PDA

View Full Version : Does Danny Green's Shooting Overshadow his terrible decision making/TO's?

tholdren
06-05-2014, 08:49 PM
He and Parker have the worst timed turnovers ever. They never happen when we are up 20. They turn the ball over that cause huge swings (such as the last 6 point Danny fail) or momentum killers. The sad thing is about Green is they are lazy passes on the perimeter or, as we just saw, bringing ball up court. what the hell?

Assman
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Not tonight.

Malik Hairston
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
He's arguably the best overall defender on the team and is having a great playoff run..but Spurs fans meltdown when he turns the ball over twice a game:lol..

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Nice pass to Allen....for three...yes!

MI21
06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
He's arguably the best overall defender on the team and is having a great playoff run..but Spurs fans meltdown when he turns the ball over twice a game:lol..

Don't forget "Green has lost his shot" or "Green is in Finals Game 6/7 mode" because he missed two bail out 3pt shots with time running down... smh

703 Spurz
06-05-2014, 09:25 PM
When he doesn't make shots he's a liability.

look_at_g_shred
06-05-2014, 09:28 PM
No his defense does tbh..and it's not like the guy is turnover prone

tholdren
06-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I dont think it's a melt-down. I think it's a valid argument. 1. He's Slow. 2. He's not athletic. 3. He's overhyped on D (ahem Splitter) 4. He cant dribble. 5. Hes a streaky shooter. 6. Who is he defending today? Wade?

Again, he hits 3-4 3's in a row and people forget he sucks at almost all other aspects of the game. I think he looks good on D because, well, our other defenders are Tony, Manu, Patty (too small to defend anything but the 1), Marco... He doesnt do shit on offense other than hit staggers, whereas KL is expected to attack and try to rebound offensively.

So, I agree, good run shooting wise, but I think he has more TOs already than he did all last POs.

MI21
06-05-2014, 09:29 PM
When he doesn't make shots he's a liability.

Most Spurs fans are idiots.

tholdren
06-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Most Spurs fans are idiots.

great work calling names.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-05-2014, 09:30 PM
He's shook. I expected this, but that's why depth is important. We don't need green to win. We need like 3 of our foreign legion to play well on any given night. Doesn't matter who it is.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Granted it's just one half of one game

Shaolin-Style
06-05-2014, 09:37 PM
He's just all around bad tonight. Pop is a madman for keeping him in as long as he has.

tholdren
06-05-2014, 09:40 PM
He's just all around bad tonight. Pop is a madman for keeping him in as long as he has.
he shouldnt even be allowed to dribble.

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Pop was screaming at him, "F--cking rotate!!!"

tholdren
06-05-2014, 09:54 PM
he blows, plain and simple. Soft as a cupcake

Shaolin-Style
06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Well don't I feel like the asshole

Spurminator
06-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Balls of steel. And he had some pretty solid defensive moments, tbh

MI21
06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Malik Hairston and MI21 right about Danny Green, per par

freetiago
06-05-2014, 10:51 PM
theres always a few grey names who relentlessly hate a few players

Baam
Superjames
Hater
Skull-1
Rob Diaz

now tholdren can be added to the terrible list of posters on this site

pgardn
06-05-2014, 10:58 PM
He has a very tough time shooting, passing, thinking after he dribbles unless he is going full steam in a straight line.

This is a real problem. Luckily we have a team that understands this and plays him to his best abilities. He needs to work tirelessly over the summer. Have Leonard cover him in a smaller defined space and just start slowly.

His D and spot up shooting might be the best on the team.

Chinook
06-05-2014, 11:04 PM
I dont think it's a melt-down. I think it's a valid argument. 1. He's Slow. 2. He's not athletic. 3. He's overhyped on D (ahem Splitter) 4. He cant dribble. 5. Hes a streaky shooter. 6. Who is he defending today? Wade?

Again, he hits 3-4 3's in a row and people forget he sucks at almost all other aspects of the game. I think he looks good on D because, well, our other defenders are Tony, Manu, Patty (too small to defend anything but the 1), Marco... He doesnt do shit on offense other than hit staggers, whereas KL is expected to attack and try to rebound offensively.

So, I agree, good run shooting wise, but I think he has more TOs already than he did all last POs.

The really bads.

06-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Everyone got in on the turnovers.. they are a huge problem. Spurs need to look before they pass. I know they are usually disciplined enough to be at the correct spots on the floor on any given time but you still have to check to see if the coast is clear before you pass.

$pursDynasty
06-05-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't mind the cold shooting at first, Danny is deadly when wide open but the Heat close so fast, wide open is rare, he needs to be more careful with the basketball, and play good defense first and foremost.

myhc
06-05-2014, 11:25 PM
I think Danny is guaranteed to have 1 horrible turnover each game that leads to a breakaway dunk. But his D is crucial. Marco and Manu out there at the same time guarding Allen and Wade is frightening.

$pursDynasty
06-05-2014, 11:27 PM
worse yet one time after a switch Marco was on LBJ and I was like oh crap!

Malik Hairston
06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
:lmao OP is so awful, tbh..

Wade shot 1-4 from the field against Green, and Ray Allen scored 0 points against him when Pop made the switch in the 2nd half..

It's puzzling that so many Spurs fans don't realize how the Spurs' defense became elite again after struggling for years..

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
theres always a few grey names who relentlessly hate a few players

Baam
Superjames
Hater
Skull-1
Rob Diaz

now tholdren can be added to the terrible list of posters on this site

Yawn. How many times do we have to see this lazy pass by Green taken the other way before we get someone to tell him to wake up? You call us haters but he does it constantly. Inexcusable. Lazy. Even Pop got pissed. Dribble it up ahole. Don't give Allen the assist on a three!

Aztecfan03
06-05-2014, 11:46 PM
great work calling names.

If the shoe fits.

pgardn
06-05-2014, 11:46 PM
If I learned Green was out for the series I would bet us to lose the series.

Raven
06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
this thread :lol:lol:lol

moisaenz
06-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Everyone wanting green to be like lebron james

Mr. Body
06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Danny Green is a fantastic player. Exceptional defense and he kept shooting last night. It's awesome to have him.

He needs to adjust to guarding Wade. (So does everyone else.) Westbrook is a straight-ahead player, so athletic he can blow by you. Wade can't, but he's far more crafty. Green will adjust and not overshoot him, staying at home more.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-06-2014, 10:50 AM

He's a great defender, but lets not get crazy... Leonard is by far better..

gospursgojas
06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Best defender on team

Mugen
06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Kawhi can blow plays up and play the passing lanes better, but there's a very solid case for Green being the better individual defender tbh.

cd98
06-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Danny Green's two turnovers were particularly hurtful in this game as they led to 5 points. But in the general balance of things, he was definitely a net positive and we can't win without his defense and the threat of his three point shooting. Indeed, I would say the very fact that he got hot after being ice cold just makes him all the more dangerous in the minds of the Heat. They know they have to stay home on him, even on an apparently off night, which opens the paint.

Jenks
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Kawhi can blow plays up and play the passing lanes better, but there's a very solid case for Green being the better individual defender tbh.
I would like to hear that case.

superbigtime
06-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I sure would like Green to cease and desist with the lazy passes and poor entries to Timmy, but if Danny averages like 14ppg I think we win the series.

Raven
06-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I would like to hear that case.

cory joseph is the best against screens (like the best in the league by far), green is the best against quickness, kawhi is the best disruptor and rebounder and tiago is the best against the pick and roll defender.

DMC
06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Didn't Danny only have 1 turnover?

Tim had 5
Leonard had 4
Parker had 4
someone else had 4

But Danny's problem isn't turnovers, it's lack of situational awareness. It's like he's never aware of what the Spurs are doing, and he has to try to figure it out on the fly which often looks awkward, but most of his turnovers are really obvious bad decisions, not forced.

DMC
06-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Yawn. How many times do we have to see this lazy pass by Green taken the other way before we get someone to tell him to wake up? You call us haters but he does it constantly. Inexcusable. Lazy. Even Pop got pissed. Dribble it up ahole. Don't give Allen the assist on a three!

No. Tony needs to come get the ball in that situation. Spurs sprinting back without recognizing who has the ball is a problem. They did it with Tim once or twice as well and he had to bring it up.

DarrinS
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Tim had 5 TO. Danny had 2. Lol at this thread -- it's Skull1 bad

DarrinS
06-06-2014, 12:01 PM
My mistake --Danny had 1 TO

benefactor
06-06-2014, 12:07 PM

This is one of the worst takes I've ever read...like category creating bad.

Jenks
06-06-2014, 12:19 PM
cory joseph is the best against screens (like the best in the league by far), green is the best against quickness, kawhi is the best disruptor and rebounder and tiago is the best against the pick and roll defender.
That's you handing out ribbons to make each player feel special and not a case (which I didn't expect anyway).
Green is a very good defender but Kawhi is much, much better. Even in your special ribbon argument, I'd point to game 5 last series to blow that out of the water.

tholdren
06-06-2014, 03:32 PM
This is one of the worst takes I've ever read...like category creating bad.

YET HE HE 3 in a ROW and people are now declaring him ELITE .... smh you proved my point for me tbh.. we're done here.

Raven
06-06-2014, 03:55 PM
That's you handing out ribbons to make each player feel special and not a case (which I didn't expect anyway).
Green is a very good defender but Kawhi is much, much better. Even in your special ribbon argument, I'd point to game 5 last series to blow that out of the water.

the case is the fact that green is better than kawhi when facing quicker players, he is better at staying in front of his man. And i'm not saying he is overall better, just better at his own thing, they do complement each other perfectly.

Chinook
06-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Green puts up superior stats. He was dominant last series statistically. Damned straight there is a legit case that Green is not only better than Leonard, but that he's far better.

Jenks
06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
the case is the fact that green is better than kawhi when facing quicker players, he is better at staying in front of his man. And i'm not saying he is overall better, just better at his own thing, they do complement each other perfectly.
They do compliment each other, but Kawhi not only better, but more versatile. Kawhi can do Green's job, but not vice versa - again, game 5. Pop didn't make that switch because he thought Green would do a better job on Durant :)

Kawhi has already made the all defensive 2nd team, he'll make 1st team and possibly even DPOY in his career. He's elite. I'm a huge Danny Green fan but he's not in that category.

BackHome
06-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Pop was screaming at him, "F--cking rotate!!!"

Yeah I saw that he was really tearing him a new one.

Shabazz
06-06-2014, 11:47 PM
My mistake --Danny had 1 TO

and it came right after he had stolen the ball, so it was a net 0.

Chinook
06-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Coach Nick also said that TO was on Parker for not coming back to thw ball. He was more critical at Green not closing in on Allen.

Prime Time
06-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Imagine if Green played for Miami. Yeah, he's that good.

Spursfanfromafar
06-06-2014, 11:54 PM
One can make the case that Danny Green is the best wing defender in the league right now. Just smarts, positioning and good sense.

Kawhi is not far behind as some would like to seem though. Both are terrific defenders, but Kawhi offers a bit more versatility in his position and still has lots more to give. Danny, OTOH, has peaked.

Darius McCrary
06-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Danny Green is the L.D.N., tbh

Malik Hairston
06-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Kawhi has the higher ceiling because of his physical attributes, his wingspan and hand size is historic, along with playing in an elite defensive system and learning from some of the best defensive minds of all-time(Pop, Duncan, and I'm sure Bowen has dropped some knowledge, too)..

Both Leonard and Green have elite Synergy defensive numbers IIRC, they are easily the best defensive duo in the league..I think Green is a slightly better defender at the moment, but Leonard peaks higher and can create more havoc when his defensive game is on..

Tom Haberstroh(maybe the best at ESPN, tbh) was on the Lebatard Show earlier today and said that Danny Green is possibly the best transition defender he has ever seen..

Chinook
06-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Green was one of the few players I've seen wrap James up effectively while also not really hitting him hard. Takes both a lot of strength and a lot of skill.

Raven
06-07-2014, 05:47 AM
One can make the case that Danny Green is the best wing defender in the league right now. Just smarts, positioning and good sense.

Kawhi is not far behind as some would like to seem though. Both are terrific defenders, but Kawhi offers a bit more versatility in his position and still has lots more to give. Danny, OTOH, has peaked.

i agree with this, but somehow every year it looks like LDN has peaked, and then somehow the next year he improves a lot in something..

therealtruth
06-07-2014, 05:45 PM
That airball floater was pretty bad. At least hit rim.

tim_duncan_fan
06-07-2014, 06:26 PM
If you're a Spurs fan but not a Green fan, it probably just means you're stupid.

littlecoyotecoin
06-07-2014, 08:00 PM
worse yet one time after a switch Marco was on LBJ and I was like oh crap!

But, if you noticed, Bron had a wall of Tim and Tiago (maybe the other big was Diaw) behind him when that occured. It looked good. Marco bodied up and flailed around a little too much and got a foul, but the team D looked good on that play. The help was there. Bron had a tough jump shot, or a pass, I think.