PDA

View Full Version : Homeless protest proposed panhandling ban

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Homeless protest proposed panhandling ban

By KRISTEN WYATT
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- Homeless people and dozens of their advocates spent the night at City Hall to show their opposition to a proposed panhandling ban backed by businesses in the city's downtown.

"It's far from out of control," said Ronald Lee, a 48-year-old Washington, D.C., native who has been homeless in Atlanta for eight months.

"In our nation's capital, people ask for money right in front of the White House," he said. "If someone wants to assist you, I don't see a problem with it."

Lee was among those who gathered on the steps before a planned vote on the ban Monday by city leaders - a vote that was delayed last month after a contentious meeting that included shouting matches and hissing from critics.

Advertisement

The proposed resolution would make it illegal to beg for money near downtown hotels or tourist sites. On a third offense, beggars could be jailed or fined.

Downtown business owners say aggressive beggars are keeping people away from the central business district. Last month, Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus, who is bankrolling the $200 million Georgia Aquarium being built downtown, threw his support behind the ban, saying the success of the attraction depends on its passing.

Advocates are instead pushing for affordable housing and a living wage for the city's homeless population, saying the ban would criminalize a person's right to ask for charity when they cannot take care of themselves.

"People have the right to ask, and people have the right to say no," activist and former city council member Derrick Boazman said.

Marcus, a billionaire philanthropist, said he has donated $600,000 through his foundation to the Gateway Center, a 300-bed facility for the city's homeless.

Several critics call the proposed ban a civil rights issue since many of the beggars are black.

"This is really about poor, black men. We're bad for business," said Joe Beasley, a 68-year-old Atlanta native who heads the regional office of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

samikeyp
08-15-2005, 10:00 AM
"This is really about poor, black men. We're bad for business," said Joe Beasley, a 68-year-old Atlanta native who heads the regional office of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

yes because there are no homeless white, hispanic or asian people. :rolleyes

batman2883
08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Get A Fucking Job Bums

cmc$purs
08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Last month, Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus, who is bankrolling the $200 million Georgia Aquarium being built downtown,

thats like 800 hightech shitters :lol

MannyIsGod
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Well, considering I don't live in Atlanta, I couldn't really care less about whatever point Clandestino was trying to make and what laws the Atlantians are trying to pass.

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, considering I don't live in Atlanta, I couldn't really care less about whatever point Clandestino was trying to make and what laws the Atlantians are trying to pass.

You don't live in Iraq, so why do you give a fuck what is going on over there dickhead?

MannyIsGod
08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't. Which is why I didn't want our military over there. You're too fucking stupid to know when your questions are going to do more damage to your stance.

TheTruth
08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
You don't live in Iraq, so why do you give a fuck what is going on over there dickhead?
I'm sure it has to do with the Americans that are dying.

MannyIsGod
08-15-2005, 11:26 PM
:lmao

I just read it again, and it made me laugh more. Military fucking intelligence. No wonder we don't know who is buying uranium where. We have people doing the job that can't connect 2 fucking dots!

Clandestino
08-15-2005, 11:44 PM
manny, you're the biggest joke here.. i've said this before, but i'll say it again, bc i still laugh at it.. you act like the smartest guy in the fucking world.. you even have your name as "mannyisgod" :rolleyes

however, you are poor as fuck, do dead end jobs, henpecked by your chick, can't even afford a car that runs more than a couple weeks, etc...

really, smart guy... now, that is the funniest shit to me! :lmao

MannyIsGod
08-15-2005, 11:53 PM

We've been through this before.

I'd love for you to answer this:

What kind of car do I drive right now?
What kind of work do I do right now?
What is the balance of my bank account?

Oh and, most importantly, how many times has Manny made you look stupid. Oh, but we'll let OTHER people answer that one. Everytime I make you look stupid, you try to deflect it by either:

1) Posting monkey pictures
2) Saying Jess tells me what to say.
3) Acting as though you know things about me and trying to make them seem bad.

But one thing remains constant; you have to keep falling back on trying to do those things because I constantly leave you with no other recourse by pointing out your stupidity.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:00 AM

We've been through this before.

I'd love for you to answer this:

What kind of car do I drive right now?
What kind of work do I do right now?
What is the balance of my bank account?

Oh and, most importantly, how many times has Manny made you look stupid. Oh, but we'll let OTHER people answer that one. Everytime I make you look stupid, you try to deflect it by either:

1) Posting monkey pictures
2) Saying Jess tells me what to say.
3) Acting as though you know things about me and trying to make them seem bad.

But one thing remains constant; you have to keep falling back on trying to do those things because I constantly leave you with no other recourse by pointing out your stupidity.

everyone knows jekka(what kind of fucking name is that btw) wears the pants... it is funny you can't even stand up to your own chick... maybe that is the modern thing... i don't know...

the monkey pictures crack me... and the, "which one is manny had everyone rolling!"

and the only shit i know about you is what you post on here..which is pretty much your life story.. the work you do, when you bike your ass all over town, when manu didn't tip your sorry ass after you valeted his car, when your piece of shit cars break down, how much you love public transportation, etc... you post your life man...

TheTruth
08-16-2005, 12:04 AM
public transportation sucks ass

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't care about the monkey pictures, I don't care about you posting that Jess leads me by a leash because I find both funny. I don't even care about you posting what you think you know about my life because I think it is rather funny how wrong you are half the time, yet how right you think you are.

But the funniest thing of all, is the fact, that you aren't in my leauge when it comes to intellectual discourse. Now, that doesn't mean I'm the smartest man in the world. Far from it. You are not the sort of individual that makes for a great yardstick to judge intelligence with. No, that would be like trying to measure the depth of the ocean with a ruler in centimeters.

What does it mean then? That I am smarter than you.

I'll sit back and wait for the canned Clandestino answer now. I just wonder which of the 3 flavors I'm getting.

SequSpur
08-16-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't like panhandling because I don't like strangers coming up to my car window or approaching me in a parking lot when I am getting out either.

I don't know what the answer is, but panhandling is not the answer.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
But the funniest thing of all, is the fact, that you aren't in my leauge when it comes to intellectual discourse. Now, that doesn't mean I'm the smartest man in the world. Far from it. You are not the sort of individual that makes for a great yardstick to judge intelligence with. No, that would be like trying to measure the depth of the ocean with a ruler in centimeters.

What does it mean then? That I am smarter than you.

I'll sit back and wait for the canned Clandestino answer now. I just wonder which of the 3 flavors I'm getting.

haha..intelluctual discourse... reminds me of the saying, those that can, do...those that can't, teach... you may be able to talk a lot of shit, but you have never really ever done anything in your life...

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't like panhandling because I don't like strangers coming up to my car window or approaching me in a parking lot when I am getting out either.

I don't know what the answer is, but panhandling is not the answer.

yeah, screw the panhandlers.. i especially hate every organization now seeks to do that instead of regular old fundraisers.. i saw a little league team panhandling the other day at the intersection of dezavala...

T Park
08-16-2005, 01:28 AM
theres a difference between fundraising and freakin bums that dont want to work, begging for money dumbass.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 01:40 AM
begging is begging any way you look at it you fat fuck..

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:45 AM
dumbass.

fat fuck..

Unnecessary.

Try to discuss/debate without name calling.

Ginofan
08-16-2005, 04:48 AM
theres a difference between fundraising and freakin bums that dont want to work, begging for money dumbass.
But how do you know that if indeed it's for fundraising, that it's legit? I've seen "Underprivileged Children Fund" written on a piece cardboard sitting on top of an empty pickle jar countless times...

Spurfect
08-16-2005, 08:04 AM
I love how you can't ever have one thread without fighting... :lol

batman2883
08-16-2005, 08:20 AM
This thread just makes me mad...fuck homeless people they should get their lazy asses up and get a job......matter of fact next homeless person i see, i'm swinging on

Useruser666
08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Sorry, but I don't agree with allowing panhandling of any kind. If they can set up infront of a business or start something like a fundraising car wash that's different. Standing on street corners or overpasses on highways is dangerous to both them and traffic. It also causes traffic problems/delays.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I thought the new ordinance outlawed fundraising going through the streets (because the SAFD took a hit with their "Fill the Boot" program).

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I thought the new ordinance outlawed fundraising going through the streets (because the SAFD took a hit with their "Fill the Boot" program).

The Alamo Heights Fire Department still does that....I don't mind donating for that, but over here by the airport/281/Jones Maltsberger/Bitters area...there are people here EVERYDAY.

I'll never forget one day my mom saw this guy at 410 & McCullough begging for money with a sign that said he was hungry....so my mom went and got him some food and went back. When she tried to give it to him, he told her he didn't want the food he wanted the money....so my mom told him to go fuck himself. And yes, she dropped the F-Bomb. Damn, that pissed her off. :lol

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 08:53 AM
haha...pretty funny...

but maybe some homeless are scared of donated food because some people could spit in it or even poison it...

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
haha...pretty funny...

but maybe some homeless are scared of donated food because some people could spit in it or even poison it...

No, he was a total asshole to her....which tells me that he wasn't looking for money to buy FOOD.

Jester1525
08-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Only time I've ever given to a begger was when one walked up to me and said 'Look, I'm not going to lie to you. I want $5 for booze.'

I gave him $5 and the laugh was worth the price.

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm suprised no one else caught this.......

On a third offense, beggars could be jailed or fined.

:lol How is the govt going to fine a homeless person?

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm suprised no one else caught this.......

:lol How is the govt going to fine a homeless person?

ha ha ha take away his shopping cart

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Back to topic. I could see from the business owner/mgt perspective how I would feel if I had beggars right outside my store or office. It doesn't look good for business because subconsciouly, people will either avoid the store or the store's image would hurt.

On the other hand, from a personal standpoint, I don't think they should make panhandling completely illegal. If a person wants/needs to beg for money on the streets--that his/her perogative, just like it's my perogative to give or not give him/her money.

I personally prefer to give beggars some food instead of money. Like, I'd go buy them a sandwich or bag of chips or soda or something and give that instead of money--because who knows what they'll spend that on (probably cigarettes).

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 11:58 AM
haha..intelluctual discourse... reminds me of the saying, those that can, do...those that can't, teach... you may be able to talk a lot of shit, but you have never really ever done anything in your life...
:lol

I think its funny I tell you what you do, I tell you what you're going to do, and you do it.

So, since you know my life, want to write my biography? Want to start with my name?

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
You mean you're name isn't Manny God? :lol

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 12:24 PM

I'm not going to take the jokes that could come from your last comment.

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 12:28 PM

I'm not going to take the jokes that could come from your last comment.

:lol Damn..........

Jimcs50
08-16-2005, 12:28 PM
I think Duff should start panhandling so he can pay me back.

:)

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 12:29 PM

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 12:38 PM

d'oh!!! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

samikeyp
08-16-2005, 12:40 PM

nahh that would require work and blow his whole "teenage angst (although I'm in my 20's)" thing :)

Shelly
08-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Duff's hoping you'll forget.

I don't give panhandlers anything. (And I'm rarely downtown) Since I live and die by the almighty debit card, I never have cash anyway. And I was extremely happy that Target banned the Salvation Army from their entrance at Christmas time.

Heartless? Maybe so. But I have a one way ticket to Hell anyway.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:50 PM

I think its funny I tell you what you do, I tell you what you're going to do, and you do it.

So, since you know my life, want to write my biography? Want to start with my name?

Manuel Salgado

I'm sure you have 2-3 others, but who cares..

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 12:51 PM

So you don't know my life. Damn, I was hoping you'd be able to write my biography for me.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:52 PM
you said, start with your name.. that is your name.

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Duff's hoping you'll forget.

I don't give panhandlers anything. (And I'm rarely downtown) Since I live and die by the almighty debit card, I never have cash anyway. And I was extremely happy that Target banned the Salvation Army from their entrance at Christmas time.

Heartless? Maybe so. But I have a one way ticket to Hell anyway.

You don't like the Salvation Army?

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
born a poor mexican, picked some cotton, lived in the projects.. no dad around... mom raised you. you're a momma's boy... now you're henpecked bc you never had a father around to show you how to be a man... now, you post your idealistic, but unrealistic views here day and night.. still a poor mexican... that is about it..

1Parker1
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
born a poor mexican, picked some cotton, lived in the projects.. no dad around... mom raised you. you're a momma's boy... now you're henpecked bc you never had a father around to show you how to be a man... now, you post your idealistic, but unrealistic views here day and night.. still a poor mexican... that is about it..

In Manny's defense, that could be the life story of any minority! :angel

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
In Manny's defense, that could be the life story of any minority! :angel

henpecked and posting idealistic views? i think not...

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 01:03 PM
for a dime a day
and a place to stay
theyd turn those hands to labor

Shelly
08-16-2005, 01:26 PM
You don't like the Salvation Army?

I don't like being bombarded every time I walk into Target or any other place by someone asking for money. Just like I don't like people ringing my doorbell trying to sell me something.

Unless it's candy or GS cookies, Go Away!

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Atlanta council approves panhandling ban

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/16/atlanta.panhandling.ap/index.html

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Biographies aren't supposed to be works of fiction. So, you may want to get my name right, and then when you're done with that you can get my life right.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
it is exactly right...

T Park
08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't like being bombarded every time I walk into Target

Yeah the salvation Army is really pushy ringing that bell and all.

Nice.....

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Nice.....

Why do they have to ring anything? It's annoying as all-hell and it's not like any one is going to miss them standing right in front of the door.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
a lot of angels get their wings at christmas time

dont you watch movies?

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM
a lot of angels get their wings at christmas time

dont you watch movies?

You're right....I forgot about that part...... :oops :)

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 03:16 PM
it is exactly right...
Because you say it is? Well, fuck. Thanks for correcting me on my own information!

Shelly
08-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Nice.....

Yeah, they are. Because when I tell them I don't have any cash when I walk in, I have to tell the SAME person I don't when I walk out.

Personally, I don't think any organization should be camped out in front of any retail outlet. If I want to donate to a charity, I will contact them..

Jimcs50
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, they are. Because when I tell them I don't have any cash when I walk in, I have to tell the SAME person I don't when I walk out.

Personally, I don't think any organization should be camped out in front of any retail outlet. If I want to donate to a charity, I will contact them..

Shelly, you are just feeling guilty here. My experience with the Salvation Army is they just stand there ringing the bell, they do not ask you to donate at all. All you have to do is just walk into the store...you do not have to explain why you are without any cash...I think you are just thinking that you have to explain yourself, and that is why they bother you...yes?

They are nothing like the Girl Scouts who ask you ad nauseum going in and out of the grocery stores if you want their cookies. I just give them a few dollars and tell them to keep their cookies.

Shelly
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Nah...I don't feel guilty.

And I HAVE had them ask me if I'd like to make a donation...several times.

However, my cookie connection is moving...sniff.

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
However, my cookie connection is moving...sniff.

Find a new connect!! (http://www.sagirlscouts.org/contact_us.htm)

ObiwanGinobili
08-16-2005, 05:04 PM
They are nothing like the Girl Scouts who ask you ad nauseum going in and out of the grocery stores if you want their cookies. I just give them a few dollars and tell them to keep their cookies.

geesh! at least take the cookies and give them to those of us who have major GS cookie addictions!!

Shelly
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Find a new connect!! (http://www.sagirlscouts.org/contact_us.htm)

Actually, my good friend's daughter is a scout, so she can hook me up. It's just that this one girl had the neighborhood covered. She beat out everyone in the cookie selling dept.!

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
geesh! at least take the cookies and give them to those of us who have major GS cookie addictions!!

No kidding...WTF?

For as many years as I sold Girl Scout cookies (door-to-door, in a box, ready-to-eat--none of that ordering it shit) ... I buy them from every Girl Scout I can find...

:angel

Jester1525
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
And I HAVE had them ask me if I'd like to make a donation...several times.

My roommate works for the salvation army and during Christmas is a bell ringer. I'd have to ask him (damn, I hate having to talk to him...:bang) but I don't think they are supposed to ask. All they are supposed to do is ring the stupid bell.

Incidently, I've got a friend who's favorite thing to do each year is to buy bells from the ringers, take them home, fill them with cotton and put them on her fireplace for decorations.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if there were some people who were pushy about it because they do get a bonus if they have the highest donation total in a particular area.

I just give to the cute female ones myself.

ObiwanGinobili
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM
No kidding...WTF?

For as many years as I sold Girl Scout cookies (door-to-door, in a box, ready-to-eat--none of that ordering it shit) ... I buy them from every Girl Scout I can find...

:angel

:tu me too! i think all those years ispent schleping them door to door got me hooked on them.. i alawys try to buy enough to last me the year.. but they don't make it thru a month in my house :oops

and i think those girls scouts in front of walmarts and walgreens with a table full of cookies just fooling around all day are getting off wayyyyyyy too easy!
I had to WORK HARD to sell my cookies dang it!! :spin

T Park
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM

lol

g u i l t thats what shes feelin tooday

good lord Shelly.

Standing there, smiling, and ringing a bell is pressure??

Jesus christ, Id had to see you in traffic, youd practically snap and start pushing cars out of the way.

Why do they have to ring anything? It's annoying as all-hell and it's not like any one is going to miss them standing right in front of the door.

Because its attention getting.

Its also tradition for that time of year.

Holy shit people its a charitbale organization and your lumping them in with Henry the homeless town drunk??

perspective PLEASE people holy shit.

samikeyp
08-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I do the same thing Shelly does and I don't feel guilt and I doubt she does. Common sense dictates that if you tell a person no on the way in to the store that you shouldn't have to repeat your answer on the way out. You go into the store to spend money...so if you don't have enough to give on the way in knowing that you have a certain amount to spend, what makes you think you will have more after you spent it. Charity begins at home, if I have money to spend at Christmas, it goes to my wife and family. If that makes me a snob or heartless, so be it. I don't begrudge the people who do it. They make that choice and I respect it....I deserve the same respect for my choice.

Shelly
08-16-2005, 06:23 PM
lol

g u i l t thats what shes feelin tooday

good lord Shelly.

Standing there, smiling, and ringing a bell is pressure??

Jesus christ, Id had to see you in traffic, youd practically snap and start pushing cars out of the way.

Because its attention getting.

Its also tradition for that time of year.

Holy shit people its a charitbale organization and your lumping them in with Henry the homeless town drunk??

perspective PLEASE people holy shit.

Yeah, Tpark. I feel so guilty. You have me pegged.

If it made me feel guilty, I would have said so and would have been guilted into donating. Unlike you, I don't say one thing and then turn around and say something else.

Thanks for playing.

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 06:24 PM
And I choose what organizations I give too, also. Not that the Salvation Army is a bad one, please don't get me wrong....but I give truck-loads of stuff to the Medina Children's Home every year. I have ZERO to feel guilty about.

I just hate that fucking bell. :cuss

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm with Shelly, I don't mind them ringing the bell, but that's not all they do. They ask for money as you walk in and then they ask again when you walk out. If they aren't supposed to ask, then that's weird because they always ask me.

SpursWoman
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
They usually ask me too...or I get a steeley-eyed stare. Pretty damn mean looking for charity, if you ask me.

:wow :lol

Shelly
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
And I choose what organizations I give too, also. Not that the Salvation Army is a bad one, please don't get me wrong....but I give truck-loads of stuff to the Medina Children's Home every year. I have ZERO to feel guilty about.

I just hate that fucking bell. :cuss

Exactly! I'm always giving close away to charity. In fact, I have a new pile going right now and noticed that Kohl's has a Medina Children's Home, (I think it's them) donation station in their parking lot. I need to go back there to return some stuff, so I can just dump all of it off there. :)

Shelly
08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm with Shelly, I don't mind them ringing the bell, but that's not all they do. They ask for money as you walk in and then they ask again when you walk out. If they aren't supposed to ask, then that's weird because they always ask me.

I rest my case.

I do feel guilty if I have no change for the Fireman boot...especially if they're cute! :lol

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:20 AM
I do feel guilty if I have no change for the Fireman boot...especially if they're cute!

You and my wife both! :)

Dos
08-17-2005, 07:45 AM
they can create a panhandling zone, fence it off.. and let everyone that want's to give them money be able to walk down there and hand it to them... that way competition would be created.. and we'd have more bum fights dvd's to buy...

Jimcs50
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
I rest my case.

I do feel guilty if I have no change for the Fireman boot...especially if they're cute! :lol

screw the firemen...all they do is pose on calendars.