PDA

View Full Version : 10th Anniversary of the End of the Southwest Conference

SWC Bonfire
08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
For those out of the San Antonio circulation area, the Express-News posted a special section about the end of the Southwest Conference and formation of the Big XII.

The Great Texas Football Rebellion (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA081405.1N.SWCcover.6f064a1d.html)

N.Y. Johnny
08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
damn SWC i was about to make a thread about that too.

I read that whole article and it is just amazing what was in there. I think Houston fucked themselves when they didnt' take the chance to jump to the SEC when they were invited, instead they were shut out and left to go to the horrible Conference USA.

I had no idea that Texas A&M had a chance to almost go to the SEC, and Texas was trying to get into the Pac 10.

Arkansas started the demise when they left the SWC, and it was hard for some people to see it go, but there's no way in hell the SWC would have survived in this day and age with all the Money going to the Super Conferences now, the SWC as great as it was, only featured the Texas Schools at the end and it would have sunk.

Baylor and Tech with their political connections got in they said huh? I think Texas Tech is holding up very well in the league, and Baylor is just the door mat since they've bitten off way more than they could handle finishing last in the league since its been in existence.

SWC Bonfire
08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I had no idea that Texas A&M had a chance to almost go to the SEC

Well, A&M really wanted to go, because during the early and mid '90's a lot of recruiting was done in Louisiana (RC Slocum was from Orange I believe and coached at Lamar, so he had a lot of contacts in LA). LSU was a regular opponent (PLEASE Football Gods, start this series up again, PLEASE!), and A&M was the big bully in the SWC and needed more quality opponents to bring their standing up nationally.

SEC would have gotten another quality school, but not exposure across all of Texas if UT didn't come with them. A&M wanted to go more than the SEC wanted them.

N.Y. Johnny
08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Recently there were mullings and grumblings..i'm sure its highly unlikely rumors, about Baylor being moved out and replacing them possibly with Arkansas or TCU or another in the Big XII....
I don't think that will happen but, it would be interesting to see maybe Arkansas come back.
Baylor sucks at football and i'm sure the other 11 teams wouldn't want to give up that easy win and bye week :lmao
but they are competetive and won titles in other sports. thats why i thought that talk was rubbish and highly unlikely.

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 08:19 AM
but they are competetive and won titles in other sports.

Exactly. And that is why Baylor will stay in the Big 12. Plus, it elevates the league's academic profile.

Hey, if Vanderbilt can be in the SEC, there is definately room for Baylor in the Big 12.

IcemanCometh
08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
That left the SEC as a possible relocation target for the Longhorns — until Berdahl let it be known that UT wasn't interested because of the league's undistinguished academic profile. Only two of 12 schools in the SEC were American Association of Universities members and UT officials saw admissions standards to SEC schools as too lenient.

A&M, meanwhile, had no qualms about flirting with the SEC.

Oct. 30, 1926: During halftime of an A&M-Baylor game in Waco, A&M students try to climb into a processional car carrying Baylor co-eds. A fight breaks out and senior cadet Charles Sessums of Dallas is struck over the head with a chair. A&M's quick-thinking band director orders the national anthem be played. A&M students come to attention, effectively ending the fight. Sessums, however, dies the next day. As a result of the incident, athletic competition between the two schools is suspended, and does not resume for four years.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:16 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/aggiessuck/36.jpg

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
That left the SEC as a possible relocation target for the Longhorns — until Berdahl let it be known that UT wasn't interested because of the league's undistinguished academic profile. Only two of 12 schools in the SEC were American Association of Universities members and UT officials saw admissions standards to SEC schools as too lenient.

A&M, meanwhile, had no qualms about flirting with the SEC.

FYI, A&M is one of the 62 members of the Association of American Universities.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Harvard likes to call themselves the A&M of the East.

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM

Congrats, you've found cut & paste. The reality is that when you actually attend a school, you don't get down on them when they lose a game. If you were an actual hater, you would have posted a pic of the scoreboard when A&M turned the ball over like 16 times and lost to Southwestern Louisiana 22-29 in 1996. So we're used to it.

I guess you're too young to have jumped on the bandwagon for some of these SWC jems courtesy of Grant Teaff (he's an old guy you've never heard of because he wasn't on ESPN):

84 Baylor 24-Texas 10
86 Baylor 18-Texas 13
88 Baylor 17-Texas 14
89 Baylor 50-Texas 7 IN AUSTIN
91 Baylor 21-Texas 11
92 Baylor 21-Texas 20 (I vividly remember this game, the Texas deep snapper snapped the ball over the punter's head several times. They also had the funky "electronic" chain device that had a magnetic bar that hinged at the bottom of the first down marker.)

I won't get into A&M vs. Texas at the end of the SWC.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
texas did suck in the 80's
not as bad as baylor sucked last year though

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 03:43 PM
texas did suck in the 80's
not as bad as baylor sucked last year though

:lol Are you old enough to remember J.J. Joe, the quarterback for Baylor?

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 03:55 PM
nope
i cant really remember many baylor players
besides quiroga from S.A.

N.Y. Johnny
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM

I think it will be interesting to see this years Game and rematch at Kyle Field
ohh boy i'd be betting the OVER on the over under on that bad boy and its gonna be over 20pts i can guarantee you..If Franchione isn't a puss and calls off the dogs at halftime I bet A&M will be able to drop almost 60+ on Baylor in revenge for that humiliation from last year.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
It took me forever to find the name of the old SWC broadcast company:

"Raycom's SWC Game of the Week"

j-6
08-17-2005, 10:51 AM
:lol Are you old enough to remember J.J. Joe, the quarterback for Baylor?

I remember him and the big bad Baylor triple option. Joe led the last team in history to go an entire game without a pass attempt.

nope i cant really remember many baylor players besides quiroga from S.A.

Jerod Douglas, anyone? He was Jerrell Wilkerson twelve years ago.

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
nope i cant really remember many baylor players besides quiroga from S.A.

Cody Carlson former Churchill and Houston Oiler QB

N.Y. Johnny
08-18-2005, 09:04 PM
nope
i cant really remember many baylor players
besides quiroga from S.A.

NFL Hall Of Famer Mike Singletary came from Baylor.

Gary Baxter from the Cleveland Browns is a decent recent player from BU.

samikeyp
08-19-2005, 08:52 AM
also Robert Strait from Cuero went to Baylor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-19-2005, 10:11 AM

It's been reported that at one of Coach Fran's Chalk Talks with alums this summer someone asked him about the Baylor game and he said something like "we're going to lock the gates and not let them out of here until we're through kicking their asses."

samikeyp
08-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Baylor is toast.

I imagine the Ags will be up for the return to Norman as well this year.

Willinsa
08-19-2005, 08:12 PM
ohh boy i'd be betting the OVER on the over under on that bad boy and its gonna be over 20pts i can guarantee you..If Franchione isn't a puss and calls off the dogs at halftime I bet A&M will be able to drop almost 60+ on Baylor in revenge for that humiliation from last year.

Remember when Stoops called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter when it was 77-0, I think Blowou could have put 100 if not for Stoops showing some mercy and have the clock RUN the WHOLE 4th quarter.

N.Y. Johnny
08-21-2005, 03:35 PM
It's been reported that at one of Coach Fran's Chalk Talks with alums this summer someone asked him about the Baylor game and he said something like "we're going to lock the gates and not let them out of here until we're through kicking their asses."

I hope so, I'm kind of morbid and i like to see thrashings, i mean really good ass kickings...there's nothing that pisses me off more than a team that can drop almost 80 pts on a rival..stop when they're up at halftime 35-0 :lmao

i know its poor sportsmanship and tasteless so whoever wants to come in here with that take spare me, i know its why it don't happen..and thats why Steve Spurrier is usually a hated guy for running up the score....i can understand if you're Florida and have someone like Army down 49-0 at the Half...let it go

but in this case Baylor and A&M are conference rivals and BU really humilated A&M so they got a chip on their shoulder next go round at Kyle field, as would OU when they'd be down coming into Kyle Field, for what happened in Norman the last time.

If the score is 56-3 at the start of the 3rd Qtr let the 2nd and 3rd teams go wild!! :lmao
paybacks a motherfucker :drunk