PDA

View Full Version : Is Belinelli the worst defender in the Duncan era, tbh?..

Malik Hairston
06-08-2014, 10:07 PM
He has the worst on/off numbers of any Spurs player in the playoffs, and so far in the Finals, he's -18, despite the Spurs team being +13 for the series:lol..

I have never seen a Spurs player so clueless on defense..if you re-watch the game, he actually left James Jones wide open twice, too, but luckily he missed..Wade's eyes light up when Belinelli checks in:lol..

His RAPM numbers have always been shitty, and his defensive reputation was already terrible, prior to joining the Spurs..

Is he worse than Neal? Post-prime Finley? Roger Mason? Blair?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah, he kinda is. He played too much tonight for sure.

xtremesteven33
06-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Players know who the worst defenders are on the opposing teams and great teams attack them. Marco and Bonner get it the worst.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
I don't know man... I still think Neal is worse Malik Hairston...

Thing is, Neal had huge balls.. Belinelli's shrink when he gets the ball..

Raven
yes yes and YES.

$pursDynasty
YES!!!

Malik Hairston
Gary took charges, at least IIRC..

spurraider21
he's terribad. i understand giving him minutes if he's contributing on offense, but the guy has been cold all playoffs and isn't going to thrive against Miami's perimeter D

timtonymanu
06-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Definitely. Neal could at least draw the occasional charge that were momentum changers.

Belinelli does nothing valuable on defense and he's not even being a spark on offense that you could afford to play him.

100%duncan
06-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Neal makes up for it by making big shots tbh. Both of them were bad.

myhc
06-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow, never thought I'd say it but I miss Neal right now. He took charges every now and then.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Blair was worse. A terrible perimeter defender is never going to be as bad as a big man who plays terrible defense.

objective
06-08-2014, 10:13 PM
He is the WORST.

There is no reason he's playing other than bad coaching. Not fouls. Not refs. Bad coaching.

As terrible as pop had been these finals a lot of the blame goes on RC.

he had one damn job: add a player who could play some minutes in a finals game and not hurt the team at the very least.

It's a damn disgrace.

objective
06-08-2014, 10:15 PM
And I don't know if there's ever been a spur who looked like he quit on every screen quite like Marco.

Baam
06-08-2014, 10:16 PM
It's tragic tbh, we're playing a long rotation and the bench is supposed to be our advantage but with the bench comes Beli who is a plus minus a black hole thus basically destroying any edge in depth...

$pursDynasty
06-08-2014, 10:17 PM
some on ST blasted Blair and Neal, and some Bonner for valid reasons but my two LEAST favorite Spurs of the modern era are Belli and Richard Jefferson. Insert Mike Singletary coaching rant here. Can't win with em.

timtonymanu
06-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Wasting the offseason on Belinelli/Errors. :lol

06-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't know man... I still think Neal is worse Malik Hairston (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18403)...

TDfan2007
06-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Danny Ferry says hi

Johnny RIngo
06-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Really wondering what compelled them to sign this piece of shit. Got to be the worst MLE signing in Spur history. Most teams reload for a championship run. SA ends up signing Eurotrash and D-Leaguers like Marco/Ayres.

BatManu20
Just looks at Wade's eyes light up like a kid on Christmas morning every time Marco is defending him. That should answer your question for you.

Raven
Wasting the offseason on Belinelli/Errors. :lol hater (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7609)

ElNono
06-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Give some credit to Spo too.... just like Carlisle, he's good at spotting and exploiting matchups

apalisoc_9
06-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Pop disagrees.

SpursOwn
06-08-2014, 10:22 PM
If beli was even half the player of a role player like Malik Rose, Kerr, Horry...we would be rolling. The guy does some good things, but not championship caliber.

DMX7
06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Nick Van Excel was terrible and RJ was pretty bad.

$pursDynasty
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Timmy should call Pop on this because this crap is jeopardizing his 5th ring. NO MORE BELLI. Unless it is garbage time and even then after Baynes AND Ayers.

Malik Hairston
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't think RJ was even nearly as bad, tbh, and RJ was asked to be a defensive stopper, to be fair:lol..

Ferry is a decent choice, and I'm sure there's some competition on the 2001 and 2002 teams that got steamrolled by the Lakers, but I can't remember all the shitty rotation players that the Spurs were playing back then:lol..

jag
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Roger Mason Jr

baseline bum
06-08-2014, 10:28 PM
He has the worst on/off numbers of any Spurs player in the playoffs, and so far in the Finals, he's -18, despite the Spurs team being +13 for the series:lol..

I have never seen a Spurs player so clueless on defense..if you re-watch the game, he actually left James Jones wide open twice, too, but luckily he missed..Wade's eyes light up when Belinelli checks in:lol..

His RAPM numbers have always been shitty, and his defensive reputation was already terrible, prior to joining the Spurs..

Is he worse than Neal? Post-prime Finley? Roger Mason? Blair?

These two should be finalists on this list also

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/02/31/65/630120/3/628x471.jpg

http://imageocd.com/images/nba10/derek-anderson-wallpaper-height-weight-position-college-high-school/derek-anderson.jpg

UZER
06-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Beli is the new old Bonner. He checks in and the other team goes on a run.

If he's not hitting threes, he's killing you on both sides of the floor.

Raven
06-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Beli is the new old Bonner. He checks in and the other team goes on a run.

If he's not hitting threes, he's killing you on both sides of the floor.

wasn't bonner the +- king?

UZER
06-08-2014, 10:31 PM
wasn't bonner the +- king?

In the playoffs?

baseline bum
06-08-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't expect Del Negro to not get murdered on defense. But it pisses me off seeing him pass up wide open threes. I can forgive it when it was Brent Barry or when it's Diaw passing up open threes since they're such good passers, but if Del Negro isn't shooting every time he gets an open three what the fuck is he playing for?

TD 21
06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Probably. The genius just decided that, because he's white/foreign, he's a high IQ player and a "good basketball player". He is good at moving without the ball; I'll give him that. But he has no defensive IQ whatsoever and this notion that he can handle and make plays is ludicrous. Big deal if he's slightly better than Green in those areas; Green's superior shooting and vastly superior defense far exceeds that.

Let's hope and prey the officials actually give Leonard and Green a fair shake in game 3 and that they play well enough that the genius figures out that he needs to largely play with a three wing rotation. A fourth for spot minutes can be Mills, since he can guard Allen some.

Raven
06-08-2014, 10:35 PM
In the playoffs?

i see

Uriel
06-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Half of SpursTalk could score on Beli, tbh. But Neal was an atrocious defender as well. Even worse, I think.

$pursDynasty
06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Does anyone have the twitter or email access to the Emil Perez (sp ?) of ESPN Deportes? Because they should email him some better questions, most importantly, "Coach Pop, with the defensive liabilities that Bellinelli presents the Spurs with and when he isn't hitting his shots, why is he so high in the rotation?" First because I would really like to hear Pop's answer, and secondly because that guy has crapped the bed in both after game shows.

spursparker9
06-09-2014, 08:07 AM
At leas RJ got athleticism

smaka
06-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Yes. As many mentioned, Neal at least took some charges and didn't disappear on offensive end.

said7
06-09-2014, 08:13 AM
He's terrible. Absolutely terrible. I would honestly rather see mills try to guard wade.

elemento
06-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Crazy but he might be worse than Neal :lol

he is easily the biggest disappointment of this season

coachmac87
06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
He's terrible. His game has gone down hill months ago..maybe he's hurt? Spurs gotta play Kawhi, Green, and Manu on the wings.. And if they get in foul trouble again play Mills and Parker together and have Parker guard Wade for stretches..anybody but Beli. Patty has actually played really well when he's been on the floor.

Diaw on James and Beli ok Wade have been terrible match ups so far...it's obviously not by choice due to foul trouble but Pop can't continue to rely on them defensively

peskypesky
06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
I've never seen a Spur lose his man as often as Smellynelli.

spurspokesman
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Marco is a dingbat that im tired of looking at. Dude constantly surrenders open shots and can't stay with his man

kaji157
06-09-2014, 12:07 PM
The guy is just scared out there, you can seel the fear in his face everytime he is either attacking or defending. Uselsess.
Also there is no one on the Heat that he can cover, and is not like he is shooting lights out, i really donīt understand why Cory Joseph seems unable to get minutes over him.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/856206623.gif

BillMc
06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
While I think the Belinelli hate on here is more than a bit much, I'd like to see Cojo get some of his minutes. He's smaller, but a tenacious defender. And something the way Corey carries himself makes me think he has no fear. He was so inspiring in brief runs in those last few OKC games.

Darius Bieber
06-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Like I've said before, the Spurs front office somehow managed to make the team worse in the off-season by basically trading Blair&Neal for Belinelli&Ayres. I'd take Blair and Neal in a heartbeat anyday.

Spur|n|Austin
06-09-2014, 03:04 PM
While I think the Belinelli hate on here is more than a bit much, I'd like to see Cojo get some of his minutes. He's smaller, but a tenacious defender. And something the way Corey carries himself makes me think he has no fear. He was so inspiring in brief runs in those last few OKC games.

I was hoping for the same thing in Game 2..

weeks
06-09-2014, 03:13 PM
it's sad but i really do miss neal and blair now. at least they had some cojones.

fuck you PATFO for putting me in a situation where i have to say such things

baseline bum
06-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Pop should have sent him in to RC's office to negotiate a buyout right there.

Raven
06-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Pop should have sent him in to RC's office to negotiate a buyout right there.

i'd rather see him flat out fired tbh. sad part, it's not the ugliest looking defensive move from him in this year.

spurraider21
06-09-2014, 05:08 PM
can't be positive exactly who's fault that is, but benefit of the doubt to diaw

Kidd K
06-09-2014, 05:11 PM
No, you're forgetting about the legendary Chris Quinn. Calling his defense "rice paper" is giving him too much credit. At least rice paper has a quarter pound of resistance.

objective
06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Anyone who watched him this year had to know that his defense would cost the Spurs playoff games.

Except Pop.

It's really disgusting.

This series is all on Pop. Win or Lose. Pop can't control missed free throws, he can't control bad fouls, he can't control bad calls.

But he can control one thing: who plays.

And playing Marco Belineli is no different than throwing a game.

HI-FI
06-09-2014, 05:14 PM
this.

CoJo gave the team spark and life to overcome OKC with his game 3 performance. He's a tenacious defender. I really hope he gets some serious burn for the Finals. It seems if you have an interesting or foreign accent like Belinelli or Parker, you always get a longer leash, but hopefully Pop will come to the realization and put in better defenders like CoJo.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 05:17 PM

True, but like you said, I'll give Diaw the benefit of the doubt..it also looked like Boris was actually talking during the play, and he knew they fucked up, as you can see him shaking his head at the end of the play..

Belinelli has been lost on defense, all year, he loses his assignment more than any player I've ever seen..it's fine to be at a physical disadvantage and lack lateral quickness/size/athleticism, but it's another thing to completely lack defensive IQ and instincts..

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
And it doesn't have to be Joseph, as Patty Mills has been fine in this series, so far..he's the opposite of Belinelli, he actually attempts to fight through screens and plays with defensive energy, while not being afraid to make a play on offense..

Mugen
06-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Probably gotta see it from another angle, but I think it was supposed to be a straight switch and Beli should have immediately gone to cover Bosh but lingered w/ Allen too long. the Spurs have usually preferred the switch at that instance so far instead of the trap, just my guess...

HI-FI
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I think it was game 1 or 2, Belinelli lost his man and Ginobili let out a huge scream. Duncan and Ginobili need to make Pop see the light. Fortunately, iirc, Belinelli's minutes went down throughout OKC so eventually even Pop's stubbornness will give in.

Raven
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM

really? you can't? like when you were positive that belinelli is a huge upgrade over neal?

Mugen
06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Worst thing that happened for the Spurs was Danny's early foul trouble in game 2 and Beli hitting a 3 in that stint. Pop will usually give you a huge leash if you can hit that early 3 unless you're a black player born in one of the 50 states tbh.

spurraider21
06-09-2014, 05:29 PM
really? you can't? like when you were positive that belinelli is a huge upgrade over neal?
marco had been a much better player for the spurs during the season than neal ever was. he has shrunk in the playoffs and i can't really back him up at this point

UZER
06-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I think it was game 1 or 2, Belinelli lost his man and Ginobili let out a huge scream. Duncan and Ginobili need to make Pop see the light. Fortunately, iirc, Belinelli's minutes went down throughout OKC so eventually even Pop's stubbornness will give in.

That Manu scream play was actually against okc iirc.

Beli is decent at harassing His man prior to catching the ball. It's the whole defensive rotation scheme the spurs run that he keeps screwing up :lol.

It's just funny because before he left Allen on that play I was screaming "dont leave him, DON'T LEAVE HIM!" and sure enough he did. You could sense it coming.

Mugen
06-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Yup, Beli has had a terrible postseason run. Thankfully, the Spurs don't need him to be successful to win this series. Pop just needs to stop playing him and shorten the rotation.

Raven
06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
marco had been a much better player for the spurs during the season than neal ever was. he has shrunk in the playoffs and i can't really back him up at this point

dude, he was terrible since january and he was acceptable before strictly because none was guarding him, that's all that there is. And defensively he is much much worse, which is saying something.

DarrinS
06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Yup, Beli has had a terrible postseason run. Thankfully, the Spurs don't need him to be successful to win this series. Pop just needs to stop playing him and shorten the rotation.

This

But I don't think Beli is a worse defender than Neal.

BillMc
this.

CoJo gave the team spark and life to overcome OKC with his game 3 performance. He's a tenacious defender. I really hope he gets some serious burn for the Finals. It seems if you have an interesting or foreign accent like Belinelli or Parker, you always get a longer leash, but hopefully Pop will come to the realization and put in better defenders like CoJo.

If only Cory were from Montreal instead of Ontario.:lol

Raven
Worst thing that happened for the Spurs was Danny's early foul trouble in game 2 and Beli hitting a 3 in that stint. Pop will usually give you a huge leash if you can hit that early 3 unless you're a black player born in one of the 50 states tbh.

... when i said the worst thing for the spurs is when he makes his shots.. :lol @ "if he can hit his threes, that would be huge for the spurs" said like two days ago or so...

DarrinS
06-09-2014, 05:40 PM
That Manu scream play was actually against okc iirc.

Beli is decent at harassing His man prior to catching the ball. It's the whole defensive rotation scheme the spurs run that he keeps screwing up :lol.

It's just funny because before he left Allen on that play I was screaming "dont leave him, DON'T LEAVE HIM!" and sure enough he did. You could sense it coming.

Over-helping on rotations. Borris left him too.

UZER
06-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Over-helping on rotations. Borris left him too.

Boris was supposed to leave him. Beli got faked out by the Allen fake pass so he scrambled to cover the guy he thought the ball was going to. Boris was moving to cover that guy initially but paused when he saw beli turn his full body around, so Diaw tried to recover on Allen.

The sequence is pretty funny if you watch beli looking completely lost.

rascal
06-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Players know who the worst defenders are on the opposing teams and great teams attack them. Marco and Bonner get it the worst.

White boys. Don't put too many white guys on the court at the same time.

therealtruth
06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I think we need Cory Joseph. The answer to struggling to score isn't Beli. It's better defense. We've got enough scorers.

Yuixafun
06-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Boris was supposed to leave him. Beli got faked out by the Allen fake pass so he scrambled to cover the guy he thought the ball was going to. Boris was moving to cover that guy initially but paused when he saw beli turn his full body around, so Diaw tried to recover on Allen.

The sequence is pretty funny if you watch beli looking completely lost.

Yea when I watched it, seemed like Boris was yelling at Marco that Allen still had the ball, but Marco is all blitzed face, which way did it goooo??

So Diaw has to redirect back to Allen, letting out a huge.... :maaan" as he knows he's recovering to a lost cause.

I wish we could see Allen's face lol... As his pump fake worked, he saw Belli turn, he saw Diaw start to rotate... and then he stands there for a split second, almost rotates the ball in his hand before he shoots it.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Steve Kerr was pretty abysmal too, but he hit 3's at least.

cd021
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't know man... I still think Neal is worse Malik Hairston (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18403)...

I still have no idea how this Neal clutch thing got started. Green has been every bit as clutch or ,more so.

But Neal is remembered as a clutch role player and Green is still a polarizing player on ST.

DAF86
06-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Green deserves a lot more minutes, tbh.

heyheymymy
06-10-2014, 04:23 AM
I agree, give cojo some mins to spell parker/green instead of marco at this point. guy played with heart in the okc series so I figure he can carry some of that over for this round.

Drom John
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
In the regular 2013-2014, Marco Belinelli was 85th out of 90 for SG Defensive Real Plus Minus. That's very bad.

90th was Gary Neal.

Offensive Real Plus Minus, Belinelli was 28th, Neal 30th.

Belinelli is a slight upgrade on both ends of the court.

And yes I wanted/want to see more Cory Joseph in this series.