PDA

View Full Version : Backup point guard

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Brunson, who set career highs in minutes (24.3), points (5.5), and assists (5.1) per game with the Los Angeles Clippers last season, turned down overtures from the Clippers, the Portland Trail Blazers, and the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs to sign with Seattle, where he will back up starting point guard Luke Ridnour.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2005/08/14/job_security_lures_brunson_to_seattle/

I found it very interesting that the Spurs were considering Brunson before he signed with Seattle. This leads me to believe that they will definitely be looking to sign another backup point.

Who do you guys think it will be? I think Van Exel would be ideal if he comes cheap.

G-Nob
08-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Would Earl Watson be too expensive?

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Would Earl Watson be too expensive?

Yes. I think he wants close to the MLE.

Rynospursfan
08-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah the Spurs will pick up a 3rd string point guard for sure. I'm just glad it wasn't Brunson, he is terrible. Sure he was a little better last year but had the Slips not had so many injury problems at point he would have gotten very little PT.

Not sure who the Spurs will go and get, I doubt it will be a big name though.

G-Nob
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
I'd really like Van Exel too, however I think he's a given to sign with Houston. I know they've lost confidence in Beno, I just don't think they need to give up on him just yet. He has such a sweet touch and I think with a little more experience, he could really be something special.

boutons
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
"I know they've lost confidence in Beno"

how do you know that?

ZStomp
08-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Van Excel would rock for a cheap price!

And then we could stick it to the Mavs once again...for him. :lol

AFE7FATMAN
08-15-2005, 01:15 AM
What about Marcus Brown from CSKA Moscow

Archives > Marcus Brown Weighs Offers From Three NBA Teams
Marcus Brown Weighs Offers From Three NBA Teams
1st August, 2005 - 11:17 pm
DraftExpress - Jonathan Givony from DraftExpress.com is reporting that CSKA Moscow guard Marcus Brown is seriously considering three different contract offers he has been made from NBA teams this summer.

Brown, a 6-3 extremely athletic combo guard who has had stints with both the Portland Trailblazers and Detroit Pistons in 1997 and 2000, was the highest paid player in Europe last year playing for Euroleague Final Four participants CSKA Moscow.

He has offers from the Cleveland Cavaliers , San Antonio Spurs and Seattle Supersonics , and is expected to make a decision within the next week regarding where to sign.

Givony spoke with Brown’s agent, Craig McKenzie and confirmed that these offers are indeed on the table.

According to various media reports in Europe, Brown also has contract offers from Hapoel Jerusalem in Israel and Ulker in Turkey in excess of 1.5 million dollars net. McKenzie confirmed that those teams are indeed interested, and although the reported numbers are close, he believes Brown can do better than that.

The holdup appears to be whether or not Brown can garner a contract offer for more than the NBA minimum and/or also receive the job security of an additional guaranteed year from one of those interested teams. If not, Brown will most likely return to Europe and reclaim his place as one of the highest paid players in the world outside of the NBA.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36857/20050801/marcus_brown_weighs_offers_from_three_nba_teams/

Mr. Body
08-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Brunson may not have been that high on the list. Who knows? He turned down 'overtures' from the Spurs, whatever those happened to be.

I'd be surprised to see Van Exel as a Spur, simply because he'll play and contribute a lot more to Houston.

spurster
08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't think the Spurs have lost confidence in Beno, but realize that he is a young PG who will likely take time to develop. The Spurs need a steady, vet PG to complement Parker and Beno.

Solid D
08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
What about Marcus Brown from CSKA Moscow

It was reported earlier that Marcus Brown had agreed to a 1-yr. deal to play in Istanbul with Ulker. He's really a scoring guard, as opposed to a PG.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Brunson would've been nice as a 3rd point.

Kip Fanatic
08-15-2005, 08:58 AM
I think that NVE would be great as a backup to Tony. He can shoot lights out when he gets hot. He likes to play under pressure, which we all know the two points we have now can't seem to handle it.

AFE7FATMAN
08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
It was reported earlier that Marcus Brown had agreed to a 1-yr. deal to play in Istanbul with Ulker. He's really a scoring guard, as opposed to a PG.

Thanks SD

Rescueone
08-15-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd go with Nick Van Excel, or Justin Hamilton. A big no to finley!

Solid D
08-15-2005, 09:26 AM
As a third PG, Darrell Armstrong, would bring maturity and experience, plus he's a good locker room guy. He's an UFA.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 09:34 AM
As a third PG, Darrell Armstrong, would bring maturity and experience, plus he's a good locker room guy. He's an UFA.

Great idea. But beware, he was not an All-Star last season, so someone will complain.

Solid D
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
You can't find a better guy in the room than Darrell and he can play a nice role and really perform when he's needed.

I remember in game 7 against Houston, Darrell came in and went 4-4 and really defended well and made a difference. Here is a something from the game recap on Darrell...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nba.com/games/20050507/HOUDAL/recap.html

"Defensively this was the performance I was looking for the whole series," Johnson said. "It was right on time." One of Johnson's key moves was to go to veteran Darrell Armstrong, who had played a total of 11 minutes in the first six games.

Stil quick at 36, Armstrong was called on to guard Mike James, who had provided the Mavericks headaches throughout the series. Armstrong helped hold James to just four points, 18 fewer than he had in Game Six. James also was ejected late in the third quarter after picking up two technical fouls.

"I felt good to be able to contribute the way I did tonight," Armstrong said. "I knew I was going to get the call tonight because of Mike James. Avery wanted to match me up against Mike James. It just worked out for the best."

"Give credit to a guy like Darrell Armstrong who hadn't played much all series," Terry said. "He comes in and frustrates the heck out of Mike James."

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, Armstrong strikes me as the kind of guy who would handle spending a lot of time on IR quite well. No drama there.

Solid D
08-15-2005, 11:20 AM
He's still a 12th man, though. Playoff roster.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
He's still a 12th man, though. Playoff roster.

True.

mcdunk
08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Van Exel then Armstrong both would be a nice addition to the Spurs roster.

boutons
08-15-2005, 11:28 AM
NVE is known as bitcher, whiner, asshole, and has been injured a lot in the last 2 years. can he play defense? he sure ain't needed to score.

Armstrong would be preferable since he seems to play defense and hustle, and able to bringing the ball up and starting the offense.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 11:32 AM
If NVE wants to be a Spur for the most they have left, sign him and ask questions later.

Spurminator
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Armstrong is fast and can solve the problems we had against the press with Tony out of the game. That said, can we find that in a different player who isn't so inept at shooting?

SpursFanInAustin
08-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I would love to have Darrell Armstrong at the 3rd point. Despite being 36 or 37, he still has a little quickness to drive to the basket, can shoot the wide open 3, and can really get after it on D. Although he cannot play a lot of minutes cause his body would break down. This kinda would remind me when the Spurs signed Porter as insurance for AD in 1999 after the Spurs won the title.

angel_luv
08-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't think the Spurs have lost confidence in Beno, but realize that he is a young PG who will likely take time to develop. The Spurs need a steady, vet PG to complement Parker and Beno.

So what kind of minutes will the new PG get? And would adding another guy leave Beno enough playing time to be able to develop and improve?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 11:41 AM
The kind of minutes a 3rd point guard would get: slim to none, at least in the regular season.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
My real hope is that since Earl Watson missed out on being signed several places, he'll decide that money isn't important and sign with S.A. for the rest of the MLE. [/impossible dream]

angel_luv
08-15-2005, 11:47 AM
The kind of minutes a 3rd point guard would get: slim to none, at least in the regular season.

That's what I thought. So if the Spurs bring in a veteran do they trade Beno or keep him for emergencies?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Armstrong would not replace Beno. Neither would have Brunson.

2centsworth
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Let Barry play backup point until next year when speedy becomes available.

Also, at the end of tight ball games it doesn't matter who the point guard is because Manu has the ball 90% of the time.

T Park
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
That said, can we find that in a different player who isn't so inept at shooting?

Darrell Armstrong is inept at shooting!?!?!

Wow......

T Park
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
My real hope is that since Earl Watson missed out on being signed several places, he'll decide that money isn't important and sign with S.A. for the rest of the MLE

If the Spurs sign Watson, wich I agree will be impossible.

Then they would have to trade Beno.

Watson aint old, hes still pretty young, so youd be looking at the Parker Watson combo and Beno would be on the outside lookin in.

picnroll
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
My real hope is that since Earl Watson missed out on being signed several places, he'll decide that money isn't important and sign with S.A. for the rest of the MLE. [/impossible dream]
That's my impossible dream too. Backup PG has been a chronic Spurs problem dating back to at least 01-02. Only decent and temporary solution was Speedy. It would be nice to solve this problem.

Spurminator
08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Darrell Armstrong is inept at shooting!?!?!

Yes.

Supergirl
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Spurs need a 3rd PG because Tony is playing over the summer, so wil invariably tire out by midseason, and Beno is still very green. They need a PG who can play minimal to no minutes most of the time, but who can fill in in a pinch.

My question is, what's up with Mike Wilks? He seemed to fill this role OK, and I haven't heard him getting a lot of other looks.

Solid D
08-15-2005, 04:58 PM
So much for the Darrell Armstrong idea. He just re-upped with Dallas this afternoon.

picnroll
08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Rather have Van Exel. (fingers crossed)

Samr
08-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Alex Garcia. Now. End of debate.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 05:54 PM

Is he healthy?

marcus
08-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Rather have Van Exel. (fingers crossed)

There is something else good about Van Exel, he can play also the shooting guard position as he used to for instance with Dallas.
I like Van Exel for the Spurs because he is one of those player who can start and do big things but can also be a super-sub.

Samr
08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Kori- last I heard he has recovered perfectly from his surgury. You might want to ask Grande, though, as he would know better than I.

But DAMN I love that kid.

picnroll
08-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Is he healthy?

Yes. He was playing in something called the Electrobras games. There's a thread on RealGM that discuss it and him.

link (http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=406893)

SequSpur
08-15-2005, 06:29 PM

ET phone home.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes. He was playing in something called the Electrobras games. There's a thread on RealGM that discuss it and him.

link (http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=406893)

Oh, that's the Copa International Tournament that Brazil just won. I didn't realize he was playing for them. They dominated the tournament and are expected to win the World Championship Qualifiers in the Dominican Republic which starts on the 24th.

ManuTastic
08-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Nick the quick would rock. As another name, how about Fred Hoiberg? He just got amnesty-waived so would likely be available for cheap. Experienced (OK, on a lousy team) and a solid shooter, right?

cecil collins
08-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I want them to add Darren Brooks, and make him the 3rd pg. With some development, he'd fit right in to the Spurs system. He was the MVC player of the year/Defensive player of the year each of the last 2 years. The Mavericks cut him a couple of weeks ago.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-16-2005, 10:25 PM
We dont need a back up PG. We have Barry and Manu who can also handle the point. For goodness sakes. Our need now is the 3. We need to get a solid backup for Bowen. And that guy is McKie. Not Finley. Not NVE. Please and no Demarr Johnson.

marcus
08-17-2005, 12:31 AM
I believe Andre Barret from the rookie camp can also be considered to be a 3rd backup. He is young and fast and already has nba experience.

CaptainLate
08-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Oh, that's the Copa International Tournament that Brazil just won. I didn't realize he was playing for them. They dominated the tournament and are expected to win the World Championship Qualifiers in the Dominican Republic which starts on the 24th.

But you have the same problem as Beans -- young and inexperienced. Let Barry and Manu handle the ball after TP and Beans. We'll be fine.

marcus
08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
But you have the same problem as Beans -- young and inexperienced. Let Barry and Manu handle the ball after TP and Beans. We'll be fine.

Yeah, that would be the best although we should sign the best pg available that can be added for the minimum just in case.

spurster
08-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, with Barry and Manu, another PG is hardly a desperate need for the Spurs. But the Spurs need to fill out the roster, and a vet PG would be very useful when TP is tired, Beno gets the jitters, and/or in case of injuries.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Yes, with Barry and Manu, another PG is hardly a desperate need for the Spurs. But the Spurs need to fill out the roster, and a vet PG would be very useful when TP is tired, Beno gets the jitters, and/or in case of injuries.

Yes, the Spurs definitely need a 3rd point, someone who will ride IR for most of the season. Now, if a NVE would want to join the team for what the Spurs have left in cap room, sure, you sign him on. But I don't see the point as a position of major concern.

wildbill2u
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2005/08/14/job_security_lures_brunson_to_seattle/

I found it very interesting that the Spurs were considering Brunson before he signed with Seattle. This leads me to believe that they will definitely be looking to sign another backup point.

Who do you guys think it will be? I think Van Exel would be ideal if he comes cheap.

Since Barry also has the ability to play some PG, do you think the Spurs are looking to relegate Beno to 3rd or 4th PG if they get someone like NVE or Brunson? Or are they looking for a 3rd or 4th guard to sit on the bench.

Solid D
08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Nobody should be using "desperate need" and "3rd PG" in the same sentence. :lol

Brent isn't a backup PG on the depth chart. He doesn't defend PGs. Please, enough already.

blp2112
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
How about this guy as the third PG...Jay Williams, the former Bulls guard that was in a motorcycle accident? The Bulls don't need him anymore and apparently he has recovered quite well. I snagged the following article from Jay's blog site on NBA.com.

"Hello again everyone. Sorry that my blog responsibilities have recently taken a back seat to my comeback efforts. As you know, I've been basically living at Hoops gym in Chicago working out every day with Tim Grover. Yesterday was a big step for me. Media was invited to watch me work out and see what I can do. I'm at such a great place health wise that I don't anything to hide. They watched me do various drills --- shooting, dribbling, running, cutting -- basically what I have been doing every day for the last few months.
Come October, I'll be ready for an NBA training camp. Apparently, there are about 6-8 teams that have inquired about me according to my agents, Kevin Bradbury and Bill Duffy. But I've specifically asked them not to tell who they are because I just want to stay on the straight path and not worry about anything else. I want to keep my concern on the court and on my physical condition.
By the end of this month, which is right around the corner, I'll be working out for some of those teams. So I'll find out soon enough. A lot of people ask me, especially here in Chicago, if I would like to rejoin the Bulls. Of course. I would love to play in Chicago. Since I was 11, watching the great Bulls teams featuring Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, it's been a dream of mine to play here and I was fortunate to do so my rookie season. But right now, the Bulls are pretty deep in the backcourt with Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon and Kirk Hinrich. I don't know if there is a fit for me or not. It would be great if there was but we'll have to wait and see.
Even though I'm ready, the challenge when I step foot on the court is really from a mental standpoint and that is to not think about my left leg, which means not playing cautious. Once you've been injured for so long, you go out into the game thinking, 'OK, I have to be careful, I don't want to do this or that.' The only way to beat it is by playing with a reckless attitude where you have to forget about the injury and just go out there and play your game and not be afraid of getting hurt again."

Posted by Jason Williams - Jul 22 2005 8:19AM

spur219
08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Jason Williams could be good if he is healthy

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Jason Williams could be good if he is healthy

JAY Williams not Jason Williams.

Solid D
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
You are both correct. He goes by Jay to distinguish himself from the other Jasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Williams

Jay Williams
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
For other persons named Jay Williams, see Jay Williams (disambiguation).

Jay Williams (born September 10, 1981) is a basketball player, formerly of the NBA's Chicago Bulls. His name is actually Jason Williams, and he called himself this through his college career. However, upon joining the NBA, he asked to be known as Jay Williams in order to avoid confusion with Jason Williams of the Memphis Grizzlies and with Jayson Williams.

Standing 6'2" (188 cm), Williams is a point guard. He grew up in New Jersey, attending high school at St. Joseph's in Metuchen graduating in 1999. There, he not only excelled at basketball, but took up an active interest in other activities, most notably chess. In college, he was a star player for Duke University. After his junior year with Duke, he became the sought-after American player in the 2002 NBA draft. He was selected by the Chicago Bulls with the second overall pick, following only Yao Ming, who was taken by the Houston Rockets.

Williams was a starter in the Bulls line-up for most of the 2002-2003 NBA season. Although his performance was inconsistent and he competed for playing time against guard Jamal Crawford, he showed signs of promise including posting a triple-double in a win over the New Jersey Nets. However, his professional career ended -- perhaps temporarily -- on June 19, 2003, when he crashed his motorcycle at the intersection of Fletcher and Honore in Chicago. Williams suffered serious injuries to his pelvis and left knee and required physical therapy to regain the use of his leg. As of 2005, it is not clear whether he will be able to return to the NBA, although he continues to train toward that goal.

T Park
08-17-2005, 10:08 PM
i wondered about him,

IMO, worth a 2 year contract as the third PG.

Put him on IR, let him develop, and if hes got game, could be a tradeable commodity, or could make Beno a tradeable commodity.

Dos
08-17-2005, 11:01 PM
is tyron lue still available...?

cecil collins
08-18-2005, 10:08 AM
I think Jay Williams is more 2nd PG material, and from what I've read he has some suitors. Tyronne Lue would also be too good for 3rd.

AFE7FATMAN
09-03-2005, 06:04 AM
In light of NVE now a SPUR this is a very interesting thread

Who gets quoted first if he is a sucess or a failure. :lol