PDA

View Full Version : why is pop so hard on kawhi Leonard and Danny Green?

apalisoc_9
06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
- kawhi got his third foul in the 3rd quarter and pop immediately subs him..happened against okc too.

- Him being Hard on Danny is no story..

why doesn't belli get the same treatment?

DarrinS
06-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Because he has high expectations of starters.

peacemaker885
06-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Because Beli wont be here next season.

ginobilized
06-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Leonard and Green have earned the right to be aggressively coached by Pop.

cd98
06-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Because he was hard on Parker and look how he turned out.

cd021
06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Because he was hard on Parker and look how he turned out.

Goood point

Jenks
06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
- kawhi got his third foul in the 3rd quarter and pop immediately subs him..happened against okc too.
Managing a player in foul trouble isn't some sort of punishment. Kawhi happens to have the most critical job this series. There's no way in fuck Pop leaves him in to pick up a 4th foul 2 minutes into the second half.

jon123spurs
06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Because they're american.

dg7md
06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Because he has high expectations of starters.

This. And they're young, in this disciplined system, being put through the grind is part of the process of becoming a perennial Spur.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-06-2014, 10:14 PM
He doesn't want them out there playing defense like they aren't trying to pick up a fourth. Especially against the likes of a Lebron or Durant, who are experts at drawing whistles and would start attacking the hell out of a tentative defender, making #4 all the more likely.

DMC
06-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Marco is who he is. Pop isn't going to change that and he knows it. Leonard is a ball of raw potential that Pop absolutely loves to coach, and Danny has moments where you don't understand why he was ever cut to begin with, and moments when you don't understand how he was ever resigned. Pop hopes he can get more of one, less of the other, and that it might lead to good things because Danny and Kawhi can change the entire game since they are the bulk of the Spurs perimeter defense. Marco just gives you offense when the other team is sagging off him (regular season). Marco is basically Matt Bonner without the size and with better handles (though Matt rarely turns the ball over).

Prime Time
06-06-2014, 10:28 PM
To be fair, I'd imagine Green being the most 'cocky' out of all the players. IIRC, the Spurs cut him a couple of years back because they didn't like his attitude. He's made strides since, including saying typical Spursy-things like "We help each other out", "We need to take good shots", "I'm trying to help the team however I can."

But you can tell from his small smirks after making threes / short spurts of trash-talking that if it wasn't for the Spurs - the dude would be pretty showy. For crying out loud, he used to dance before games lol. Maybe that's why Pop is so hard on him?

As for Kawhi.. Pop is doing him a favor by being hard on him. I guarantee that if he got the Paul George treatment (to where it's okay to chuck whatever you want, you're our future star.) Kawhi would probably be a different player mentally. Pop is challenging him to play better, nothing wrong with that considering his age. I'd love for a prime Kawhi to have the mind-set of Duncan with the motivation of Parker.

But dude, minute-managing is just Basketball 101. Would you prefer Kawhi to have 3-4 fouls by half time?

tmtcsc
06-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Maybe because they've been here at least 3 years and should know better by now.

rasuo214
06-06-2014, 11:03 PM
He probably values Green and Kawhi more than Marco. If Marco fouls out it isn't really a big loss vs if Green or Kawhi foul out that puts a lot more pressure on Manu or Diaw to fill in. Plus it wasn't really a bad thing because of the heat it allowed both of them to be fresh going into the 4th and they finally made some shots.

ducks
06-06-2014, 11:05 PM
because he wanted him to have fouls to burn in 4 quarter against james

spursparker9
06-06-2014, 11:15 PM
To be fair, I'd imagine Green being the most 'cocky' out of all the players. IIRC, the Spurs cut him a couple of years back because they didn't like his attitude. He's made strides since, including saying typical Spursy-things like "We help each other out", "We need to take good shots", "I'm trying to help the team however I can."

But you can tell from his small smirks after making threes / short spurts of trash-talking that if it wasn't for the Spurs - the dude would be pretty showy. For crying out loud, he used to dance before games lol. Maybe that's why Pop is so hard on him?

As for Kawhi.. Pop is doing him a favor by being hard on him. I guarantee that if he got the Paul George treatment (to where it's okay to chuck whatever you want, you're our future star.) Kawhi would probably be a different player mentally. Pop is challenging him to play better, nothing wrong with that considering his age. I'd love for a prime Kawhi to have the mind-set of Duncan with the motivation of Parker.

But dude, minute-managing is just Basketball 101. Would you prefer Kawhi to have 3-4 fouls by half time?

:lol Danny, Lebron and the cavs dancing before the game was epic :lol

SupremeGuy
06-06-2014, 11:18 PM
He's hard on Leonard because he's young and you sharpen steel with steel(I think lol I'm kind of drunk). Leonard has a pretty high ceiling in my opinion and Pop wants to see him realize that potential.

spursparker9
06-06-2014, 11:28 PM

:lmao

Beaverfuzz
06-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Demand perfection, don't expect anything less.

Shabazz
06-06-2014, 11:39 PM
That is just how Pop rolls. He was hard on Tony because he expected great things from him. It is the same with Green and Leonard.

It is also partially because of their age. He really gets into his young starters, and always has.

TheGreatYacht
06-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Pop with the Green CONFIDENCE KILLER...

"If he isn't making shots, there's no reason for him to be out there. [wipes sweat] And that's the god honest truth

silverblk mystix
06-07-2014, 12:29 AM
All of the above and no one with any truth....

answer;

because pop is a prick who plays favorites

nah just kidding

spurraider21
06-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Marco is who he is. Pop isn't going to change that and he knows it. Leonard is a ball of raw potential that Pop absolutely loves to coach, and Danny has moments where you don't understand why he was ever cut to begin with, and moments when you don't understand how he was ever resigned. Pop hopes he can get more of one, less of the other, and that it might lead to good things because Danny and Kawhi can change the entire game since they are the bulk of the Spurs perimeter defense. Marco just gives you offense when the other team is sagging off him (regular season). Marco is basically Matt Bonner without the size and with better handles (though Matt rarely turns the ball over).
Damn, well put :tu

Chinook
06-07-2014, 01:26 AM

I get that vibe from Green as well. I think Green will end up being a completely different player than he is now after this era is over -- whether he's with the Spurs or with another team. He's pretty much been kept in check his whole career by playing on teams with at least two future HoFers. I don't think he's an Eric Young--type of player or anything, but I do think he's barely containing his ego. If he leaves the Spurs in 2015, it would likely be to a team that sees him as a potential missing piece (in the vet with a championship pedigree way, not the complimentary star way). He's not going to be the whipping boy again. I don't think Danny would let a player like Kyrie Irving yell at him like he lets Parker, for example.

I think Pop knows Green is probably the best glue-guy in the league. Playing that role consistently well requires a certain amount of humility and focus. He may feel that too much praise (even though it's deserved) could get him out of that mentality, which is neither good for the Spurs or Green, honestly. One could argue that Green's press conferences and panel interviews during the Finals last year did as much to disrupt his rhythm as any other factors outside of Miami's defense. Hopefully, Green continues to grow to the point that he can play the way he needs to without being managed.

davidbowie
06-07-2014, 01:28 AM
the camera was right on them when he was chewing out danny last game. kinda felt for him

Chinook
06-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Also, Pop absolutely adores Leonard. He's not hard on Kawhi at all. I think Pop still misuses him to an extent, but I don't think that has anything to do with him pushing Kawhi.

Malik Hairston
06-07-2014, 01:48 AM
I agree with Prime Time's post, tbh, based on Green's history, and based on Pop's "get over yourself" philosophy with players that enter his system..

I could imagine Tony having the same cocky traits when he entered the league, as he was already playing professional ball in Europe, and just knowing TP's confident nature..

I'm not really sure why Pop was so hard on Splitter, though, maybe he just didn't like him:lol..

Spursfanfromafar
06-07-2014, 02:26 AM
Lol. at all the psychoanalysts here.

Green was cut early in his career not due to his attitude or anything remotely related to that. He just wasn't the same player who we are watching today.

Pop has given Green a lot of confidence to shoot when the opportunity presents itself (so too with Patty) and his learning the system, the cuts, when to gamble, when to stay close etc, has made him a much better player than when he started.

Kawhi, Green get the same equal treatment as anybody else except maybe Manu & Duncan (who too get their share of the screams more than any other superstars in the league).

Skull-1
06-07-2014, 02:31 AM

- Him being Hard on Danny is no story..

why doesn't belli get the same treatment?

Like it was in the Marines. Be more afraid of the DI than the enemy.

Chinook
06-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Lol. at all the psychoanalysts here.

Green was cut early in his career not due to his attitude or anything remotely related to that. He just wasn't the same player who we are watching today.

Pop has given Green a lot of confidence to shoot when the opportunity presents itself (so too with Patty) and his learning the system, the cuts, when to gamble, when to stay close etc, has made him a much better player than when he started.

Kawhi, Green get the same equal treatment as anybody else except maybe Manu & Duncan (who too get their share of the screams more than any other superstars in the league).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2013/06/17/nba-finals-miami-heat-vs-san-antonio-spurs-danny-green/2432815/

Williams played a part in Green's return to San Antonio, too, imploring Popovich to not give up on the player who averaged 13.1 points per game and shot 41.8% from beyond the arc in his senior season with the Tar Heels."When Pop and I talked for the first time after cutting him ... Pop said, 'He is here in practice and he is acting like he is doing us a favor by being here,' " Williams told USA TODAY Sports. "So it's a little bit of an attitude thing. When you are brought up on a 10-day contract, you had better do everything you can at every second to impress those people, because a 10-day contract is exactly what it sounds like.
"We had a talk and we did get into the basketball stuff. It was not that Danny had an attitude, it was just that Danny was not working and doing the things he needed to do. We had a great talk about it, he handled it really well. And when he got that other chance after those conversations, then there was nothing Pop or anyone on his staff could say because then Danny was (as dedicated as) he was with me."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/north-babylon-s-danny-green-had-long-winding-road-to-being-spurs-starter-1.5438675

Green remembers the conversations and how it changed him.
"The biggest thing was an attitude of being too cool, be more urgent, have more of a sense of urgency," Green said. "That was something I took note of and took it into account and tried to change that up myself. Not at any moment have any type of slack or be, Pop likes to use the term floating. So not be in a float type of mode, but be intense and aggressive every possession of the game."

I guess you weren't reading all the Green features that were coming out during the Finals last year. The story is pretty well known. Essentially Green thought he was too good to be in position he was in (or rather, he didn't really take seriously the amount of work even a 15th man has to put in succeed). That didn't sit well with Pop. So the Spurs cut him. Danny knew that the Spurs were the perfect team for him, so he asked his old college coach Roy Williams for advice. Williams talked to Pop, then told Green what he needed to do. Green then left a voice mail to Pop asking for another chance.

You can tell by the way Pop coaches Green that those initial impressions of Danny still come into play. He constantly tears into Green to make sure Danny stays on the right path. Green isn't some bad seed or anything. He comes from a strong household in the New York suburbs. He does the right things and is a good teammate. But he has a tendency to get caught up in the moments and lose focus.

The way Green is coached by Pop is unique, meaning that Danny accepts Pop's style of coaching because he believes in and respects Pop. The same goes for Parker and the other members the Big Three. But there's no way he'd be okay with entitled brats like Irving or Stephenson pulling that.

emanueldavidginobili
06-07-2014, 05:11 AM
If you've ever played sports it's a good thing when your coach is hard on you...it means they care

hsxvvd
06-07-2014, 05:41 AM
He's hard on everyone.

Raven
06-07-2014, 06:03 AM
:lol Danny, Lebron and the cavs dancing before the game was epic :lol

i still don't understand what was wrong with that tbh

hooperflash
06-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Hard Popo-Rick?

spursparker9
06-07-2014, 06:20 AM
i still don't understand what was wrong with that tbh

Nothing wrong for me. It was entertaining :lol

JohnnyMax
06-07-2014, 06:56 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/929/023/2013-06-2114_23_50_original.gif

buttsR4rebounding
06-07-2014, 09:58 AM

He knows it is a 48 minute game. He needs Kawhi to be able to play aggressive defense when it counts. With 3 in the 3rd quarter you know a 4th puts you on the bench for sure, so you are naturally more hesitant.

4down
06-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Because he needs them to be scottie puppet and Michael cooper.

showtime spurs, tbh.

therealtruth
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Pop with the Green CONFIDENCE KILLER...

"If he isn't making shots, there's no reason for him to be out there. [wipes sweat] And that's the god honest truth

It's not like he's arguably our best perimeter defender.

ducks
06-07-2014, 10:21 PM
he is harder on starters then bench listen to interview

TheyCallMePro
06-07-2014, 10:52 PM

This. Pop even said foreign players are tougher.

spursparker9
06-08-2014, 12:57 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/929/023/2013-06-2114_23_50_original.gif

:rollin:rollin:rollin

spursparker9
06-08-2014, 12:58 AM
he is harder on starters then bench listen to interview

TheGreatYacht
06-08-2014, 01:22 AM
#FreeDanny #FreeKawhi

Man In Black
06-08-2014, 01:28 AM
because he wanted him to have fouls to burn in 4 quarter against james

Ducks...voice of reason?

Fucking Bizarro World.

Oh and OP...get off your knees and quit dickriding. All that matters is that the Spurs fucking win.

I think the world of Kawhi, been watching him longer than most of you since he played here, where I live, while at SDSU...but c'mon now...refs control the game, if he picks up a BS call against Miami early in the 3rd, how strong will he be able to defend the Prince Cramp Boy?

Get a grip.

z0sa
06-08-2014, 05:46 AM
It probably has something to do with it being the Finals and shit. Maybe more specifically the fact theyre going head to head with a GOAT candidate. Theyre both kind of important pieces on offense too. It's almost like Pop is... whats the word Im looking for... hmmm..

ah yes, coaching! Hes coaching out there. His job. Something he won coach of the year for a few times. Its a pretty interesting concept in many ways, and its applications stretch far beyond the sports realm. Sometimes it doesnt make sense to an outside perspective, admittedly, but results are results.

TampaDude
06-08-2014, 06:19 AM
It probably has something to do with it being the Finals and shit. Maybe more specifically the fact theyre going head to head with a GOAT candidate. Theyre both kind of important pieces on offense too. It's almost like Pop is... whats the word Im looking for... hmmm..

ah yes, coaching! Hes coaching out there. His job. Something he won coach of the year for a few times. Its a pretty interesting concept in many ways, and its applications stretch far beyond the sports realm. Sometimes it doesnt make sense to an outside perspective, admittedly, but results are results.

Precisely.