PDA

View Full Version : Does AT&T Take Their Name Off the Building?

DMC
06-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Embarrassing for a nationally televised event for your building to be broken.

DMX7
06-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Nope, they scored a ton of free (kinda) advertisement time tonight.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Awesome thread...

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 11:25 PM

It is about on par with their website and customer service, tbqh.

06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
The Superdome blackout takes precedence

Beaverfuzz
06-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Yep, didn't bother Mercedes Benz!

Proxy
06-05-2014, 11:31 PM
who cares

Arcadian
06-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Meh, this will be forgotten...

Spurs9
06-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Does this trump the fire in Mexico spurs game?

crc21209
06-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Meh, get over it. Shit happens. There have been worse things in sports. Just ask New Orleans during the Super Bowl when the power went out during the most watched sporting event every year..

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Again. On par with AT&T customer service and website performance.

DMC
06-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Meh, get over it. Shit happens. There have been worse things in sports. Just ask New Orleans during the Super Bowl when the power went out during the most watched sporting event every year..

Don't tell me, tell AT&T execs who will be discussing Lebron James being carried out of their broken building on national television. You can bet your ass when Rod Thorn has to speak to the press, someone is getting fired.

Biernutz
06-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Tonight's game was on par with the fire sprinkler hose at the Dome

DMX7
06-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Don't tell me, tell AT&T execs who will be discussing Lebron James being carried out of their broken building on national television. You can bet your ass when Rod Thorn has to speak to the press, someone is getting fired.

lol, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Skull-1
06-05-2014, 11:56 PM

This happened in the Super Bowl. Our reliance on technology is our downfall.

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:03 AM
lol, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Those of you who are hourly workers would have no idea. What would make a sponsor drop out? Kobe's sponsors dropped out because he went to trial for rape. He wasn't found guilty, but they still dropped out. It's about the image, not the facts.

DMX7
06-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Those of you who are hourly workers would have no idea. What would make a sponsor drop out? Kobe's sponsors dropped out because he went to trial for rape. He wasn't found guilty, but they still dropped out. It's about the image, not the facts.

lol, I'm not an hourly worker, but you sound like one. This is ONE game and the contract they have is giving them shit loads of advertisement for almost nothing (relatively speaking, of course). They are not going to "drop out", lol. Wanna bet? :lol

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:09 AM
lol, I'm not an hourly worker, but you sound like one. This is ONE game and the contract they have is giving them shit loads of advertisement for almost nothing (relatively speaking, of course). They are not going to "drop out", lol. Wanna bet? :lol

So how much do they spend to have a building named after them. I'm sure you're in the know. What's their expenditure for this relatively free advertisement that the building with their name on it malfunctioned during a prime time event?

DMX7
06-06-2014, 12:11 AM
So how much do they spend to have a building named after them. I'm sure you're in the know. What's their expenditure for this relatively free advertisement that the building with their name on it malfunctioned during a prime time event?

Google it

TXstbobcat
06-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Meh, this will be forgotten...

I was at the game tonight and sat through the heat with no AC but all I will remember about tonight was the spurs win.

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Google it

Wait now, you made the assertion that the contract they have is giving them them shit loads of advertisement for almost nothing. Surely you're not talking out of your ass.

Biernutz
06-06-2014, 12:18 AM
ATT maintenance crew said the A/C will be repaired and ready to go on Monday morning......

DMX7
06-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Wait now, you made the assertion that the contract they have is giving them them shit loads of advertisement for almost nothing. Surely you're not talking out of your ass.

Don't know how do you own research? Even with something as easy to use as Google just a click away? That's really no surprise -- you don't seem all that bright.

20 Years for $41 Million

Peanuts

http://nbavenueinfo.com/att_center.htm

Horry Hipcheck
06-06-2014, 12:22 AM
AT&T has already had their name attached to a multi-million dollar entity that only marginally performs a function for a large group of people, tbh

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Don't know how do you own research? Even with something as easy to use as Google just a click away? That's really no surprise -- you don't seem all that bright.

20 Years for $41 Million

Peanuts

http://nbavenueinfo.com/att_center.htm

Why do I need to research your claim?

So you think 2 million a year to have your name on the roof of a building in San Antonio is relatively nothing?

PingPong
06-06-2014, 12:27 AM

WTF? Kobe did commit a crime. Rape shatters the image of the athlete. A broken air conditioner? It would be embarrassing if the Spurs sponsor was a air conditioner maker.
Le Bron should be afraid of losing some of his endorsement if the buzz about steroids causing his cramps gets longer. The Armstrong case is still in the air. Brands like Nike wouldn't be pleased about another sponsored athlete gets in a bad buzz.

PingPong
06-06-2014, 12:30 AM

So you think 2 million a year to have your name on the roof of a building in San Antonio is relatively nothing?

With 2 million, you can buy four 30 seconds ads daily in national TV for a month. A single superbowl ad costs twice of that.

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:31 AM
WTF? Kobe did commit a crime. Rape shatters the image of the athlete. A broken air conditioner? It would be embarrassing if the Spurs sponsor was a air conditioner maker.
Le Bron should be afraid of losing some of his endorsement if the buzz about steroids causing his cramps gets longer. The Armstrong case is still in the air. Brands like Nike wouldn't be pleased about another sponsored athlete gets in a bad buzz.

According to the records no crime was committed because she dropped the charges.

Champion AC is a Spurs Sponsor. AT&T pays no more for that building name than American Airlines pays for the Heat's arena.

spurs1990
06-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Worse than anything it puts a damper on our win. Everyone is second guessing the result since the greatest player in the universe couldn't play the 4th quarter.

Pisses me off actually.

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:32 AM
With 2 million, you can buy four 30 seconds ads daily in national TV for a month. A single superbowl ad costs twice of that.

Never saw the AT&T building host a Superbowl.

Skull-1
06-06-2014, 12:35 AM
AT&T has already had their name attached to a multi-million dollar entity that only marginally performs a function for a large group of people, tbh

UVerse, Wireless, or Customer Sevice?

Dex
06-06-2014, 12:35 AM
ATT maintenance crew said the A/C will be repaired and ready to go on Monday morning......

:lol

bigfan
06-06-2014, 12:38 AM
As a Spurs fan living in Dallas it reminded me of the ice storm for the Superbowl at Jerryworld.

DMX7
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM

So that you don't embarrass yourself by implying I'm making this up.

.... More like to have their name on the roof of the building, on various signs throughout the building, in big bold print on the basketball court (twice), and as a reference to the facility said by the announcers many times throughout the game (and before and after). At $2.05M per year, that works out to about $5,600 per day. On a day like today, to reach about 15,000,000 people for almost 3 hours... it was almost free advertisement... chump change and amazingly value for AT&T.

PingPong
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
According to the records no crime was committed because she dropped the charges.

Champion AC is a Spurs Sponsor. AT&T pays no more for that building name than American Airlines pays for the Heat's arena.

What matters to a sponsor is the buzz, what people talk around, not if the victim dropped the charges or not. This is a lawyer's matter.
For the sponsor, the image of the athlete is that matters. Naming rigths of NBA are relatively cheap for the media exposure they get. Not every team gets in the conference finals for three years in a row and NBA finals for two years in a row. For AT&T it's a bargain. If they drop the contract, imediately there will be dozens of companies offering Money to get the naming rights.

DMX7
06-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Also, wanna bet they don't take their name off the building? :lmao

Horry Hipcheck
06-06-2014, 12:41 AM
UVerse, Wireless, or Customer Sevice?

Take your pick, tbh.

moisaenz
06-06-2014, 12:41 AM

till monday??

PingPong
06-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Never saw the AT&T building host a Superbowl.

Well, the price of the naming rights for a superbowl level stadium is hundreds of millions. Football has biggger audience, the values go far higher.

Russ
06-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Next game -- snakes in the Heat's locker room.

:flag:

DMC
06-06-2014, 12:50 AM
So that you don't embarrass yourself by implying I'm making this up.

When you make a claim, it's on you to provide evidence. It's not on me to go looking for it. You should provide it so you don't look like an idiot.

.... More like to have their name on the roof of the building, on various signs throughout the building, in big bold print on the basketball court (twice), and as a reference to the facility said by the announcers many times throughout the game (and before and after). At $2.05M per year, that works out to about $5,600 per day. On a day like today, to reach about 15,000,000 people for almost 3 hours... it was almost free advertisement... chump change and amazingly value for AT&T.
Same deal American Airlines has gotten and they've been in the last 4 Finals (including this one). Having a contract for 20 years that you signed in 2006 and won't expire until 2026 means you'll be hosting a shit ton of lottery bound team games because the big 3 will be long gone well before then. So double your investment money on relevant press and don't pretend 2021 is going to be a banner year for sponsorship in San Antonio. George Strait retiring, Spurs getting old and soon to be done... no football team, just a few shitty concerts now and then.

DMX7
06-06-2014, 01:07 AM
When you make a claim, it's on you to provide evidence.

I see.

Same deal American Airlines has gotten

An assertion, but no support? Not even a link? That's ok, I know how to use Google -- not that this subtracts from my point.

In fact, here's an interesting article from a past Finals that talks about the value of naming rights. It applies similarly to AT&T and the Spurs.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29600286

Having a contract for 20 years that you signed in 2006 and won't expire until 2026 means you'll be hosting a shit ton of lottery bound team games because the big 3 will be long gone well before then. So double your investment money on relevant press and don't pretend 2021 is going to be a banner year for sponsorship in San Antonio. George Strait retiring, Spurs getting old and soon to be done... no football team, just a few shitty concerts now and then.

Actually, they signed it in 2003. SBC signed the contract and merged with AT&T a few years later, then they changed the company name to AT&T.

So basically, the deal has about 9 years left. The Big 3 will play next year, so that's 8 years left... we don't know how good or bad they will be in those last 8 years, but they will have recouped their money long before then. Great investment.

DMX7
06-06-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm curious when AT&T will be taking their name off the building? Today, tomorrow? Maybe they will call an emergency meeting to discuss the possibility of it by Sunday. :lol

ChumpDumper
06-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Odd thread.

dg7md
06-06-2014, 02:36 AM
The Superdome blackout takes precedence

As a Ravens fan I remember this very specifically. :lol I was reminded of it tonight, but it didn't halter any of the action and I felt like it was a mutually-damaging effect that played no favorites unlike a momentum-changing blackout for nearly an hour.

koriwhat
06-06-2014, 02:38 AM
this thread sucks! btw you gave up on the spurs a long time ago so please give up on ST too!

Skull-1
06-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Take your pick, tbh.
:lol

:toast

Touche'.

Skull-1
06-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Odd thread.

^Odd poster.

ChumpDumper
06-06-2014, 03:10 AM
Answer to the OP is no.

heyheymymy
06-06-2014, 03:28 AM
wtf is going on in this thread, a pissing match for who knows the most about naming rights contracts?

heyheymymy
06-06-2014, 03:28 AM
EDIT

Skull-1
06-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Answer to the OP is no.

^ Captain Douche/Obvious.

Tuddy
06-06-2014, 04:59 AM
Do the fans get some of their money back? Surely sitting in ac is part of the package you pay hundreds of dollars for

hsxvvd
06-06-2014, 05:12 AM
Loving the old school approach to this playoffs.... snakes in locker rooms, broken A/C.... very nice.

boutons_deux
06-06-2014, 06:26 AM
If the temp was 90 at court level, what was it up in the Cheap Seats?

will_spurs
06-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Do the fans get some of their money back? Surely sitting in ac is part of the package you pay hundreds of dollars for

Surely they can suck it up and stop whining. They came to see a basketball game, they saw it. And most of them wanted a Spurs win, and they got it. Who cares that it was 90F inside the building?

Captivus
06-06-2014, 06:33 AM
I bet the people selling drinks were happy.

heyheymymy
06-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Loving the old school approach to this playoffs.... snakes in locker rooms, broken A/C.... very nice.

jackie moon'd

Russ
06-06-2014, 07:02 AM
If the temp was 90 at court level, what was it up in the Cheap Seats?

I was there.

No. 1, it was hot.

No. 2, they weren't that cheap.

exstatic
06-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Worse than anything it puts a damper on our win. Everyone is second guessing the result since the greatest player in the universe couldn't play the 4th quarter.

Pisses me off actually.

No one else failed to finish the game. 'They' should be second guessing him.

Hook Dem
06-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Beats anything else on the market!

Hook Dem
06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
You obviously have a hard on for at&t.
It is about on par with their website and customer service, tbqh.

Biernutz
06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I bet the people selling drinks were happy.

Two guys who sat next to me made sure they stayed hydrated by a steady stream of Bud Lights the whole game...
By the end of the game their legs were as wobbly as the Kings but they could walk out without someone carrying them....
That's what good training will do for you,,,,,,,

DMC
06-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I see.

An assertion, but no support? Not even a link? That's ok, I know how to use Google -- not that this subtracts from my point.

If you already have the page opened, it's there in front of you. Otherwise I'd be happy to show you the reference.

In fact, here's an interesting article from a past Finals that talks about the value of naming rights. It applies similarly to AT&T and the Spurs.

The "relatively free" aspect of your post was hyperbole, but to be expected from a lazy rebuttal to a point I was making about marketing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29600286

Actually, they signed it in 2003. SBC signed the contract and merged with AT&T a few years later, then they changed the company name to AT&T.

So 2023, that makes all the difference in the world.

So basically, the deal has about 9 years left. The Big 3 will play next year, so that's 8 years left... we don't know how good or bad they will be in those last 8 years, but they will have recouped their money long before then. Great investment.
They could go on a 8 peat

Skull-1
06-06-2014, 03:36 PM
You obviously have a hard on for at&t.

Yep. They suck.

Budkin
06-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Pisses me off actually.

Only Lebron nuthuggers are "second guessing" us. Most of the country is ripping LeBron to shreds for being a pussy.

EVAY
06-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Bingo!! And it was a sunk costs years ago when SBC wanted to name the building so that their then-competitor, AT&T, wouldn't get the naming rights.

When SBC bought AT&T and took their name, the name of the arena was changed as well. They don't own the building.

EVAY
06-06-2014, 04:58 PM
No one else failed to finish the game. 'They' should be second guessing him.

THANK YOU!!!!!!