PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe: The Beauty of the Matchup

ElNono
06-08-2014, 01:16 AM
The most thrilling mano-a-mano moment in the NBA is when LeBron puts his head down and attacks Roy Hibbert at the rim. It’s an electric clash, one the entire arena can see coming a beat or two before it happens, and one LeBron grew more comfortable initiating this season.

But the most thrilling team-versus-team battle in basketball is the Spurs’ gorgeous whirring offense against the Heat’s frantic defense. You can spout off an all-caps rant about cramps without bothering to learn any of the science, and it was just sad to see the world’s best player removed from what should have been an epic Game 1 of an epic series, but there was a basketball game, and the focus here will be on basketball.

San Antonio’s first two playoff opponents, Dallas and Portland, were overmatched, and they responded by playing an ultraconservative scheme, sticking like glue to the Spurs’ perimeter shooters and conceding the middle of the floor.

The Thunder have the athletes to hit first against San Antonio, but they’re a less polished version of Miami, and Serge Ibaka’s injury derailed the early part of that series.

Miami isn’t as hyperactive and trappy as it once was, but even its dialed-back scheme is aggressive by the NBA’s general standards. As fancy as the Spurs’ offense looks, it’s really just a well-choreographed series of different types of pick-and-rolls — standard high pick-and-rolls in the middle, sideline plays, and various high-flying dribble handoff jobs for Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Read more:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-finals-game-1-the-beauty-of-the-matchup/

BillMc
06-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I always like Zach Lowe's Analysis.

Brazil
06-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I think it's a repost but breakdown is indeed nice

Chinook
06-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Didn't really like that article at all. The clips were nice, but the analysis was off.

Proxy
06-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Didn't really like that article at all. The clips were nice, but the analysis was off.

what was off?

ElNono
06-08-2014, 05:03 PM
what was off?

:lol tbh, the piece has some nuggets I figured Chinook wouldn't necessarily like... such as:

I liked Miami shifting Norris Cole onto Ginobili early in the fourth quarter, when Green was out there as a spot to hide Allen.

or

The Spurs’ most-used lineup in Game 1 was the one I featured in my preview: Parker, Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, Diaw, and Duncan. That group outscored the Heat by 22 points in just eight minutes, and Gregg Popovich will likely use it more going forward

Chinook
06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
what was off?

I lauded Spo's decision to hide Allen on Green in the fourth. He considered Leonard a good transition defender.

Chinook
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
:lol tbh, the piece has some nuggets I figured Chinook wouldn't necessarily like... such as:

I liked Miami shifting Norris Cole onto Ginobili early in the fourth quarter, when Green was out there as a spot to hide Allen.

or

The Spurs’ most-used lineup in Game 1 was the one I featured in my preview: Parker, Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, Diaw, and Duncan. That group outscored the Heat by 22 points in just eight minutes, and Gregg Popovich will likely use it more going forward

The first one, yes, seeing as Allen got burned.

The second one was true, so I can't argue it. It was probably slightly misleading, though.