions and function like automated parts in a large, efficient machine. It's the reason they're here and not OKC, even though they lack a superstar player and can win a big game on the road without their best offensive player. Because their system is second to none. While other teams try to beat you with their top 1-2 punch (OKC), the Spurs beat you with their whole. But I fear the Spurs might "try too hard" instead of letting the process of their system take care of itself. I also don't have much confidence right now in a close game that is going to come down to making freethrows. Game 6 is going to be running though every player's mind when they're at the line, and I can see a major case of the yips coming on, especially for Manu.

That said, let's hope we can take care of Game 1.

DMC
06-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Meh Spurs have already won this year. All the coverage and extra games is a huge win. The ring thing is a facade tbh. It's just one more series and if it goes 7 games, that's about all the money that's going to be made. It would be nice to ring again, but you have to feel like the majority of basketball fans and media hate the fact that the Spurs are here, despite all the "dream matchup" horseshit on ESPN. They hate this with a passion. That gives me a warm feeling inside.

ElNono
06-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Getting back to the Finals, obliterating alleged "daddy" OKC in the process, just goes to show this team is legit (in case anybody had any doubts last season)...

The Finals will be what they will be... While I like our chances, Miami is the back to back champs, and an phenomenal team... they're the favorites, IMO.

Thebesteva
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
NBA isnt going to allow Spurs to win sadly

DAF86
06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
The only fear I have is Lebron going supernova.

Koolaid_Man
06-05-2014, 07:53 PM
The only fear I have is Lebron going supernova.

Supernova is fine.....MJ and Kobe got Hypernova already locked up......:toast

Koolaid_Man
06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Feel free to add you own.

In addition to my (possibly irrational) concern about Rashard Lewis, here's some others I have that could prove problematic for the Spurs.

- Tony Parker's health

As we all know, Tony Parker's game seems to drop off 10% for every 2% he's injured. So a 90% healthy Parker will be 50% effective. We can get away with playing Joseph and Mills heavy minutes against teams like Portland and OKC, but the Spurs are going to need a near all-level Tony Parker to win this series. Gino doesn't have the legs to penetrate against the Miami defense anymore, and if Parker is hobbled, the Spurs have really no one who can get Miami's D back on their heels and make them work.

- Chris Bosh has come alive

A big reason the Spurs were 28 seconds away from number 5 last year was because of the poor play of Bosh. He was essentially a role player over the series and didn't contribute much outside of the offensive board that led to Allen's dagger. In these playoffs, Bosh has been on fire from midrange and 3, which is a big boost to Miami's spacing. Chris Bosh can become a big, big X-factor in this series.

- Danny Green will not go historic

Danny Green's long range explosion was another major reason the Spurs were seconds away from hoisting the O'Brien. I doubt he replicates that performance.

- Wade is healthy this year

He looked old in last year's Finals, and even then, he still had a pretty strong series, averaging 19.6, 4, 4.6 on .476 shooting. A healthy, motivated Wade is a different beast, and could be a huge problem.

- Does Duncan's wheels finally fall off?

Timmy averaged 19 and 12 on .490 in the Finals last year. Does he have the gas to do it one more time?

- Mental and Emotional Pressure

The Spurs perform best when they're detached from their emotions and function like automated parts in a large, efficient machine. It's the reason they're here and not OKC, even though they lack a superstar player and can win a big game on the road without their best offensive player. Because their system is second to none. While other teams try to beat you with their top 1-2 punch (OKC), the Spurs beat you with their whole. But I fear the Spurs might "try too hard" instead of letting the process of their system take care of itself. I also don't have much confidence right now in a close game that is going to come down to making freethrows. Game 6 is going to be running though every player's mind when they're at the line, and I can see a major case of the yips coming on, especially for Manu.

That said, let's hope we can take care of Game 1.

Brah the Spurs will be fine...I sure hope you don't start all this gotdam OCD shit again...

FkLA
06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Kawhi/Green is probably the best defensive duo in the NBA to throw at Bron/Wade. We got HCA.

We got this imo. :flag:

Clipper Nation
06-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Kawhi/Green is probably the best defensive duo in the NBA to throw at Bron/Wade. We got HCA.

We got this imo. :flag:
Don't forget Boris "Hakeem O'Neal" Diaw and his dominant, better-than-Duncan post game :lol