PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green's scoring in the 4th will receive the attention..

Malik Hairston
06-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Because fans only look at scoring(including most Spurs fans, mostly idiots), but Ray Allen scored 0 points when Pop switched Green on to him for the final quarter..

Great coaching move that will probably go unnoticed, tbh..

Capt Bringdown
06-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Fuck me, Allen was giving me a heart attack. Allen dunking on us?

RodNIc91
06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Because fans only look at scoring(including most Spurs fans, mostly idiots), but Ray Allen scored 0 points when Pop switched Green on to him for the final quarter..

I did notice! I don't know why was Bellineli guarding him in the first place

DAF86
06-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Long. Dicked.

timtonymanu
06-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Had a good defensive performance once again.

The Danny Green hate on this forum is unnecessary. :lol

Fireball
06-05-2014, 10:52 PM

Great coaching move that will probably go unnoticed, tbh.. Green is at his best when he has a job on the defensive end ... then somehow his offense also finds ways

Darius McCrary
L.D.N.

freetiago
its not that hard to limit Allen imo
Spurs just left him wide open for whatever reason like 5-6 times
usually with Marco probably calling out a switch when Tim Duncan is the guy who woudl switch and he obviously wouldnt

HI-FI
if nothing else, Spurs need to win to prevent that royal douchebag Allen or even Rashard Lewis from ringing.

100%duncan
06-05-2014, 10:53 PM
He deserved criticism for what he was doing in the first 3 quarters tbh. :lol And it wasn't his fault that Pop kept putting Beli on Wade while he was doing a good job on D. The dude showed up in the 4th, but that's what he's supposed to do after all. Props to Verde for winning the game for us.

Seventyniner
06-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Allen missed several wide open 3s in the 2nd and 3rd. This obv doesn't disprove your point, in fact it probably makes it stronger.

Danny seems to have his offense fueled by his defense, the opposite of most players.

crc21209
06-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Green definitely did great on Allen in thet qtr defensively. I think some credit on the offensive end has to go to Diaw. He was great on some plays, including that hook/loop pass to Green for the 3..

OldSilentHill
06-05-2014, 11:22 PM
To the OP: true, but we damn needed him :(

Malik Hairston
06-05-2014, 11:37 PM
its not that hard to limit Allen imo
Spurs just left him wide open for whatever reason like 5-6 times
usually with Marco probably calling out a switch when Tim Duncan is the guy who woudl switch and he obviously wouldnt

It's truly amazing how clueless Belinelli is on defense, tbh:lol..

And ya, it was frustrating watching a player like Ray Allen, with no speed remaining and limited athleticism, beating Spurs defenders all over the floor..

Spursfanfromafar
06-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Danny Green is the best SG defender in the league, period. His only competition is Tony Allen.

wildchild
06-05-2014, 11:42 PM

You always blame the fans and the media for Danny doesn't get attention...but what about Pop?

The fans react to Pop's decisions, because is Pop -not the media or the fans- who chooses offense over defense and sits Danny when his 3's aren't falling or he loses the ball..

spursparker9
06-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Danny Green is the best SG defender in the league, period. His only competition is Tony Allen.

Got to agree.

Tony Allen's defence on KD was incredible.

Shabazz
06-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Got to agree.

ducks
06-06-2014, 12:33 AM
tp said during game he kepted encouraging danny and in the 4 danny caught fire

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:34 AM

Ray was left wide open most of the game and didn't do a lot of damage.

ElNono
06-06-2014, 01:04 AM
I thought when he fucked up that inbound, and then left Ray Allen wide open for a 3 (that Allen knocked down) in the 1st half, Pop was going to bench him for the night...

Glad he didn't...

Chinook
06-06-2014, 01:12 AM
I thought when he fucked up that inbound, and then left Ray Allen wide open for a 3 (that Allen knocked down) in the 1st half, Pop was going to bench him for the night...

Glad he didn't...

He probably didn't bench Green because that wasn't an inbound pass on which he turned it over. It was after a steal Green just had. So even though that steal turned out badly, Danny was still making plays on D. I think, had Green made that mistake off an inbound pass, he may well have sat.

Sean Cagney
06-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Got to agree.

If they don't choke that game 4 away when they had the lead late they win that series in 5 games..... Memphis outplayed them most of that series as far as the first 5 games go, easily. They were a better team in the earlier part of that series, fell apart in games 6 and 7 though.

Malik Hairston
06-06-2014, 01:28 AM
You always blame the fans and the media for Danny doesn't get attention...but what about Pop?

The fans react to Pop's decisions, because is Pop -not the media or the fans- who chooses offense over defense and sits Danny when his 3's aren't falling or he loses the ball..

True, but Pop has actually stuck with Danny for longer stretches since abandoning him a little in the Mavs series..

I also can't really analyze Pop's motives, as he's a hard-ass that seems to treat Green the same way he used to treat Tony Parker earlier in his career..

FkLA
06-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Did y'all hear Pop in the press conference though? He said shooting is his only skill and if he's not hitting them he might as well play someone else. I think Party was about to come in for him before he hit the first three.

Love Pop but couldn't help but smh at his comments tbh.

Chinook
06-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Did y'all hear Pop in the press conference though? He said shooting is his only skill and if he's not hitting them he might as well play someone else. I think Party was about to come in for him before he hit the first three.

He's trying to prop up Leonard by downplaying Green's defense. He's pretty much been doing it for the past two years. One of the major reasons the media ignores Danny's contributions on that end is that Pop never really mentions them. At this point, I don't know if Pop is deep undercover trying to motivate Green or if he truly doesn't realize how essential Danny is to this whole thing.

gilmor
06-06-2014, 01:58 AM
U guys are too sensitive.. Pop said that he is not going to tell the reporter what's it with Green and then he said that.. He just doesn't want to given anything away..

Floyd Pacquiao
06-06-2014, 01:59 AM

Wow, maybe they were talking about beli and thought you heard green?

FkLA
06-06-2014, 02:10 AM

Nah it was about Green for sure.

Makes sense though. Now we know why Pop pulls the plug on him so quickly when hes not hitting them.

06-06-2014, 03:06 AM

“That’s what he does, you know? That’s [shooting 3s] his major skill,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “If he’s not going to do that, then we might as well play somebody else. That’s the honest-to-God’s truth. I thought the percentages were with him. So we stuck him back out there and he came through.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/06/green-goes-from-cold-to-hot-in-a-flash/

He is honest to god that he's in there to shoot threes. Simply amaze

Raven
06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
smh pop

Baam
06-06-2014, 10:37 AM
He's trying to prop up Leonard by downplaying Green's defense. He's pretty much been doing it for the past two years. One of the major reasons the media ignores Danny's contributions on that end is that Pop never really mentions them. At this point, I don't know if Pop is deep undercover trying to motivate Green or if he truly doesn't realize how essential Danny is to this whole thing.

Part of it is Pop having a tough love approach with Green like he did with TP, maybe because he feels he's someone who isn't naturally disciplined or something and needs it...

But sadly the other part is just Pop going full retard and ignoring the incredibly shitty advanced stats of Beli and being psychorigid about the whole thing...

DBMethos
06-06-2014, 11:13 AM

Just trying to keep his market value down.

06-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Just trying to keep his market value down.

Genius

timtonymanu
06-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Pop knows what he's doing. I think he still underestimates Green but he knows Green is a legit defender. Otherwise, he would have sat him in Game 6.

Seventyniner
06-06-2014, 01:57 PM

I agree that Pop is doing what he can to keep Kawhi happy. He knows Kawhi is the best hope the Spurs have of retaining a high-level player after Duncan and Ginobili retire. Kawhi regularly breaks the offense for contested long 2s while getting fouls on stupid reaches on defense and doesn't seem to get any grief for it.

Pop at least seems to recognize that Danny is better than Marco or else Marco would be starting.

SpurPadre
06-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Pop knows what he's doing. I think he still underestimates Green but he knows Green is a legit defender. Otherwise, he would have sat him in Game 6.

This. I also think it's CIA Pop at work since every team always mentions Kawhi, TD and even Splitter every now and then as our best individual defenders and I think Pop likes the fact that no one acknowledges Green for it because it allows him to catch teams by surprise during game action. That's an X factor and if it continues to be under the radar, Pop would rather keep it that way.

Raven
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
This. I also think it's CIA Pop at work since every team always mentions Kawhi, TD and even Splitter every now and then as our best individual defenders and I think Pop likes the fact that no one acknowledges Green for it because it allows him to catch teams by surprise during game action. That's an X factor and if it continues to be under the radar, Pop would rather keep it that way.

If that's our x factor than we're fucking toast

SpurPadre
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
If that's our x factor than we're fucking toast

AN X factor. There can be more than one.

Spur|n|Austin
06-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Pop has a point to some extent, and possibly could just be lighting more fire under his ass with the comments. Danny is a proven defender on this team, and Pop obviously knows that, but if Danny is not scoring for us AND turning the ball over, it's no bueno. Good game by Danny.

slick'81
06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Green was horrible early but made up for it late obviously we all know what kind of defender he is it also helps Lebron missed the final 6 minutes

tholdren
06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Ray Allen was missing wide open threes. That wasn't a "coaching move"

wildbill2u
06-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Allen was wide open late in the game on many shots but wasn't hitting the shots, probably because he was tired from the heat and the minutes he played.

Green's defense comes and goes. He gets rubbed off on screens a lot. Allen's very good at getting free off of a lot of movement around the court baseline to get screens. He loses players like Manu and Green with great regularity.

RD2191
06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
:wakeup

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 05:56 PM

I would bet that Pop knows exactly how to motivate Danny. Danny certainly knew he didn't have a great game 5 according to him in the post game interviews.

siraulo23
06-16-2014, 06:11 PM
^ post game speech for pop to the team: when pop said he's glad it's over after being hard on the players all year long and the team straight away pointed to danny recognising pop's coached him hard and he was the first to have the moment with pop

Malik Hairston
06-16-2014, 06:13 PM
^ post game speech for pop to the team: when pop said he's glad it's over after being hard on the players all year long and the team straight away pointed to danny recognising pop's coached him hard and he was the first to have the moment with pop

:lol ya, I saw that, too..

Pretty cool that Pop treats Green like he treated TP in his early days..it could be a "cocky nigga" thing:lol.